What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lomax Eyes Centre Spot

BennyV

Referee
I say start with Lomax as one centre and if it doesn't work, then we can think of Aikten and Mann. If it does work, then Lomax will be the best centre at our club. If we start with Aikten and get off to a good start, then chances are that Lomax won't be given the opportunity next year.
Why would we go with the 'see how it goes' approach when there is a more solid way of bringing him through and ensuring he does make it?

If we start him now and he doesn't excel, he could well be confined to the scrapheap. He hasn't played a game against men yet, if there's an opportunity to bring him through properly (games on the wing at the back end of the year) then we re better off doing that.

Drakon

Juniors
No I definitely do not think I know anything more than the next person.

Everyone has a right to voice their opinion.

Which is exactly what Dino did by writing we need speed and more speed.

In turn for his opinion, Dino was called a F##k wit and brainless, and many more names.

So yes, Dino gave his opinion which has since been proven to be 100% correct.

People did not just disagree, they abused him.

Too many modern day self righteous goody too shoes I am afraid.

And yes, my opinion is our immigration policy is fuc**d.

60% of my mates are born overseas, certainly not a racist.

However, we got to mix it up a lot more.

We can't become the United Arab Emirates satellite state.

White supremists? Hate them.

Rational policies and a good mix of people.

Love them.

Got it?

Now back to Dino.... Yes, we need more fu**ing speed!!!
Just asking.....if you joined on September 28th this year but speak of the way Dino posted years ago, what was your previous incarnation user name?

Frank Facer

First Grade
Why would we go with the 'see how it goes' approach when there is a more solid way of bringing him through and ensuring he does make it?

If we start him now and he doesn't excel, he could well be confined to the scrapheap. He hasn't played a game against men yet, if there's an opportunity to bring him through properly (games on the wing at the back end of the year) then we re better off doing that.
I would start with Lomax and see how he goes, because I believe that he will go well next year, if given the opportunity. I also believe that he will be a better option than Mann or Aikten next year too.

As I previously said, there have been many good examples of teenage backs playing first grade and going extremely well. Lomax will make it, there is no chance of him ending up on the scrapheap.

ouryear

Juniors
Just asking.....if you joined on September 28th this year but speak of the way Dino posted years ago, what was your previous incarnation user name?
I read everything for a few years, but too busy with work to get on and comment.
Plus I couldn't be bothered to debate stuff with SOME intolerant know_alls on the site.
On leave now, got some time on my hands.

My opinions are similar to most on this site.
SACK MARY.
SACK DOUST.
SACK THE BOARD.
GO OUT AND GET 3RD PARTY SPONSORS.
ENCOURAGE AND GIVE OUR JUNIORS A GO.
FIND AND PICK SOME SPEED IN THE BACKLINE..... Thank You Dino!

Other things I would like to see happen that many on this Forum will name call me for are:

MOVE WIDDOP ON IF HE CONTINUES TO UNDER PERFORM THIS YEAR, NOW HUNT IS HERE, NO MORE EXCUSES.

REGARDLESS, TAKE THE CAPTAINCY OFF WIDDOP, GIVE IT TO SOMEONE WHO LEADS WITH PASSION AND TOUGHNESS, AND A PERSON WHO KNOWS HOW TO WIN.

MOVE ON OVERPAID UNDERPEFORMING PLAYERS, BE RUTHLESS.
A. NENE GONE.
B. NIGHTY.... LOVE HIM.... BUT ITS TIME.
C. LAFAI.... GONE.
D. PUT AITKEN ON NOTICE.

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
I would start with Lomax and see how he goes, because I believe that he will go well next year, if given the opportunity. I also believe that he will be a better option than Mann or Aikten next year too.

As I previously said, there have been many good examples of teenage backs playing first grade and going extremely well. Lomax will make it, there is no chance of him ending up on the scrapheap.
There's also plenty of examples of teenage backs who've jumped in early and had their careers destroyed, be it through a blow to confidence, injury or not excelling in the first place to be put on the scrap heap.

I dont think Mann should be an option at right centre. He's a left side player and should be first choice winger/first drop fullback, but in reality he'll sit on the bench most of the game. I also think it's time for Aitken to show some development - there's no excuses next year with Hunt inside him, if he's not being the destructive busting centre he should be then he should be shifted to reggies to practice being a second rower.

Personally, I'd be putting Pat Herbert in front of Lomax for a centre spot and I'd be tempted to start him there in Round 1. He's very talented with a footballers brain, ballskills and great agility and strength. I'd also put Garrick above Lomax for a wing spot in case of injury - that is, Mann and Nene to start on the wings and Garrick to be the first called upon to cover injury.

All that being said - if Lomax gets a shot, I hope he isn't overawed and lives up to the potential, because in reality he is the most likely to be a superstar.

By the end of 2018 I expect McDonald and Flo will be gone so Garrick/Herbert & Lomax will get their chance to play NRL soon enough.

The real question for me is how will Euan Aitken pull up after his surgery.

If he doesn't get back on the field and perform well within the first 4-6 weeks of the start of the season, one of Mann,Herbert, or Garrick may overtake him in the pecking order.

Benny V is right in saying Mann is a natural left sided player, however if Mary drops McDonald, Flo could return to his favoured wing thus allowing Mann to play on his favoured side.

Lomax will get his chance and like Garrick has the build to play first grade at wing or centre.

Its going to be a very interesting pre-season for the backline. Heaps of competition.

Hopeful Mary will open his eyes and pick the players who are performing best rather than sticking to the incumbent.

watatank

Coach
Lomax really seems like a player that should have a long career in first grade. He has the size, athleticism and versatility to make it.

Happy to have players compete for backline spots for now. At this stage, we have options for the short term but long term doesn't seem clear at this stage. Lafai is probably the only player that will be in the backline for a while. Interested to see what happens anyway

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Mary needs to take of his rose colored glasses so he can see what everybody else ca n .a slow back is not going to cut it you need speed, speed, and even more speed ,if your going to make it to the pointy end of the season .MARY, MARY, MARY.time to wake up .

Old Timer

Coach
By the end of 2018 I expect McDonald and Flo will be gone so Garrick/Herbert & Lomax will get their chance to play NRL soon enough.

The real question for me is how will Euan Aitken pull up after his surgery.

If he doesn't get back on the field and perform well within the first 4-6 weeks of the start of the season, one of Mann,Herbert, or Garrick may overtake him in the pecking order.

Benny V is right in saying Mann is a natural left sided player, however if Mary drops McDonald, Flo could return to his favoured wing thus allowing Mann to play on his favoured side.

Lomax will get his chance and like Garrick has the build to play first grade at wing or centre.

Its going to be a very interesting pre-season for the backline. Heaps of competition.

Hopeful Mary will open his eyes and pick the players who are performing best rather than sticking to the incumbent.
There is absolutely no form line to show that Mc Fookknuckle will do anything else other than run with the incumbents.
He will continue to pick players where he thinks they should be rather than where they play best.
There will be all the usual chest beating that all positions are up for grabs and that trial form will count and that will be swept away immediately after the CS.
Just on the trials, again we will pick to big a squad pick squad that are way too big and players that should be really considered for 1st grade will get their usual 5 - 7 minutes of game time with fairly ineffectual combinations on the paddock with them.
I will be interested to see if we do "boot camp" again this year as it was supposedly ground breaking for us last year and was reported early on as a major contributing factor to our early season success.
If it was so key last year I am a little surprised that there has been no mention of it thus far for 2018.
Last but not least whilst other clubs clean out the dead wood from their 1st grade squads we continue to hang onto people that obviously underperformed and whilst other clubs find ways to fit in top notch quality players we find ways to strengthen our reggies team with depth signings.

st shaneoh

Juniors
I read everything for a few years, but too busy with work to get on and comment.
Plus I couldn't be bothered to debate stuff with SOME intolerant know_alls on the site.
On leave now, got some time on my hands.

My opinions are similar to most on this site.
SACK MARY.
SACK DOUST.
SACK THE BOARD.
GO OUT AND GET 3RD PARTY SPONSORS.
ENCOURAGE AND GIVE OUR JUNIORS A GO.
FIND AND PICK SOME SPEED IN THE BACKLINE..... Thank You Dino!

Other things I would like to see happen that many on this Forum will name call me for are:

MOVE WIDDOP ON IF HE CONTINUES TO UNDER PERFORM THIS YEAR, NOW HUNT IS HERE, NO MORE EXCUSES.

REGARDLESS, TAKE THE CAPTAINCY OFF WIDDOP, GIVE IT TO SOMEONE WHO LEADS WITH PASSION AND TOUGHNESS, AND A PERSON WHO KNOWS HOW TO WIN.

MOVE ON OVERPAID UNDERPEFORMING PLAYERS, BE RUTHLESS.
A. NENE GONE.
B. NIGHTY.... LOVE HIM.... BUT ITS TIME.
C. LAFAI.... GONE.
D. PUT AITKEN ON NOTICE.
Widdop under performed ? The man would have probably won't the Dally M if he didn't get injured.

ouryear

Juniors
Widdop under performed ? The man would have probably won't the Dally M if he didn't get injured.

What?
I am glad for you mate that you are pleased with him.

You do realise Aaron Woods won prop of the year..... So woods is the best prop is he?!

Widdop is about the 10th ranked number 6, if that.

Please don't quote Dally M unless you agree Woods is our premier prop.

LOL

st shaneoh

Juniors
What?
I am glad for you mate that you are pleased with him.

You do realise Aaron Woods won prop of the year..... So woods is the best prop is he?!

Widdop is about the 10th ranked number 6, if that.

Please don't quote Dally M unless you agree Woods is our premier prop.

LOL
Who cares about Woods. Aren't we talking about Gareth Widdop?

FlameThrower

Bench
Lomax really seems like a player that should have a long career in first grade. He has the size, athleticism and versatility to make it.

Happy to have players compete for backline spots for now. At this stage, we have options for the short term but long term doesn't seem clear at this stage. Lafai is probably the only player that will be in the backline for a while. Interested to see what happens anyway
Hope to see him make play for FG. Many on here rate him highly - so let's see how he goes.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Lomax will make his debut next year without a shadow of a doubt.

The article specifically states how thankful Zac was about the club choosing not to buy another centre to replace the departing players. In fact looks like he's next in line if Aitken/Lafai/Mann get injured.
He will play NSW Cup full-time and judging by Aitken's history of injuries, we'll see him play FG in 2018.