What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Crush

Coach
And what if we finish, say, 6th and lose first semi?

Not a great year and he won't be sacked.

As some have pointed out already, the only satisfactory measure of a coach is as follows:

1. Is he bringing out the best in the team; and

2. Is he capable of coaching the team to a premiership.

Mary miserably fails on both counts. And any other measure is artificial.

I can say without a shadow of doubt that Storm could not win premiership this year if Mary were coach. But there are many other coaches who could give it a real shake with that exact team.

This constant reassessing Mary's abilities, when there's nothing to reassess, is disgraceful management incompetence.

2018 could well turn out lose-lose. Again.

Straight Shooter
I know you already know this but the board don't care if we win or lose really. They don't care what you or I think. They are a bunch of old guys that are stuck on the old days. They are the least progressive people in the NRL.

If the Dragons finished 6th in regular season they would be more than satisfied. It would mean that the pressure was off them for a while. Not that there is really any pressure on them anyway.

The only people that are really affected by winning or losing are the fans. And we have no way to influence what they do, who they appoint etc.

I try not to obsess over it. I trick myself into believing that next year is the year. Its easier that way. But next year probably isn't the year.

As I have said I want the dragons in 2018 to finish week 3 of finals or better or if that doesnt happen to finish outside the 8. I think that missing the 8 will mean we will have a new coach.

Anyway, I am really looking forward to next season to see how we go with proper halves. Who knows maybe it will make the difference and Mary will change his incompetent ways? Probably not though......

hazzbeen

Bench
I know you already know this but the board don't care if we win or lose really. They don't care what you or I think. They are a bunch of old guys that are stuck on the old days. They are the least progressive people in the NRL.

If the Dragons finished 6th in regular season they would be more than satisfied. It would mean that the pressure was off them for a while. Not that there is really any pressure on them anyway.

The only people that are really affected by winning or losing are the fans. And we have no way to influence what they do, who they appoint etc.

I try not to obsess over it. I trick myself into believing that next year is the year. Its easier that way. But next year probably isn't the year.

As I have said I want the dragons in 2018 to finish week 3 of finals or better or if that doesnt happen to finish outside the 8. I think that missing the 8 will mean we will have a new coach.

Anyway, I am really looking forward to next season to see how we go with proper halves. Who knows maybe it will make the difference and Mary will change his incompetent ways? Probably not though......
Crush I have said this before , nothing will change until they have outside influence through out the club . Need a coach that has not been in the Dragons System or we will continue to crumble . We were once a great cub , with the RIGHT people guiding us we might be great again , But not with Doust and Co ....

BrissyRedV

Bench
Dunno if anyone's seen this but this kinda tells us more of what we already knew.
Generally it is a good statistic if the team is winning as it suggests good continuity and structures. In our case, it reeks of a coach who was too stubborn and devoid of any imagination to dump players not performing and blooding young players to show their wares.

Brutalitops

Juniors
I must be in the minority here, but I actively DON'T want a new coach appointed right now.

I am holding out hope Doust once again goes hard for Bellamy when he's off contract in 2019. But to do that there's really no way anyone other than Jowls coaches us in 2018.

Suppose we brought in a 'caretaker' coach for next year. There's really no point, seeing as we would just have to pay out 2 years of Mary's contract rather than just the one. Mary is just about caretaker coach quality anyway.

I must be in the minority here, but I actively DON'T want a new coach appointed right now.

I am holding out hope Doust once again goes hard for Bellamy when he's off contract in 2019. But to do that there's really no way anyone other than Jowls coaches us in 2018.

Suppose we brought in a 'caretaker' coach for next year. There's really no point, seeing as we would just have to pay out 2 years of Mary's contract rather than just the one. Mary is just about caretaker coach quality anyway.
The damage is already done. Think of the various scenarios:
1. Someone at the top actually has the balls to admit they were wrong about McGregor and fired him.
You don't know what it would cost on the way out but it would be worth it.
Bring in a caretaker for a year with some FG pedigree.
If not - another year of McGregor's game plans, selections, bench rotations etc.
2. Let's say Doust goes for Bellamy for 2019 and succeeds - Hallelujah, our prayers have finally been answered. Then all they have to do is leave the poor bastard alone to do his job.
3. Doust fails to get Bellamy - what then?
If the team is around the 8, we run the risk of getting another McGregor extension using the current mentality. Cheap solution - good enough to keep the fans hoping that "Career Coach" will eventually turn into a world beater.
In the meantime the contracts of our top liners will come due, Other clubs will come calling and we will have to fight hard to retain.
Apart from the money, good players want to develop under good coaches and win silverware.
With McGregor still in charge, we may lose a few for the wrong reasons.
Conclusion
If we could point to one moment in history where this became very difficult for the club's future it would be the premature extension to McGregor's contract perpetrated by the geniuses at head office.
That single decision hamstrung us and gave us virtually no options or chance of improving our coaching structure and brains trust.

LINESPEED

Juniors
The damage is already done. Think of the various scenarios:
1. Someone at the top actually has the balls to admit they were wrong about McGregor and fired him.
You don't know what it would cost on the way out but it would be worth it.
Bring in a caretaker for a year with some FG pedigree.
If not - another year of McGregor's game plans, selections, bench rotations etc.
2. Let's say Doust goes for Bellamy for 2019 and succeeds - Hallelujah, our prayers have finally been answered. Then all they have to do is leave the poor bastard alone to do his job.
3. Doust fails to get Bellamy - what then?
If the team is around the 8, we run the risk of getting another McGregor extension using the current mentality. Cheap solution - good enough to keep the fans hoping that "Career Coach" will eventually turn into a world beater.
In the meantime the contracts of our top liners will come due, Other clubs will come calling and we will have to fight hard to retain.
Apart from the money, good players want to develop under good coaches and win silverware.
With McGregor still in charge, we may lose a few for the wrong reasons.
Conclusion
If we could point to one moment in history where this became very difficult for the club's future it would be the premature extension to McGregor's contract perpetrated by the geniuses at head office.
That single decision hamstrung us and gave us virtually no options or chance of improving our coaching structure and brains trust.

I can't see Graham respecting Mary at all, so there'll be a blowup sooner rather than later- hopefully in November, when Graham calls Mary out after the suck ups & cover-my-arse/watch my back boys routines start.

There'll be the usual toadying up to Mc I'm-Out-Of-My-Depth's ego in the pre-season (remember the tryst with LOVECHILD & Lafai) - playing favourites and guaranteeing their out-of-form selections ad nauseum, all season, in spite of the fan revolt against LOVECHILD
Mc Ego hasn't Bellamy's balls or brains to select youth, so our long suffering juniors will again struggle to get a crack and will look to greener pastures in 2019.
If we're stuck with Mary Mary Quite Contrary for 2018 then at least weed out Young & Hornby from the garden.

Nope, my inkling is that Mary Mac will crack under pressure & crumble in the face of Graham & Hunt's incredible experience, knowledge and man management (and Graham will get Widdop by the balls and make a captain of him).

Betcha Mary & Young had nix to do with Graham's recruitment - as he's a threat and won't be coddled.

Here's hoping!

Oh, and MAYBE, just maybe, Mary heard the NZ commentator say that LINESPEED was the All Blacks No 1 weapon in their arsenal???
Sorry to bang on, but WTF I just can't help wondering what passes for synapses in Dapto's headspace?

Last edited:

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Sorry ole mate but l for one don't want to hibernate for 2018 waiting to rid ourselves of McGregor.
Were stale now!
Heck .............. another season and my doctor will be readying for a liver transplant!
Bartender!!!!!

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Ah now there's a thought - a piss up might just do the trick

Line speed - l’ve already tried and tried again ...... and again just for good measure!
Doctor says it’s either McGregor or my liver!
If you don’t mind me saying, l’ve grown quite fond of my liver. We’ve chalked up a few kilometres and many a bar over the years and l ain’t giving up on it yet...... McGregor has to go.

Crush

Coach
This is the most positive thread in the forum. This is the only thread of hope. it's the only one that imagines our club is willing and capable of positive change
OK Grouch, if you say so mate. You must be heaps of fun at dinner parties!

ouryear

Juniors
QUOTE="Brutalitops, post: 12519650, member: 47393"]I must be in the minority here, but I actively DON'T want a new coach appointed right now.

Suppose we brought in a 'caretaker' coach for next year. There's really no point, seeing as we would just have to pay out 2 years of Mary's contract rather than just the one. Mary is just about caretaker coach quality anyway.[/QUOTE]

I cant agree on this one Brutalitops, keeping Mary for another season will result in some very bad things happening.

1. Our better Juniors will have their managers and parents phoning other clubs, we will lose several real stars. And no other junior stars from other clubs will ever call the Mary hotline.

2. Our experienced players will become demotivated, disillusioned and their performances will drop by mininum of 40%. It is human nature to drop performance if you are led by a person with poor strategies, poor decision making, poor player management, and not recognising or rewarding great performances by our juniors. I am pretty sure we have all experienced it to different degrees in our own workplaces.

3. We wont attract any geat player who may come onto the market, they will not choose us.

4. 5,000 less average crowd at every game, losing $100,000 every home game, approx $1.2 million in revenue each year, resulting in a step closer to EXTINCTION.

5. Another year of being laughed at by work mates, friends and even some family members. .....but at least there comes a time when they even feel sorry for me and call me to cheer me up.

Last edited:

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
QUOTE="Brutalitops, post: 12519650, member: 47393"]I must be in the minority here, but I actively DON'T want a new coach appointed right now.

I cant agree on this one Brutalitops, keeping Mary for another season will result in some very bad things happening.

1. Our better Juniors will have their managers and parents phoning other clubs, we will lose several real stars. And no other junior stars from other clubs will ever call the Mary hotline.

2. Our experienced players will become demotivated, disillusioned and their performances will drop by mininum of 40%. It is human nature to drop performance if you are led by a person with poor strategies, poor decision making, poor player management, and not recognising or rewarding great performances by our juniors. I am pretty sure we have all experienced it to different degrees in our own workplaces.

3. We wont attract any geat player who may come onto the market, they will not choose us.

4. 5,000 less average crowd at every game, losing $100,000 every home game, approx $1.2 million in revenue each year, resulting in a step closer to EXTINCTION.

5. Another year of being laughed at by work mates, friends and even some family members. .....but at least there comes a time when they even feel sorry for me and call me to cheer me up.[/QUOTE]

I vote ’ouryear’ to replace Doust.
In one paragraph, you have far exceeded anything Doust has offered.
Things are looking up again!

ouryear

Juniors

5. Another year of being laughed at by work mates, friends and even some family members. .....but at least there comes a time when they even feel sorry for me and call me to cheer me up.

QUOTE: = I vote ’ouryear’ to replace Doust.
In one paragraph, you have far exceeded anything Doust has offered.
Things are looking up again![/QUOTE]

Ha ha....thanks for the vote.
Your avatar is my child hood hero, along with Smithy, Wittenberg, Elton Rasmussen, and quite a few others mate.

Last edited:

Life's Good

Coach

I want Mary gone as much as anyone but am resigned to the fact he is staying for 2018(there’s no noise to suggest anything else unfortunately).So if Doust is throwing his eggs in the Bellamy basket(or even Green) and fails then he should be first out the door because he would have overseen the failure of our club for going on 7 years with poor coaching decisions regardless of us making the 8 in 2018.
We would pretty much be back to 2008 where the team on the field is good quality but lacking the coaching edge to take us forward.

This Year?

Immortal
Every time I hold any hope for a better season I just visit this thread and remind myself that rugby league can be fun*

* NB - for everyone expect saints fans.

ouryear

Juniors
Every time I hold any hope for a better season I just visit this thread and remind myself that rugby league can be fun*

* NB - for everyone expect saints fans.

Ha ha, well thats funny
Its true though, we are very passionate fans.

While other forum sites are mainly in hibernation, we plot the downfall of Mary and Doust and search for backs with speed!

Our Mantra = Expect Greatness

Last edited:

LINESPEED

Juniors
Ha ha, well thats funny
Its true though, we are very passionate fans.

While other forum sites are mainly in hibernation, we plot the downfall of Mary and Doust and search for backs with speed!

Our Mantra = Expect Greatness

Yeah downfall is good!

We need a scandal of some sort in the off season - that's another way CEOs & coaches get shafted VERY quickly!

Here's to a piss up gone wrong around Xmas!!

Just hold your horses Hasler, there might be something in the wind!?