What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How did you become a Dragon's supporter?

ingles

Juniors
Played my first game of league for Guildford as a 5 year old in 1960 - in the mud and rain at Woodward Park in Liverpool.
That afternoon sat with my dad and listened to the old Philips "wireless" and Balmain ( my parents' team ) were playing the mighty St George Dragons .
Dragons won ....I jumped on the bandwagon and have followed them through thick and thin ever since .
My early years were playing footy Saturday morning and on to the train to go to the SCG for the Saturday Match of the Day ... which was pretty much a home game every week .
GREAT days !!!!!

jak

Bench
Played my first game of league for Guildford as a 5 year old in 1960 - in the mud and rain at Woodward Park in Liverpool.
That afternoon sat with my dad and listened to the old Philips "wireless" and Balmain ( my parents' team ) were playing the mighty St George Dragons .
Dragons won ....I jumped on the bandwagon and have followed them through thick and thin ever since .
My early years were playing footy Saturday morning and on to the train to go to the SCG for the Saturday Match of the Day ... which was pretty much a home game every week .
GREAT days !!!!!
was it a crystal radio.

denis preston

First Grade
Spent most of my late 70’s in and around Sans Souci. Played for the local soccer team during that time down at Chuter Ave ( l think ).

Des Pollard is my cousin.
We had a Pollard at the school for over 90 years! ( Father came from a family of 11 )

Great post rasaint.
OKB is he related to Bruce Pollard ? Bruce was only 21 when he played in the 66 Grand Final but never kicked on.Rumors were he just got fat ?

denis preston

First Grade
Laughed my head off when I read your post. Classic line sorry Mr whoever you are I'm a bit short this week.
Our entire section of the street could go silent for the very same reason.
Can you remember when people had pianos on time payment and when TV came out and was available on the the tick the poor old pianos which hadn't even been paid for were thrown out on the footpaths?
Encyclopaedia Britannica almost cocked it up for us as they were very active in promoting education as opposed to TV.
Thank god dad had common sense and went for the cheap American Encyclopaedia Compton's and got a TV as well. It provided a great education Tom & Jerry, Bonanza, The Honeymooner's, Hancock's Half Hour all classics
They talk about eBay and all that shit today, well almost anything was available back then and a real person actually called to your house to sell it and credit was readily available.
Waltons, Buckingham's, Beberfald's, Retra Vision all darlings of the housing commission estates.

OT I remember when you had to pay a TV license annually.Inspectors used to come to the door to check if you paid. My dad put the aerial within the roof so you couldn't see it !

ALSGI

Bench
Great stories guys.

Grew up in a few places around Carlton and living in Jubilee Ave for a few years started school as a 4yo at Carlton South (accross the road from KJO). Went to James Cook afterwards. Dad was a mad Saints fan and I used to sit on his shoulders at KJO, some teachers played various grades for Saints and their kids went to school with me. I remember when the Queen visited James Cook High in 70, I was waving a Saints flag as she drove past.
Converted my wife from Newtown Jets and my kids were born at St George Hospital so it’s in the DNA now.

Lived all over Australia since, and it’s amazing how many Dragons fans live far and wide especially in the bush. Met a couple on top of Uluru both wearing Dragons jumpers!
Met a guy in Greenwich London in a Dragons jumper, another couple in Dubai with a caps on, and I met some tragics in Paris becuase I was wearing my jumper. Small world really.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Grew up in Barossa Valley, Dad was a winemaker for Penfolds. When we moved to Sydney Penfolds was the major sponsor so I naturally became a Dragons supporter. I still remember 1985 Grand Final in the corporate sponsor box. We won the under 20s, won the Reserves and then lost the big one 7-6. I still hate the dogs to this day.

Ok, now we can piece together your background and your forum name.... Crush ..... very good.

The 1985 grand final?
Yes, l was at the George’s River Sailing Club from opening time till, well, after the final siren.

I too remember the sign, one down, two to go!
Two down, one to go and then ... ouch!
Can still remember it as if it was yesterday, crazy to think it was 32 years ago.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I was in 2nd class in 1979. We were living in Earlwood and I was going to Undercliff Public school. I had never seen a game of footy
Great stories guys.

Grew up in a few places around Carlton and living in Jubilee Ave for a few years started school as a 4yo at Carlton South (accross the road from KJO). Went to James Cook afterwards. Dad was a mad Saints fan and I used to sit on his shoulders at KJO, some teachers played various grades for Saints and their kids went to school with me. I remember when the Queen visited James Cook High in 70, I was waving a Saints flag as she drove past.
Converted my wife from Newtown Jets and my kids were born at St George Hospital so it’s in the DNA now.

Lived all over Australia since, and it’s amazing how many Dragons fans live far and wide especially in the bush. Met a couple on top of Uluru both wearing Dragons jumpers!
Met a guy in Greenwich London in a Dragons jumper, another couple in Dubai with a caps on, and I met some tragics in Paris becuase I was wearing my jumper. Small world really.

I wore a Saints jersey to Derby Day at Randwick one year. I reckon I got received comments, than the hottest girls at the races that day, because of my Saints jersey.

jak

Bench
I was in 2nd class in 1979. We were living in Earlwood and I was going to Undercliff Public school. I had never seen a game of footy

I wore a Saints jersey to Derby Day at Randwick one year. I reckon I got received comments, than the hottest girls at the races that day, because of my Saints jersey.
did you your dad go home broke.

OLD FART DRAGON

Juniors
I started when my neighbour played half Denny o,brien I was in awe, early sixties, used to watch all 3 games , with a few mates my dad and brother, was a friend of Bruce Starkey, and max Cole and Russell Cox, Brian woods , don't go much now as living on the central coast love kogarah, my daughter and I were part of the crowd on the ground when we moved to get rid of the traitar Geoffrey Carr , born and bred in carlton

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Great stories guys.

Love it ALSGI
I was at dallas cowboys game a few years ago.
They were playing the redskins.
And two rows in front of me was a guy wearing 2010 premiership tee shirt.
I asked him how he got he said he was from hurstville and always followed the dragons.
Small world indeed