What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backline Solutions for 2018 all about selection bravery

mickeylane

Bench
With the wealth of experience we have in the halves and forwards going into season 2018 and the dearth of pace in our backline maybe and I say maybe the solution to all our speed problems lie within ..
The potential backline below has pace and youth.

1. Field
2. Dufty
3. Aitken
4. Lafai
5. MANN

The back 3 of Field, MANN and Dufty lack size but the pace is phenomenal.. As I said it will need some bravery from the coach to drop Mcdonald and Nightingale but the results could have a min of 5 year legacy due to the players youth.

Thoughts?

dragonssamy61

First Grade
With the wealth of experience we have in the halves and forwards going into season 2018 and the dearth of pace in our backline maybe and I say maybe the solution to all our speed problems lie within ..

1. Field
2. Dufty
3. Aitken
4. Lafai
5. MANN

The back 3 of Field, MANN and Dufty lack size but the pace is phenomenal.. As I said it will need some bravery from the coach to drop Mcdonald and Nightingale but the results could have a min of 5 year legacy due to the players youth.

Thoughts?

Mickey
Your backline is potentially great.But l think we need to pick up a player
With speed and size for the wing. We need someone to get us 120 to 170 meters every week.
But other than rona there is no one available.
I think mann will do a job but lack of meters would be a worry.
If only McDonald would play to his full potential he would be the answer.
But he has showed a lack of pace and heart.
I think herbert is a chance he has done well so far this year. Also I would keep dufty at fullback.
Field to the bench
Imo

mickeylane

Bench
Haha wow, so you already want to give up on Dufty at fullback?
No I'm only telling you what Millward has been telling us all year.
Field will be the 2018 fullback!
If Lichaa gets picked up there will be no room for a back on the bench .. Dufty quick enough to cover wing if we don't sign one in the interim

Crush

Coach
Not really
Really.
I would say not one of that backline would make any of this years top 4 teams backlines in any positions.
Do you think any of the top 4 would put lafai in? Broncos saying "nah we will get rid of jimmy the jet or Moga and put Lafai in". Storm trade one of their wingers for Mann?
Parra trade Radradra for dufty?
Our backline is rubbish now and if were
Field, Dufty, lafai, aitken, mann it would be the smallest backline ever assembled in the modern game.

Bench
Agree Mann should be on one wing, after all when he played there 2016 he was our leading try scorer.
Field to start is a bit of a worry because he has not have any decent game time even from the bench.
McIdiot would never have Field in the starting side.

mobels

Juniors
No I'm only telling you what Millward has been telling us all year.
Field will be the 2018 fullback!
If Lichaa gets picked up there will be no room for a back on the bench .. Dufty quick enough to cover wing if we don't sign one in the interim
No chance Dufty isn't the starting fullback next year barring injury. Field has a huge amount of potential, however he's not as good as Dufty yet.

Last edited:

1. Field
2. Dufty
3. Aitken
4. Lafai
5. MANN

Thoughts?

Can't agree with you Mickey

We need dynamic wingers with size, height and pace. Field, Dufty and to a lesser extend Mann will be rag dolled trying to run the ball out from our 10 metre line. I would have signed Isaac Thompson for another 12 months and trialled him next year. Thompson needs a quality coach and staff to get his mental attitude right.

Mann/Dufty and Field are all competing for the Full Back role or in the case of Mann and Field the halves backup role.

Aitken/Lafai will do their best but they don't compare with Cooper and Gasnier. That is the standard of Centre the team needs to be a top 4 contender. Hope Lomax and Garrick develop in to representative backs.

j0nesy

Bench

1. Field
2. Dufty
3. Aitken
4. Lafai
5. MANN

Thoughts?

Too small will get murdered on the kick return and will be regularly pinned. Teams will kick to our wings and score almost at will.

Carlton

Juniors
Can't agree with you Mickey

We need dynamic wingers with size, height and pace. Field, Dufty and to a lesser extend Mann will be rag dolled trying to run the ball out from our 10 metre line. I would have signed Isaac Thompson for another 12 months and trialled him next year. Thompson needs a quality coach and staff to get his mental attitude right.

Mann/Dufty and Field are all competing for the Full Back role or in the case of Mann and Field the halves backup role.

Aitken/Lafai will do their best but they don't compare with Cooper and Gasnier. That is the standard of Centre the team needs to be a top 4 contender. Hope Lomax and Garrick develop in to representative backs.

Vunivalu, Addo-Carr, Radradra, Cotric, Don, Rapana these days you need size and blistering speed on the wings. Most forwards now are pretty quick, unlike even a couple of years ago and average pace on the wings is now just not going to cut it. This is why we cant score long range tries, we make breaks but don't have the speed to go on with it.

But its not enough to just have speed they also have to have size to take hitups and to be able to power over the line. Good wingers have great fends and are very strong through the hips. Find the bodies and then turn them into stars, this is what Melbourne do.

Crush

Coach
Vunivalu, Addo-Carr, Radradra, Cotric, Don, Rapana these days you need size and blistering speed on the wings. Most forwards now are pretty quick, unlike even a couple of years ago and average pace on the wings is now just not going to cut it. This is why we cant score long range tries, we make breaks but don't have the speed to go on with it.

But its not enough to just have speed they also have to have size to take hitups and to be able to power over the line. Good wingers have great fends and are very strong through the hips. Find the bodies and then turn them into stars, this is what Melbourne do.
Great Post. Thankyou.

St Tangles

Bench
If we don't sign anyone I would be taking a punt on Lomax or Masters on the wing both big strong lads.

The year will start like this

Dufty
McDonald
Aitken
Lafai
Nightingale

But could look like this by the end of the year

Dufty
Lomax
Aitken
Lafai
Mann

I still think we need to pick up one ot two more outside backs at least as I don't see either of the above pushing the top sides.

Watching Lomax this year he has everything Cotric has just needs a big off season.

The Damo

Juniors
Really.
I would say not one of that backline would make any of this years top 4 teams backlines in any positions.
Do you think any of the top 4 would put lafai in? Broncos saying "nah we will get rid of jimmy the jet or Moga and put Lafai in". Storm trade one of their wingers for Mann?
Field, Dufty, lafai, aitken, mann it would be the smallest backline ever assembled in the modern game.
Not to disagree with your other points, but Bennett might well choose Lafai, the shit he gets on here is way out of proportion.
Lafai Vs Moga vs Roberts
Try assists
L 11 M 5 R 5
Line break assists
L 18 M 10 R 2
Tries
L 7 M 9 R 17
Tackle breaks
L 75 M 82 R 98
Missed tackles
L 31 M 45 R 36
Line breaks
L 9 M 10 R 14
Offloads
L 64 M 19 R 17
Hit ups
L 17 M 10 R 6
All run metres
L 3173 M 3673 R 3081
Minutes
L 1913 M 2007 R 1922
They're different style of players, but hard to make a case he's contributed less than either of those two.

Drag Queen

Bench
Really.
Go Crush!

Crush

Coach
Not to disagree with your other points, but Bennett might well choose Lafai, the shit he gets on here is way out of proportion.
Lafai Vs Moga vs Roberts
Try assists
L 11 M 5 R 5
Line break assists
L 18 M 10 R 2
Tries
L 7 M 9 R 17
Tackle breaks
L 75 M 82 R 98
Missed tackles
L 31 M 45 R 36
Line breaks
L 9 M 10 R 14
Offloads
L 64 M 19 R 17
Hit ups
L 17 M 10 R 6
All run metres
L 3173 M 3673 R 3081
Minutes
L 1913 M 2007 R 1922
They're different style of players, but hard to make a case he's contributed less than either of those two.
Mate, we have seen what stats mean this year. On stats Dragons should have been top 4!
I would take Roberts or Moga any day over Lafai....

Latest posts