What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The ailments thread

Who is a bigger cancer on forum and on society in general?

• Total voters

Cliffhanger

Coach
I've done something to the talus bone in my left foot, hurts every time I step on my left foot. It started hurting after my run yesterday.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I think if we re-did this poll today, it'd be pisshands by a mile. BM's really pulled his head in.

Neck up, parrot.

BadSport

Juniors
Oh shut up you silly pr*ck:roll:

Well you obnoxious cow, I know Hooch pretty well as it turns out.

In those years when he was posting here he had an artificial disc in his lumbar spine about 2 cm off centre. He was in extreme pain and could not stand up straight, yet he forced himself back to work in this untenable situation. The surgeon had lied about it, and he didn't know.

He had that artificial disc put in because he worked himself in severe pain over a period of years, finally to frank disability, at 28.

Long story short he found out what was wrong, rolled the dice on the insane revision operation, and against all odds he made it! Gave it 6 months before he trusted it to hold steady. He could live again, and all this shit was a waking nightmare that somehow ended.

That failed a number of months later, when he developed severe spinal nerve damage. As a result of the surgeons incompetent diagnosis, performing the wrong operation. And that was it, because you might have one back op that helps, if you are very lucky you might have two. But after a fusion and a revision fusion, that is it. Your future is very likely over, and it was. It is called arachnoiditis, and it is to this sort of devastating disease I was referring to in my post. The fact is it dwarfs all this petty bullshit, these stories about the little aches and pains of life.

5 operations in the end, leaving him frankly disabled. There will be no pension or compensation. Massive medication doses, with quite terrible side effects, psychological and physical. Like living in a bubble. Legs on fire, water in my socks, electric bolts zapping down my spine if the meds wear off, your body exhausted by the stress. Can't sleep, can't keep a schedule, can't maintain a social circle. Can't cash in on the career, find a girl who wants to travel with you, and support her and a family. Spent many years training and developing technical skills, and very obvious unusual talent and potential. Much better at it than them. But you need functional capacity to utilise that, in order pursue that dream in your head, aggressively, against people who have no vision and are profoundly small of spirit.

It's not that he wants your pity, as pity is for vermin. It is just a fact of life, and he knew that doctors disable people, as he did his research prior. He knew that sort of thing exists, because doctors did pronounce him a write off at 20 yo, after they f**ked him over. No one ever spoke of it or acknowledged it. He gradually picked up their pieces of that wreckage, slowly rebuilt, and found his friends and life again, working on a farm in Cardwell. and it was so fantastic, to breathe the air, be alive, and be with your friends. Nothing has ever felt better than working your guts out and pushing f**king hard. To achieve. To make something positive where there was previously nothing.

But that cannot be done again.

Most people have this happen to them on the wrong side of 50, and it is a life shattering event for them. They feel betrayed , and they are. They are not posting on footy forums at that stage of their lives. But they are not conscious of the adult life they had in the interim, and the family they built. Yes, it is over - but you had the chance to create something of worth before it happened. The truth is all we have in life is family, and it is where we find our meaning - our purpose.

I've been robbed of those 20 years in between, and those relationships I so deeply valued.

The friendships, which you'd stake your life on.

This is something of such immense, priceless value. It is the greatest irony that the vast majority of people are unaware they have it. It is like breathing air - you will only ever notice it in its absence - but it is your essence. So you cannot be aware of the existence of this thing of such supreme beauty - that defines you - until it has been wrenched from your grasp. I suppose this is your soul.

and there was Lauren, who asked me to wait. It was so confusing, and she was so beautiful - in her heart. So I did wait, for far too long. But this was the battle I had to fight, against disability, and it is was always going to take a year. So that's what it meant to wait. and in the end I followed her. as I needed to know. I needed to see with my own eyes.. so I could know. In the end, she was the only one who forgave me, when she owed me nothing. The one person who owed me nothing at all. because she loved me, and wanted me to have the chance at being all I could be. She wanted me to fight on, and become. Because if not for this, we would have been together, and I would have supported her as she went through her transformation, and fought her battles, as that was how she expressed herself. Her soul needed to seek. I loved her.

You will never understand the extreme effort and sacrifice it took to do all that - and the reasons behind it. The desire to live.

I know most of you guys are just trying to fit in and belong. That's obviously where all the cat calling comes from. You have to signal each other. It's driven by the fear of not fitting in. Some of you are just outright arseholes, who have ended up believing that their image of themselves is who they are. Which is a vanity. It hardly matters, either way. It is only the fear of being isolated which makes you say the stupid and sarcastic remarks, regardless of who you are.

I read some of your comments there, and they are what they are. Just pathetic mocking bullshit from a bunch of wankers, who have been gifted with more than they could ever know, and are utterly unaware. If you don't agree with it - why not just ignore it and move on? Because you guys cling to these bullshit little injuries, as if they have some sort of meaning other than that you are alive.

You take something which means you have everything you could ever need, and turn it into something to whine about. You've got it all the wrong way around, don't you see? Then for you to turn around and have a crack at me for somehow pissing in your breakfast? You guys are f**ked. You are unaware.

Comments like, 'nothing going right in life, eh?' It is just unambiguous bullshit, from a fool.

If I'd known the truth of what they'd done to me at the time, I never would have posted here, as it is a futility, to try and fit in with other people, who can never know and will never accept what has happened to you. It is a terrible and lonely burden, that can't be shared, so you can only let go of these small people.

I learnt all that on the farm, as I inexorably declined a step closer to disability each day. Now I have to undergo that painful decline all over again, and there is no cure or reason at the end. It is meaningless now, unfortunately. When you guys talk about your injuries, most of you are not talking about pain, in the true sense of the word. Most of you do not even understand what real pain is. You do not understand the effect of continuing pain of high intensity, and the universal human response to it. You only understand pain that comes and goes, and pain that goes is pain that never really existed. There are some terrible truths about pain, which we as people refuse to acknowledge, and we as medical professionals obscure with deception and 'medical-ese' absurdities.

True pain is a terrible thing, but we can't accept that. We have to make up comforting tales about it's true nature, and denigrate those who suffer it. We must either equate it to our temporary and manageable issues, or reshape it's very definition. We must imply that it is a predominantly psychological phenomenon, and hence somehow a moral fault of the sufferer. By doing this, we deny the existence of the disease.

We do this ultimately, because it scares us shitless. We cannot abide a world where we are vulnerable. So we redefine it as something intrinsic to the 'other', an intrinsic fault that we by definition do not have, as we do not have such pain. So it is a ridiculous, deterministic system. The alternative is chaos.

The simple truth is there is great horror in the world. But I learnt this long ago.

The more important thing was to travel with your friends. You fight, everybody fights. But when that bullshit is done, you just spend time with them, because you can sense their spirit and you love them.

So I suppose, in that context, you can appreciate why I find your supposed 'ailments' ridiculous, a waste of your time, and your sarcastic remarks pathetic, self indulgent but most of all entirely ignorant of your own great privilege.

As if I wouldn't trade with anyone of you, to sit on a forum and whinge about my tennis elbow, and focus on the minutiae of life... as if I wouldn't just shut the bloody computer down and go fish on the rocks again, with the sun in my eyes, the sea smeared out before me, my heart beating a hundred miles an hour...

Just shut the f**k up and be grateful.

Take care

BadSport

Juniors
Bazal, I am truly happy to meet you in person.

My name is Chris, and I am in Brisbane.

You can pm me and go from there

We both know you would never make such a remark to anyone, anywhere, in person.

You are a very small man, and I cannot comprehend what would drive you to make such a remark. It appears you are just trying to look cool in front of your friends. Which is beyond pathetic and is just sad.

One day you will regret saying that. For yourself.

Last edited:

BadSport

Juniors
You truly are a gutless little man.

You could walk out today and get hit by a car, and your life would change forever.

Only an incomprehensibly stupid person would say what you just did after that..

But it's all an act, isn't it... 'Bazal' with 40 000 posts.

Truth is I wouldn't even wish it on you. It would tear you to pieces, and you'd soon learn what's important and what isn't..

I honestly don't care what you think, 'Bazal',,, you are an irrelevance...

Take care..

BadSport

Juniors
and you Cliffy.. 'haaave you met Hooch'..

I know you had a tough time of it, mentally speaking, and finding your identity.

If this happened to you... all bets would be off..

You were barely coping with your health.. so what if you lose it..

Sometimes discretion is the better part of valour..

So take care..

Bazal

Post Whore
Bazal, I am truly happy to meet you in person.

My name is Chris, and I am in Brisbane.

You can pm me and go from there

We both know you would never make such a remark to anyone, anywhere, in person.

You are a very small man, and I cannot comprehend what would drive you to make such a remark. It appears you are just trying to look cool in front of your friends. Which is beyond pathetic and is just sad.

One day you will regret saying that. For yourself.
You truly are a gutless little man.

You could walk out today and get hit by a car, and your life would change forever.

Only an incomprehensibly stupid person would say what you just did after that..

But it's all an act, isn't it... 'Bazal' with 40 000 posts.

Truth is I wouldn't even wish it on you. It would tear you to pieces, and you'd soon learn what's important and what isn't..

I honestly don't care what you think, 'Bazal',,, you are an irrelevance...

Take care..

Hahahah who the f**k is this clown? "I don't care but I'm going to post two entirely separate rants to show how much I don't care!"

You want to talk about gutless, well there's nothing more gutless than challenging someone to "meet you outside" on an internet forum, old mate.

I think you would be very surprised at what I would say to someone's face. If someone is being an irretrievable dick, I generally call them on it. It's one many qualities that makes me such a lovable rogue.

I think you would also very surprised at how very little you know about my own struggles. Or for that matter, some of those I know in this thread, who you and your mate have so roundly belittled with absolutely no knowledge of their lives whatsoever. What kind of sour f**kwit does it take to one-up someone who is just venting in a tongue in cheek internet forum? One of those people your mate was so disgusted with has almost died on the operating table and subsequently been left in a coma. What a f**king minor inconvenience compared to poor old Hooch, hey?

You reckon I'm a small person? What about the kind of person who gets so fired up about a harmless internet thread where people are venting minor frustrations and feeling a bit sorry for themselves because "OMG I HAD IT SO MUCH WORSE THAN YOU!!!!!" Lighten the f**k up you sorry merkin.

I can't think of many things more pathetic than having such a "look at me" attitude that you begrudge others a bit of harmless venting. Unfortunately it seems like society is full of sad sacks like you and crazy old Hooch these days. Everyone reckons they have it the worst....

BadSport

Juniors
There are many stories in life, Bazal.

Some are told, some aren't.

You seem to think you know all of them.

So you sit there, with all your bullshit judgements, yeah?

It is your great privelege, to exist that way. There is a certain basis for you, on which that is built. You haven't earned it, it's not the result of attitude. It is simple luck.

I haven't extended an offer to fight you. I've offered to talk to you.

In my experience, people simply do not talk amongst themselves in the manner you do.

If you do, you are an arrogant twat - not a loveable rogue.

But it's all part of your persona, here.

You're right, I don't know your true struggles. But I'd never dismiss them either, Bazal. Not my place.

All you'll have are sarcastic and stupid remarks. It's driven by fear. Otherwise it would hardly be worth commenting on, if you truly didn't care.

You should simply consider yourself fortunate.

Bazal

Post Whore
There are many stories in life, Bazal.

Some are told, some aren't.

You seem to think you know all of them.

So you sit there, with all your bullshit judgements, yeah?

It is your great privelege, to exist that way. There is a certain basis for you, on which that is built. You haven't earned it, it's not the result of attitude. It is simple luck.

I haven't extended an offer to fight you. I've offered to talk to you.

In my experience, people simply do not talk amongst themselves in the manner you do.

If you do, you are an arrogant twat - not a loveable rogue.

But it's all part of your persona, here.

You're right, I don't know your true struggles. But I'd never dismiss them either, Bazal. Not my place.

All you'll have are sarcastic and stupid remarks. It's driven by fear. Otherwise it would hardly be worth commenting on, if you truly didn't care.

You should simply consider yourself fortunate.

You have no idea how I think of myself, do not presume that you do. You have no idea what I have and have not earned, nor do I feel the need to explain my experiences to the likes of you.

You talk of arrogance? How arrogant is it to come in to this thread and belittle people about whom you know nothing in the manner your mate Hooch and yourself have done? How shockingly self absorbed is it to presume that you have it worse than them or have somehow had more worthy experiences than others when you have literally never interacted with them?

What you need to understand is that the bloke you are so vigorously and belatedly defending came in here and took pot-shots at people with absolutely no idea what he was talking about. When someone belittles someone else based on nothing but their own self absorbed, poor me attitude, I would suggest that people are well within their rights to laugh at that person. Perhaps, had he come in here and simply said "this is my experience," he would have discovered that many were sympathetic and in fact share similar experiences. Instead, he chose to be a douche canoe and carry on like a prize f**kwit. That is what was the subject of judgement, not his experiences.

No one dismissed his struggles, they dismissed his attitude towards them. It might serve you to work harder at understanding that distinction. You choose to view that as arrogance? Well I believe it is far more arrogant to act like you and your mate have done. Hooch dismissed those in here as not having real problems based on nothing but his own self pity and self absorption. I believe it is a perfectly reasonable response to in turn dismiss his comments, and yours, or to ridicule them for what they are.

If you genuinely wish to talk, I'm all ears, go for it. You've obviously got no problems typing. I've even got my own stories to tell. I am not the kind of person who would turn down a genuine conversation with anyone. But so far, all you and Hooch (all those years ago) have done is talk down to people for absolutely no reason.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
YOU ARROGANT TWAT YOU WILL REGRET THIS FOR YOURSELF!!!!
What the f**k did you just f**king say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the U20's, and I’ve been involved in numerous Rep games on Channel 9, and I have over 300 games. I am trained in the wrestle and I’m the top forward in the entire sports world. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the f**k out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my f**king words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, f**ker. As we speak I am contacting the Daily Telegraph and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re f**king dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can dox you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my spare time. Not only am I extensively trained in Gabas game plans, but I have access to the entire contents of Sam Thaidays phone and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable arse off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your f**king tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you like Julian O'Neil and you will drown in it. You’re f**king dead, kiddo.

To the aquarium!!!

BadSport

Juniors
I am Hooch you fool. If you had read my post you would have seen that.

But it wasn't particularly put there for you.

There were no pot shots taken at anyone in particular in my first post in this thread - and the reaction was over the top.

The fact is if you are posting anywhere about your minor ailments - you clearly have no meaningful pain.

This is the perspective that you lack entirely.

But you would consider that a personal remark, yeah? You would take it as, 'but you are saying my pain doesn't matter'.

Well I am, but that is to your benefit.

You lack perspective, and the bitchy girlish snooting appears to have started already.

There are plenty of other forums out there, where you could read people's experiences. But I expect you would just jump in there and tell them to belt up.

Everything in your attitude tells me everything I need to know. People who have experienced it, simply do not respond as you do.

You have no perspective. If you did, you wouldn't feel the need to mock.

People who mock are the most pathetic of all, and they are always afraid of something. Perhaps a grain of truth sneaking in. You fall squarely into that camp.

I have read many people's stories, and the reaction amongst them is universal. Something akin to horror.

It is this horror that you clearly haven't experienced.

One day you may have an adventure with this. If that does happen, you will look back and regret some of your statements. Because you will truly understand how foolish they are.

But that hasn't happened, so it can have no meaning to you.

The simple fact is what I've experienced isn't particularly common. If you'd experienced something similar you would just sit back and let it be, because it is the truth.

But you've convinced yourself that I hold a particular attitude, and that much flows from that.

Which is somewhat ironic, considering my supposed belittling of your own position.

What I'm telling you, is the response is universal. They simply do not move in your circles. They would be a past friend you 'lost touch' with at best.

The truth is that you would exhibit the same response - if you were in that situation.

It's not that I doubt you can accept that - it's that I know you can't.

This is the privelege you speak from - the one you are unaware of.

That's why you take it as a personal attack, rather than a statement of fact.

My post is there as a reflection of my experience, with a fairly catastrophic event, and I guess part of me coming to terms with becoming pretty profoundly disabled.

If that is not to your liking or tastes Bazal - well you are what you are, and that's all part of it.

I certainly don't doubt that whatever issues you do or have faced, are somewhat minimal in the scheme of these things. Perhaps devastating but acute events that came and went? They are surprisingly well tolerated.

If you had faced something meaningful, you would have developed perspective. Perspective gives people pause, and you quite clearly do not have this.

You can make of it what you will.

I don't think the opinion of you, or your little friend, is of any particular relevance, to anyone.

Now Bazal, this would be the part where you chant back and forth with whoever, and convince yourselves of how right you are - because all men are boys, and need to validate each other.

Go.

latest

Bazal

Post Whore
Oh wow, where do I start with this drivel....haha

I am Hooch you fool. If you had read my post you would have seen that.

But it wasn't particularly put there for you.

You mean your first wall of text? I didn't even read past a few sentences.

What you're saying is you were so cut up about people reacting adversely to you stirring them up and telling them all they were whingers that you came back FIVE YEARS LATER and necromanced the thread just to whinge about it...is that right? Holy shit, that takes a level of "poor me" patheticness I've never even encountered. What a f**king sad sack!

Sad Sack said:
There were no pot shots taken at anyone in particular in my first post in this thread - and the reaction was over the top.

No, YOU JUST CALLED EVERYONE WHINGERS AND TOLD THEM THEIR ISSUES WERE MEANINGLESS.

The fact is if you are posting anywhere about your minor ailments - you clearly have no meaningful pain.

It's called the AILMENTS thread, not the SERIOUS INJURY thread. Do you get the distinction, you self absorbed tosser?

Pathetic Whinger said:
This is the perspective that you lack entirely.

Alright champ, seeing as you seem so dead set on one upmanship and presuming to know anything about me and everyone else, how's this for perspective?

-Two knee reconstructions, same knee. The first new ACL didn't take, and as a result the site got infected. Lost approx. 55% of the cartilage and had to have the MCL replaced as well. Completely non weight bearing for six months, another eight or nine before I could walk properly again without crutches or a cane, and a total of three years before I could run. The Canberra Raiders surgeon told me I would never play sport again. Since that news I have been to an A grade rugby league grand final and played over 100 matches of cricket, 5 seasons as captain for 3 finals appearances and a premiership. I have had severe arthritis in that knee since the surgery in 2006/7 because essentially the entire medial meniscus is gone. As a result I will likely need a total replacement before my 50th birthday.

-In 2013 I was playing cricket and chasing a skied ball. The ground on which we were playing had nets to one side, and someone had hit a ball onto the ground. Tearing full pelt after this skied ball I didn't see this extra ball on the field. The first step on the ball rotated the ankle out, snapping the ligaments and pulling a piece of bone off on end. The second step, because I was at full tear and could stop, the ankle now had zero stability on that side and rolled the other way, tearing the remaining ligaments entirely. I was in a moon boot for 6 months. After relatively minor surgery to clean up the free floating bone fragments, I was told I would need a full ankle reconstruction, but that the odds of success were slim and the recommendation was to fuse the joint. This would mean I could no longer play cricket, or do many of the things I enjoy. So I have chosen to continue without ligaments in my left ankle. I would say I'm sure you can imagine how that feels at times, but based on your opinion that no one has it as bad as you, I'm not actually sure you can.

-As a result of the knee injury (among other things) and following complications both physically and in terms of what it meant for my life at the time, I have suffered depression since the mid 2000s, on top of an anxiety disorder that I have lived with since I was 15. Last year, for example, this led to my hospitalisation having lost almost 15kg in 6 weeks. I have, in the past, come very close to taking my own life.

The difference between you and me, as I see it, is that I do not consider these things to define me. Judging by your comments here, made without a single attempt to gain any of the perspective you claim I lack, you do. I can make light of my own problems. You cling to them as though they make you special.

Whiny Bitch said:
You lack perspective, and the bitchy girlish snooting appears to have started already.

No, you lack perspective. You are blinded by your own issues and refuse, apparently, to see the difference between some light hearted, meaningless therapeutic comments about minor AILMENTS and serious discussion of major trauma or injuries.

Selfish Arse said:
There are plenty of other forums out there, where you could read people's experiences. But I expect you would just jump in there and tell them to belt up.

I am actually a member of several regarding mental illness. Their "perspective" would make you weep for your mother.

Look at Me! said:
Everything in your attitude tells me everything I need to know. People who have experienced it, simply do not respond as you do.

And your attitude tells me you are a sour, self absorbed, pathetic prick who has let his pain define him and become a shrivelled, humourless waste with no sense of empathy.

Were you anything else, you would have accepted that people have a right to their light hearted comments about their minor ailments, rather than jumping on and calling them all sooks.

The fact that I refuse to be stunted miserable old f**k does not mean I "lack perspective", nor does it make you better than me

Arrogant Twat said:
You have no perspective. If you did, you wouldn't feel the need to mock.

I mocked your attitude. It deserved it. I also mock myself. After all, what is life without a bit of a laugh?

I'm seriously asking by the way, judging from your surly attitude I truly believe you can tell me from experience.

Snivelling Wretch said:
People who mock are the most pathetic of all, and they are always afraid of something.

Haha afraid of what? What a ridiculous comment.

Mr Meeseeks Look at Me said:
It is this horror that you clearly haven't experienced.

Haha my god...what did you have, some kind of Lovecraftian back injury?

Get over yourself, deadset

Clueless said:
One day you may have an adventure with this. If that does happen, you will look back and regret some of your statements. Because you will truly understand how foolish they are.

Been there, done that, didn't like it, got better

Twat said:
But that hasn't happened, so it can have no meaning to you.

Yawn. Has anyone ever told you you're quite boring?

Honestly I'm Tired of Changing This said:
The simple fact is what I've experienced isn't particularly common. If you'd experienced something similar you would just sit back and let it be, because it is the truth.

There you go again. Woe is me!

What you've experienced is actually quite common. People move on as best they can. Perhaps you should too?

But you've convinced yourself that I hold a particular attitude, and that much flows from that.

No you've convinced me that you hold a particular attitude, mainly by demonstrating that particular attitude.

What I'm telling you, is the response is universal. They simply do not move in your circles. They would be a past friend you 'lost touch' with at best.

No, they wouldn't. You have no idea where I "move"

It's not that I doubt you can accept that - it's that I know you can't.

What I can't accept is you being a complete merkin for absolutely no reason. Clearly many people felt the same.

Anyway you repeat yourself a lot, do you know that? That's about as far through this steaming pile of rubbish as I can stand to get.

You want to feel sorry for yourself? Go right ahead. But don't run around imposing your misery on others. Especially when you have absolutely no f**king idea where they might be coming from....