What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

84 Baby

Referee
You can't say that Hindy. I've said that for some time and was bashed all over the park by most of the posters on here who love the status quo.
So Alvaro isn't good enough to make any NRL team?

You completely missed the point, we need game breaking props, and we have none. We need at least 2 imo and then Alvaro would be ideal as a bench prop that comes on to provide a steadying influence while our game breakers are off. He is not dynamic enough to be a starting prop but unfortunately he is what we have and superior to Mannah.
But now he is?

And how many game breaking props are there currently? I mean there must be a plethora of them if our minimum requirement is 2. We also need a game breaking hooker. We should also get 2 of those just to be on the safe side

84 Baby

Referee
I don't know why no one has thought of this before!

Although seriously Taumololololooolo has form on jumping with the wind so enjoy the million dollar Alvaro North Queensland

84 Baby

Referee
Yep, I remember now why I hadn’t looked at the site for a long time.
Is it because you're blind?
rimshot.gif

TheRam

Coach
Give me Napa over Paulo any day. He didn’t fire in prelim final no, but Paulo gone missing much more this year.

Rammy wanting a fat, lazy, *cough*pepper albeit hard ball runner over a hard working, hard hitting, successful whitie

Spare me the crap. We don't need a tackler, which is essentially what Napa is, we need a bowling ball that can make excellent yardage and a late offload, which is what Paulo is. You know the only tactic that has proven to be the most effective way to beat teams like, you know the Storm.

At the moment we have tireless workers and defenders that do their jobs to the best of their abilities, but they are all small and fade in and out of game through fatigue. In other words, it explains our inconsistency within games and during the finals series this year.

Besides that tackling palooka, Moeroa, who hasn't learned how to use his body yet in attack, we have no other player of real size in our pack that has the potential to tire out 3 and 4 defenders at a time and then a late offload or quick play the ball. I know we have Kane coming, but we will have to wait and see with that one. Also the last game Moeroa played before he got injured, was his best I thought for great carries with the ball, albeit short lived due to injury. If he comes back and shows that type of consistent go forward, then I would be one of his biggest fans. But we will see.

Back to Paulo v Napa. Horses for courses and we need a Clydesdale to cart the ball up and break up the best defenses without wearing out our smaller forwards like Brown needing to be that. Imaging him and others working off the carnage that Paulo brings and then our playmakers like Moses and Norman getting to play with the type of space that that will provide.

So please people why would or should we pay between 600k-800k for a current State player that generally only provides great strong defense that we already have and not recruit a home grown wrecking ball that was also the Raiders player of the year mind you, for similar money?

And you guys think you know football...Pa-lease!!!

TheRam

Coach
Stats might look good on paper. But it doesnt factor in Clutch....Look at Cahill, Didn't do much last night. Had 2 chances and what happens? He is clutch.
In NFL 2/3QBs of week where in top3 performances for losing teams. Rodgers who didnt feature won the game for Green bay with 1 min on clock and final drive. CLUTCH.

Moses will be clutch. Norman i am unsure.
Now One thing Jnr can do is thet one big charge that changes momentum. Same as Kasiano. We do not have that. Forget how many this or that. You also need game breakers. We lack a game breaking prop.

So spot on again Hindy.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You want Junior Paulo but you criticise our forwards for fatigue? The fact our forwards aren't big is exactly the reason they can work hard as a pack for 80 minutes.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I do agree our side needs a
Paulo more then a Napa.

Paulo pairing with either Alvaro / Mannah, would probably cover any defensive concerns.

Interestingly napa has a tackle success rate of 90% , Paulo 91%. Mannah is 94% Alvaro 95%

Tackles per game
Paulo 20
Napa 24

Metres per game
Paulo - 143 with 2.6 tackle breaks
Napa - 98 with 0.9 tackle breaks

Also rumours were BA did make a fairly decent offer to Paulo to re-sign so he probably thinks our side can cover his defensive concerns.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Napa is seriously overrated IMO, just a better version of Darcy Lussick with red hair.

Paulo is the sort of front rower the side lacks, we are stock full of hard working forwards who can cover him in defence but none of them can bend the line like he can. BA had him firing there is no reason he won’t again.

Ricky has turned him into a cheeseburger. He turns all his props into Cheeseburgers.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I do agree our side needs a
Paulo more then a Napa.

Paulo pairing with either Alvaro / Mannah, would probably cover any defensive concerns.

Interestingly napa has a tackle success rate of 90% , Paulo 91%. Mannah is 94% Alvaro 95%

Tackles per game
Paulo 20
Napa 24

Metres per game
Paulo - 143 with 2.6 tackle breaks
Napa - 98 with 0.9 tackle breaks

Also rumours were BA did make a fairly decent offer to Paulo to re-sign so he probably thinks our side can cover his defensive concerns.
Those stats just prove to me even more how overrated Napa is, he also plays in a great pack. Sure he can pull of a big hit but it also proves he doesn’t work that hard in defence or attack.

Bazal

Post Whore
You completely missed the point, we need game breaking props, and we have none. We need at least 2 imo and then Alvaro would be ideal as a bench prop that comes on to provide a steadying influence while our game breakers are off. He is not dynamic enough to be a starting prop but unfortunately he is what we have and superior to Mannah.

I think you're confused.

Dynamic players are better off the bench, a la Edwards. Alvaro, being a tough merkin who tackles his ring off and has a big motor, is better starting.

That's why his best games this year were ones he started in.

Hope that helps

84 Baby

Referee
Where to start...

Spare me the crap.
You cut off my last bit. I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with you. Just surprised you'd have Paulo over Napa

We don't need a tackler, which is essentially what Napa is, we need a bowling ball that can make excellent yardage and a late offload, which is what Paulo is. You know the only tactic that has proven to be the most effective way to beat teams like, you know the Storm.
I'd love to Paulo back because he's ours. He has his deficiencies but he's probably a good fit in our squad. But Napa would also hypothetically be a good acquisition.

At the moment we have tireless workers and defenders that do their jobs to the best of their abilities, but they are all small and fade in and out of game through fatigue. In other words, it explains our inconsistency within games and during the finals series this year.
We have tireless workers that get tired during games?

Besides that tackling palooka, Moeroa, who hasn't learned how to use his body yet in attack, we have no other player of real size in our pack that has the potential to tire out 3 and 4 defenders at a time and then a late offload or quick play the ball. I know we have Kane coming, but we will have to wait and see with that one. Also the last game Moeroa played before he got injured, was his best I thought for great carries with the ball, albeit short lived due to injury. If he comes back and shows that type of consistent go forward, then I would be one of his biggest fans. But we will see.
Finally admittance that maybe perhaps you were wrong about Moeroa. Maybe it's not the only thing you are wrong about?

Back to Paulo v Napa. Horses for courses and we need a Clydesdale to cart the ball up and break up the best defenses without wearing out our smaller forwards like Brown needing to be that. Imaging him and others working off the carnage that Paulo brings and then our playmakers like Moses and Norman getting to play with the type of space that that will provide.
I agree (except the clydesdale analogy is terrible, surely a clydesdale would be your tireless worker?) but I still think you need to realise that with Paulo you're going to lack the same defensive effort. So you wouldn't be able to complain if we leaked more points. You probably still will but.

So please people why would or should we pay between 600k-800k for a current State player that generally only provides great strong defense that we already have and not recruit a home grown wrecking ball that was also the Raiders player of the year mind you, for similar money?

And you guys think you know football...Pa-lease!!!
yeah...

strider

Post Whore
Napa is seriously overrated IMO, just a better version of Darcy Lussick with red hair.

Paulo is the sort of front rower the side lacks, we are stock full of hard working forwards who can cover him in defence but none of them can bend the line like he can. BA had him firing there is no reason he won’t again.

Ricky has turned him into a cheeseburger. He turns all his props into Cheeseburgers.
Cheeseburgers are ok in the right context