What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
Don't just take stats as given.

Gallen is notorious for hogging the ball to get his "stats" up. Does it make him a better player, or does it just throw out the balance of the team???

Not that I have looked at May's stats, I feel he is better off the bench late in the game. Has more impact in short bursts. Same as Cartwright last week.

The stats from 2015, In a team that contained Cleary, Jennings, JFH, CHN, Edwards, Katoa etc. So plenty of skill across the side

Equal 1st in tries 14
1st in tackles(300 tackles more than 2nd best tackler)
1st in try assists
1st in line breaks
1st in line break assists
1st in tackle busts
1st in decoys
1st in support play

See unlike others not a stat hog. The problem is he played Fullback, Centre, 5/8th, Halfback, Hooker, 2nd row and lock.

There is good stats there for all of those positions so I'd be unsure if he is a 5/8th without seeing him play elsewhere

Pomoz

Bench
The stats from 2015, In a team that contained Cleary, Jennings, JFH, CHN, Edwards, Katoa etc. So plenty of skill across the side

Equal 1st in tries 14
1st in tackles(300 tackles more than 2nd best tackler)
1st in try assists
1st in line breaks
1st in line break assists
1st in tackle busts
1st in decoys
1st in support play

See unlike others not a stat hog. The problem is he played Fullback, Centre, 5/8th, Halfback, Hooker, 2nd row and lock.

There is good stats there for all of those positions so I'd be unsure if he is a 5/8th without seeing him play elsewhere
Wow! He must be bloody good. How will he be when his body matures and he settles into the side?

OldPanther

Coach
Wow! He must be bloody good. How will he be when his body matures and he settles into the side?

He'll be a gun for sure. If we can keep longterm:

Cleary, Moylan, Cartwright, Edwards,May, Luai we'll be the next Melbourne but with our own style.

chrisD

Coach
He's a lock who can provide some injury cover. Same as Peachey should be. And Cartwright is. All things considered at full strength in future there shouldn't be room for both May and Peachey in the 17 (like there never was room for TMM in a fully fit side), but Griffin likes to make shit complicated and difficult.

OldPanther

Coach
He's a lock who can provide some injury cover. Same as Peachey should be. And Cartwright is. All things considered at full strength in future there shouldn't be room for both May and Peachey in the 17 (like there never was room for TMM in a fully fit side), but Griffin likes to make shit complicated and difficult.

The biggest issue for Peachy is Blake is a must at centre and Whare seems to be finding his best form. We have Carty, May and Merrin for lock. Something has to give sooner rather than later.

tripster

Juniors
The biggest issue for Peachy is Blake is a must at centre and Whare seems to be finding his best form. We have Carty, May and Merrin for lock. Something has to give sooner rather than later.

I guess the question is how well guys are willing to tolerate there always being competition for spots and not being guaranteed a starting first grade position each week.

We are spoiled for quality depth in a few positions now. However that means when too many people are fit and healthy someone misses out and has to play reserves.

Injuries are an inevitable part of every season but having real depth makes them less of an issue and is another one of our team's strengths.

The fact we had Whare able to slot straight back into centre with Blake injured is a real blessing. Imagine what would have happened 5 years ago - we would have had some reserve grader come in who would have been a real weak spot in the side.

I guess the question is how well guys are willing to tolerate there always being competition for spots and not being guaranteed a starting first grade position each week.

We are spoiled for quality depth in a few positions now. However that means when too many people are fit and healthy someone misses out and has to play reserves.

Injuries are an inevitable part of every season but having real depth makes them less of an issue and is another one of our team's strengths.

The fact we had Whare able to slot straight back into centre with Blake injured is a real blessing. Imagine what would have happened 5 years ago - we would have had some reserve grader come in who would have been a real weak spot in the side.

Purtell, O'Halloran, Hookey.....:grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

chrisD

Coach
It seems likely May will put on some size, if he puts on enough he might be viable as a fringe forward. But I think we need more size in those positions rather than another lighter player and would be looking to Kikau there.

This piece says Moylan is likely to go to Manly if he left,

&

That he's not happy about his absence being portrayed as a mental health issue.

Josh Massoud so take it with a grain of salt.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/...-the-club-firming-for-matt-moylans-signature/

No quotes there from anyone. Just speculation because he had a good past relationship with Barrett.

I will stick to what is being said behind closed doors. Moylan is telling his team mates he will be there next year. I don't think he would lie to them.

PENRITH, meet your future.

Dylan Edwards and Tyrone May are ready to help lead the Panthers into Friday night’s semi-final clash with the Broncos in Brisbane, as Penrith officials work to re-sign the rising stars to new long-term deals.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Panthers general manager of football Phil Gould is negotiating contract extensions for the cut-price duo to stop rival clubs from poaching the 21-year-olds.

The Panthers are confident they can keep Edwards and May, who are both contracted until the end of 2018, regardless of whether captain Matt Moylan stays at the club.
Edwards has become an instant star this year at fullback, which was the catalyst for Moylan’s move to five-eighth.

Moylan’s halves replacement May has quickly formed a strong scrumbase bond with halfback Nathan Cleary, who is negotiating a five-year extension.

Moylan remains unavailable for Friday night’s Suncorp Stadium semi-final as he undergoes further counselling for personal issues, with no guarantee he will remain at Penrith despite being contract until the end of 2021.

Rival clubs will be able to negotiate with Edwards and May from November 1, but both players have stated their desire to remain with the Panthers.

“I would love to stay here forever, to be honest,” May told The Daily Telegraph. “I grew up here, all my family is here in Penrith.

“I’m a Minchinbury junior — I would love to be here for the rest of my life.

“Whatever happens moving forward, I think both of us (he and Edwards) are really happy being here. We have come through the system here and I don’t think we’re looking to move anywhere.

“But I’m not worrying about that (negotiations) too much. I will let the staff and team management look after it.”
May desperately wants Moylan to remain a Panther.

“He has been a massive help,” May said. “I can’t thank Matt enough. As far as I know, he is here and he hasn’t spoken about being anywhere else.

“Player welfare is the main key here. The club and all the players are fully behind him.”

May has emerged quickly and brilliantly. He is a champion-in-waiting.

“I didn’t expect to play first grade this year to be honest,” May said. “I just wanted to find some form in NSW Cup and then aim for a shot next year.

“The club has shown some faith in our young boys and I think it is starting to pay off.”

Edwards also spoke about staying at Pepper Stadium long-term.

“I love the club and it would be nice to stay but I haven’t spoken about it. That’s my manager’s job,” Edwards said. “This is where I feel comfortable at the moment.

“It would definitely be nice to stay together but sometimes it doesn’t work out like that. But, in an ideal world, it would be good if we could all stay together. I am loving (my footy) — it’s a dream come true. We are really enjoying our footy.”
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/fe54b348152824bfd8244cb230d585c0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts