What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toronto Wolfpack in League 1

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
NRL duo Dave Taylor and Josh McCrone and former St George Illawarra, Brisbane and North Queensland forward Ashton Sims have been unveiled as the latest signings for ambitious Toronto Wolfpack.

The Canadian club, fresh from clinching promotion from League 1, have confirmed the signing of Warrington’s Fijian Test prop Sims and followed up their earlier recruitment of Widnes centre Tom Armstrong with further eye-catching additions as they prepare for the step up to the Championship.

GAME CHANGERS: How the Toronto Wolfpack are making history
Dave Taylor is headed to Toronto.
The capture of former Queensland and Australia forward Taylor, known as the ‘Coal Train’, in particular is a statement of intent as Toronto set their sights on promotion to Super League for the 2019 season.

The 29-year-old was in Super League last year with Catalans Dragons before being released and has spent this season kickstarting his career with Canberra in the NRL, where he previously played for Brisbane and South Sydney.

fe5c2d01a10ec8b208d2ebea99d88005

Josh McCrone.
a9230ee551268d3692a06a9ad5afc143

Ashton Sims playing for Warrington Wolves.
“I’m excited about the challenge of joining the Wolfpack,” said Taylor, who made eight State of Origin appearances for Queensland and made his debut for the Kangaroos in 2012.
“There’s clearly some crazy good things happening with rugby league in Toronto and I can’t wait to get there. I’m pretty sure they’ll like my style of play and hopefully it will excite Canada.”

465682901ff58ff505eedb9b589c2f09

Toronto Wolfpack captain Craig Hall hoists the trophy as the first-year rugby league team celebrates winning the Kingstone Press League 1 title and promotion to the English Championship.
McCrone, 30, has made more than 150 NRL appearances since making his debut for Canberra in 2009.

“I’m looking forward to the opportunity to be part of the first transatlantic pro sports team and our journey to the Super League,” he said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/3b13d76ab8271afa0a091078ab5cfa0d

Thats great!! They are definitely Super League quality players and i can understand why these guys are keen to try their hand in Canada. In their position, id take that offer in a second...

As far as i can see, the last piece they are missing is a great playmaker. You can understand why the top players arent keen to go to a second division team, but if they are promoted again next year hopefully they can snap up a decent half/hooker.

Imagine someone like Cam Smith heading over their to finish his career...

Tigers1986

Juniors
So basically everything people knew was going to happen, happened (Bradford relegated, Toronto walking League 1 for promotion). Should've swapped them at the start of the year.

latingringo101

Juniors
Well done to the Wolfpack, I know the RFL in recent years have copied criticism for various reasons, but allowing a Canadian team into their competition structure is one of the best decisions they've ever made.

Sjrugby

Juniors
I loves listening to the League 1 show, but since the wolfpack are moving up is there any recommendations for a podcast that covers the champions league ?

With the confirmation of a 2nd Canada team and hopefully a USA based team I'll still listen to league 1.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Thats great!! They are definitely Super League quality players and i can understand why these guys are keen to try their hand in Canada. In their position, id take that offer in a second...

As far as i can see, the last piece they are missing is a great playmaker. You can understand why the top players arent keen to go to a second division team, but if they are promoted again next year hopefully they can snap up a decent half/hooker.

Imagine someone like Cam Smith heading over their to finish his career...

Smith, Cronk, Thurston and Slater looking to reunite for one more season to add a SL title to their resume

Stallion

First Grade
Slowly but surely...

The only place RL seems to be stalling is in Australia.

Ever since Superleague got its way in OZ! Public faith and confidence in rugby league (footy when I was growing up) was rattled severely!

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
I loves listening to the League 1 show, but since the wolfpack are moving up is there any recommendations for a podcast that covers the champions league ?

With the confirmation of a 2nd Canada team and hopefully a USA based team I'll still listen to league 1.

I cant help with a podcast, but just to help your google searches its Championship the Champions league is something totally different.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Ever since Superleague got its way in OZ! Public faith and confidence in rugby league (footy when I wss growing up) was rattled severely!

Yep, shame we have almost a dozen teams in an oversaturated market while the rest of the country is almost entirely neglected...

Its a shame the ARL weren't able to go through with their plan to rationalise Sydney down to a more reasonable number

Stallion

First Grade
Yep, shame we have almost a dozen teams in an oversaturated market while the rest of the country is almost entirely neglected...

Its a shame the ARL weren't able to go through with their plan to rationalise Sydney down to a more reasonable
number

Ignorant comment. You would rather see the foundation of this competition be weakened. Lose all the rivalries that exist, the fans, the familiarity and longevity which is closely linked to credibility. Shear lunacy on your part. We dissagree and what I have mentioned to you is tangible reality but you choose to dismiss with your flippant disregard for history and longevity in the market place. I'll give u the tip Newcastle would not have entered the top flight if it meant the execution of a Sydney club. The town had respect and adoration for the Sydney clubs. This adoration grown out of decades of tv exposure which strengthened the regard for the game and its clubs. Novocastrians love the Sydney clubs and turn up even when the homeside is struggling as these longstanding clubs are respected and have their own fans within Newcastle. Your destructionist viewpoint is disturbing and sad.

Last edited:

StadiumXIII

Juniors
Toronto have just signed Joe Westerman from Warrington and Andy Ackers from London Broncos. If they're not in Super League by 2019 then there must be some real quality in the Championship. Imagine one day Toronto playing a WCC match in Canada! how big that will be for the sport.

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
I watched Salford play Toronto in the early rounds of the Challenge Cup and the Red Devils struggled to put Toronto away, it was only late in the game when combinations weren't that tried and tested for the Wolf Pack that Salford were able to run away with the game.

Storm13

Juniors
Toronto have just signed Joe Westerman from Warrington and Andy Ackers from London Broncos. If they're not in Super League by 2019 then there must be some real quality in the Championship. Imagine one day Toronto playing a WCC match in Canada! how big that will be for the sport.
Not only that but you would think a good shot of going deep in the CC next year. Exciting times.

Stallion

First Grade

Where is rhe 2nd Canadian team coming from? Montreal? Just wondering.