What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knock-on Effect NSW Cup - Eels Team

Gronk

Staff member
Ron Massey Cup Grand Final

Yet to win a Ron Massey Cup title in the club’s history, the Auburn Warriors go in search of a maiden premiership when they take on the Wentworthville Magpies in the competition decider at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday.

Though playing without fear, the Warriors will fancy their chances of upsetting the favoured Magpies outfit, having shown no signs of stage fright in dismantling the 2017 minor premiers St Marys en route to a grand final berth.

Finishing the regular season with nine wins, and nine losses to their name, Auburn’s mid-season rise from 10th to finish Round 25 in sixth caught all by surprise – except the Warriors themselves.

“In July we were coming last, a credit to the boys and the coach, our self-belief was unbelievable. We stuck at it and things turned around,” Warriors captain Jamie Clark tells NSWRL.com.au

Their title hopes bolstered by the red-hot form of ex-NRL players Matt Utai and Omar Slaimankhel inspiring their side from the back, Clark says there’s no reason why he and the Warriors can’t make history this weekend.

“He’s slick, Omar. What he’s brought to the team, he’s a big key for us at the weekend.”

The Magpies though also hold handy ex-NRL talent, not least in the form of their hard-hitting captain, Taniela Lasalo.

Playing 40 NRL games with the Parramatta Eels in 2009 to 2014, Lasalo is aware of his side’s need to find yet another gear, despite heading into the grand final on the back of two commanding finals wins.

“Our defence has been solid the last few weeks, we can score points, but it’s our defence that wins us games,” Lasalo said.

“When we played (the Warriors) at (Ringrose Park) a few weeks ago, we won on the buzzer. I told the boys, I hope we don’t play those guys again.

“It’s going to be physical, but it’ll be enjoyable as well.”

Wentworthville have featured in six Ron Massey Cup Grand Finals dating back to their first appearance in a decider in 2003, having won four titles.

In a daunting omen for the Warriors heading into the decider, Auburn has not defeated Wentworthville since 2014 – falling twice to the Magpies in their two clashes this season also.

A head-to-head battle featuring an abundance of size and speed will be on show when Josh Minhinnick and Addison Demetriou clash at Leichhardt on Sunday.

Crossing for a hat-trick in his side’s Finals Week 1 win over Guildford, Minhinnick looked a threat at every opportunity against the Owls, and again is set to be a handful for his opposite number in the grand final.

Demetriou meanwhile tops the try-scorers list (15) for the Warriors this season, five clear of the next best in Manaia Rudolph, who has 10 to his name.

Expect both coaches to be stressing the importance of their sides defence at the weekend, such was the sentiments echoed from their respective benches in Week Three of the Ron Massey Cup finals.

Both Wentworthville and Auburn boast a big, strong and fast ‘back five’, who so often get their team’s sets off to a rolling start.

The work of the middle forwards in limiting the metres earned by the opposition backs will go a long way in swaying the result come full-time.

www.nswrl.com.au

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I thought Meehan played with this lot. Lasalo seems to have fallen from grace.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Well hasn't Jack Morris fallen out of favour considering he had a 2 year NRL contract!!

Let's hope the 2nd year isnt a move into the top squad and a waste of a spot!!

Gronk

Staff member
Well hasn't Jack Morris fallen out of favour considering he had a 2 year NRL contract!!

Let's hope the 2nd year isnt a move into the top squad and a waste of a spot!!

Morris prepared to wait a bit longer for first grade start
b88721728z1_20170428144408_000ga4jparb2-0-7q85753tbellnitb5o2_fct1275x946x186_ct620x465.jpg

READY: Gympie rugby league product Jack Morris said he is happy to wait to play first grade.NRL PHOTOS
USE THIS CONTENT
male_generic_ct30x30.png

by Tom Daunt

RUGBY LEAGUE: He is touted as one of the best young back rowers in the country.

But despite being in Parramatta's top 25, Gympie rugby league talent Jack Morris says a first grade start may be a way off yet.

Gearing up to play Newton at Wentworthville tomorrow, Morris is biding his time in the New South Wales Cup.

While he is reluctant to speculate when he will get the first grade call up, he told The Gympie times he was prepared to wait.

"BA (Eels coach Brad Arthur) said he is happy with how I have been going.

"He wants me to be more aggressive and stamp my mark on the game more.”

Named in the Queensland under-20 State of Origin side last season, Morris said the step up to senior football had been a steep learning curve.

"It is a lot more physical,” Morris said. "Most of the sides we play are made up of full-time professional players. They are fit, strong and intense.

"There is pressure to perform, if we are not executing what they want, the coaches get angry.”

Morris currently sits behind Beau Scott, Tepai Moeroa and Manu Ma'u in the NRL squad pecking order.

However, he said the older players had been nothing but supportive in his goal or reaching first grade this year.

"The back rowers we have at this club are exceptional,” Morris said.

"I am happy to grind it out for a year or two in the New South Wales Cup if that's what it takes.”

Morris is contracted to the Eels until the end of 2018.

https://www.northernstar.com.au/news/morris-prepared-to-wait-a-bit-longer-for-first-gra/3171937/

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Morris prepared to wait a bit longer for first grade start
b88721728z1_20170428144408_000ga4jparb2-0-7q85753tbellnitb5o2_fct1275x946x186_ct620x465.jpg

READY: Gympie rugby league product Jack Morris said he is happy to wait to play first grade.NRL PHOTOS
USE THIS CONTENT
male_generic_ct30x30.png

by Tom Daunt

RUGBY LEAGUE: He is touted as one of the best young back rowers in the country.

But despite being in Parramatta's top 25, Gympie rugby league talent Jack Morris says a first grade start may be a way off yet.

Gearing up to play Newton at Wentworthville tomorrow, Morris is biding his time in the New South Wales Cup.

While he is reluctant to speculate when he will get the first grade call up, he told The Gympie times he was prepared to wait.

"BA (Eels coach Brad Arthur) said he is happy with how I have been going.

"He wants me to be more aggressive and stamp my mark on the game more.”

Named in the Queensland under-20 State of Origin side last season, Morris said the step up to senior football had been a steep learning curve.

"It is a lot more physical,” Morris said. "Most of the sides we play are made up of full-time professional players. They are fit, strong and intense.

"There is pressure to perform, if we are not executing what they want, the coaches get angry.”

Morris currently sits behind Beau Scott, Tepai Moeroa and Manu Ma'u in the NRL squad pecking order.

However, he said the older players had been nothing but supportive in his goal or reaching first grade this year.

"The back rowers we have at this club are exceptional,” Morris said.

"I am happy to grind it out for a year or two in the New South Wales Cup if that's what it takes.”

Morris is contracted to the Eels until the end of 2018.

https://www.northernstar.com.au/news/morris-prepared-to-wait-a-bit-longer-for-first-gra/3171937/

He may have to wait a while, he can't even make the NSW cup bench !