What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Cup embarrassment

Joel-22

Juniors
Something needs to be done about the ridiculous mismatches. It's not a good look for the game and does nothing to promote it. 74-6, 52-6, 50-6, 58-12 etc.
They need to do something like change the eligibility criteria and encourage players to play for other countries. They could also enter an Indigenous Australian side - that would be another side capable of keeping within 18 points of Australia.
It's gotten to the point that I don't even support the kangaroos, I just support whoever is playing against them.
Anyone agree or feel similarly?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Something needs to be done about the ridiculous mismatches. It's not a good look for the game and does nothing to promote it. 74-6, 52-6, 50-6, 58-12 etc.
They need to do something like change the eligibility criteria and encourage players to play for other countries. They could also enter an Indigenous Australian side - that would be another side capable of keeping within 18 points of Australia.
It's gotten to the point that I don't even support the kangaroos, I just support whoever is playing against them.

No I don't agree, there isn't a sporting World Cup contest that doesn't have blow outs. Why do you think RL can or should somehow be different?

Do you think nz'ers don't follow the all blacks because they are so good or Americans don't support USA in basketball? RL,fans are a weird bunch!

Joel-22

Juniors
I dunno, I just wish it was actually competitive. There's nothing exciting about watching Australia trot out their c grade side to flog other countries.
I mean, that's what makes the NRL exciting - virtually anyone can win

Perth Red

Post Whore
Pool games with blow out. Scores in the ruwc15. And remember it's harder to score tries in union and poorer teams can keep scores close through negative play and kicking penalties

Wales 54-Uruguay 9
Australia 65- Uruguay 3
Fiji 47- Uruguay 15
England 60- Uruguay 3
Scotland 45- Japan 10
Sth Africa 64 - USA 0
Nz 58 - Namibia 14
Agentina 54 - Georgia 9
Nz 43 - Georgia 10
Argentina 45- Tonga 16
Nz 48- Tonga 9
Argentina 64 - Namibia 19
Ireland 50 - Canada 7
Ireland 44- Romania 10
France 41- Canada 18

QF's
Nz 62-France 13
Argentina 43-Ireland 20

Perth Red

Post Whore
I dunno, I just wish it was actually competitive. There's nothing exciting about watching Australia trot out their c grade side to flog other countries.
I mean, that's what makes the NRL exciting - virtually anyone can win

In the ideal world yes, but in the real world it doesn't happen that way in a World Cup where you have minnows drawn against world superpowers

Despite the score and the sht crowd still enjoyed watching the game and seeing France put in and score a great try, moral victory not to get nilled lol

jim_57

Staff member
The difference between the top team and bottom team is much the same as 2013 and 2008, I think the main difference this world cup is that Tonga, Samoa, Fiji & PNG have stepped it up a level so you will get more floggings even amongst the "tier 2s". That and France, Wales & Scotland all came missing a good handful of first teamers which is a write off with such shit depth.

IMO the real test of competitiveness will come in the quarters, I imagine we will see a closer final series than ever before even if it is Australia, NZ, England + 1 in the semis and Australia V NZ/England final.

langpark

First Grade
Nothing embarrassing about it at all. It's the group stage, this inevitably happens in almost every sport in the early stages, get over it people!

I think it's the whole salary cap in NRL has blurred people's vision into thinking every match MUST go down to the wire or else something is wrong.

the beavers

Juniors
Pool games with blow out. Scores in the ruwc15. And remember it's harder to score tries in union and poorer teams can keep scores close through negative play and kicking penalties

Wales 54-Uruguay 9
Australia 65- Uruguay 3
Fiji 47- Uruguay 15
England 60- Uruguay 3
Scotland 45- Japan 10
Sth Africa 64 - USA 0
Nz 58 - Namibia 14
Agentina 54 - Georgia 9
Nz 43 - Georgia 10
Argentina 45- Tonga 16
Nz 48- Tonga 9
Argentina 64 - Namibia 19
Ireland 50 - Canada 7
Ireland 44- Romania 10
France 41- Canada 18

QF's
Nz 62-France 13
Argentina 43-Ireland 20

In 2013 ruwc Argentina won a quarter final.... in the 2 world cups prior they were on the end of some floggings.
Who's to say a country like Lebanon won't do similar. These world cups are part of their development .

kiwileaguefan

Juniors

Yet in League we stop the clock every chance they can...i.e. when lining up conversations etc.

If the referee hadn't stop the clock for every conversion for last nights France vs Aussie game i honestly believe the game would have finished 42-6

Springs09

Juniors
Yet in League we stop the clock every chance they can...i.e. when lining up conversations etc.

If the referee hadn't stop the clock for every conversion for last nights France vs Aussie game i honestly believe the game would have finished 42-6

The refereeing has been strange. I don't understand the clock being stopped so often, but also why the 50/50 calls are going to the big teams. Negative wrestling crap including grapple tackles have not been penalised either.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Nah, its good for the minnow nations to compete with the Big 3 is good and needed...

If you isolate the big 3, it stops being a World Cup and becomes a Tri-Series with a side-show. And when do you stop the isolation?? Lebonon did great tonight keeping up with England and the likes of PNG/Tonga/Fiji could even give the Aussies a scare.

The problem with international RL isnt the blowouts, its the top teams. The Aussies can smash anyone. What we NEED is a group of 3/4 who are hard to separate. Knowing the Aussies already have it won is what makes the comps boring...

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The solution is to stop having elite teams only playing other elite teams all the time and only having minnows playing only against minnows.

Pommy

Coach
They need to do something like change the eligibility criteria and encourage players to play for other countries.

How much broader do you want them to be? You can play for your grandparents nation and you can play for a country you have held residence in for a substantial amount of time.
Any loser and you’re playing club footy.

StadiumXIII

Juniors
Only nations should feature in a World Cup. I think the draw had a lot to do with it, but either way it wouldn't have made much difference outside of Aus, NZ, Eng except of course the odd Pacific side mightn't be too far off shocking the Kiwis or England, long way to catch up to Australia though. I always barrack the other way as well. I doubt even making the WC final would leave much of an impact in that particular country, with none if any local based players included in the starting 17. Our best bet at getting more competitive nations is in the Pacific. Looks like the 2000 World Cup tbh and that was a disaster. I don't know if we're in a position to recover another setback like that. The world's changed a lot since then.