What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

Stallion

First Grade
the 20 team comp was an utter joke
mediocrity of the highest order ... take off your rose coloured glasses & join us in reality pal

States the guy who probably never went through the trial process for the NRL and comes up with the 'mediocrity' comment. How ignorant , distespectful and damaging to the code you are! The mediocrity line is so laughable. If you only knew of the talent that misses out on making the NRL but you will never know. Guys like that have had a crack can inform u but u wont respect our experience and knowledge. Therein lies an issue with your ill founded and damaging comments.

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
The core of this great competition lies in the Sydney metropolitan area. The tyrrany of distance (Australia wide)and sparse population had the game vulnerable when isolated clubs have poor periods. The largest city in the southern hemisphere with the best football code should be respected. Im suggesting that probably ten top flight NRL clubs in the metrpolitan area be maintained with a promotion and relegation set up for the other aspiring Sydney metropolitan clubs. This will entrech the game and interest/relevance in this geographically diverse and highly populated area. A twenty club competition should be happening now however spoilers and people making decisions not in the interest of rugby league development and cultural relevance are thwarting genuine progress of the game.

the biggest city in the sthn hemisphere with the shittiest infrastructure , no stadium strategy & laziest sports fans on the planet has held the game back for 40 years. Time to rationalise & improve as a sport & a smaller presence , more concentrated is the answer for Sydney along with more new markets giving us a greater national footprint.

16 is the right number for the comp as a whole
Perth , Adelaide , & 2nd sides in NZ & Brisbane are the new markets
meaning 4 more Sydney sides need to go
but I'd suggest a complete overhaul of the Sydney set up condensing it down to 4 sides & a further Sydney side relocating to Gosford
thats 16
thats perfect : )

Stallion

First Grade
the biggest city in the sthn hemisphere with the shittiest infrastructure , no stadium strategy & laziest sports fans on the planet has held the game back for 40 years. Time to rationalise & improve as a sport & a smaller presence , more concentrated is the answer for Sydney along with more new markets giving us a greater national footprint.

16 is the right number for the comp as a whole
Perth , Adelaide , & 2nd sides in NZ & Brisbane are the new markets
meaning 4 more Sydney sides need to go
but I'd suggest a complete overhaul of the Sydney set up condensing it down to 4 sides & a further Sydney side relocating to Gosford
thats 16
thats perfect : )

You have no idea. Your spoiling comments are clearly getting their way as the game declines. And you smuggly go on seeing the very fragile code of rugby league weaken in development and cultural significance. Shame on you!

taipan

Referee
it won't
we're covered with our diverse business interests

now
when the NRL looks seriously at Sydney decentralisation
thats a cat dining on Pigeon pie right there with your mob squarely under the pastry : )

Recommended reading for future comics, would read again, but the laughter hasn't subsided.

Most commercial interests of any major size are domiciled in the big cities of this country, not a rural inland city which relies on public servants and politicians.Raiders to Adelaide sounds fine.

papabear

Juniors
Missing the point. The whole scenario should not have happened. It was the so called peace deal which brought such a ridiculous situation. The superleague people got their way and started the rot of rugby league in Sydney. It was the agreement that the ARL was arse f**ked by that destroyed such iconic clubs. The disrespect still astounds me to this day!
Different scenario. The tyrrany of distance and lack of population is the major factor of difference with a place like the US. Maybe one day into the future but definitely not now.
The difference in population is not so different.

Perth has a massive population you are ignoring, Adelaide has a large population.

The areas with small populations with teams are the problem.

papabear

Juniors
I dunno. We annihilated the BRL in 1987 and RL seems to be going pretty well in Brissy.

The only problem there now is that there arent enough teams in Brisbane, but thats mostly because there are too many in Sydney....
I think you will find the broncos had an agreement that no other teams be based out of brisbane.

So no you cant blame sydney on that one.

papabear

Juniors
Missing the point. The whole scenario should not have happened. It was the so called peace deal which brought such a ridiculous situation. The superleague people got their way and started the rot of rugby league in Sydney. It was the agreement that the ARL was arse f**ked by that destroyed such iconic clubs. The disrespect still astounds me to this day!
Come on, superleague has been done to death.

Both sides were very much at fault.

The ARLC has complete control now, and it still acts as a bitch to clubs alot of these clubs are ARL clubs if they havent gone broke.

You need to innovate and progress to survive in a competitive environment.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The 20 team comp wasn't going great guns. Take a look at some of the Sydney clubs crowd avg's in 1995 and the pie was sliced so thin the new clubs were financially in dire straights from day one.

Balmain 6,254
Parra 8,300
Penrith 8,022
Souths 7,709
St George 9,074
Roosters 9,188
Wests 8,556

Good luck getting the current 16 clubsnto agree o split the pie another 4 ways lol

Valheru

Coach
Surely Parra fans will do better than the three derp Sydney teams last week?

It will be tough given the roosters recorded the best finals week 1 crowd against Brisbane in Sydney in the history of the NRL and the 3rd best finals week 1 crowd in Sydney featuring an interstate team overall.

Luckily for Parra, the cowboys have only played 2 week 2 finals in Sydney against Sydney based opposition with the best crowd being 18,355 against the roosters in 2014. I would think they would beat that.

It will be interesting to see if they beat the 28k they got against Gold Coast in 2009 though.

Vee

First Grade
It will be interesting to see if they beat the 28k they got against Gold Coast in 2009 though.
Parra/Hayne were red-hot at the time, encouraging a bigger crowd then. But the sleeping giant is stirring again with the recent turn-around after so many admin dramas so that helps. I' reckon the Cows might have a few more Sydney fans than the Titans did then too, though they had some draws (Bailey/Prince/Campbell) so maybe not. Be interesting either way.

Brutus

Referee
Parra/Hayne were red-hot at the time, encouraging a bigger crowd then. But the sleeping giant is stirring again with the recent turn-around after so many admin dramas so that helps. I' reckon the Cows might have a few more Sydney fans than the Titans did then too, though they had some draws (Bailey/Prince/Campbell) so maybe not. Be interesting either way.
You would hope they would get more than the 28k v Gold Coast in 2009.

That game was at Allianz/SFS so they should do much better at ANZ this weekend.

adamkungl

Immortal
Parra:
Pass 30k
Good 40k
Excellent 50k

Expect.. 31k

Broncos:
Pass: 40k
Good: 46k
Excellent: Sellout/52k

Expect 44k

Stallion

First Grade
The difference in population is not so different.

Perth has a massive population you are ignoring, Adelaide has a large population.

The areas with small populations with teams are the problem.

The population difference is massive! When an isolated club has a bad trot the game is likely to struggle. The Sydney scenario is loaded with a groeing population and geographical challenges like no other city in Australia.

Clifferd

Coach
I just don't think 40-50k is a realistic expectation for anz, if it was sharks? Then yeah but not cowboys.

Out of town team, expected to win, fans probably being conservative and saving for a prelim ticket against roosters

30-35k is more realistic and expected imo

Which will still be 25k+ loud and proud Parra supporters with the rest being cowboys/neutrals/anz members

adamkungl

Immortal
I just don't think 40-50k is a realistic expectation for anz, if it was sharks? Then yeah but not cowboys.

Out of town team, expected to win, fans probably being conservative and saving for a prelim ticket against roosters

30-35k is more realistic and expected imo

Which will still be 25k+ loud and proud Parra supporters with the rest being cowboys/neutrals/anz members

Which is why I said 30 was a pass. In line with expectations based on previous years.

But really, should we be saying that is a *good* result for an elimination semi? I dont think so.

Last week, 20 was a scraped pass mark for SFS semis but we all know it's not really enough to be considered good.

Clifferd

Coach
Which is why I said 30 was a pass. In line with expectations based on previous years.

But really, should we be saying that is a *good* result for an elimination semi? I dont think so.

Last week, 20 was a scraped pass mark for SFS semis but we all know it's not really enough to be considered good.

Ah my bad read it wrong.

Yeah it's probably not the best but it's where we're at in the nrl in terms of crowds and with the low drawing teams available

NRL needs to do package deals at the start of the season to make the finals a somewhat attractive idea to go to even if their team doesn't make it. Something like a $100 pass that gives you GA access to all Sydney finals in week 1 & 2.

Prelims and the GF sell themselves

Valheru

Coach
Of the 2 crowds this week, the bigger concern looks to be Brisbane if it does only get 40-44k. They got 50k in week 2 in 2008 and 2009 against Storm and Dragons respectively. Does the fact it is against Penrith really make that big of a difference for their one and only home finals game?

Latest posts