What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on 2017/2018

StadiumXIII

Juniors
I am not going into a long winded rap of the year but at the end of 2016 although we just missed the 8 I was pretty negative about our chance in 2017, based on what we produced at the end of the season in a few games we had to win. Funny enough this year is a total different feeling. I think since Cleary took over we have shown enamours improvement and although we did not win a lot of games we were in the contest and competing.

When you look at our team on paper it was made up of reserve graders, rookies,journey men and a couple of SOO class players. Cleary had them punching miles above their weight. So next year with the influx of a lot of hard headed pros and some young talent its very hard not to be excited.

Of course the trick will be introducing so many new players to a new system. Most clubs really struggle for a year when they have a lot of new recruits but I am confident Cleary will handle the challenge.

Second year syndrome could also be a challenge for some of our youngsters and I also some of our current team are going to find themselves in reserve grade next year and will they be able to keep the motivation going waiting for a break.

Anyway basically I feel 100% more positive now than I did this time last year, okay I don't think we will win the comp in 2018 but I think we are going to set a great platform for the future
Not too impressed with the signings for next year.. Ben Matulino and Russell Packer should form an interesting partnership in the front row, will be interesting to see what they do with Reynolds maybe play him at hooker starting 17 could be.
1.Lolohea
2.Naiqama
3.Suli
4.Fonua/Chee Kam
5.Nofoaluma
6.Marshall
7.Brooks
8.Packer
9.Reynolds
10.Matulino
11.Masters
12.McQueen
13.Taylor
14.Aloai
15.Twal
16.Eisenhuth
17.Sue

Ned Kelly

Juniors
For fear of being banned I won't suggest Reynolds as hooker but ever since I first heard it mentioned it has got me thinking. He is a classic organizer and isn't that what a number 9 is? ( I feel like I'm skating on thin ice saying that.)

I better change the subject before I'm thrown out.

I'm tipping Gamble at halfback around mid season.

Tiger Ted

Bench
For fear of being banned I won't suggest Reynolds as hooker but ever since I first heard it mentioned it has got me thinking. He is a classic organizer and isn't that what a number 9 is? ( I feel like I'm skating on thin ice saying that.)

We desperately need someone like Gamble to shine & take ownership of the halfback position coz Brooks isn't capable & belongs in state cup.Hence no other team has a void for a classy player like Moylan who can play in a no. of positions in the spine than us !

Tiger05

First Grade
Brooks might turn into that key playmaker but truthfully I think our best half on our roster for next season is Benji.

Vic Mackey

Referee

I get why people are saying it. But we haven't spent $700-$800kpa to play a guy in a position he hasn't played for 7 years

Tiger Ted

Bench
Brooks might turn into that key playmaker but truthfully I think our best half on our roster for next season is Benji.
I agree only if Benji steers clear of the palace hotel Mortlake & devotes himself to making season '18 a dignified Swansong @ tigertown.However my strong hunch is he will succumb to the temptations on offer re old habits & will revert to the lazy useless Benji of his final 2 yrs('12 & '13) with us !!

BrotherJim05

Bench
I get why people are saying it. But we haven't spent $700-$800kpa to play a guy in a position he hasn't played for 7 years

Agree. This whole Reynolds to Hooker nonsense needs to stop. He has been signed to play 5/8. He's played his entire first grade career as 5/8, won a State of Origin series and played in two Grand Finals in this position. He may be erratic at times but having an experienced half will do wonders for Brooks.

Maybe if injuries call for it then he could be moved to hooker but it is a massive gamble and one that should only be considered if we desperately need it.

gordsy

Juniors
Agreed we have MM and Liddle and I'm sure Reynolds would only need to play hooker for a game or two until we could sign another hooker as cover. It's not like we could grab someone from Q cup etc for a hell of lot less than the 800k we are paying Reynolds to play in the halves.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Would Jake Friend solve all our supposed spine problems?
He’s a heck of a lot better than our current 9’s but he won’t solve our spine issues coz we don’t have a quality playmaker in the halves.

What sucks about this massively lopsided competition is we need someone like cronk to run the side around a hell of a lot more than the rorters do !!

Clifferd

Coach
We lack leaders in the spine and he would definitely help. I hope we chase him if he becomes available to help Reynolds out

Imo if you want to be successful you can only afford to carry 1 maybe 2 max rookies in your spine. We have 3 as it stands

Rabbits20

Immortal
We lack leaders in the spine and he would definitely help. I hope we chase him if he becomes available to help Reynolds out

Imo if you want to be successful you can only afford to carry 1 maybe 2 max rookies in your spine. We have 3 as it stands
The draw looks great I think.....

BrotherJim05

Bench
Friend would be massive for us. Reynolds, Brooks and Benji is a good balance of experience in our halves but MM and Liddle are realistically untested. 2017 was their first year of semi-regular first grade and it's clear they have a long way to go. I don't want to see ET playing hooker if there are injuries either. He is a back rower through and through.

Friend would add experience and leadership in the spine and turn our forward pack into a genuine threat

BuffaloRules

Coach
Like I said when he signed,if they are relying on Benji to be a permanent stater in the halves, then something has gone seriously wrong and they will be in wooden spoon contention again...

Looking at some of the players they have signed to long term deals -Mataulino, Reynolds, McQueen.., these blokes will be at their best next year and will keep getting rapidly older after that, so I'm thinking that next year this team really needs to stand up and break through to the Top 8...

Tiger Ted

Bench
Like I said when he signed,if they are relying on Benji to be a permanent stater in the halves, then something has gone seriously wrong and they will be in wooden spoon contention again...

Looking at some of the players they have signed to long term deals -Mataulino, Reynolds, McQueen.., these blokes will be at their best next year and will keep getting rapidly older after that, so I'm thinking that next year this team really needs to stand up and break through to the Top 8...
Unless IC is a miracle worker we have Buckley’s of making the 8 with the most pathetic spine in the NRL !!

There’s no doubt we will display grit & resilience under IC but we glaringly lack key players with the smarts & the class to get us over the line in close games & more importantly to help us win enough games to make the 8 !

Latest posts