What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

1. Go look at the map here. http://www.ite.org/meetings/2009TransOps/TO-ITE-508/TO01/TO01-14.jpg
Alot of that area is not covered by train lines.

Outside of the northern beaches, which area in particular?

I see a heap of double up there.

2. NFL Stadiums have moved further and further away in the most recent new stadiums for the cowboys, 49'rs. New york cant build build stadiums over 55k. They have to play in New Jersey. Pats cant play in Boston. etc etc etc

NFL stadiums don't make a world trend.

Still I can think of two recent builds in the NFL that are downtown. Seattle & Atlanta.

Plus Las Vegas is about to be built right on the edge of downtown.

In Australia we've had several builds that are In the CBD & surrounds in last 20 years.

New Perth stadium

Adelaide oval

Suncorp

Docklands

3. if that 'made sense' Olympic park would have never existed and the olympics would have been made in the city for that not only meets your criteria for State/Country and even the world. Same thing can be said for the Easter show, which was removed from Moore Park due to what it did to the City when it was held there and placed in Olympic park
But instead they chose to put it out there and build transport specifically for getting out there.

The Olympics was about the whole village, not just the main stadium. On some days that area had 200k people in it. No comparison to a 65k seat stadium.

And with current Sydney nightlife killing laws. What night out?

That's only a specific area.

To say "what night out" is ridiculous. Games finish at around 10pm, there's still thousands of places to go and eat and have a few beers. And plenty of people still do, it hasn't killed all of Sydney. I can't believe I even have to say that.

M2D2

Bench
Outside of the northern beaches, which area in particular?
I see a heap of double up there.
NFL stadiums don't make a world trend.
Still I can think of two recent builds in the NFL that are downtown. Seattle & Atlanta.
Plus Las Vegas is about to be built right on the edge of downtown.
In Australia we've had several builds that are In the CBD & surrounds in last 20 years.
New Perth stadium
Adelaide oval
Suncorp
Docklands
The Olympics was about the whole village, not just the main stadium. On some days that area had 200k people in it. No comparison to a 65k seat stadium.
That's only a specific area.
To say "what night out" is ridiculous. Games finish at around 10pm, there's still thousands of places to go and eat and have a few beers. And plenty of people still do, it hasn't killed all of Sydney. I can't believe I even have to say that.
Menai. Dural. Roselands. Alot of the Glebe buses stops have no train line.
Alot of those buses go in areas theres no trains.
Atlanta built their stadium NEXT DOOR to their previous stadium. Seattle was Rebuilt at their previous stadiums location. and as someone who has been to Vegas. There proposed stadium location theres is nothing there. And its f'n Vegas.
Adelaide & Suncorp were built on the top of PREVIOUS grounds which HAD the infrastructure already there. Docklands rebuilt over previous grounds. Which is also VERY close to a train station.
Games finish at 10pm and people want to go home, especially families. Very few want to go into the city and go drinking which is why ANZ has special event buses to get people HOME. Not to the city.
Hell after Sharkies won the last GF. Where do you think people went to go drink? The CITY or Back to the shire?

Timbo

Staff member
Baseball in particular has made a trend of moving its stadiums closer to the downtown are in the last twenty years to improve fan experience before and after games. Cities like Cleveland, Detroit, Cincinnati amongst others have used them to try and revitalise downtown areas.

adamkungl

Immortal
Very few want to go into the city and go drinking which is why ANZ has special event buses to get people HOME. Not to the city.
Hell after Sharkies won the last GF. Where do you think people went to go drink? The CITY or Back to the shire?

No one wants to go out after going to Homebush, correct.
Lots of people (18s to 35s have the most disposable income to spend on things like footy tickets after all..) would like to go out before or after footy games.

Menai. Dural. Roselands. Alot of the Glebe buses stops have no train line.

Menai is the only real concern I see there.

Dural will have castle hill station, quick drive.

Roselands is next to lakemba station.

Alot of those buses go in areas theres no trains.

Majority are a short car ride to a station, I can't see how this is a real concern for big events. People don't go to a major stadium every week, it's a 2-3 time a year thing for most.

Atlanta built their stadium NEXT DOOR to their previous stadium. Seattle was Rebuilt at their previous stadiums location. and as someone who has been to Vegas. There proposed stadium location theres is nothing there. And its f'n Vegas.

You said the trend in the NFL was the opposite, its not. They built those stadiums next door to wheee they were for a multitude of reasons.

They could've bought much cheaper land in the suburbs.

Adelaide & Suncorp were built on the top of PREVIOUS grounds which HAD the infrastructure already there. Docklands rebuilt over previous grounds. Which is also VERY close to a train station.

In Adelaide the only reason it got built was because the AFL abandoned a suburban ground in favour of the Adelaide oval.

Games finish at 10pm and people want to go home, especially families. Very few want to go into the city and go drinking which is why ANZ has special event buses to get people HOME. Not to the city.

Families are much less of a concern for the big events. Less kids go to the GF & SOO etc because of the prohibitive costs.

Club games are much more of a target for families.[/QUOTE]

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Exactly.

A 55k seat stadium at Moore park won't attract any significant events. They'll still all be at ANZ.

There is though a 3rd option.

You could make the major stadium at Moore park & tune ANZ into a 35k stadium to service bulldogs & Souths.

It's unlikely but not impossible.

The biggest attraction of the Homebush precinct is its capacity to hold +100k people on a given night.

If the gov only wanted to build a 30k stadium, they could put it somewere else (a the have at Parra) and leave the 80k ANZ untouched.

THAT is the problem. ANZ will either get the big investment or it will get a small touch up, either way it will remain the NRLs event stadium.

So id much rather the money went to our most important ground rther than the groun that hosts one team and no major events...

The biggest attraction of the Homebush precinct is its capacity to hold +100k people on a given night.

If the gov only wanted to build a 30k stadium, they could put it somewere else (a the have at Parra) and leave the 80k ANZ untouched.

THAT is the problem. ANZ will either get the big investment or it will get a small touch up, either way it will remain the NRLs event stadium.

So id much rather the money went to our most important ground rther than the groun that hosts one team and no major events...

I'm mostly putting up a 'perfect world' argument.

In reality I recognise the opposite is the most likely. I just hope they go for a 35k seat venue at Moore park. All that's needed.

But even a smaller stadium could work at Olympic park because it's an entertainment quarter. Another stadium & the major indoor Sydney venue are there.

M2D2

Bench
No one wants to go out after going to Homebush, correct.
Lots of people (18s to 35s have the most disposable income to spend on things like footy tickets after all..) would like to go out before or after footy games.
32. Never wanted to go out on the town after a footy game. Before however. Sure. But the Olympic park quarter has enough bars and things to do before the game.
Menai is the only real concern I see there.
Dural will have castle hill station, quick drive.
Roselands is next to lakemba station.
Majority are a short car ride to a station, I can't see how this is a real concern for big events. People don't go to a major stadium every week, it's a 2-3 time a year thing for most.
You said the trend in the NFL was the opposite, its not. They built those stadiums next door to wheee they were for a multitude of reasons.
They could've bought much cheaper land in the suburbs.
In Adelaide the only reason it got built was because the AFL abandoned a suburban ground in favour of the Adelaide oval.
Families are much less of a concern for the big events. Less kids go to the GF & SOO etc because of the prohibitive costs.
Club games are much more of a target for families.
You are forcing people to drive to a train station when they dont need to and forcing people onto train lines. Thats incredibly poor planning especially when Moore park cant handle the stress AND HAS NO TRAIN STATION, as the media is reporting the added security for moore park currently on the news because it cant handle the stress of two finals on at the same time. and both combined will be less than the GF/SOO/sold out music events.
Especially when it comes to the ANZ running buses and NEW trains specifcally for the event. Something they would not be able to do when it comes to how bad and congested the city and central gets.
The trends IS moving away from the city when they dont have the property. Boston couldnt build in Boston. New york teams cant build in New york. San Fran didnt rebuild in San Fran. The SCG trust doesnt own the land they want to rebuild on. And They dont have the infrastucture already built which IF THEY HAD makes the rebuild smart.
Thats the whole thing here. Those city stadiums were Rebuilt on top of OLD stadiums with the transport issues not existing because they were already built for it. Moore park Has no train station.
Families ARE the concern for big events, you can state otherwise til your blue in the face but thats what the whole things is built on, the whole code is.
I sware some of you are f**king brain dead.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Interesting. That both the nrl pre Greenburg and Gould think Allianz is the better investment for nrl.

Allianz Stadium needs to be knocked down and rebuilt. It's gone. Deteriorating. Antiquated. Obsolete. Inadequate.
Actually, it's embarrassing.
A recent report even suggested the wear and tear on the facility has now rendered it potentially dangerous.
Australia is a sporting country. Sydney is our biggest city. The major sporting venue should be one of the landmarks of the area.
Whenever you visit the venue, it should feel special. The stadium itself should be a big part of the attraction of going to the occasion, along with the sporting event of the day.
We need a new, modern, 50,000 seat, rectangular stadium in the Moore Park precinct.
This should be the absolute priority of the NSW State Government.
The Moore Park area, with the iconic SCG, beautiful Centennial Park, the new and modern Royal Randwick racecourse, needs a quality, state-of-the-art football facility to complete our major sporting precinct.
We will be wasting our money spending a billion dollars on ANZ Stadium. I'm not for one minute advocating we get rid of ANZ Stadium. It was our Olympic venue. Cathy Freeman won her gold medal there. It's part of our history. However, it doesn't need the money spent on it right now.
Firstly, it's original life-span was not meant to end for another decade or so. We can make a decision on ANZ Stadium down the track.
Finish Parramatta Stadium. It will be brilliant. Rebuild Allianz. It's badly needed. Leave ANZ for another day. It's plenty good enough for our big event stuff right now.
Secondly, no end of money will make the Olympic venue feel good when you have a crowd of only 10,000 people. Move the events to the venues that suit best, based on anticipated crowd numbers.
But back to Allianz Stadium.
When the old football stadium was knocked down in the 1980's to make way for the Sydney Football Stadium, the aesthetically pleasing building looked like a marvel of the then modern architecture.
Early in 1988, before the new stadium was officially opened, Canterbury boss Peter "Bullfrog" Moore took our Canterbury Bulldogs team for a private tour.
As it turned out, the Bulldogs won the first ever grand final played there that year.
Anyway, for the 1980's this new facility certainly had the "Wow" factor.
I loved the SCG. I always considered it a special experience to attend that ground, either as a spectator or a participant. I still do. The history and the tradition just reaches up and grabs your heart.
But this new Sydney Football Stadium was different. Fans would be closer to the action. The rectangular shape was purpose built for our game. It would have an atmosphere of its own. Over time, this proved to be the case.
However, when we inspected the back-of-house facilities, it was horribly disappointing. In fact, grossly inadequate.
I remember Bullfrog proudly asking me, "Well, what do you think?"
I asked him, "Where are all the dressing rooms? You only have two dressing rooms. What happens on semi-final and grand final days when we have three games and six different clubs competing? Where do they all get ready?"
The look of shock on Bullfrog's face was priceless. He said, "I didn't think of that!!"
Architects are wonderful. But sometimes they are far from practical.
In time we found the roof didn't stop people getting wet. The media facilities were totally inadequate. The TV commentary positions were an afterthought and positioned in the "nose-bleed" section at the highest point of the eastern grandstand.
Spare a thought for my old mate Ray Warren having to walk those horrendously steep stairs high into the grandstand. No one thought to put a lift in there for the elderly.
Anyway, the stadium was inadequate and obsolete from day one.
At finals time, lower grades had to get ready down the road at the SCG dressing rooms and walk back to the ground to play. Half times for lower grades were a nightmare.
What an embarrassment.
The football pitch and the shape of the playing area was perfect. The crowd were close and the atmosphere was great. It's just that the fans, the players and the media got a raw deal.
Nothing has changed in all this time.
This weekend we will have three NRL semi-finals and four NYC semi-finals played at the venue. I dare say they again will be accommodating the lower grade teams out in the cricket centre and SCG dressing rooms to fit everyone's needs.
This is not what a modern day sporting venue should be like.
Forget ANZ Stadium for another decade. It's in good shape and serves our big events very well. I love going to ANZ Stadium for our marquee fixtures.
However, our city, our beautiful Moore Park sporting precinct, needs and deserves a new stadium. Let's solve this problem first.
Just my opinion.

http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/09/08/...ally-rebuilt-allianz-stadium?ocid=Social-WWOS

Perth Red

Post Whore
Problem with above is you only have one club, Roosters with a relatively small fanbase playing, and likely to play at Allianz. So how does a 50k new stadium there benefit nrl?
Even spending all that money on WS stadium for just one nrl tennant hardly solves many problems, great for eels fans though.

Leaving aside ownership issues and the govts need to have a dck measuring contest with other cities ,and the scg trusts selfish reasoning, the best outcome for nrl in Sydney of spending 1.6bill would have been

35k new roofed stadium at allianz $500mill
30k parra stadium $300mill
20kish sharks park replacement $200mill
20kish brookvale replacement $200mill
20kish panthers replacement $200mill
$200mill tart up of anz

Anz to be used for Sunday double headers only. Clubs to play at one of the other new stadiums most club games. That would sort out nrl and other codes in Sydney for next three decades.

Anz you could build a great fans experience pop up village on the outside of the stadium with food trucks, beer festival village, band stage picnic amphitheatre etc and create great Sunday afternoon out, doesn't need permenant pubs there.

Perth Red

Post Whore
While white heart lane is not a RL stadium it is an impressive piece of engineering.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/footba...t/news-story/f06d245dfd121ed6533ac01004cf2d2a

It seems staggering that they have put this level of investment in for 6 games a year.
I know the NFL has been talking about a London franchise for a long time and if it happens I guess this is going to be their home ground.

Wow,now that is impressive! I wonder if they have been given a wink from the NFL? Seems a hell of alot of expense for one or two exhibition NFL games a year.

Pommy

Coach
Wow,now that is impressive! I wonder if they have been given a wink from the NFL? Seems a hell of alot of expense for one or two exhibition NFL games a year.

6 games per year. I think Jacksonville Jaguars (?) play actual NFL games in London already.

whall15

Coach
McDonald Jones Stadium is getting a huge video screen for the northern end of the ground.

It's come from the old Parramatta Stadium and measures 98 square metres.

It's three times the size of the current screen which is now being removed.

The new screen should be up and running in November, in time for the A-League season.

Newcastle Jets CEO, Lawrie McKinna, said this is fantastic for us and the Knights, but most importantly, this is a major coup for the fans of both clubs.

“The quality of this new screen will improve the viewing experience from all corners of the stadium, meaning fans won’t miss a minute of play on the pitch,” said Mr McKinna.

Newcastle Knights CEO, Matt Gidley said that they are excited about the installation of the new video screen at McDonald Jones Stadium.

“The upgrade will significantly add to the match day experience for our members, partners and supporters,” said Mr Gidley.

https://www.triplem.com.au/news/new...-second-hand-big-screen?station=midnorthcoast

32. Never wanted to go out on the town after a footy game. Before however. Sure. But the Olympic park quarter has enough bars and things to do before the game.

You are forcing people to drive to a train station when they dont need to and forcing people onto train lines. Thats incredibly poor planning especially when Moore park cant handle the stress AND HAS NO TRAIN STATION, as the media is reporting the added security for moore park currently on the news because it cant handle the stress of two finals on at the same time. and both combined will be less than the GF/SOO/sold out music events.
Especially when it comes to the ANZ running buses and NEW trains specifcally for the event. Something they would not be able to do when it comes to how bad and congested the city and central gets.
The trends IS moving away from the city when they dont have the property. Boston couldnt build in Boston. New york teams cant build in New york. San Fran didnt rebuild in San Fran. The SCG trust doesnt own the land they want to rebuild on. And They dont have the infrastucture already built which IF THEY HAD makes the rebuild smart.
Thats the whole thing here. Those city stadiums were Rebuilt on top of OLD stadiums with the transport issues not existing because they were already built for it. Moore park Has no train station.
Families ARE the concern for big events, you can state otherwise til your blue in the face but thats what the whole things is built on, the whole code is.
I sware some of you are f**king brain dead.

I've honestly said everything I've had say.

There's also no need to resort to insults.

Last edited:
Interesting. That both the nrl pre Greenburg and Gould think Allianz is the better investment for nrl.

Allianz Stadium needs to be knocked down and rebuilt. It's gone. Deteriorating. Antiquated. Obsolete. Inadequate.
Actually, it's embarrassing.
A recent report even suggested the wear and tear on the facility has now rendered it potentially dangerous.
Australia is a sporting country. Sydney is our biggest city. The major sporting venue should be one of the landmarks of the area.
Whenever you visit the venue, it should feel special. The stadium itself should be a big part of the attraction of going to the occasion, along with the sporting event of the day.
We need a new, modern, 50,000 seat, rectangular stadium in the Moore Park precinct.
This should be the absolute priority of the NSW State Government.
The Moore Park area, with the iconic SCG, beautiful Centennial Park, the new and modern Royal Randwick racecourse, needs a quality, state-of-the-art football facility to complete our major sporting precinct.
We will be wasting our money spending a billion dollars on ANZ Stadium. I'm not for one minute advocating we get rid of ANZ Stadium. It was our Olympic venue. Cathy Freeman won her gold medal there. It's part of our history. However, it doesn't need the money spent on it right now.
Firstly, it's original life-span was not meant to end for another decade or so. We can make a decision on ANZ Stadium down the track.
Finish Parramatta Stadium. It will be brilliant. Rebuild Allianz. It's badly needed. Leave ANZ for another day. It's plenty good enough for our big event stuff right now.
Secondly, no end of money will make the Olympic venue feel good when you have a crowd of only 10,000 people. Move the events to the venues that suit best, based on anticipated crowd numbers.
But back to Allianz Stadium.
When the old football stadium was knocked down in the 1980's to make way for the Sydney Football Stadium, the aesthetically pleasing building looked like a marvel of the then modern architecture.
Early in 1988, before the new stadium was officially opened, Canterbury boss Peter "Bullfrog" Moore took our Canterbury Bulldogs team for a private tour.
As it turned out, the Bulldogs won the first ever grand final played there that year.
Anyway, for the 1980's this new facility certainly had the "Wow" factor.
I loved the SCG. I always considered it a special experience to attend that ground, either as a spectator or a participant. I still do. The history and the tradition just reaches up and grabs your heart.
But this new Sydney Football Stadium was different. Fans would be closer to the action. The rectangular shape was purpose built for our game. It would have an atmosphere of its own. Over time, this proved to be the case.
However, when we inspected the back-of-house facilities, it was horribly disappointing. In fact, grossly inadequate.
I remember Bullfrog proudly asking me, "Well, what do you think?"
I asked him, "Where are all the dressing rooms? You only have two dressing rooms. What happens on semi-final and grand final days when we have three games and six different clubs competing? Where do they all get ready?"
The look of shock on Bullfrog's face was priceless. He said, "I didn't think of that!!"
Architects are wonderful. But sometimes they are far from practical.
In time we found the roof didn't stop people getting wet. The media facilities were totally inadequate. The TV commentary positions were an afterthought and positioned in the "nose-bleed" section at the highest point of the eastern grandstand.
Spare a thought for my old mate Ray Warren having to walk those horrendously steep stairs high into the grandstand. No one thought to put a lift in there for the elderly.
Anyway, the stadium was inadequate and obsolete from day one.
At finals time, lower grades had to get ready down the road at the SCG dressing rooms and walk back to the ground to play. Half times for lower grades were a nightmare.
What an embarrassment.
The football pitch and the shape of the playing area was perfect. The crowd were close and the atmosphere was great. It's just that the fans, the players and the media got a raw deal.
Nothing has changed in all this time.
This weekend we will have three NRL semi-finals and four NYC semi-finals played at the venue. I dare say they again will be accommodating the lower grade teams out in the cricket centre and SCG dressing rooms to fit everyone's needs.
This is not what a modern day sporting venue should be like.
Forget ANZ Stadium for another decade. It's in good shape and serves our big events very well. I love going to ANZ Stadium for our marquee fixtures.
However, our city, our beautiful Moore Park sporting precinct, needs and deserves a new stadium. Let's solve this problem first.
Just my opinion.

http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/09/08/...ally-rebuilt-allianz-stadium?ocid=Social-WWOS

Gould is great mates with Stuart Ayres.

Ayres is the member for Penrith & has promised to upgrade Penrith stadium next.

This is nothing more than Gould going into bat for his mate.

Take it with a massive grain of salt.

I mean the idea of a 50k seat stadium at Moore park whilst leaving ANZ untouched is bloody laughable. Gould has NFI what he's talking about.

Souths/Tigers/Dogs will be left with a terrible stadium and unable to grow crowds.

Honestly, I used to respect Phil Gould but he's become an absolute joke.

Last edited:
This would never happen, but;

If Allianz is to be the secondary stadium it should do away with the stadium memebership model. There's absolutely no need for that model for a club only stadium

Doing away with it would mean 2 things

1. The stadium would only need to be 30k, creating an awesome atmosphere for all its tenants.

2. It would give those tenants greater financial stability by forcing the members to become members of the club rather than the stadium.

You could still create a club members only bar etc but not have a situation where all members can go to any event.

It's really an antiquated model for such a stadium, screws over the tenants big time.

M2D2

Bench
This would never happen, but;

If Allianz is to be the secondary stadium it should do away with the stadium memebership model. There's absolutely no need for that model for a club only stadium

Doing away with it would mean 2 things

1. The stadium would only need to be 30k, creating an awesome atmosphere for all its tenants.

2. It would give those tenants greater financial stability by forcing the members to become members of the club rather than the stadium.

You could still create a club members only bar etc but not have a situation where all members can go to any event.

It's really an antiquated model for such a stadium, screws over the tenants big time.
Its has three full time tennants. And the SFS membership is also an SCG membership.
As far as money goes. The SFS/SCG membership is probably the best value for money in Sydney.

Its has three full time tennants. And the SFS membership is also an SCG membership.
As far as money goes. The SFS/SCG membership is probably the best value for money in Sydney.

I'm not questioning it's value to the individual, I'm questioning its value to the tenants who use the stadium. It totally screws them over.

Latest posts