What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tennis

Tommy Smith

Referee
It's been an amazing year for Federer but he just didn't look right this time.

Could be a few niggles after his back injury, could be father time finally, or simply a slight drop in desire.

Delpo has a big chance vs Rafa if he plays close to his best; who he thrashed 6-2 6-2 6-2 in the semi en route to winning the US Open in 2009.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Interestingly, Rafa has made the semi without playing a single top 50 player. Quite extraordinary and perhaps a first this century at least.

So I don't think we can even say how well he's playing after an ugly US hardcourt season heading into this tourny.

He got beat by young Shapovalov and thrashed by Nick in the lead up - both aggressive players with big games.

Delpo fits a similar bill.

Apey

Staff member
Yeah I am surprised Nadal is a short favourite. Not like he's looked unstoppable.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Yeah I am surprised Nadal is a short favourite. Not like he's looked unstoppable.

How much tennis Del Potro has played to get there is the question. 5 sets in the 4th round, and a tough 4 setter today. Nadal has really hit the cruise control button all tournament.

Nadal is short enough though, Busta is the best outsider bet though. Anderson might win but it's a silly price.

I just hope Venus loses.

LatK7

First Grade
Very fortunate draw for Nadal. His hardcourt form has looked questionable, but he just hasn't faced the talent you'd expect him to face in a Grand Slam. Delpo is a different story, though Nadal should be able to exploit the weak backhand all night. A question mark over Delpo's fitness as well. He's had a cold/flu and struggled with fitness this season. Hopefully it's a classic. The tournament needs it.

Unfortunate for Fed, his timing was off all tournament. Never really got going after busting his back in Montreal.

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
Del Potro deserved it speaking as a fed fan.

Played the better tennis and went for it, good for him.

Reckon he'll take it now. Expect more of the same v nadal.

LatK7

First Grade
Poor Delpo looked gassed after the first set. Sting went out of his shots as well.

Clever work from Nadal to open up the FH side of the court from the second set. Shouldn't have too many problems in the final. It's been an extremely disappointing major though...it's like a 500. Not sure I can recall an easier run for the finalists. Has anyone played more than one strong set against Nadal?

Tommy Smith

Referee
It's been the lowest quality slam since around 2002 - absolutely dreadful.

No Djoker, Murray, Stanimal, Raonic, Nish.. Dimitrov and Zverev choked in rnd 2. Kyrgios choked rnd 1 as usual.

Federer played busted all tourny.

But you still have to go out there and get the job done and with the wide open draw I've no doubt that Nadal had the bit between his teeth and was going to win it on sheer tenacity alone.

He knew that this was a golden opportunity that won't repeat so he's taken it with both hands.

*edit* apparently it'll be the 1st time someone has won a men's slam in history without facing a top 25 seeded player.

Last edited:

LatK7

First Grade
Says it all...not facing one player in the top 25 seeds. What a gift. He'll blitz Anderson.

Apey

Staff member
Well in shocking news he won. That Aus Open Fed won is huge in terms of grand slam totals. It'd be 18 - 17 instead of 19 - 16 if it had gone the other way.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I'm very confident that Federer has another Slam or two in him; most likely the AO with Novak and Andy rusty and Wimbledon for the next couple of years.

Whether or not Rafa can catch him depends on three things:

1) how many more French Opens he can pick off.
2) how well Novak and Aney come back, especially Novak
3) how quickly the likes of Zverev and Shapovalov can arise as competition because it's clear that Gen Useless - Dimitrov, Raonic, Nishikori etc - will never develop into legit threats.

Nadal is such a ferocious competitor that he'll fight tooth and nail for the Slam record. But I do think he's only got two great seasons left in him.

I feel like he doesn't beat opponents, he lets them beat themselves. Like today he was returning serves from the grandstands but Anderson was too awful to make him pay like Nick can.

How much longer can he do that? And was this non Clay title a bit of a mirage given that he faced no top 20 players?

My prediction is Fed finishes with 20 Slams and Nadal 18. So it'll be super close.

Last edited:

LatK7

First Grade
You've got to hand it to Nadal. He was awful for most of 2015 and 2016, has been atrocious on grass since 2011, hadn't won a hardcourt tournament in 3.5 years...yet here he is winning two slams in 2017. Crazy.

The rest of the year will be interesting. Nadal might opt to protect his #1 ranking, but risks burnout. Similarly, Fed could snatch #1 (via Basel and a record 7th WTF title), though his back hasn't been right since Montreal (he didn't move well at the USO).

The 2018 AO will likely be the most anticipated in years. Everyone will be back (Stan, Djokovic, Murrary...list goes on) and you'd hope Fed and Nadal are rested enough to contend for it. Big, big opportunity for everyone else on the tour, with some big names possibly still underdone. If the courts are as fast as this year, Fed could do some damage. If they're slowed, Nadal will fancy his chances, as well as Djokovic.

Regarding future slams for Fed and Nadal, I'll go 20-18 respectively. Federer for Wimbledon (always a chance), Nadal for a French & Australian (why not?).

I think Nadal has the 2018 & 2019 seasons left, that's it. His best slam chances would likely be Roland Garros and Australia. It's hard to see the USO field being as weak as it was this year. For Fed, as long as he can manage his schedule he'll always be a strong chance at Wimbledon. I'd love to see him win one more USO, though it may be too late in the season for him these days.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Well said.

As we saw in this USO, luck of the draw can also be a huge factor.

Any other year post 2003 and I don't think Nadal was good enough to win.

He was very rusty the first 3 rounds and luckily got 3 of the biggest spuds in the draw. The way Tiafoe played vs Fed he could definitely have accounted for Nadal in rnd 1.

And by the time Nadal faced the only decent opponent of the tourny in Del Potro he had found his rhythm and Delpo was burnt out.

So what I'm saying is that although I don't predict Fed to win another USO, if he gets a draw even half as good as that he's favourite.

Hell, even in the French its not impossible if Rafa somehow bows out and Novak and Stan aren't back on peak form.

Unlikely but this year has shown that anything is possible.

Apey

Staff member
He was very rusty the first 3 rounds and luckily got 3 of the biggest spuds in the draw. The way Tiafoe played vs Fed he could definitely have accounted for Nadal in rnd 1.

And by the time Nadal faced the only decent opponent of the tourny in Del Potro he had found his rhythm and Delpo was burnt out.

Not sure I agree with this... he did what he needed to do vs each opponent. Yeah, he got a near golden run, no denying that. No reason he couldn't have do what he needed to do against any supposedly superior opponent.

LatK7

First Grade
Not sure I agree with this... he did what he needed to do vs each opponent. Yeah, he got a near golden run, no denying that. No reason he couldn't have do what he needed to do against any supposedly superior opponent.

His early exits in the lead ups weren't too encouraging. But who knows? Federer was the only guy stopping him in the AO, Indian Wells and Miami. Querry got him in Mexico.

Nadal is definitely vulnerable now (slower mover, weaker shots), but you're right in saying he's doing enough. I still find it astonishing how many younger players don't play him right. Nadal has hit the FH short all year and doesn't have as much faith in his DTL FH, yet Federer was the only one to really come forward from the baseline and put him away. Perfect example is the Dimitrov/Nadal match at the AO SF. Dimitrov controlled so many points, had Nadal on the back foot...but he failed to come in and hit a winner. Baseline bashing is all these new kids know and unfortunately for them Nadal will always keep it in play until they mess up.

LatK7

First Grade
Shame the Aussies went out, but the attitude was right. It's a shame Goffin was injured earlier this season. Very underrated player.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Just when you think he's getting his shit together...

It's looking odds on now that he'll fritter away his talent and be gone from the game in 5 years.

Meanwhile, Nadal-Federer IV in 2017 tonight.

Rafa has been in supreme form; dispelling any doubts from the US Open where he got a soft draw.

I think he'll win in straight sets based purely on form.

Latest posts