What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Discussion

JW

Coach
May as well get it going, hey?

A rough 17 to start things off.

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Opacic
4. Roberts
5. Kahu
6. Milford
7. Nikorima
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Sims
11. Gillett
12. Glenn
13. Bird

14. Thaiday
15. Ofahengaue
16. Pangai
17. ?

Not totally sure how we go with the bench makeup. Wayne could bulk up on forwards or play an outside back like he did on occasion this season. Certainly no obvious utility option to my knowledge now that Kodi will almost certainly be the 7. Either way, it's not looking the worst - Joffa and Pangai should give us enough of impact with our forward rotation. Sammy will be there, so there's little point arguing about it.

Opacic in for Moga is a clear improvement for me and Oates will actually get to see the footy next year.

I'd move Moose back up front with Bird roving around at lock and keep the Glenn/Gillett 2nd row combo.

Not really any other options in the halves. Those two can definitely win us games, but it's obvious that their weak points are the their kicking game and lack of direction. The challenge will be to maintain a good enough standard over the course of a season. They struggled at the back end of this year, but I think having a full pre-season together, no disruptions from the constant positional changes and, most importantly, having Macca back will help them out enough to at least do a decent job. Hopefully they'll surprise us to the upside.

All things considered, I don't mind too much the way our squad is shaping up for next year and am not yet convinced about some of the gloomy predictions. If that team can stay healthy and not have it's depth tested too much in key positions, there's no reason at all why they can't be thereabouts again around the fringe of the 4.

Nerd

Bench
I'd like to swap either Pangai or Ofahengaue for Sims in the front row otherwise agree. Opacic for Moga is a plus as Moga was good for at least two unforced errors a game and really struggled to set up his winger all year. Having both Blair and Moga gone must make us at least a 4-6 point better team each week. Also having Hunt gone I'm hoping will bring Milford out of his shell and back to the form he showed went Hunt was out for 6 weeks injured.

DeeJ

Bench
I really hope we don't have Bird at lock. We already give away a size advantage to most forward packs and he is vastly undersized in that position.

I think Macca will have to have a big year and do alot of kicking, maybe even get into half back/5/8th like Smith does.

DeeJ

Bench
I'm not sure, especially when we were so dominate during the big guy era of Thorn, Webcke, Civinoceva and Tallis.

We need someone taller than 6'3 like Napa, Klemmer, Fifita. Herman was looking the goods, but we couldn't keep him.

I think Napa would be a good prop to to target for any side. But I doubt Uncle Nick & Trent the Flight attendant wouldn't let him go

Also Fifita is a prop who makes a lot of unforced errors. Then we he f**ks up gives away silly penalties. Maybe Bennett could be the man to tame him?

JamesBrandy

Juniors
Also Fifita is a prop who makes a lot of unforced errors. Then we he f**ks up gives away silly penalties. Maybe Bennett could be the man to tame him?

I don't want Fifita anywhere near my team.

I think Kahu is a wasted talent on the wing and would love to see him move into the centres. Mead was solid on the wing filling in this year I thought.

davi

Juniors
I think Napa would be a good prop to to target for any side. But I doubt Uncle Nick & Trent the Flight attendant wouldn't let him go

As mentioned Broncos were interested in Dylan Napa and he chose to remain at the Roosters till the end of 2019. The talk about him has been and gone, time to move on folks.............

Showtime

Juniors
May as well get it going, hey?

A rough 17 to start things off.

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Opacic
4. Roberts
5. Kahu
6. Milford
7. Nikorima
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Sims
11. Gillett
12. Glenn
13. Bird

14. Thaiday
15. Ofahengaue
16. Pangai
17. ?

Not totally sure how we go with the bench makeup. Wayne could bulk up on forwards or play an outside back like he did on occasion this season. Certainly no obvious utility option to my knowledge now that Kodi will almost certainly be the 7. Either way, it's not looking the worst - Joffa and Pangai should give us enough of impact with our forward rotation. Sammy will be there, so there's little point arguing about it.

Opacic in for Moga is a clear improvement for me and Oates will actually get to see the footy next year.

I'd move Moose back up front with Bird roving around at lock and keep the Glenn/Gillett 2nd row combo.

Not really any other options in the halves. Those two can definitely win us games, but it's obvious that their weak points are the their kicking game and lack of direction. The challenge will be to maintain a good enough standard over the course of a season. They struggled at the back end of this year, but I think having a full pre-season together, no disruptions from the constant positional changes and, most importantly, having Macca back will help them out enough to at least do a decent job. Hopefully they'll surprise us to the upside.

All things considered, I don't mind too much the way our squad is shaping up for next year and am not yet convinced about some of the gloomy predictions. If that team can stay healthy and not have it's depth tested too much in key positions, there's no reason at all why they can't be thereabouts again around the fringe of the 4.

I think you're pretty close to the mark and that worries me. I wouldn't mind the backrow with Gillett, Glenn and Bird if we had a front row with decent size. Apart from McGuire there's no one else capable of making big metres. Sims struggled to run for more than 100m each game and is like any others Sims male.... highly overrated.

Comparing us to the storm gf team and next years cowboys, we look pretty ordinary and likely to be blown off the park when the bigger teams get a roll on.

McGuire - Bromwich - McLean
McCullough - Smith - Granville
Sims - McLean - Scott
Gillett - Harris - Lowe
Glenn - Kaufusi - Cooper
Bird - Finucine - Taumalolo

The halves mean we won't win any close games as neither are capable of controlling a match. Both have poor kicking games and are prone to a brain explosion.

Kahu is wasted in the centres and deserves a proper crack.

gUt

Coach
Good posts. I think that team is a top 8 side at best. Like others have pointed out there is a real worrying lack of size up front. We have a decent backline but it's not going to be much good to us if we can't go forward. I don't see our kicking game being any better in general.

If we persist in going left ALL THE f**kING TIME then we may as well trade the Jet for a prop.

Something is off about this squad and I can't put my finger on it. With Bennett coach and Boyd captain, you'd have to imagine training runs and team meetings would be quiet, dull affairs. It's a nitpick and speculation.

Showtime

Juniors
Good posts. I think that team is a top 8 side at best. Like others have pointed out there is a real worrying lack of size up front. We have a decent backline but it's not going to be much good to us if we can't go forward. I don't see our kicking game being any better in general.

If we persist in going left ALL THE f**kING TIME then we may as well trade the Jet for a prop.

Something is off about this squad and I can't put my finger on it. With Bennett coach and Boyd captain, you'd have to imagine training runs and team meetings would be quiet, dull affairs. It's a nitpick and speculation.

Letting Jarrod Wallace go was a royal f up. I'm sure the Broncs will go out of their way to lure Ash Taylor back but we'd have to shed a few players for that to happen.

Bronco18

Juniors
Starting forwards size is a real concern, I wouldn’t be surprised if Bird started on an edge and moved to lock in the second half so our middle looks a bit more beefy.

Coming through though we have some real talent in the front row - Haas and his u20s captain Carrigan both were the Holden Cup starting props of the year. Haas only turns 18 in December (this year) I believe but his build may still put him in contention for a bench spot come origin time. Patrick Mago and the Englishman Sevalio create a bit of healthy competition for bench spots, Bennett shouldn’t be afraid to wield the axe on Sims if he doesn’t step up IMO.

We’ve also secured Lodge who you’d assume must show something to bother with after what he did :/ .

Bronco18

Juniors
I’m still looking forward to a few things next year...

A) We chopped and changed our team, in KEY positions so much this season. Hunt in and out of reggies, Milf with his shoulder injury, Boyd with his hammy injury and and Origin, Macca with his knee injury...

Our attack was very disorganised at the end of the year but with a offseason training together they should show huge improvement.

B ) Bird as a ball playing lock? Surely he doesn’t play centre on the money he’s on. While size is a concern with our forwards already, it’s very interesting to see Bennett buck the trend of playing another stock prop at lock. Very interested to see what’s planned here.

C) Competition in the forwards. It’s time for some of our bench forwards to establish themselves. For mine, Offa starts over Sims. Before Sims got injured he was getting close to him for minutes on the field regardless. While our starting pack is otherwise small, our bench rotation should be as strong as any in the completion by seasons end.

ouryear

Juniors
Letting Jarrod Wallace go was a royal f up. I'm sure the Broncs will go out of their way to lure Ash Taylor back but we'd have to shed a few players for that to happen.
Yeah right....shed players?
Doesn't everyone play for free under uncle wayne?

Nerd

Bench
Yeah right....shed players?
Doesn't everyone play for free under uncle wayne?
Brisbane lost Ese Ese and Moga to Newcastle and Hunt to St George for next year but hell why let the facts get in the way of your uneducated and incorrect comment.

ouryear

Juniors
Brisbane lost Ese Ese and Moga to Newcastle and Hunt to St George for next year but hell why let the facts get in the way of your uneducated and incorrect comment.

It's ok....in wayne we trust.
It's only the Storm and roosters we have it in for.

Donkeys are ok, especially since the last flag was way back in 2006 ....we sort of feel sorry for guys, one team town and all that.

And ever since Tallis retired he has had that petty feud with Creeping.....who we like FAR better than Tallis.

Last edited:

Nerd

Bench
It's ok....in wayne we trust.
It's only the Storm and roosters we have it in for.

Donkeys are ok, especially since the last flag was way back in 2006 ....we sort of feel sorry for guys, one team town and all that.

And ever since Tallis retired he has had that petty feud with Creeping.....who we like FAR better than Tallis.
Just who is this "we" you speak of?

Latest posts