What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Timbo

Staff member
The issue with reduction is the Gold Memberships empty seats

I wonder how are RL fans any more

Or is it a way to buy a local car parking spot these days

That's a $10k car park. That's a long bow, even for Paddo.

Perth Red

Post Whore
NQ's Stadium had it's first truck on the scene a couple of days ago, let's get this shit done!!!

Good stuff! Cant wait to see it full of Cowboys fans. Should get them back towards the 20k they enjoyed early days.

Just Canberra now and that's the non Sydney teams sorted.

Timbo

Staff member
I'd say most would be Waratahs fans. But a fair few are Roosters fans.

Looked about 1/2 full for the roosters v Broncos final.

To be fair, most of the people who have the gold membership have it for the cricket, with the AFL a distant second.

Most of them see the SFS as a bonus.

To be fair, most of the people who have the gold membership have it for the cricket, with the AFL a distant second.

Most of them see the SFS as a bonus.

True, which is why I think a reduced capacity SFS could work.

It would be a very rare event where all members turn up. Perhaps a wallabies test or ANZAC day?

35k would be a great number.

Timbo

Staff member
Wallabies tests, and when the Waratahs are having a strong season. But yeah, league is the last sport for the bulk of gold members I'd say.

Wallabies tests, and when the Waratahs are having a strong season. But yeah, league is the last sport for the bulk of gold members I'd say.

Even when the Waratahs are having a strong season 35k would be enough.

I actually think Aleague would be down lower than NRL for members.

M2D2

Bench
Is the logic for a reduced capacity SFS just to save coin in the upgrade?
Maybe the idea by them is to create an aami park like stadium? Maybe its for the vibe of the place?
hqdefault.jpg

Is the logic for a reduced capacity SFS just to save coin in the upgrade?

Saves money is an advantage but it helps grow crowds for club matches. Better atmosphere & more people are likely to come.

So whilst you might lose 10k people a few times a year, you'll more than make up for it by growing crowds for smaller games. Even if a better atmosphere only grew crowds by 1-2k a game the overall aggregate for the year would be higher.

adamkungl

Immortal
Well it is tax payers money, if a 35k stadium is adequate for need then saving the taxpayer $100mill is enough in itself surely?

So yes.

Saves money is an advantage but it helps grow crowds for club matches. Better atmosphere & more people are likely to come.

So whilst you might lose 10k people a few times a year, you'll more than make up for it by growing crowds for smaller games. Even if a better atmosphere only grew crowds by 1-2k a game the overall aggregate for the year would be higher.

Better atmosphere?
The current SFS is well liked for its atmosphere and the much larger Lang Park is even moreso.
I don't think a vaguely maybe better atmosphere by being smaller will grow crowds in itself, any growth would be due to a new stadium and improved transport links.

So yes.

Better atmosphere?
The current SFS is well liked for its atmosphere and the much larger Lang Park is even moreso.
I don't think a vaguely maybe better atmosphere by being smaller will grow crowds in itself, any growth would be due to a new stadium and improved transport links.

There was a post a few pages back that explained this well (post made by a Storm fan)

Basically the concept is when designing a stadium to set the capacity at a level where it would be 2/3 full, 2/3 of the time. This would provide the best atmosphere & likely also the best ROI. It's not the size of the stadium, it's the percentage of seats you can fill.

Look at it this way,

Would 20k people in a 35k seat stadium be a better atmosphere than 20k in a 45k stadium? Of course.

Now after attending that event, particularly if you're a newcomer, wouldn't you be more likely to return having enjoyed the atmosphere? The more you enjoy it, the more likely you are to return.

Obviously a new stadium is going to be the main driver of increased crowds, but you still need to find the sweet spot for size. 45k seems totally unnecessary to me. (And given the link I posted, some behind the scenes feel the same way)

adamkungl

Immortal
There was a post a few pages back that explained this well (post made by a Storm fan)

Basically the concept is when designing a stadium to set the capacity at a level where it would be 2/3 full, 2/3 of the time. This would provide the best atmosphere & likely also the best ROI.

Look at it this way,

Would 20k people in a 35k seat stadium be a better atmosphere than 20k in a 45k stadium? Of course.

Now after attending that event, particularly if you're a newcomer, wouldn't you be more likely to return having enjoyed the atmosphere? The more you enjoy it, the more likely you are to return.

Obviously a new stadium is going to be the main driver of increased crowds, but you still need to find the sweet spot for size. 45k seems totally unnecessary to me. (And given the link I posted, some behind the scenes feel the same way)

Fair argument.
But I like to think Roosters will average 30k by then. We'll be on our 12th premiership in a row by the time it gets built.

Going by the following article from the Sydney Morning Herald's website, it sounds like the NRL are putting up some fight regarding the ANZ Stadium re-build -

Sydney grand finals hinge on ANZ Stadium: NRL's reminder to NSW government
by Michael Chammas
September 14 2017 - 8:00PM

The NRL has reminded the NSW government that their recent 20-year commitment to play grand finals in Sydney hinges around the major redevelopment of ANZ Stadium.

Uncertainty surrounding stadia investment in Sydney could open the door for the NRL, as well as the FFA, to backflip on the memorandum of understanding that was signed in relation to a content guarantee last year.

At a recent meeting with the NRL, NSW premier Gladys Berejiklian asked for clarification surrounding the details of that particular MOU, as she continues to ponder the breakdown of the investment into Sydney stadia.

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg may not have been bullish in his response, but it's understood Berejiklian was left under no illusions as to what needed to happen to secure a two-decade guarantee from the NRL to play grand finals and State of Origin games in Sydney.

An NRL spokesperson said the memorandum of understanding required work on all three stadia to be delivered in return for a guarantee on taking games to ANZ Stadium for major events.

"We look forward to seeing the MOU delivered in full," the NRL spokesperson said.

The NRL's current deal with the state government to play grand finals and Origin matches in Sydney expires at the end of the 2019 season. The Queensland, Victorian and Western Australian governments have been lobbying to lure major rugby league events to their respective states, and the timing of the proposed redevelopment of ANZ Stadium had opened the window for the NRL to take games away from its traditional heartland.

Greenberg hinted as much himself last year when he declared his preference would be to avoid hosting major events in a "construction site", with many expecting Suncorp Stadium to be given the right to host a decider while ANZ Stadium is out of action.

However the NRL has been hamstrung in its planning due to the uncertainty surrounding the government's investment, unable to lock in dates and events with other states as a result.

Football Federation Australia have also made a 12-year commitment to Sydney on the proviso ANZ Stadium gets a major facelift, however strong lobbying from the powerful SCG Trust and sports minister Stuart Ayres has thrown plans in the air.

There is an argument being made to knock down and rebuild Allianz Stadium, however the NRL fails to see the logic in building a brand new 50,000-seat stadium when regular season matches struggle to fill a third of that and major events require a larger capacity.

ANZ Stadium has already hosted 12 events with crowds in excess of 35,000 this year, with the NRL grand final, two potential Socceroos World Cup qualifiers and this weekend's Eels-Cowboys semi-final expected to take that to 16 by the end of the year.

There is a push, backed by the Sydney Roosters, to build a 35,000-seat stadium at Moore Park – something the NRL believes is a sensible alternative to the 50,000-seat proposal being considered by government. The NRL haven't moved from its original ambition to have a 30,000-seat stadium in Parramatta, a permanent rectangular major events stadium at Sydney Olympic Park and then, if funding allowed, a boutique 35,000-40,000-seat stadium at Moore Park on the existing site occupied by Allianz Stadium.

Interesting.

Gladys Berejiklian doesn't know what she's got herself into.

In one corner it's the NRL, Canterbury, Souths, Roosters & FFA

In the other it's SCG trust, minister Ayres & the AFL.

Panny_14

Juniors
100% agree with the NRL on this one.

Renamed to suite;

Eastern Sydney Stadium 30k
Sydney Olympic Stadim 70k
Western Sydney Stadium 30k

Plus with all the improvements with public transport.

BlueandGold

Juniors
Gladys Berejiklian doesn't know what she's got herself into.

In one corner it's the NRL, Canterbury, Souths, Roosters & FFA

In the other it's SCG trust, minister Ayres & the AFL.

That is a no contest.

NRL/FFA have way more pull, without them the whole plan falls over.

AFL have very little say in the matter as per Gill.