What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joel Thompson Announcement

ouryear

Juniors
Some questions

Are we going after a high profile forward?

Do you think we are trying to strengthen our front row?

Do you think we are looking at a high profile back?

In your opinion are there players recruitment have specifically targeted or are we waiting for unspecified players becoming available due to salary cap issues?

Saints have a plan....apparently....so said the mole ....or some other under cover private investigator last week!

Could there be?

Frank Facer

First Grade
I am fine with Thompson going. Hopefully it opens the door for either Host or Leilua to take his spot and be better than Thomo by 2019. Hopefully it frees up some salary cap space to possibly sign Walmsly or RCG.

qld redvee

Juniors
Just got word back that the T's are getting crossed and the I's are getting dotted on Thompos deal with another club.
Announcement to be made before the end of next week, it wont be dragging out any longer then that.
Very reliable source and he is 100% certain Thomos departure is a done deal.
Before the end of next week it will be announced.
Mr Dragon
thommo is a great workhorse and good 80 minute player What Id like to know if your source knows - is what brought the move on has thommo trodden on someones toes or something and suddenly got offside with coach ?? i would like to see host get the reserve forward spot if JT goes

ouryear

Juniors
Mr Dragon
thommo is a great workhorse and good 80 minute player What Id like to know if your source knows - is what brought the move on has thommo trodden on someones toes or something and suddenly got offside with coach ?? i would like to see host get the reserve forward spot if JT goes
I think we are after a bigger gun than thommo......that's why he is going.
A ball playing forward.

TruSaint

Referee
I think we are after a bigger gun than thommo......that's why he is going.
A ball playing forward.

Bigger gun than Thommo in what terms?

If anything, we have depth in this position, so it will be an avenue for Host / Leilua and co.
Any other signing prior to seasons start should be a fast back, as we are well covered in the forwards and halves.

Cant see us signing any prominent high profile back rower.. Just my opinion.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I also like Sims, both he and Thommo have a bit of aggression which we need. But if you look at the stats Thommo scored 9 tries, Sims 3 and every other stat including tackle breaks was pretty similar. Sims did play closer to the middle a lot and I think playing solely as a secondrower he will score more tries. At the end of the day I see them as being very similar.

Agree....... Sims needs to now step up and be a 80 minute player, every week.

ouryear

Juniors
Bigger gun than Thommo in what terms?

If anything, we have depth in this position, so it will be an avenue for Host / Leilua and co.
Any other signing prior to seasons start should be a fast back, as we are well covered in the forwards and halves.

Cant see us signing any prominent high profile back rower.. Just my opinion.

Losing packer and thommo....replaced by Graham.

We need one more to stay even...even then the forwards couldn't maintain it after the first 10 weeks in 2017.

Watching the younger guys at the ground for 20 weeks, I think they are still 12 months away. They really just don't get the work ethic required.

We need a gun forward, someone who can ball play as well. Not just hit it up.

But yes....We need a fast exciting outside back as well.

Carlton

Juniors
If Thommo goes (been moved on) is true.
I would like to see our forward pack with the addition of someone like Walmsley or RCG and Host/Leilua to be given a good shot at secondrow.
I have been critical of Widdop but I am willing to see how the Hunt/Widdop combo works next year.
Nighty replaced by a Korobiete type winger and a young centre like Lomax on the right.
Aitken playing a utility role and McInnes to be encouraged to run more.
I am not convinced about Dufty, in my opinion he needs to put on some size and play tougher. These days in first grade its not enough to just be elusive, you have to be able to also muscle up as well.

nrlnrl

First Grade
I think he will retire.
Whats your view
I agree. He has quite a few off-field options - I think a combo of media (most likely staying with Fox League), some sort of coaching role, and/or corporate related. I think the premiership win is an ideal way to finish & the prospect of playing against Storm is just something that wouldn't seem right.

As for Joel Thompson, think he's gone mostly because he's after the security of a multi-year deal in the latter stages of his career. There are a number of existing options at the Dragons to fill his starting spot.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I agree. He has quite a few off-field options - I think a combo of media (most likely staying with Fox League), some sort of coaching role, and/or corporate related. I think the premiership win is an ideal way to finish & the prospect of playing against Storm is just something that wouldn't seem right.

As for Joel Thompson, think he's gone mostly because he's after the security of a multi-year deal in the latter stages of his career. There are a number of existing options at the Dragons to fill his starting spot.

Thanks.
I agree re replacement.
Thanks for the heads up mate