What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Could you be any more of a Marvel fanboi Fred? I'm astounded anyone would want to deathride any movie like you appear to be doing

The article you posted has left off a great number of facts, simply to try and support a "DC V Marvel" falicy. The proof will be in the pudding com Nov 15

RockWheel

Bench
DC v Marvel is the dumbest shit in the world. people don't care who produces a movie, they just want to see a good movie. batman v superman gets criticised because it's a dumb piece of shit not because of some conspiracy against dc properties. the dark knight is still considered on the best superhero movies ever.

marvel tends to make solid to good movies, of late warner bros keeps dropping the ball. i mean if reviews for justice league are negative i'll probably give it a pass; i was scorched by BvS so there's no way i'm spending money on another shitty dour boring movie.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
DC v Marvel is the dumbest shit in the world. people don't care who produces a movie, they just want to see a good movie. batman v superman gets criticised because it's a dumb piece of shit not because of some conspiracy against dc properties. the dark knight is still considered on the best superhero movies ever.

marvel tends to make solid to good movies, of late warner bros keeps dropping the ball. i mean if reviews for justice league are negative i'll probably give it a pass; i was scorched by BvS so there's no way i'm spending money on another shitty dour boring movie.
Unfortunately plenty do seem to care who makes it mate, just have a quick look at the internet to confirm. Idiots ripping on WW despite it being an all round success being a prime example.

You're correct though, the whole us v them shit is stupid. It seems enjoying all comic movies of all types is uncool

Reactions: PJ

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Oh and FYI @Frederick , the screenings have been for independent critics too. Collider and IGN for example

http://m.au.ign.com/articles/2017/11/10/justice-league-first-reactions-twitter-roundup

Screen-Shot-2017-11-10-at-9.09.16-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2017-11-10-at-9.12.54-AM.png

Zoidberg

First Grade
I saw a good point about the Marvel/DC haters a while ago, points out the simple fact that those people probably have more in common with each other than they do with most other people in the world, yet they hate and abuse each other.

shiznit

Coach
I saw a good point about the Marvel/DC haters a while ago, points out the simple fact that those people probably have more in common with each other than they do with most other people in the world, yet they hate and abuse each other.
Yeah I saw James Gunn tweet something along those lines...

bileduct

Coach
Uh oh, looks like that 'Justice League' Rotten Tomatoes score could be bad

JOSH DICKEYNov 7, 2017

One day, 16 hours, 10 minutes and 0 seconds – that's how much time Warner Bros. is allowing between the embargo lift on reviews for Justice League and its first public screenings.

And if history tells us anything, that means the most ambitious DC Extended Universe film to-date could also be among its worst-reviewed.

A couple of months ago, we took a look at the relationship between critics' embargo times and release dates (as well as other studio marketing behavior) and found a striking correlation: When they allow more than two full days for critical consensus to gather, the scores tend to be fresh (above 60%). Anything at two days or less trends toward rotten.

And as you can see in our chart (at the bottom of this post), the scale slides in both directions.

Now, the embargo for Justice League reviews – as well as social-media reactions – lifts on Wednesday, November 15 at 2:50 a.m. ET. The first public screenings will be available at 7 p.m. the following night on the East Coast.

The closest recent comps for that turnaround time – 1-day, 16 hours, 10-minutes – are Monster Trucks (1 day, 19 hours, 32% on Rotten Tomatoes), Snatched (1 day, 19 hours, 35%) and A Dog's Purpose (1 day, 21 hours, 30 minutes, 30%).

Not a great sign.

But the most telling stat here might be the lack of a first-wave of social-media reactions. Big studios, including Warners, have lately been showing their blockbusters to smaller groups of curated movies writers and critics, giving them a separate, earlier window to tweet reactions.

Case in point: DC's own Wonder Woman, which allowed social-media posts a whopping 13 days, 21 hours ahead of the critics' embargo. They were over the moon – and kicked off a wave of positivity that carried Wonder Woman to a 92% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Without a social-media lift, and with that stingy embargo-to-release turnaround time, it looks like Justice Leaguemay hew closer to its direct antecedent, the critically razed Batman v Superman, which ultimately came in at 27% (rotten). (BvS was given a lead-time of two days, 4 hours – a little more generous than Justice League, but still in that rotten zone.)

Also not boding well here: That 2:50 a.m. ET posting time. No confident studio lifts its critics' embargo in the middle of the night.

Justice League has a few things going for it, though – early word is that the film successfully melds Joss Whedon's story beats and dialogue with the stylings and action of Zack Snyder (who was asked to hand over the reins after studio execs saw an early cut). Ezra Miller's first full appearance as The Flash is testing very well. And of course, this will be the DCEU's first film featuring Wonder Woman since the extraordinarily well-received Wonder Woman.

But those factors can only help so much. Reading all these tea leaves, I'd say Justice League comes in with a lot of reviews along the lines of "elements good/movie bad," the likes of which tend to skew rotten.

Predicted result: 33% on Rotten Tomatoes for Justice League, putting it just above Suicide Squad (26%) and BvS (27%) but well below Man of Steel (55%) and Wonder Woman (92%).

And if you think that's being too generous – or maybe too harsh, for many of you DC stans – well, then we'll just let history guide you:
View attachment 16310
Wow, they can come up with just about anything to make idiots like you click.

shiznit

Coach
Going to watch JL tomorrow.... I’m hearing good things about it.

Apparently it was described as a Snyder looking film with Whedon’s humour....