What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Brutus

Referee
I smell AFL intrusion here if Allianz is completed first.Tony Shepherd on the SCG Trust and GWS Chairman would benefit if ANZ delayed,Why? So the fumblers can utilise the shebang still in oval mode for 2018/9/20 for semis etc.I would not trust him/them any more than I trust the honesty of Kim Jon Un.
These Jonny Come Lately mob have Govts by the short and curlies ,and i don;t mean haircuts.
Yep spot on.

ANZ needs to be done first or the floggballers will get their way.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...r/news-story/dfa89dac86928d94ade2aa901caf62fe

ANDREW CLENNELL

Sydney’s two biggest sporting stadiums will be knocked down and rebuilt within the next four years as part of Premier Gladys Berejiklian’s $1.8 billion plan to transform the city’s sporting landscape and end the two-year-long stadium wars.

Sydney’s Allianz Stadium will be demolished next year and rebuilt by 2019 and ANZ Stadium knocked down in 2019 and reconfigured by 2021, under an ambitious timeline being pushed by Sports Minister Stuart Ayres that is said to have the backing of Ms Berejiklian.

Under the plan, Allianz, at inner-city Moore Park, would have a capacity of 45,000, and ANZ, at Olympic Park, a capacity of 75,000 — down from 85,000 — but it would be redesigned as a rectangular stadium.

The plan is aimed at raising Sydney’s stadiums to the quality of those recently built in Adelaide and Perth, and the facilities at the Melbourne Cricket Ground and the city’s Docklands.

But the plan, which could be put to cabinet as early as this week, has caused internal consternation, with Treasurer Dominic Perrottet and Deputy Premier John Barilaro arguing as to why the government should be spending more than $2bn on stadiums when it, like other governments, is under pressure to act on the cost of living.

The government has already spent $300 million building a new Parramatta Stadium in the city’s west.

Infrastructure Minister Andrew Constance is also said to favour rebuilding ANZ only.

The plan is understood to involve some State of Origin matches heading interstate while construction takes place. But Sydney would retain hosting rights for the NRL grand final, with Allianz to fill the gap while ANZ is being rebuilt.

The stadiums war has split the football codes with clubs using Allianz, including the popular Sydney FC, and the Australian Rugby Union, pushing hard for an Allianz rebuild and the NRL pushing for ANZ to be built first.

The NRL has set up meetings with ministers in a frantic last-minute bid to get the ANZ proposal up first.

Such has been the force of the NRL campaign that the code’s chief executive, Todd Greenberg, has met ministers not involved in the proposals to urge them to push in cabinet for an ANZ rebuild first.

“I am writing in relation to the NSW Government’s commitment to upgrade Sydney’s stadiums network,” Mr Greenberg has written to ministers.

“Whilst I know this issue does not fall within your portfolio responsibilities, I understand the important matter will be discussed in the coming month at cabinet.”

The letter points out the announcement in April last year by former premier Mike Baird that was “publicly supported by the NRL” involved a permanent rectangular configuration of ANZ at more than 70,000 seats with construction to start before March 2019 and “the refurbishment of the existing Allianz Stadium — with works to commence after the redevelopment of ANZ Stadium is completed, and in any event not before March 2019”.

But Mr Ayres, who is close to several people on the Sydney Cricket Ground Trust that runs Allianz Stadium, is understood to have won the Premier’s support on the need to get moving on Allianz.

Mr Ayres had always favoured an Allianz rebuild first but was slammed last year after he tried to slide past Mr Baird a plan not to build on the Allianz site, but on a nearby site at Moore Park, a move that would have been controversial, particularly in light of flak the Baird government received for ripping out century-old trees for its CBD light rail project.

My take on this is just more hot air. Keeping the scg trusts plan in the media cycle makes their idea the norm. It’s good to see Greenberg approaching other ministers for support. What seems strange is the articles in the media just accept that the Nrl are happy with a Allianz rebuild.

The MOU that was agreed with Baird was that ANZ would get rebuilt first and into a world class stadium. Then Allianz refurbed to suit scg trust. And if that was done nsw would get 20yrs of Nrl gfs. The Nrl shouldn’t give a hoot what happens to Allianz. It’s not there problem it’s the scg trust and the nsw gov. If the nsw gov doesn’t build ANZ first they better come to the party in a lot of other ways. $$$$$$.

Any deviation from the MOU needs to be met with disgust from the Nrl. Greenberg needs to keep to his guns and let the premier know where he stands. And be ready to move the gf interstate if the nsw gov tries to call the bluff. Maybe have a press conference announcing a qld gf, the day the Stadium decision is announced. The media attention alone would shock the nsw gov and make enough controversy to rattle the gov. The public aren’t silly enough to accept that. It wouldn’t pass the pub test.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The plan is understood to involve some State of Origin matches heading interstate while construction takes place. But Sydney would retain hosting rights for the NRL grand final, with Allianz to fill the gap while ANZ is being rebuilt.

Thats the GOVERNMENTS plan. I hope the NRL tell em to get rooted...

Such has been the force of the NRL campaign that the code’s chief executive, Todd Greenberg, has met ministers not involved in the proposals to urge them to push in cabinet for an ANZ rebuild first.

Good to see Todd knows how to lobby.

That’s a really interesting tid bit.

If he was confident the premier & sports minister were on the NRL’s side I’m not sure he’d do that. Typically I think it would be unusual for the cabinet to reject a proposal that was supported by both the leader & relevant minister.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
That’s a really interesting tid bit.

If he was confident the premier & sports minister were on the NRL’s side I’m not sure he’d do that. Typically I think it would be unusual for the cabinet to reject a proposal that was supported by both the leader & relevant minister.

Im not so sure...

He is appealing to their sence of self-preservation ("piss of the NRL and West Sydney in one move and youre pissing off a lot of voters") so its hardly i complicated pitch.

And it is strategic to secure that support even if you think you have the leader on side; we know how quickly Gladys can backflip, so its a smart move to block that path before she is even tempted.

Youre right that it is unusual to have the cabinet go against the potfolio minister, but when cabinet ministers are contradicting the "plan" to the media, it isnt a usual situation. I think the cabinet would be smart enough to see Aryes working for the SCG Trust vested interests rather than the voters interests (and that the voters will likely make them pay for that)

Raiderdave

First Grade

if anz being built first means we have to have GF's in Sydney at Allianz while its being redone
then so be it
small price to pay
Tickets would be gone in about 4.5 minutes tho : (

Raiderdave

First Grade
the saber rattling from the NRL , & the suggestion the minister is in cahoots with the SCG trust will be enough to see homebush get done first.
Gladys won't let personal affiliation jeopardise the city & states biggest annual event.
She aint stupid, she will know if Ayres gets his way , while the new Allianz is nearing completion on the long weekend in October 2019
The NRL's 2 grand finalists will be running out onto Suncorp Stadium , while ANZ is sitting empty & not being used. Wow
wouldn't that give labor some ammo

Im not so sure...

He is appealing to their sence of self-preservation ("piss of the NRL and West Sydney in one move and youre pissing off a lot of voters") so its hardly i complicated pitch.

And it is strategic to secure that support even if you think you have the leader on side; we know how quickly Gladys can backflip, so its a smart move to block that path before she is even tempted.

Youre right that it is unusual to have the cabinet go against the potfolio minister, but when cabinet ministers are contradicting the "plan" to the media, it isnt a usual situation. I think the cabinet would be smart enough to see Aryes working for the SCG Trust vested interests rather than the voters interests (and that the voters will likely make them pay for that)

What is even dafter is Ayres is the member for Penrith. I'd like to know how he'll sell it to his constituents that doing the SFS first is a "win" for them. I mean he is sitting on a 6% margin, and Penrith has a history of often voting Labor.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
if anz being built first means we have to have GF's in Sydney at Allianz while its being redone
then so be it
small price to pay
Tickets would be gone in about 4.5 minutes tho : (

Thats not the offer though. THey want to do SFS first, then play the GF there while they do ANZ...

Regardless of what happens with the stadiums, the NRL needs to send the GF out of Sydnye in 2019. Either ANZ is being redone, and sydney doesnt have a suitable stadium available or SFS is being done, in which case the NRL has been screwed over an cannot just accept that.

The only variable in this should be when the GF returns the Sydney; if ANZ is done first, we get it back in 2 years. If SFS is done first, we wait 5 years until ANZ is dont.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Thats not the offer though. THey want to do SFS first, then play the GF there while they do ANZ...

Regardless of what happens with the stadiums, the NRL needs to send the GF out of Sydnye in 2019. Either ANZ is being redone, and sydney doesnt have a suitable stadium available or SFS is being done, in which case the NRL has been screwed over an cannot just accept that.

The only variable in this should be when the GF returns the Sydney; if ANZ is done first, we get it back in 2 years. If SFS is done first, we wait 5 years until ANZ is dont.

It might be the offer though
The NSW govt says if you want anz done first , then we'll do it provided the 2019 & 2020 GFs remain in Sydney @ allianz.
Then Allianz's redo begins in 2021

If this is the deal
Let's do it

Latest posts