What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fiji NSWRL Bid Update

CQ Italia

Juniors
Latest Fiji NSWRL Bid update from Petero Civoniceva whilst in Fiji this week (one Fiji Intrust Super Premiership NSW Bid Co-Coordinator) - thanks to FBC News & FBC TV

Fiji Times Online also:
Civoniceva is also trying to secure a Fiji-New South Wales (NSW) bid that will enable a local team selected by the Fiji National Rugby League to play in the NSW competition next year.

"We are working really hard to make that happen and I think that would really be a stepping stone and it could be very well the missing link because I think for our senior players here to get that exposure in to Australian professional competition".

He said they were working very hard to secure some very important sponsorship that would be vital in making the bid happen.

"At the moment we are very close, we are working hard with the New South Wales rugby league and they are very positive about us coming to their competition next year and we are looking at all talents we are not just looking at rugby league players we are looking at all Fijian athletes that will want to be a part of this great opportunity."

He said the selected players would just be professional players and they would just train and play in their facilities that they hoped would be set up in Sigatoka.

http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=370804

And Video news interview upload on their facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/Fiji-NSW-Cup-Rugby-League-530483790362759/?fref=ts

Coastbloke

Bench
I read somewhere yesterday the bid team were in Brissy. Can't find the story now..Anyone know anything..??

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Is this going anywhere or washed up?

Disappointing that literally no Central effort has been made for 2nd tier expansion as was promised when they pushed back Nrl expansion

IntRLEnthusiast

Juniors
After the Hunters won it made me wonder if the Fiji NSW cup bid is going to get up for 2018? Surely the NRL MAKES SURE THIS HAPPENS!

johnny plath

Juniors
No quotes from NSWRL, but according to Fiji times the team is a goer for 2019

http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=422787

A step up to the cup
Elenoa Baselala
Monday, November 06, 2017

FIJI will join the 2019 New South Wales Cup competition following the confirmation of a corporate sponsor.

Former Fiji Bati captain Petero Civoniceva said the inclusion of the team would change the landscape of rugby league in Fiji and boost sports tourism.

At least 30 local players will have a chance to form the team that would compete against 11 teams from Australia and one from New Zealand.

"We now have a great opportunity for our youths and that has been the driving factor for the last three years," Civoniceva said.

Fiji National Rugby League CEO Timoci Naleba said players would no longer dream of playing in the NRL competition.

"They will actually be able to map out their careers," Naleba said.

"They now have a real opportunity to support themselves, their families and of course contribute to furthering economic opportunities for the nation."

The 30 players who will form the Fiji franchise will be contracted for the duration of the competition.

Fiji's high commissioner to Australia Yogesh Punja said the economic opportunities that Fiji would earn from the competition were many.

Mr Punja said the opportunity would be great for sports tourism.

He added this was something the Government had been pushing for.

StadiumXIII

Juniors
So is this happening or not?
TBA unfortunately. Last I heard the Fiji NSW Cup team has to have 100% Fiji based RL players. FNRL apparently owe the Fiji WC players money.. Looks like no at this stage. I'd wait for the confirmation from the NSWRL, Fiji NSW Cup bid and the Fijian RL. Or better yet wait til the start of NSW Cup 2019.