What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How did you become a Dragon's supporter?

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Is you or you better half the shoes and tight pants lol

If my memory serves correct, we had matching attire! ( so to speak )
It was a real bugger trying to walk up all those steps at the front of the leagues club.
Everytime l tried to take big steps, the old Jatz Crackers would be impounded then released from prison, if you know what l mean.
By the time l got to the top of the stairs, I needed a couple of Shirley Temples just to settle the nerves!

Coffs dragon

Bench
Better throw 'Drakon' into the mix as well.
Thats at least three of us who met our wives at the Dragons club ........... (and still married!)
Any more out there?
I didn't meet my ex Mrs at the Club, but she was a Blakehurst girl whom supported the Dragons. We started going out after the 77 GF victory and after about a year she kept hounding "When are we getting engaged & married" My standard reply was...."When the Dragons win the next Grand final" I thought I was safe based on statistics and didn't realise they'd win again in 79.
We married in 1980 a man of my word!!!!! Then there was the famous 31 year premiership draught. If only we met in 79 LOL!!

Emu01

Juniors
It was the 1977 grand final and I was 6 years of age. I grew up in Lugarno in the st George district.

Our neighbors father was the ground announcer at Jubilee oval and were mad Dragons fans still are.Anyway every kid in the street had to chose a team on grand final day and everyone took St George except the exchange student from America from next door he chose the Eels.

We painted huge posters of Dragons players and had a game of footy out the front of the houses on the road.( lived in a quite street).

It was a 9-9 draw but saints flogged the Eels 22- 0 the next week and I was absolutely hooked on the Dragons ever since.. I still get goosebumps when I drive past Jubilee Oval to this day.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
This thread is better than counselling. My ex-wife was an Eastern Suburbs supporter. I should have known better but was blinded by the fact that her parents owned a bottle shop.

Wow, regardless of looks, l too would have fallen for her. Was it a big shop?

I used to work after school at Kelly’s bottle shop in Kogarah. ( mid seventies ) They were known for being the cheapest around town.
The number of pallet loads of beer coming in each day was amazing. We kept loading them in but they went out just as fast.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
I was born a Dragons supporter and began watching them play in 1957 when my grandfather - who was a made Dragons supporter - used to sit me on his knee at the SCG or at home to watch them play. It was easy to follow them because I loved my grandad and loved his passion for the Dragons. As I grew older through the 60s, following the Dragons was easy because they were the undisputable CHAMPIONS OF THE WORLD!! From that time on I couldn't ever follow another club.

Drakon

Juniors

I used to work after school at Kelly’s bottle shop in Kogarah. ( mid seventies ) They were known for being the cheapest around town.
The number of pallet loads of beer coming in each day was amazing. We kept loading them in but they went out just as fast.
I used to be involved in a catering business in the 80's and we bought a lot through Kelly's. It was a shame when it closed. I liked Chris Kelly.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors

No it was a small bottlo in Dulwich Hill. Only went there once. They got rid of it not long after I married. Their nephew managed it, and when it closed he went on to run the Southern Cross hotel at St Peter's. Which still remains the least-inviting pub I have ever been into.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
No it was a small bottlo in Dulwich Hill. Only went there once. They got rid of it not long after I married. Their nephew managed it, and when it closed he went on to run the Southern Cross hotel at St Peter's. Which still remains the least-inviting pub I have ever been into.

Well mate, you certainly had grounds for divorce.
Cutting out the sex once the ring is on is common practice but getting rid of the bottlo just after you were married is pure evil.

PS - ( Hope I haven't spoken out of line ) ......... just having a laugh with you, not at you.

nontime111

Juniors
Im from Bundaberg QLD and was 8 when I started playing Under 9s... I was obsessed with League as my grandad was a Brothers Club Legend there so started avidly reading RLW.... then one day asked my Mum If she could buy me a jersey of a NSWRL team as they used to have the old adds for jerseys in there then but there were 3 or 4 tiers of prices for each jersey as some were pretty basic and others with more colours more expensive, we were pretty working class so Mum said Ok you can have one, but you can only choose from the cheapest ones....which included Saints, Tigers and Magpies...I scratched my head a minute and thought....well I dont think a Magpie or a Tiger could ever defeat a DRAGON! so went for St George avidly after that all season yeah 1977!! Baths Babes! and then they DID IT!! and beat Parramatta in that epic game ( them both) so became FANATICAL ever since

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Im from Bundaberg QLD and was 8 when I started playing Under 9s... I was obsessed with League as my grandad was a Brothers Club Legend there so started avidly reading RLW.... then one day asked my Mum If she could buy me a jersey of a NSWRL team as they used to have the old adds for jerseys in there then but there were 3 or 4 tiers of prices for each jersey as some were pretty basic and others with more colours more expensive, we were pretty working class so Mum said Ok you can have one, but you can only choose from the cheapest ones....which included Saints, Tigers and Magpies...I scratched my head a minute and thought....well I dont think a Magpie or a Tiger could ever defeat a DRAGON! so went for St George avidly after that all season yeah 1977!! Baths Babes! and then they DID IT!! and beat Parramatta in that epic game ( them both) so became FANATICAL ever since

Great post, mate.
Lived in Bundy for 3 months in 94.
Bargara was a beautiful spot. Nothing much there at the time, not like now.
A developer had subdivided land right on the Coast for only 23k but no one in Bundy would buy it. Took years to sell but eventually interstaters bought it all up.
Now it costs squillions to but there.

Latest posts