What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Pre-Season

callmack1

Staff member
Just thought I'd make a thread where we can discuss all things Pre-season like who's training well, how the boys are looking, training methods etc. It's better than putting it in the rumours thread and everything is now in one place.

If anyone if anyone has attended or attends a training session in the future, it'd be good to hear your insights.

Stuff you may have missed:

Pre-Season gallery week 1: http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2017/11/09/gallery_preseason_we.af_news.html

Devs explains the road to Round 1: http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2017/11/09/devlin_explains_road.af_news.html

Gentle assesses return to training: http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2017/11/07/gentle_assesses_new_.html

The camp at the AIS: http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2017/11/10/camp_canberra.af_news.html

Pre-Season gallery week 2: http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2017/11/14/gallery_preseason_we.af_news.html

GI returns: http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2017/11/17/inglis_rejoin_teamma.af_news.html

Pre-Season gallery week 3: http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2017/11/21/gallery_preseason_we.af_news.html

New year, new George: http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2017/11/21/new_year_new_george.af_news.html

Footy with Ello: http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2017/11/22/footy_with_ello.af_news.html

callmack1

Staff member
I heard everyone is training the house down
Apparently.

Sounds very promising so far. Challenge will be to do the talking on the field but it certainly sounds like the boys have hit the ground running. There seems to be a fresh feel about the place which is great and I like the sound of Seibold's new tactical periodisation method.

From all reports, George has been extremely impressive impressive so far. This is a fantastic sign and I hope being dropped from the England has seriously lit the spark that'll light the fire under George. I think this is a do or die year for him. If it's another season on crap I'm not sure where he'd go from there. If he gets back on form it would be so amazing and I so hope he can. Early indications are that he's hungry, he knows he hasn't been up to it and he wants to turn it around. We need him to and that would be so good.

Let's hope this all comes through on the field next year.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
A lot of our key players are coming into this pre season fully fit. It's been a while since this has happened. Cook and Tracey were also special mentions from the club. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Tracey can do.

Travitoh

First Grade
I'll wait for action....

We hear this talk every off season and it's cheap....

Preseason training chat is a way to build up players and excite fans. Everyone's always training well, everyone's always primed for round one. Most of it is paper talk and holds very little true value.

callmack1

Staff member
I'll wait for action....

We hear this talk every off season and it's cheap....

Preseason training chat is a way to build up players and excite fans. Everyone's always training well, everyone's always primed for round one. Most of it is paper talk and holds very little true value.
You guys are 100% correct. They can talk all they want but they have to come out and show that on the field next year. We'll just have to wait and see, let's hope the boy's can do it.

There's no denying that there seems to be a different feel about the place though.

callmack1

Staff member
Seibold Introduces 'Hybrid Games' With Port Adelaide AFL

Andréa Mandadakis
Thu 30th November, 09:30AM

Rabbitohs coach Anthony Seibold is known for his innovation, new ideas and introducing training procedures such as Tactical Periodisation into the Club’s training regime.

The boss at Redfern is looking to further the development of the younger players in his squad, with a little help from his friends from the Port Adelaide AFL club. Port Adelaide will be joining forces with the Rabbitohs at Redfern Oval from the 4th to the 7th of December to partake in combined sessions.

“We’ve invited the Port Adelaide AFL club to come across, so fourteen of their players are going to come and spend three days with our guys, along with a couple of their coaches, led by their Head of Football and Coaching Development Aaron Greaves," said Seibold.

"I’ve had a long association with ‘Greavesy’ from the days I worked in Melbourne, where he worked at the Melbourne Demons, and we’ve always done a lot of professional development with each other in the period of time.

“Something we successfully did when I was at the Storm was when we had Port Adelaide come across in 2015, so we think it would be a good fit for both clubs to spend a little bit of time with each other. Obviously we’ll have some combined sessions, but it won’t affect what we are trying to do in our own preparation for the NRL season.”

While both the NRL and AFL are beloved by Australians all across the country there is plenty of contrast between the two sports. However, ‘Seibs’ has pinpointed the benefits for both halves and outside backs.

The sessions, which include a series of conditioning, grappling and tackling activities and AFL/NRL hybrid games, will be beneficial for the younger players of the squad, to not only improve their skills but to also get an understanding of the processes of a sporting club from a different code.

“We’re actually going to do three combined sessions; two of them are kicking and catching sessions, so obviously our halves are our kickers and our outside backs are our catchers,” he said.

“We are going to do two combined sessions there and then our third session will be a hybrid session so we’ve actually come up with a couple of games that we’ve used before when League guys and AFL guys have trained in a few hybrid games that are great for skills and conditioning.

"We are going to play them on Thursday. On Tuesday and also on Thursday we are going spend a little time together doing some kick-catch.”

Recently Port Adelaide have ranked as a top 20 world leader in sports innovation, particularly as they venture into the Chinese sports market by taking a historic game to Shanghai in early 2018.

Seibold says while the experience will reap its benefits on the field, it will also help ensure a healthy relationship between the two proud Clubs off the field with the shared learning an opportunity to both teach and learn in order to improve as sporting organisations.

“It’s great for us here at Redfern to welcome Port Adelaide, they had a really good year last year and they’ve recruited well. We will see a lot of their younger players over here with us, so first, second and third year players will be coming across, and like I said it's going be of great benefit to our guys - particularly our kickers and catchers,” he said.

“As I said, I went across to Port Adelaide last January and spent a couple days there. Ken Hinkley, the head coach there, has always been very generous with his time whenever I’ve gone across, and Aaron Greaves, as I said, who is the Director of Coaching and Development at the club, he’s always been very generous of his time as well so it’s been a long association for myself with those I guys.

“I think the first time I went across there was in 2013, so I think it’s innovative and great for both coaching staffs to get together and share some ideas and develop professionally, but more importantly it’s a great opportunity for our players to see how another code and another professional sport go about their business, and they can see what we do here at the Rabbitohs as well and get plenty of shared learning.’’

callmack1

Staff member
Looking forward to our game against Wigan.
Who isn't? Haha. I'm hoping it's televised in NZ but it probably won't be.

On another note, I love the idea of training with an AFL squad. Should help some players really hone their skills.

Pommy

Coach
Who isn't? Haha. I'm hoping it's televised in NZ but it probably won't be.

On another note, I love the idea of training with an AFL squad. Should help some players really hone their skills.

AFL players have skills? I’m sure the AFL players can really hone their fumbling skills from George.

Travitoh

First Grade
Having played plenty of both games, training with Port will benefit them a lot more than it will us

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Hopefully it helps with our kicking game. Cody Walker and AR didn't have good boots last year and AFL players can usually hit a coin. Cook could also benefit greatly from some kicking practice.

Cronk used to train a lot with AFL players integrating their kicking styles into his own. Look at him now. One of the best boots in the comp.

Pommy

Coach
Hopefully it helps with our kicking game. Cody Walker and AR didn't have good boots last year and AFL players can usually hit a coin. Cook could also benefit greatly from some kicking practice.

Cronk used to train a lot with AFL players integrating their kicking styles into his own. Look at him now. One of the best boots in the comp.

Why do they get points for missing if they’re so good at kicking?

doyen

Bench
RL kickers have been really spoilt with the synthetic & much lighter Steeden ball than the heavier leather Sherrin.
The points of many of our top scorers in recent years have been exaggerated due to the light ball.
Some would be battling to kick the Sherrin accurately 30 to 40ms!!

I will always regard Eric Simms as a better kicker than AR as on many occasions he had to cope with a sodden leather ball that was as heavy as a brick.

Soccer players can head a ball these days,wet or dry,without getting a headache. The wet leather balls were like soap too! Very hard to handle----no synthetic balls with pimples to make handling easier!

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
RL kickers have been really spoilt with the synthetic & much lighter Steeden ball than the heavier leather Sherrin.
The points of many of our top scorers in recent years have been exaggerated due to the light ball.
Some would be battling to kick the Sherrin accurately 30 to 40ms!!

I will always regard Eric Simms as a better kicker than AR as on many occasions he had to cope with a sodden leather ball that was as heavy as a brick.

Soccer players can head a ball these days,wet or dry,without getting a headache. The wet leather balls were like soap too! Very hard to handle----no synthetic balls with pimples to make handling easier!

There’s a big thing in football at the moment about heading the ball causing very long term damage. It’s more than likely to be outlawed for children in the near future, that’s with the new lighter balls.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Why do they get points for missing if they’re so good at kicking?

Ha fair call. It's a horribly structured game. I never enjoy watching it. But most of the time AFL players can pull off much better kicks than rugby league players. They would be able to kick it downfield 50 metres and give it perfectly to a midfielder. I don't think AR would go very well in AFL. He has a great short kicking game but I don't really rate his long kicking game. I think this AFL side should benefit AR and Cody for sure. I'm not too keen on them learning how to catch from AFL players though. They call it fumble ball for a reason.

Travitoh

First Grade
Personally, i feel it is easier to kick a Sherrin over distance. The heavier ball travels better through the air compared to the lighter Steeden. I'm not a great kick but can launch a Sherrin much easier than a Steeden

doyen

Bench
Personally, i feel it is easier to kick a Sherrin over distance. The heavier ball travels better through the air compared to the lighter Steeden. I'm not a great kick but can launch a Sherrin much easier than a Steeden

In general play the heavier ball would probably carry better with the drop punt but for goalkicking the Steeden is definitely easier,IMO.
I've played both sports & I've tried kicking RL goals with both balls. I couldn't kick the Sherrin nearly as far kicking it off the ground!!

Latest posts