What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Semi Final, Fri - Broncos 13-6 Panthers @ Suncorp

Finals Week 2: Broncos v Panthers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GongPanther

Referee
Broncos could and more likely will get out to a 10-0 lead early on.But like the Panthers that they are,they simply know how to grind out the other sides in the 2nd half to eventually pull away.

I expect a highly entertaining game with lots of points in store for boths sides for a semi-final.

Panthers by a conservative 24-16.That,or a flying score of 22-10.:)

roofromoz

First Grade
Penrith has never won a week 2 final in the top 8 era (2000 to Parra, 2010 to Roosters and last year to Canberra). But we're 2 from 2 against Brisbane in finals (1990 and 2003).

Both completely useless stats for this week.

mxlegend99

Referee
Not sure why Broncos are such huge favorites in betting. Their form lately hasn't been all that good. Their season as a whole was not that much better and on recent form Panthers have the edge.

The seasons so far (including finals)

Broncos - 16 wins, 9 losses. (6 wins from last 10 games)
Panthers - 14 wins, 11 losses. (8 wins from last 10 games)

I think Broncos deserve to be favorites due to experience and home ground advantage... but the game should be much closer than $1.40 to $3.05 that the bookies have it at.

Danoz Direct

Juniors
Not sure why Broncos are such huge favorites in betting. Their form lately hasn't been all that good. Their season as a whole was not that much better and on recent form Panthers have the edge.

I think Broncos deserve to be favorites due to experience and home ground advantage... but the game should be much closer than $1.40 to $3.05 that the bookies have it at.

Difference is Panthers have only won 2 games against top 8 and Broncos have won 6 against top 8 opponents.

Alfred DeBois

Juniors
Penrith players were fired up last week to prove a point over Moylan and extract revenge on Manly from the week before. Having the same intensity this week will be hard act to back up from.
The old man will have Brisbane fired up after last week and I expect them to come out firing on all cylinders.
Brisbane to win but they will be worn out against the Storm next week.

mxlegend99

Referee
Difference is Panthers have only won 2 games against top 8 and Broncos have won 6 against top 8 opponents.
In last 10 games Panthers played 4 games against top 8 sides. Winning 3/4.

Broncos have played 6 games against top 8 sides. Winning 2/6.

Theres not much between them of late... certainly not enough to justify such a huge difference in betting. Only games deserving of such a huge difference in the finals are Storm and anyone for mine.

Panthers form isnt great. Im not arguing that it is. Broncos form however i dont think has been anywhere near as good as the betting shows.

Not long ago Eels put 50 on them.

Uncle Kraka

Juniors
Broncos won't do it easily. 2 things come with a young side. Inconsistency over long periods but can get a lot done on the back of confidence/momentum and they'll be flying after that win on Saturday. Broncos will have to be on their game and it'll be close.
We'll see. I'm pretty confident

typicalfan

Coach
Funny to think if Panthers lose this they made it as far as last year. Broncos I think will deliver the crushing blow

GongPanther

Referee

Backed Panthers into the Cows.:)

GongPanther

Referee
Funny to think if Panthers lose this they made it as far as last year. Broncos I think will deliver the crushing blow

We lose on Friday,I'll call our season a pass because of the distractions and injuries.But winning,then playing Melbourne the next week would be worth it's weight in gold as far as experience for the team as a whole is concerned,win or lose.

pantherz9103

First Grade
The season is a pass mark (even if an underwhelming pass mark..) if we lose on Friday because of how terribly we started the season, most supporters would have conceded the season was as good as over after 10 rounds but the team turned it around, soft draw or no soft draw. We were an absolute rabble in the first half of the home game against the Warriors and were set to be 2 and 8, before a comeback win sparked a run for us to at least put up a competitive showing this season.

A preliminary final berth would be an improvement on last year, which would have been unthinkable after the start of the season and even after losing the last two regular season games.

A Grand Final berth or victory would be a true miracle, considering we'd have to beat Melbourne in a final to get there and we've only beat the Storm once in the last 11 years..

Conversely a Broncos semi final exit would be a disappointment for them after coming 3rd and being talked up as the Storm's biggest threat a few weeks back.

Big Pete

Referee
If the Broncos roll out the same 17 as last Friday, I'd say the Panthers win in a boil over. The Broncos need to get back to what was working with them - Nikorima at halfback, Thaiday handling the opening exchanges and bringing Hunt off the bench. The issue is, without Darius Boyd they don't have anyone to play fullback. David Mead is serviceable but has no chemistry with the halves, Jordan Kahu is barely getting through games as is and I doubt Bennett will throw Isaako or Marshall there in such a big game. If worse comes to worse, they'll have to bite the bullet and go with Nikorima, Milford and Marshall again.

Penrith will definitely want to win here. They had two dissapointing performances in the lead up to the finals but it's worth mentioning that on top of losing Matt Moylan and dealing with that distraction, they also lost Dylan Edwards who has been one of their best players in 2017. Not only did they miss his exceptional work in the backfield, it caused the 17 to be shuffled around. With Edwards back and the rest of the side confident after disposing of Manly in a spirited game they'll give Brisbane a much better shake than they did in Round 9.

Penrith will get more out of the experience than Brisbane will. All year the media has been quick to point out their record in the big games so if they can earn a win here and back that up with a good showing in Melbourne, suddenly we're talking about a dominant Penrith era again.

With Brisbane I think it comes down to a personal desire more than anything else. Ben Hunt is definitely out the door and Adam Blair from all reports will be joining them. Both love the club and while Blair's form has been iffy, Hunt has been playing with a devil may care attitude as of late and has really made teams think twice through the middle of the ruck. If they can snare one win, at least it will be a positive way to leave Suncorp Stadium, especially after their last start.

Latest posts