What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast Bears/Nth Sydney/Gosford

Check the video again cos he definitely insinuated that Frizelle and Kelly would win the bid even though they are paying 3-4million as opposed to the bears 13m.

I know what I saw.. I want the Bears to buy the Titans so I wouldn't have made this thread if wasn't the way I explained earlier..

Hopefully someone can post the segment in question to prove me correct.

My concern is, does a group that can only offer 3-4 million have deep enough pockets to keep this club going?

We can't afford to be back in this situation in 5 years time.

Perth Red

Post Whore
My concern is, does a group that can only offer 3-4 million have deep enough pockets to keep this club going?

We can't afford to be back in this situation in 5 years time.

Maybe they would rather put the money into the club, rather than the NRL's pockets? Kelly already spent $5mill so I guess he has reasonably deep pockets? Not to mention we have no basis of facts for who is offering what. Bears LC's don't make much profit so maybe NS fans should be worried that spending on the NSW side of the operation will be reduced to cover the losses of the Titans if they are successful?

Maybe they would rather put the money into the club, rather than the NRL's pockets? Kelly already spent $5mill so I guess he has reasonably deep pockets? Not to mention we have no basis of facts for who is offering what. Bears LC's don't make much profit so maybe NS fans should be worried that spending on the NSW side of the operation will be reduced to cover the losses of the Titans if they are successful?

Hopefully that's the case.

We really don't want to be back here again, at least not for a long while.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hopefully so but ther are no guarantees. Look at Newcastle, Tinkler had very deep pockets when he bought them and look at howbthat turned out.

taipan

Referee
I heard from Kent ,it was $7m from the Bears.

Kelly and Frizelle are not lacking on the cash front.In their favour ATM local knowhow, already deeply involved as sponsors and admin of the club.Maybe a decent $1m plus commitment for grassroots from them in addition to the buying in,would help their cause.
I note the West's group paid a lesser amount for the Knights of Picnic Table,but had to commit to spending large amounts on grassroots/Centre of Excellence.
TBH I don't think anyone including Webster,Kent et al ,really knows how much is put on the table and what other incentives are on offer.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Allegedly Watson wants $20mill for the warriors and has turned down a $15mill offer. I think it Is highly unlikely the NRL is going to recoup its loans to the Knights and Titans, or even close to it.

papabear

Juniors
Allegedly Watson wants $20mill for the warriors and has turned down a $15mill offer. I think it Is highly unlikely the NRL is going to recoup its loans to the Knights and Titans, or even close to it.
It depends on what they are selling.

If they are selling the company the loans remain with the company and the new owners (assuming they are both the shareholders and directors of the company) are up for the loans.

Also if they secured them right they could just garnish repayments from the tv money to clubs.

If they arent absolute garys at NRLHQ (which isnt a given) they will get there money back.

davi

Juniors
I'm getting fed up with Billy Moore's harping about bringing the Bears back. Fair enough to have a view on it, but he's had more then one pitch to the media about it. He's figure they have 100 000 members, I wonder how many of them will turn out to watch them :rolleyes:

He also suggests that there would be one game at North Sydney and then when the Titans play other games in Sydney there would 4000 - 5000 turn up to watch them. HOW THE HELL DOES THAT HELP TITANS HOME CROWD FIGURES!!!!!

Seriously get over it the Bears are dead, and this all about North Sydney trying to take them over and move them back to North Sydney. North's couldn't make a merger with Manly work, why would they able to make it work with the Gold Coast?

Billy Moore's catch phrase: Queenslandtraitor!!!!

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...e/news-story/b780dc97c519e876a636c80c17c1377c

King hit

Coach
Well Billy Moore played over 200 games for the Bears and is a one club player who was passionate about them. It shouldn't surprise.

Diesel

Referee
Significant away support in Sydney and Sydney only memberships is a whole other area of revenue and marketing that the current Titans set up don't have.

davi

Juniors
For all the experts suggesting there would be a lack interest in a sale of the Titans the field is very competitive.

Six groups join race to snap up Gold Coast Titans

The race for control of the Gold Coast is more hotly contested than many thought after the NRL confirmed up to six groups were ready to bid to run the Titans.

NRL chief financial officer Tony Crawford revealed confidentiality agreements had been sent on Monday night to the parties who had expressed an interest in taking over the club, among them the respective groups led by director Darryl Kelly and the consortia looking to revive the North Sydney Bears.

The process is expected to take about eight weeks and Crawford said the prospective owners would be consulted over the club’s search for a new coach. The sale of the Titans is expected to be relatively straightforward compared with the painstaking process involved in the sale of Newcastle, who finished in the hands of the Wests Group.

“We have had a series of people over the time we have had the ownership expressing an interest,” Crawford said.

“It’s time to move to the next piece. In the last couple of months we have made contact with each of those parties to work out what their level of appetite is.

“The vast majority do have an appetite to get involved in the process. We’re running a process that goes about eight weeks. I would expect there is going to be five to six parties.

“It doesn’t matter how many start the process: it is how many that are there for the journey that really counts. Some of the syndicates are well known.

“There are people who are very passionate about their Coast, there are other groups who are interested in keeping their brand alive at the elite level.”

The Titans have been flooded with interest despite a disappointing year that culminated in the axing of coach Neil Henry.

Crawford said any potential new owners would be kept informed on the process of replacing Henry, which is expected to ramp up in coming weeks as the club puts together a short-list of likely replacements.

Assistants Terry Matterson and Craig Hodges are likely to be on that list as well as highly rated assistants at other clubs, led by Penrith’s Garth Brennan, South Sydney’s Anthony Seibold and Melbourne’s Adam O’Brien.

St Helens coach Justin Holbrook, a former assistant at the Sydney Roosters, could be a bolter for the role.

Queensland coach Kevin Walters was expected to be the frontrunner but it is understood he is likely to extend his time at the helm of the Maroons rather than take over at the Titans.

Michael Maguire has figured prominently in discussions, and those are sure to intensify following his departure last night from South Sydney despite having two years to run on his contract.

“The thing that is complicated around a sale like that is the fact there is not a coach,” Crawford said. “A footy club needs a first grade coach. We have a process where we’re going to work with interested parties around the coach. But it is most likely a coach will be appointed before the sale is concluded.

“At key decision points we will consult them so they are not blind to the process. Towards the conclusion of that process around a coach we will be pretty deep into the sale process as well.

“By that stage we will have a pretty clear handle on who is real and who has decided they would rather do other things.’’

Crawford said the involvement of a Gold Coast element was important in determining the new owners but other factors would be taken into account.

Kelly was well known to the NRL as a former shareholder in the club and the Bears were armed with the support of powerful private equity player Peter Wiggs.

Crawford said: “One of the themes that was alive in Newcastle will also be really important here — in the view of the league, to be a successful longer term owner, which we are interested in, the final equation must be good for the team, town and game.

“Obviously if you’re a local-based syndicate some of those boxes are easy to tick. Not all maybe.

“Equally, other parties will have a clear understanding of that challenge for them and it will be for them to present their proposition in a way that puts forward their credentials as best they can to deal with that sort of criteria.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...s/news-story/c7ecaf74d257ca143e62d5595c9b3d16

Eelectrica

Referee
Guess we'll know the fate of the Titans in a few months. Hopefully one of the local consortiums gets it. One who knows the area and what it takes to be successful.
A few years of stability, being competitive on the field, and the fans here will be back, like they were when the Titans were first brought in, before the controversy and mismanagement screwed things up.

Marlins

Juniors
Bit useless though, considering their home ground is 1000km north
3000 paid up members is good business all round for the club. Not to mention the overall improvement of having a Qld team actually supported in nsw.

The Great Dane

First Grade
3000 paid up members is good business all round for the club. Not to mention the overall improvement of having a Qld team actually supported in nsw.

But are those 3k members in Sydney and engaging an old supporters base worth losing potentially 8k+ members on the GC and potentially destroying the NRLs' reputation on the GC!?

What, if any, consequences will there be of importing a foreign brand onto the GC?
That's the real question when it comes to the Bears bid, not what the Bears can give, but what they'll destroy in the process.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Frankly, I hope that one of the other bids gets the nod over Kelly and the Bears, because the way I see it Darryl Kelly is the status quo and that hasn't been working, and the Bears are a very risky prospect and frankly I don't trust them not to try and relocate back to NS or the CC some time down the road.

So hopefully at least one of the other bidders has a viable business plan and can take over, preferably one that is cashed up and has some innovative ideas.