What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos to sign Matt Lodge

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Broncos' cap questioned after Lodge rejects huge Newcastle offer for peanuts

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rug...-peanuts/ar-BBETGZO?li=AA54yd&ocid=spartandhp

Something smells fishy with the Broncos salary cap after controversial prop Matt Lodge rejected a monster deal with Newcastle to stay at Red Hill, according to journalist Phil Rothfield.

Lodge divided opinion last week when Brisbane handed him an NRL lifeline with a reported $85,000 one-year deal as Wayne Bennett plans to use him as his starting prop next season.

The former Tiger admitted he was close to calling it quits after accumulating a massive amount of debt from his lawsuit where he was forced to cough up $1.6 million in damages for assaulting a New York couple.

The hefty bill is the reason why Rothfield can't understand why Lodge wouldn't opt for a lucrative three-year $1.5 million contract with the cash-loaded Knights.

Brown reportedly looked into the services of the out-of-favour front-rower after an impressive year with Brisbane's feeder in the Redcliffe Dolphins, but Lodge chose to repay the favour to the Broncos for giving him a second chance.

But, it's a huge sacrifice that has put question marks on the Queensland powerhouse's salary cap expenditure.

‘’Now I don’t know what’s happening with the Broncos salary cap and they go and sign him for $100,000,'' Rothfield told Fox Sports' NRL 360.

‘’I’m told he knocked back $400, $500 and $500 (thousand over three years).

‘’You haven’t worked for two years, so he’s taken as you’ve said $85,000, and I’m telling you Newcastle offered him $1.5 (million).

‘’I’m not saying there’s a rort but there’s something sus about it, how a kid who hasn’t earned money for so long, has stayed at the Broncos so cheap.’’

Panellist Andrew Webster butted in with some reasoning for Lodge's lower-paying choice.

‘’Power of one – he wants to go and play for Wayne Bennett,’’ he said.

If Lodge was so troubled by his inability to pay off his debts, the idea of moving to Newcastle could have both solved his financial issues and satisfied his desire to play first-grade football.

‘’Theoretically, $1.5 (million) he nearly pays his debt in New York after three years. He at least gets half of it done if he’s sensible,’’ NRL 360 co-host Paul Kent said.
There is so much wrong with that article.

So Lodge wants to stay at Red Hill? He hasn't even got there yet, having played all his NRL career at West Tigers for a big fat 12 games.

So Lodge is on the minimum of $85000 a year? I suppose that might free up some money so Bennett can pay off his New York debt quicker.

Or keep some bail money aside when Lodge and Jimmy the Jet go on a rampage together at the Normanby after the Donkeys' first Friday night game in Round 1 in 2018.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Or keep some bail money aside when Lodge and Jimmy the Jet go on a rampage together at the Normanby after the Donkeys' first Friday night game in Round 1 in 2018.
Oh shit.....my bad. Donkeys play the Dragons at Jubilee on the Thursday night as the 2018 season opener.

Change the Normanby to the Carlton Pub on the corner of Jubilee Avenue and Railway Parade.

If it still exists......

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
There is so much wrong with that article.

So Lodge wants to stay at Red Hill? He hasn't even got there yet, having played all his NRL career at West Tigers for a big fat 12 games.

So Lodge is on the minimum of $85000 a year? I suppose that might free up some money so Bennett can pay off his New York debt quicker.

Oops, too bad that match will be played at Jubilee.....

Bloke

Juniors
The escapades you speak of happen at every single club you idiot. You are aware gilly played for the Broncos yeah?
Yeah, but when it impacts a young, naïve young girl who was a close family friend it becomes personal. And yeah, I know Gilly's playing history as he was one of my favourite players back in the day, along with Geno. Him going to the Crushers and then replacing Mario Fenech as captain made it an easy decision to jump on board.

Last edited:

RazorRam0n

Juniors
the TPA system is completely f**ked when a volatile player can turn down 1.5M for 100k + chance "to earn more later."

seriously who the f**k does that? not even fitzdarius would be that dumb.

fans are sick of the lack of transparency with tpa deals, especially when they know they're being taken by the nrl for fools.

Spade

Juniors
its actually a shame he is a piece of shit because if he stayed on path he'd be one of the games best by now, his a bloody fine player.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Yeah, but when it impacts a young, naïve young girl who was a close family friend it becomes personal. And yeah, I know Gilly's playing history as he was one of my favourite players back in the day, along with Geno. Him going to the Crushers and then replacing Mario Fenech as captain made it an easy decision to jump on board.

Right so if it's a family friend it's disgraceful. Any other girl though is all good yeah?

Cult03

Juniors
the TPA system is completely f**ked when a volatile player can turn down 1.5M for 100k + chance "to earn more later."

seriously who the f**k does that? not even fitzdarius would be that dumb.

fans are sick of the lack of transparency with tpa deals, especially when they know they're being taken by the nrl for fools.
That reasoning only works if you think it's the only reason he's staying in Brisbane, which it isn't. Bennett and the Broncos have been meeting with him and working on his mental state and well being for a year now. I know in this day and age it's impossible to understand loyalty but he obviously wants to show some to those who looked after him when he was down.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
That reasoning only works if you think it's the only reason he's staying in Brisbane, which it isn't. Bennett and the Broncos have been meeting with him and working on his mental state and well being for a year now. I know in this day and age it's impossible to understand loyalty but he obviously wants to show some to those who looked after him when he was down.

You can make up any crap you want... The difference is 1.4m and the bloke is broke...

Dribbling bs to justify that is delusion at its finest

some11

Referee
vNHDmI9.jpg
The number of comps the Broncos actually have.

blaza88z

Coach
I would just like to take this opportunity to congratulate Matt Lodge for joining the most successful club in the NRL, whilst other teams like the Roosters and the Buydogs are doing whatever possible (which is not limited to blatantly cheating the cap), we are giving blokes a fair go.

Well done Matt.

Reactions: gUt

First Grade
lol @ these guys having loyalty to those that look after them when they are down. Look what the Knights did for Packer when he hadn't even played one game for them, then when he was released from Jail his loyalty took him to a bigger paypacket at the dragons. These guys don't do loyalty they do money.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
It's certainly a questionable decision to turn down 1.4mill for 85k when one owes 1.6mill.

why can no-one do math here? It's 1.4mil over 3 years compared to roughly 100K for 1 year. Perhaps the Broncos might offer him an extension of 1mil over the next 2 years if he performs well. Then he will have a comparable deal over 3 years and not be collecting a bunch of wooden spoons. Plus he has a better chance of making rep teams if he plays for the Broncos, collecting more $$.

This is assuming that Rothfield is even accurate.....

Life's Good

Coach
why can no-one do math here? It's 1.4mil over 3 years compared to roughly 100K for 1 year. Perhaps the Broncos might offer him an extension of 1mil over the next 2 years if he performs well. Then he will have a comparable deal over 3 years and not be collecting a bunch of wooden spoons. Plus he has a better chance of making rep teams if he plays for the Broncos, collecting more $$.

Well Rothfield has never let the truth get in the way of dirt dishing.

RazorRam0n

Juniors

Because unless it's guaranteed money it mean jack shit

some11

Referee

They let a Broncos fan be a staff member here?

Jesus the corruption has its tentacles everywhere!