What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals week 2 - Eels v cowboys

TheParraboy

Staff member
Alright. Positivity!!! So some of you may know that I have a wedding to go to on the prelim (if we make it). I am prepared to get in everyone's bad books by leaving and coming back.

The reception is 20min walk from Allianz (I reckon 10 if I run). Reception starts at 6, I hang out till 7:40, run to Allianz, watch the game, run back by 10pm. I will leave the girlfriend at the wedding as an alibi. Fool proof!!!

Mate have you thought about if the game goes deep into extra time, we end up winning in dramatic circumstances and the parra boys come over and acknowledge and celebrate with the fans well after the game? surely you don't want to miss this??

eel01s

Bench
Some guys sitting next to me in Melbourne on Saturday were doing the same thing and they were still in their suits. They were from Sydney but had the wedding in Melbourne and lucked out because the Eels game was there so it worked out perfectly for them. But because it was a 4pm game they had it easier and weren't going to miss the reception.
I had to attend a wedding on GF day in 2009. Told my mrs that there was no way I was not watching Parra on a big screen. After the loss I returned to the reception in a dejected mood of course. Even worse, I apparently missed the best course of food that night.

Don't worry Noise, it can be done. Hopefully the Eels get up for you mate.

TheParraboy

Staff member
on the game itself

do we need to throw the dice here and play an expansive game and blow them away?
or do we play a bit like they do, keep things tight and close and try and grind out a win?

someone on NRL 360 said we will get destroyed (that gay journo forget his name)

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
on the game itself

do we need to throw the dice here and play an expansive game and blow them away?
or do we play a bit like they do, keep things tight and close and try and grind out a win?

The boys need to make sure we don't take them easy.

Just play our natural game in attack and make sure we complete our sets, that will guarantee a win.

Everyone is talking up the cowboys win but Sharks were terrible on Sunday.

The cowboys had nearly 60% of the ball and completed at 80% and could only get two tries which really weren't that well crafted!!

They also had similar stats against the broncos and also struggled to score.

Their attack is very predictable, it's basically Morgan or JT, we should be able to defend their attack easily, as long as we don't take them easy. They don't score long distance tries their last. 4 or so tries have all been from 10 or so metres out.

But the cowboys to do the basically very well, complete their sets and defence is good.

The journos on the Cowboys bandwagon have NFI I reckon. One good win and suddenly they are talked up.

Let's just hope it's the eels that played the storm / broncos that show up not the one against the Knights / Souths!!

Incorrect

Coach
The boys need to make sure we don't take them easy.

Just play our natural game in attack and make sure we complete our sets, that will guarantee a win.

Everyone is talking up the cowboys win but Sharks were terrible on Sunday.

The cowboys had nearly 60% of the ball and completed at 80% and could only get two tries which really weren't that well crafted!!

They also had similar stats against the broncos and also struggled to score.

Their attack is very predictable, it's basically Morgan or JT, we should be able to defend their attack easily, as long as we don't take them easy. They don't score long distance tries their last. 4 or so tries have all been from 10 or so metres out.

But the cowboys to do the basically very well, complete their sets and defence is good.

The journos on the Cowboys bandwagon have NFI I reckon. One good win and suddenly they are talked up.

Let's just hope it's the eels that played the storm / broncos that show up not the one against the Knights / Souths!!
Granville needs a close eye kept on him. The Knights and Souths both played games against based on up tempo scoots from Levi and Farah (Farah FFS!) out of dummy half and engaging a couple of defenders before laying off to bigger merkins and creating that roll on. Simple but effective. And that's the sort of game the Cowboys can execute well despite their missing troops as Granville can be an effective runner from dummy half and of course they have some of those "bigger merkins" I alluded to in Hess and Taumololo

Noise

Coach
Thanks to all for your help. I will be going to that game (if we make it). I take full responsibility for clogging this thread and I apologise to those who may be getting the shits. Carry on with the Eels v Cowboys game talk...

T.S Quint

Coach
Halfway through 2009 I booked a holiday up to Nelson Bay with some mates. Was to leave early on GF day, and go to a pub when I get up there to watch the games.
Parra were third last, and not any hope of playing Finals at that stage.

Then it happened - we made the GF!
Needless to say, I told my mates I would be coming up a day late. No way I was going to miss going to the game.
I'm just lucky I didn't book a holiday that had flights overseas. Would have been a tricky (and expensive) decision to make then.

T.S Quint

Coach
on the game itself

Play our game. Don't worry about how they will play.
Complete our sets. Defend well. Don't get to ahead of ourselves. Build pressure as much as we can. We can stifle their game and get over the top of them.
Our middle defence needs to be on song. Can't let Taumololo run riot.

If we slow down the ruck as much as we can (and get away with it) then the Cowboys will have troubles. If we give away penalties and they are allowed quick play-the-balls, then we may have a big problem.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Agree with everything that has been said, particularly JT, need line speed and numbers at him, we need to be dominant so he doesn't get a quick play the ball going.

We win this one then I'm at our next 2 games ( though I'm working gf day will find a way might ask noise for some advice :grinning:)

Angry_eel

First Grade
So JT has been named to pay or are we all guessing?

Oh wait - This is Taumalolo, my bad, newbie mistake

eels_fan

First Grade
Kenny seemed to allude in one of the interviews today that Tepai isn't looking good so he'll be starting