What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL CLUBS V RLIF

Christopher Pearce
South Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson has called on Rugby League International Federation bosses Nigel Wood and David Collier to address a meeting of NRL clubs before the end of the World Cup and explain their plans for the sport.

Richardson was responding to reports in Monday's Herald about the emergence of a FIFA-style window on the third weekend of June next year, when NRL and Super League players could theoretically disperse and represent their countries as soccer stars have for many years.

Advertisement
He said to his knowledge clubs and the Rugby League Players Association were not opposed to such a situation – but they expected to be consulted.

"The RLIF has never addressed the clubs on anything, they just make these arbitrary announcements in the paper," said Richardson, also team manager of the Kiwis.

RELATED ARTICLE

Kangaroos props cleared by match review
"Despite how this is being portrayed, my own experience is that clubs do support representative football, they do support the expansion of the sport. Just look at the number of NRL players in this tournament.

"Just look at State of Origin. Just look at the stand-alone Origin and rep weekend next year.

"I'm convinced that if they went through the matches they want to play, when, where, how and why with us, they would get a sympathetic hearing and we'd get a good outcome for the game.

LEAGUE HQ NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and updates emailed straight to your inbox.

By submitting your email you are agreeing to Fairfax Media'sterms and conditions and privacy policy.

"But if you're not going to pay us the common courtesy of telling us what's going on, you are going to run into a little bit of trouble because, yes, we do pay the players."

While it could be argued the RLIF's responsibility is to countries, not clubs and players' unions, the situation is unique in rugby league as two competitions and one players union provide all the high-profile stars to international matches.

The RLPA was unsuccessful in being granted an audience with the international body when it met in Sydney this month.

"I'd like David and Nigel to come and see us before they return to the UK," Richardson said. "Tell us what's planned and why. We never hear from them. The clubs are not the bad guys here."

The sport is still grappling with its international calendar over the coming years. In theory, New Zealand are going to Europe next spring, Great Britain are reforming to tour Australia in 2019 and there is also a Nines World Cup at that time.

But while you can already buy tickets to matches in the rugby union World Cup in Japan in 2019, most rugby league-playing countries don't know where and when their next match is after the current tournament.

In other news, the Australian side arrived in Darwin for their quarter-final against Samoa at TIO Stadium on Friday night.

Back-rower Matt Gillett said he supported calls for a parity of payments across the international game, although there is nothing new regarding how this might be achieved.

"We're all out there doing the same thing, there's no reason for that not to happen," he said. "Everyone deserves the same. We're all out there putting our bodies on the line for our country."

Earlier in the day, David Klemmer and Aaron Woods were cleared over a spear tackle.

"I think they were a bit nervous," Gillett said. "It's only a short tournament and any suspension would have put doubt in their minds."

RELATED ARTICLES

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...international-federation-20171113-gzki6u.html

Diesel

Coach
Sounds like RL, ideas floating about but no communication.

The article hits the nail on the head but if we can get a June window for international RL, starting with one week, expanding over time then it’s a good thing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I doubt they know what is going to happen and unless the nrl sanction it will not happen anyway. Probably an idea leaked over a beer that someone in media has jumped on.

I'm sure the clubs will do all they can to sabotage it anyway as it's not in their interests.

Pedge1971

First Grade
I doubt they know what is going to happen and unless the nrl sanction it will not happen anyway. Probably an idea leaked over a beer that someone in media has jumped on.

I'm sure the clubs will do all they can to sabotage it anyway as it's not in their interests.

Really? Both Grant and Greenberg sit on the board and are responsible for NRL scheduling. The NRL grant funded by tv rights revenue is the majority of most clubs revenue stream.

If they get the RLPA the tv rights owners on board (i.e. the players who judging by this WC seem very on board with moreof this and tv that is rating off its head) why could this not happen?

Clubs can only sabotage if the RLIF and the NRL are not synched up, or there is no real tv revenue stream..

The NRL are that thick. The tv guys arent.....

Danish

Referee
Whenever I hear NRL clubs going on about how "they" pay the players, they just sound like some naive little kid talking about how they bought a toy with their "own" money, after saving up the allowance that their parents give them each week.

We indulge kids when they say such nonsense because it is showing a bit of initiative to save and an understanding of delayed gratification, but when a bunch of adults do it they just sound stupid.

POPEYE

Coach
While ever we have the Golden Boot vs Reality nothing rational is going to happen in the world of RL

Richardson wanted the RLIF job and didn't get it.

So factor that in.

The clubs pay the players with money they are given for filling tv slots. Given the WC has been getting ratings equivalent to the NRL or better I'd say we can slot international teams in and NRL clubs out and the game will get the same money and then it won't be the clubs paying the players.

siv

First Grade
Anyway we are back to clubs v country debate

This is what killed off International RL in the 1980s/1990s

T-Boon

Coach
The best thing for RL would be an 8 team NZ competition including a Sydney team (Sydney Bears) and a Melbourne team (Melbourne Jets?). Sell it to Fox and seven or ten.

Strip the NRL of some of its power.

Pedge1971

First Grade
The best thing for RL would be an 8 team NZ competition including a Sydney team (Sydney Bears) and a Melbourne team (Melbourne Jets?). Sell it to Fox and seven or ten.

Strip the NRL of some of its power.

I know. Lets start a breakaway league. We'll call it Super League, it will have all the best players, it will become the game they play and watch in China. What could possibly go wrong?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ha ha

RLIF only needs to deal with the chairman of the ARLC

Clubs have no say

After their whinging to the ARLC which won them seats and yet more opportunity to influence for their own benefits, they clearly now feel they should be running the RLIF as well!

T-Boon

Coach
I know. Lets start a breakaway league. We'll call it Super League, it will have all the best players, it will become the game they play and watch in China. What could possibly go wrong?

What - every attempt to start a new RL competition in the world gets called super league now does it?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Richardson wanted the RLIF job and didn't get it.

So factor that in.

The clubs pay the players with money they are given for filling tv slots. Given the WC has been getting ratings equivalent to the NRL or better I'd say we can slot international teams in and NRL clubs out and the game will get the same money and then it won't be the clubs paying the players.

Rep footy is where the ARLC should be pushing...

They strip clubs of huge power and cause some problems for the players in salary negotiations. And, if a rep team throws a tantrum, they can be replaced without much issue.

The following was published by the Sydney Morning Herald -

November 14 2017 - 8:23PM

NRL clubs to be given observer status by International Federation
by Steve Mascord

NRL clubs who are about to be represented on the Australian Rugby League Commission for the first time may also be invited to sit as observers on the International Federation, RLIF chief executive David Collier has revealed.

In a response to comments by South Sydney general manager of football Shane Richardson in Tuesday's Herald that the RLIF never tells Australasian clubs what's going on, Collier said allowing them to sit in on meetings would be considered under constitutional changes currently being examined.

Such a development could be seen as an indication of a more ambitious and aggressive international governing body as the game looks to capitalise on progress made at the World Cup.

"I don't think anyone has a problem with the things Shane is saying," Collier told Fairfax Media upon his return to London – making him unable to take up Richardson's invitation to address clubs in person.

"We do have to be careful as an international governing body to observe protocol. We can't go and talk to clubs in one country without being invited to do so by that country's federation, which in this case would be the NRL and the ARLC.

"But there's no reason they would not want us to do so.

"One thing we are looking at in our constitutional review is observer status and that could be a really good way to involve the NRL clubs. It would allow them to see what's going on, as it happens.

"It may be that we invite them to be observers."

The NRL clubs would be able to sit in on RLIF meetings and be copied in on correspondence, although they would never graduate to full member status as Australia and New Zealand are already represented.

They would also be able to hold discussions with the RLIF leadership and member countries outside the meeting room and better get their perspective across on issues that affect them.

Collier did not see a similar involvement for the players union, which he said was a domestic body that had to be communicated with through the ARLC.

Things are now moving quickly as international competition becomes a big part of the overall rugby league landscape, with Tonga's win over New Zealand looking increasingly like a symbol of rapid growth.

The World Club Challenge was formally revived on Tuesday when Leeds chief executive and his Melbourne counterpart Dave Donaghy held a media conference at AAMI Park, which will be the venue for the clash on February 16.

In other news, it has been confirmed New Zealand players will be paid by the NRL at the same rate as Australian players at this World Cup. The tournament kicked off without the Kiwis pay arrangements being bedded down.

But Richardson, who is also the Kiwis campaign manager, said the RLPA and NZRL would negotiate a separate award for internationals when the World Cup concluded.

Michael Morgan has held onto the Australian five-eighth spot for Friday night's first quarter-final against Samoa at TIO Stadium, with coach Mal Meninga opting for four bench forwards.

Te Maire Martin replaces Kodi Nikorima at six for New Zealand, who play Fiji at AMI Stadium Wellington on Saturday night.

Papua New Guinea star Garry Lo watched training in a moon boot on Tuesday but remains hopeful of playing against England in the fourth quarter-final at AAMI Park. England, as expected, have Sam Burgess back.

And Top End prodigal son Will Chambers did not seem to hold out much hope of Australian states outside NSW and Queensland staging interstate football with professional players any time soon.

Australia centre Chambers spoke wistfully of his youth in Nhulunbuy at a media opportunity opposite government house in Darwin on Tuesday but when asked if more could be done for the sport's developing states, he said NSW-Queensland would always be king.

"We had Mahe Fonua and Young Tonumaipea come through the Victorian system and play at the Storm," said Chambers.

"It's so good they are coming from outside Queensland, NSW and Canberra. James McManus played for NSW and he was from Darwin.

"If there was an Affiliated States [team] at some stage ... I know Mal ]Meninga] was talking about a Junior Roos thing ... I know as a younger kid, you make the Affiliated States and you get to play against Queensland Country and NSW Country.

"It would be good one day. But at the end of the day, State of Origin is always going to be the pinnacle with Australian rugby league. Playing for Australia, playing Origin, are always kids' dreams."

POPEYE

Coach
A strong world RL would do NRL clubs no favours, the best players will still come from Australia in the foreseeable future. The last thing NRL clubs with management surviving on short term performance will want is their top players being poached more than they are now

It would be nice if IRL was the 'pinnacle' over Origin/NRL, if more youngsters all over the world desired League over other codes . . . it's a shame RL is such a hard game to play when apps are much easier

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
So, the RLPA is a domestic body that falls under the juristiction of the ARLC....... but the NRL clubs are not domestic bodies that fall under the same juristiction....... confused.

I am concerned that the clubs are looking at the growing pot of money being made as each world cup is played (should be $10m this time up from $5 - 7m last world cup) and looking at how they can be 'compensated' for the use of 'their' players.

siv

First Grade
So, the RLPA is a domestic body that falls under the juristiction of the ARLC....... but the NRL clubs are not domestic bodies that fall under the same juristiction....... confused.

I am concerned that the clubs are looking at the growing pot of money being made as each world cup is played (should be $10m this time up from $5 - 7m last world cup) and looking at how they can be 'compensated' for the use of 'their' players.

They are trying to not allow it to grow

As TV rights money would be diverted from the clubs to running internationals

If you pay each player on par with SOO ie $30k

It costs $1,020k to pay players

So that means per game must generate $3.5 mil as per RLPA guidelines

But if TV only pays $250k per game

29% means players only get $2,100

Latest posts