What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths 2018 Squad

Rsag85

Bench
Depth is ok but the signings are not making the main 17 better. If you think about only one signing Gagai that can work into the side no problem out of team that finish 12th and was smashed by the team that won the comp. One player isn’t going to fix our problems

southsport

First Grade
Depth is ok but the signings are not making the main 17 better. If you think about only one signing Gagai that can work into the side no problem out of team that finish 12th and was smashed by the team that won the comp. One player isn’t going to fix our problems

Not overnight but I'm optimistic beyond 2018.

callmack1

Staff member
I know that Souths aren't going to win the comp but my expectations are realistic and optimistic.
Same.

According to some he has put on more weight now at 115kg
Source bro? Do you think that's a good thing or a bad thing? I think it's bad.

But tbh, I think he's more around 102kg. The player profiles have recently been updated (apart from pictures) and he's listed as 102kg.

Rsag85

Bench
Same.

Source bro? Do you think that's a good thing or a bad thing? I think it's bad.

But tbh, I think he's more around 102kg. The player profiles have recently been updated (apart from pictures) and he's listed as 102kg.

Profiles on the website are not really updated they do that next year when they finalise the main squad.

People who have watched training say he is bigger in size

Rsag85

Bench
For me it's not about where we finish but about being more competitive in more games.

It’s ok mate don’t answer the question. But I will I think we will start off strong but then do nothing I’m picking bottom of the table again maybe the wooden spoon

burgibigbash

Juniors
It’s ok mate don’t answer the question. But I will I think we will start off strong but then do nothing I’m picking bottom of the table again maybe the wooden spoon
Where do you think the squad is weak?

I know we haven't been great but I would have thought there were a lot more positives than negatives this year heading into next year.
Honestly if we finish bottom 4, I will be extremely disappointed. We seem to have a nice strong forward rotation with a bit of depth.
In the backs we have GI, AJ, Gagai, and Jennings who are all potent attacking players and 4 or 5 young blokes who have played first grade and a couple of 19 year olds challenging for the other spot. I personally think our depth and quality in the backs is better than the year we won the comp.
If the Burgi get their mojo back and the young backrowers lift their game to another level again, then we are in really good shape.
If the halves fire we will win more games than we lose which in this day and age gets you into the finals.
There are a lot of what ifs in there and things need to come together for finals footy and maybe a top 4 , but players like Reynolds, GI, AJ, the Burgi, Sutto, Turner, Clark , Sam Farah, have all won premierships and know what it takes to win big games. Gagai is a big game player. I'm impressed with the young support that has been assembled around these senior players and really do have a great feeling about next season.
Melbourne aside I wasn't overly impressed with the rest of the top 8 this year to be perfectly honest. I sense we are closer than a lot of people think.

Rsag85

Bench

I know we haven't been great but I would have thought there were a lot more positives than negatives this year heading into next year.
Honestly if we finish bottom 4, I will be extremely disappointed. We seem to have a nice strong forward rotation with a bit of depth.
In the backs we have GI, AJ, Gagai, and Jennings who are all potent attacking players and 4 or 5 young blokes who have played first grade and a couple of 19 year olds challenging for the other spot. I personally think our depth and quality in the backs is better than the year we won the comp.
If the Burgi get their mojo back and the young backrowers lift their game to another level again, then we are in really good shape.
If the halves fire we will win more games than we lose which in this day and age gets you into the finals.
There are a lot of what ifs in there and things need to come together for finals footy and maybe a top 4 , but players like Reynolds, GI, AJ, the Burgi, Sutto, Turner, Clark , Sam Farah, have all won premierships and know what it takes to win big games. Gagai is a big game player. I'm impressed with the young support that has been assembled around these senior players and really do have a great feeling about next season.
Melbourne aside I wasn't overly impressed with the rest of the top 8 this year to be perfectly honest. I sense we are closer than a lot of people think.

Do I think the squad is weaker? No I believe it’s basically the same but other clubs have made the squads stronger like the Knights and Tigers for examples.

callmack1

Staff member

As you say there are a lot of 'if's' in there but I agree. IF the senior player perform and the young guys continue to improve, we're in great shape. Whether it actually will happen is another story and we'll just have to wait and see.

I just seriously that luck finally turns to our side in terms of injuries.

Latest posts