What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 GF | PREMIERS - Storm 34-6 Cowboys @ ANZ

Grand Final: Storm v Cowboys

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thorson1987

Coach
images

It is a bit rich coming from Knightmare.

Just need to see his posts in the interstate forum to see the chip he has on his shoulder.

LESStar58

Referee
It will all depend on Slater going around again, they're a much stronger side with Slater.
But I think people underrate Cronk even still, remember how Queensland was without him.

Billy will play on so he can play Origin at the MCG again and also to get to 300 games.

Selfish reasons and I reckon he's earnt it.

Stormfan22

Juniors
We will be still up n about for a few years yet folks so get used to it. The planning the clubs done for the big 3 to leave has been phenomenal.

I thought the refs were spot on for the gf. Kept the penalties to a minimum and let the game flow which made it very entertaining , especially for us storm fans with 6 tries and a few, line breaks ! Oh what a night it was boys

pantherz9103

First Grade
Lol, weren't you a storm fan for like a year when the pennies were getting brutalised every week?

No, I was an admirer of the Storm. I wasn't a fan, didn't go to any games of theirs and then when I found out they cheated the cap I didn't like them so much, but then I realised that I'm happy they are winning comps and the Broncos aren't of late, haha.... These days I mostly admire their ability to piss people off with their success, it's hilarious.

moffla

Bench
Just watched the Grand Final replay last night.

First thing I noticed was that the commentary is getting worse and worse every year. They just don't seem to give a flying f**k anymore.

I know that the game wasn't the most exciting from the perspective of a neutral, but commentators are tasked with engaging television audience as best as possible. The audible groan from Gould as Finucane was about to score was cringeworthy

thorson1987

Coach
Just watched the Grand Final replay last night.

First thing I noticed was that the commentary is getting worse and worse every year. They just don't seem to give a flying f**k anymore.

I know that the game wasn't the most exciting from the perspective of a neutral, but commentators are tasked with engaging television audience as best as possible. The audible groan from Gould as Finucane was about to score was cringeworthy

Haven't seen the 9 replay but watched the Fox one last night and the commentary wasn't too bad.

MilkShark

First Grade
Good on the Cowoys for getting there but that was such an anticlimactic match.

It didn't have the Grand Final feel about it at all.

Ha i still hear Broncos fans whinging that Brad Mackay got it over Kevin Walters one year in a losing side. Imagine is Darren missed out you'd never hear the end of it.

Only players to get the Clive Churchill Medal in a losing side:

1991 - Brad Clyde (Canberra)
1993 - Brad Mackay (St George)
2013 - Daly Cherry Evans (Manly).

There is a rule for this mate, someone posted it in here last night.

Following are most of excepts from the Laws of the Game regarding Obstruction or which may be applicable -

OBSTRUCTION - is the illegal act of impeding an opponent who does not have the ball. (Section 2, Glossary, page 6)

Obstruction - 5. A player who is not holding the ball shall not be tackled or obstructed. (See Section 15). (Section 5, Mode of Play, page 11).

Definition of misconduct - 1. A player is guilty of misconduct if he:….
(j) deliberately obstructs an opponent who is not in possession. (Section 15, Misconduct, page 38).

Obstruction after kick - (j) A common form of obstruction occurs when a player, after kicking the ball forward, is tackled or impeded by an opponent. However, a tackler cannot be expected to delay making a tackle because the player in possession might decide to kick the ball. The onus is on the kicker to get his kick in before his opponent commits himself to the tackle. (Section 15, Misconduct, note on page 38).

Obstructing
– offside player
– after knock-on It is illegal to obstruct any opponent not in possession, even one who is offside or one who is endeavouring to get to the ball after it has been knocked on or thrown forward. (Section 15, Misconduct, Note on page 40).

When to blow whistle - 8.1 The Referee must carry a whistle which he shall blow whistle to commence and terminate each half of the game. Except for these occasions the blowing of the whistle shall temporarily stop the play. The Referee shall blow the whistle: ….
(e) when play is irregularly affected by the ball or the player carrying the ball coming into contact with the Referee, a Touch Judge, or with any person not taking part in the match or with any object which should not normally be on the playing field.
(f) when any irregularity, not provided for in these Laws, occurs and one team unjustifiably gains an advantage (Section 16, Duties of Referee and Touch Judges, page 43).

Mutual Infringement 8.1(e) and (f) - Where play is irregularly affected in the field of play, the Referee shall re-start play with a scrum with the attacking team (i.e. with territorial advantage) to receive the loose head and feed. The Referee is the sole judge of what constitutes a mutual infringement, and whether or not play has been irregularly affected. Contact between a defender and Referee may not constitute a mutual infringement. (Section 16, Duties of Referee and Touch Judges, Note on page 43).

As can be seen, none of the laws of the game deal with obstruction by the referee. The only one that might is law 8.1 (f) in Section 16. The problem there is that, in this situation, had the contact with the referee been deemed a mutual infringement, the resulting scrum would have given the Cowboys the loosehead and feed.

The issue revolves around whether one of the teams "unjustifiably gains an advantage"?

Thadius

Juniors
Game went as expected. Storm should be back to back premiers now as they have been the best side in the past two seasons.

I would expect Easts to push them a lot harder in 18.

thorson1987

Coach
Following are most of excepts from the Laws of the Game regarding Obstruction or which may be applicable -

As can be seen, none of the laws of the game deal with obstruction by the referee. The only one that might is law 8.1 (f) in Section 16. The problem there is that, in this situation, had the contact with the referee been deemed a mutual infringement, the resulting scrum would have given the Cowboys the loosehead and feed.

The issue revolves around whether one of the teams "unjustifiably gains an advantage"?

In the sections you quoted.

Contact between a defender and Referee may not constitute a mutual infringement.

Latest posts