What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths 2018 Squad

burgibigbash

Juniors
As you say there are a lot of 'if's' in there but I agree. IF the senior player perform and the young guys continue to improve, we're in great shape. Whether it actually will happen is another story and we'll just have to wait and see.

I just seriously that luck finally turns to our side in terms of injuries.
Well they say everything has to come together regarding injuries and form and getting you're run of form right to win a premiership mate.
I know exactly what you mean. A lot has to do with attitude and desire particularly in defence.

burgibigbash

Juniors
Do I think the squad is weaker? No I believe it’s basically the same but other clubs have made the squads stronger like the Knights and Tigers for examples.
Yeah that's a fair point mate. I personally think we are stronger purely through the rise of the youngsters. I think we have signed a gem in Gagai as well. While Goodwin was a wholehearted player he's not in the same class as Gagai. Gray spends the bulk of the time on the sidelines with injury so I think we improve there.

On some other clubs I'm interested to see what sort of impact Cronk will have at the Roosters and how his loss affects the Storm.
The Storm have lost some real quality in Harris, who I rate as the best secondrower in the game ,McLean who is one of the best wrestlers in the business and of course the great Cronk.
Maloney is the perfect signing for Penrith IMO and I will be interested to see how that plays out.
The Titans are near certainties for the spoon I reckon. West have lost their three best players and grabbed some good players but no real champion players and the knights have spent some big money on some solid firstgraders and a kings ransom for Ponga. I can't see either of these sides making the 8 and I'll be filthy if either finish higher than us.

Travitoh

First Grade
Seibold could prove to be as important as any signing we could've made. We were stale under Madge and needed the change. I expect to see a return to form from some players and apart from hooker and centre, feel we are at least as good as the majority of the comp.
The past two seasons we should've been eyeing off the top 8 in August and i expect the same in 2018 as a minimum. It's on Seibold to get them there.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Reading some where that Jennings is weighing in at 115kgs
That's concerning if true....

That'd show his hunger is not there....

I think you might be on the money have just looked at the player gallery'.......

Everyone pretty much in here is talking him up and yet the commitment doesn't seem to be there... I am not surprised...

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2017/11/14/gallery_preseason_we.af_news.html

You are on the money or close to Rsag with image 15 and 50....

Well picked up mate.....

Our coaching staff should rip the f**k into him.....

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
Where do you think the squad is weak?

I know we haven't been great but I would have thought there were a lot more positives than negatives this year heading into next year.
Honestly if we finish bottom 4, I will be extremely disappointed. We seem to have a nice strong forward rotation with a bit of depth.
In the backs we have GI, AJ, Gagai, and Jennings who are all potent attacking players and 4 or 5 young blokes who have played first grade and a couple of 19 year olds challenging for the other spot. I personally think our depth and quality in the backs is better than the year we won the comp.
If the Burgi get their mojo back and the young backrowers lift their game to another level again, then we are in really good shape.
If the halves fire we will win more games than we lose which in this day and age gets you into the finals.
There are a lot of what ifs in there and things need to come together for finals footy and maybe a top 4 , but players like Reynolds, GI, AJ, the Burgi, Sutto, Turner, Clark , Sam Farah, have all won premierships and know what it takes to win big games. Gagai is a big game player. I'm impressed with the young support that has been assembled around these senior players and really do have a great feeling about next season.
Melbourne aside I wasn't overly impressed with the rest of the top 8 this year to be perfectly honest. I sense we are closer than a lot of people think.
Jennings is fat currently.......

Stop living in a bubble......

There are far too many it's and only a few of them will probably come together....

Inbetween that other issues can arise.....

rabbitohs95

Bench

I think you might be on the money have just looked at the player gallery'.......

Everyone pretty much in here is talking him up and yet the commitment doesn't seem to be there... I am not surprised...

Well picked up mate.....

There are far too many it's and only a few of them will probably come together....

You're joking right? In what way does that pic show Jennings not having commitment or being overweight?

Thadius

Juniors
If Hunt or Talakai are anywhere within a sniff of the Souths backline, expect to finish closer to last than first in 2018 - both are dreadful.

southsport

First Grade
Seibold could prove to be as important as any signing we could've made. We were stale under Madge and needed the change. I expect to see a return to form from some players and apart from hooker and centre, feel we are at least as good as the majority of the comp.
The past two seasons we should've been eyeing off the top 8 in August and i expect the same in 2018 as a minimum. It's on Seibold to get them there.

"Stale under Madge" could be a bit of an understatement Trav, I thought some of the players actually looked depressed under Madge.

burgibigbash

Juniors
The players look in great condition and the trainer Devlin has said as much saying every player has come back in really good condition.

He has singled out George for praise which is a great sign.

I noticed Clark running alongside young Rodwell in one of the photos. there is no better mentor in the club IMO than Clark. I hope the talk of him going to England is just a rumour because I want Clark around our young blokes as they start their NRL careers. A great clubman and a wholehearted competitor that punches above his weight.

Jennings doesn't look anywhere near 115kgs. He's a big boy no doubt , but Hunt looks bigger than him.

Campbell Graham looks the goods. He has the eye of the tiger and the body of a giraffe. He's the young bloke that will really kick on I reckon.

Tracey looks very fit and looks to be running unhindered and out in front of the pack.

Big Johnston looks up to speed.

Burns looks a bit fuller in the face . I don't know if that's the natural ageing process or he's bulked up a bit. I like Burns and it would be good to see how he goes in the centres rather than the wing. He was a prolific tryscorer playing centre for Penrith 20s.

The squad will look even stronger when Tom, Sam, GI, Farah, Musgrove Gagai and Doueihi come back to training.
I'm super excited.

burgibigbash

Juniors
Me neither, it's only November plenty of training to come.

I think Talakai's days of playing centre are over, his future is in the forwards.
I'm a massive wrap on Talakai and I think he ill be in our top 19 and possibly a bench forward. Personally I have him in the 17 , but I think Tony will go a different way.

The competition for spots in the pack should ensure everyone is on their game.

Scoopdog

Juniors

Well picked up mate.....

He weighed 114 at the first training session,is already down to 109.can gain or lose weight quickly.

burgibigbash

Juniors

Mate I've got faith in the lads to come up with the goods. There will be 15 other clubs just as hungry to go out and chase the same thing.

I have no doubt in my mind that we have the talent in the squad side and the depth to play finals footy. I also believe that if we have a good run with injury and keep our top side intact we have the team to challenge for the top 4. Absolutely no doubt in my mind.

The new coach will bring a freshness that was probably needed. If the boys want it badly enough they have the talent to achieve it.

Rabbits20

Immortal
You're joking right? In what way does that pic show Jennings not having commitment or being overweight?
Well to me eyes he looks like he's put on about 10kg......

Looks like there is a tummy there compared to all other players.....

Just how I see it....

Rabbits20

Immortal
The players look in great condition and the trainer Devlin has said as much saying every player has come back in really good condition.

He has singled out George for praise which is a great sign.

I noticed Clark running alongside young Rodwell in one of the photos. there is no better mentor in the club IMO than Clark. I hope the talk of him going to England is just a rumour because I want Clark around our young blokes as they start their NRL careers. A great clubman and a wholehearted competitor that punches above his weight.

Jennings doesn't look anywhere near 115kgs. He's a big boy no doubt , but Hunt looks bigger than him.

Campbell Graham looks the goods. He has the eye of the tiger and the body of a giraffe. He's the young bloke that will really kick on I reckon.

Tracey looks very fit and looks to be running unhindered and out in front of the pack.

Big Johnston looks up to speed.

Burns looks a bit fuller in the face . I don't know if that's the natural ageing process or he's bulked up a bit. I like Burns and it would be good to see how he goes in the centres rather than the wing. He was a prolific tryscorer playing centre for Penrith 20s.

The squad will look even stronger when Tom, Sam, GI, Farah, Musgrove Gagai and Doueihi come back to training.
I'm super excited.
Hymel looks slim compared to Jennings.....

Rabbits20

Immortal
He weighed 114 at the first training session,is already down to 109.can gain or lose weight quickly.
Thanks mate so my eyes weren't deceiving me.....

He did put on those 12kgs and still has 7kg to lose......

Should me more responsible than that......

rabbitohs95

Bench
Well to me eyes he looks like he's put on about 10kg......

Looks like there is a tummy there compared to all other players.....

Just how I see it....
I think it's just the way his singlet is positioned in that shot. I haven't looked at other pics though, but from the one you mentioned before you can't really tell.

Plus if there's one part of the season where players are overweight it's now.

Itsamansgame

Juniors
Give the guy a break fellas,he's probably been kicking back enjoying some family feasts watching the Tongan side running around.
Plenty of time to fit into his Bears guernsey!

Latest posts