What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Perth team 2023

taipan

Referee
Bennett backs Perth expansion

The NRL has a golden chance to grab a big slice of the sports market after Rugby Australia controversially axed Western Force.

“Whether the Western Force was here or not I believe they should have an NRL team here in the future,” Bennett said.
“You’ve just got to get a plan for those things. I’m just not sure if we’ve got a plan.

“If everybody knew where they stood I’m sure we could make it happen.”

Bennett said mistakes should be learnt from the Super League war that led to the demise of the Western Reds.

“That can’t happen again,” he said. “With a plan of three or four years, including how they are going to get the players here, it will work.”

The NRL will not expand the competition until the latest broadcast deal ends in 2020.

“That’s fine. That’s great. That’s when it’s due to be reviewed, let’s do it,” Bennett said.

Bennett is not in favour of the relocation of an existing team.

“It’s difficult, there’s a lot of angst in that,” he said.

“The problem with relocation is that most clubs would rather not have a club than relocate.”

The NRL has vowed to explore all options for the game in WA, and while the state is seen as a favourite for expansion from the current 16 teams — in three states, the ACT and New Zealand — it will not be rushed.

Perth regularly hosts NRL games at nib Stadium, and Melbourne Storm will launch their 2018 title defence against Canterbury Bulldogs as part of a double header at the new Perth Stadium next March.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-...a-turnout-will-send-nrl-message-ng-b88656307z

I agree and that has been my position from Day 1, with everything Bennett has stated.Including the non relocation of existing teams.He is fully aware of the damage done by merging and removing teams.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Bennett backs Perth expansion

The NRL has a golden chance to grab a big slice of the sports market after Rugby Australia controversially axed Western Force.

“Whether the Western Force was here or not I believe they should have an NRL team here in the future,” Bennett said.
“You’ve just got to get a plan for those things. I’m just not sure if we’ve got a plan.

“If everybody knew where they stood I’m sure we could make it happen.”

Bennett said mistakes should be learnt from the Super League war that led to the demise of the Western Reds.

“That can’t happen again,” he said. “With a plan of three or four years, including how they are going to get the players here, it will work.”

The NRL will not expand the competition until the latest broadcast deal ends in 2020.

“That’s fine. That’s great. That’s when it’s due to be reviewed, let’s do it,” Bennett said.

Bennett is not in favour of the relocation of an existing team.

“It’s difficult, there’s a lot of angst in that,” he said.

“The problem with relocation is that most clubs would rather not have a club than relocate.”

The NRL has vowed to explore all options for the game in WA, and while the state is seen as a favourite for expansion from the current 16 teams — in three states, the ACT and New Zealand — it will not be rushed.

Perth regularly hosts NRL games at nib Stadium, and Melbourne Storm will launch their 2018 title defence against Canterbury Bulldogs as part of a double header at the new Perth Stadium next March.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-...a-turnout-will-send-nrl-message-ng-b88656307z

The broadcast deal doesn't expire in 2020, it starts next year and expires at the end of 2022.

flippikat

Bench
The broadcast deal doesn't expire in 2020, it starts next year and expires at the end of 2022.

Yep, and more ground lost to AFL.. the summer codes (Big Bash League, A-League & NBL) will likely have expanded by then too.

5 more years of stagnation at the top level of our game, huh? Great...

Perth Red

Post Whore
James Graham Calls For A Super League Club In Perth

English prop James Graham has thrown his support behind a Perth club joining Super League.
There have been attempts to bring a new NRL club to Western Australia and occasional NRL matches have been held in Perth in the past few years. The NRL plans to launch its 2018 season at the new Perth Stadium with a double-header between Canterbury against Melbourne and South Sydney against New Zealand Warriors.
But with the NRL seemingly shutting its doors to expansion at the moment, Graham believes UK’s Super League should look at Perth. The English tier of competitions already includes clubs from France, Toronto and Wales.
“I think there should be an NRL team [in Perth]. If not an NRL team then the way the Super League competition is expanding to America, then why not,” the front-rower told The Sportsman.
“If that non-stop flight gets put in then I’m sure they’re would be people looking at putting a team in the Super League. It’s interesting. Obviously the situation in Perth at the moment with sport, losing the rugby union team, new stadium coming in. I think there’s an appetite for it.
Graham was pleased to see the World Cup come to Perth and raved about the support he witnessed there.

“I think the World Cup has been organised fantastically,” he said.

“Our game is a growing game, it needs to be spread around. In Perth you could see the amount of English that have come our, or are either living here, the ones that have come from England, it’s just been outstanding. It’s been a pleasure to be a part of it.

“[The fans in Perth] it was a particular highlight. It felt like it we were in a World Cup, it really did. The flags, the singing, the people around town. We’ve been in Fremantle a lot and you’re constantly getting stopped.

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/james-graham-calls-for-a-super-league-club-in-perth

Billythekid

First Grade
Awful idea that obviously could never happen. On the previous topic I still think that 2022 is an ok time frame so long as we announce who is coming in very soon. Give the new clubs a few years to build up to it instead of leaving hem in limbo. They'll have more chance of success if they're given more notice.

flippikat

Bench
IMO the only way that the Superleague could add a Perth team and have it work is if they add it with a handful of other Australian/New Zealand/Pacific Island teams - maybe as a separate conference within the Superleague structure.

This would take a fair bit of money, and would be extremely financially risky.

They could restructure the Superleague into 3 conferences
- Southern (Perth, and some other NZ/Aus/PI-based teams)
- Atlantic (Half of the English Superleague teams, plus New York & Toronto)
- Continental (Other half of the English teams, plus Catalans and a 2nd French club)
With each team playing their conference home and away, and every other club once, and some sort of playoff format that includes the 3 conference champs, plus x of the "next best" teams..

This is never going to happen, but it's the only way Australian expansion of the Superleague could grab & hold fans - especially if they expand to places like Perth, Central Coast & Brisbane that have been clamoring for NRL expansion teams. Just having one team in a competition that's on the other side of the world is daft.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It is logistically feasible with the new direct perth to London flights but would be very expensive and would take some major concessions by the RFL and SL clubs. Pipe dream but if perth is never getting an nrl team then i can’t see the game here doing much as just a jnr feeder system for the not very national nrl

Stallion

First Grade
Perth had it's go it failed......

News Ltd stopped rugby league in Perth and poor rugby league administrators. The only win out of the Superleague war was the establishment of the Melbourne Storm. The rest of the "peace meal" deal was a mess and wrong.

Diesel

Referee
I’m sure Wellington was once earmarked for a SL team. Would’ve played 4-6 games in a row at home then the same away.

Jankuloski

Juniors
James Graham.. Wayne Bennett.. Spongebob Squarepants might have something to say about it?

Shouldn’t reporters genuinely interested in the story press some people on the ARLC to weigh in on this? Ok, no plan until 2020, but that’s now 2 years off. Any plan later? Long term strategy?

Perth Red

Post Whore
NY look serious! Just a question of money, if perth could find the money they’d be in with a shot at SL the way they are going over there. Nrl are not expanding in the next decade plus so might as well look elsewhere

The New York City rugby league franchise aiming to enter the Super League will target Jarryd Hayne and the best players in the world and boast A$52 million in funding over the initial three years of its existence.

Bid founder Ricky Wilby is a Yorkshire-based entrepreneur who has been involved in rugby league all his life. He has spent the past 12 years with the Catalans Dragons in media, sponsorship and logistics.

"The plan is for New York to come in to the competition in 2019 and we put our bid application into the Rugby Football League two and a half months ago showing our finances, potential stadiums and hotels for opposition teams to stay in," Wilby told NRL.com.

"We have also shown them proof of funds and agreements in principle for sponsorship deals to cover the cost of flights and hotels for opposition teams.

"The only cost for the opposition teams will be getting from their home base to the airport. We will foot every other cost."

The bid team will ramp up its quest in the new year with plans for a delegation of RFL officials to visit New York to meet sponsors and examine facilities.

"We'd like to get a 'yes' 12 months out from when we intend to kick off our first game in 2019," Wilby said.

http://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2017/11/27/well_funded_new_york.html

taipan

Referee
NY look serious! Just a question of money, if perth could find the money they’d be in with a shot at SL the way they are going over there. Nrl are not expanding in the next decade plus so might as well look elsewhere

The New York City rugby league franchise aiming to enter the Super League will target Jarryd Hayne and the best players in the world and boast A$52 million in funding over the initial three years of its existence.

Bid founder Ricky Wilby is a Yorkshire-based entrepreneur who has been involved in rugby league all his life. He has spent the past 12 years with the Catalans Dragons in media, sponsorship and logistics.

"The plan is for New York to come in to the competition in 2019 and we put our bid application into the Rugby Football League two and a half months ago showing our finances, potential stadiums and hotels for opposition teams to stay in," Wilby told NRL.com.

"We have also shown them proof of funds and agreements in principle for sponsorship deals to cover the cost of flights and hotels for opposition teams.

"The only cost for the opposition teams will be getting from their home base to the airport. We will foot every other cost."

The bid team will ramp up its quest in the new year with plans for a delegation of RFL officials to visit New York to meet sponsors and examine facilities.

"We'd like to get a 'yes' 12 months out from when we intend to kick off our first game in 2019," Wilby said.

http://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2017/11/27/well_funded_new_york.html

Reinforcing my earlier comments, ie : money needed for expansion.Foresight and vision extremely important,but it's the folding stuff, that is the final decider.

siv

First Grade
Reinforcing my earlier comments, ie : money needed for expansion.Foresight and vision extremely important,but it's the folding stuff, that is the final decider.

As much as I didnt like the Storm getti g all of that extra cash

It was a correct strategy for new markets

But what was missing was a timetable for it to end

Maybe something like $X extra grant that reduces by 10% each year after the first 5 years

taipan

Referee
As much as I didnt like the Storm getti g all of that extra cash

It was a correct strategy for new markets

But what was missing was a timetable for it to end

Maybe something like $X extra grant that reduces by 10% each year after the first 5 years
Agree ,but it (the loot) had to be there in the first place.And without News funnelling in the money,the Storm would have been see you later entity.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The game funneled the Money in,Not news. It’s well known the $8mill a year news was taking out of the game every year as part of the peace deal was pay8ng for the storm, then when news sold themthe nrl guaranteed a further $4.6mill a year for 5 years.

Ideally you’d have someone with deep pockets covering a new clubs losses but that can be very risky (see Newcastle and Gold Coast) so probably better the nrl puts in and keeps some level of governance over a new club to ensure long term sustainability not short term opportunism by some rich thing looking for a new hobby.

Stallion

First Grade
The game funneled the Money in,Not news. It’s well known the $8mill a year news was taking out of the game every year as part of the peace deal was pay8ng for the storm, then when news sold themthe nrl guaranteed a further $4.6mill a year for 5 years.

Ideally you’d have someone with deep pockets covering a new clubs losses but that can be very risky (see Newcastle and Gold Coast) so probably better the nrl puts in and keeps some level of governance over a new club to ensure long term sustainability not short term opportunism by some rich thing looking for a new hobby.

Insightful information in this respect PR.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
The Nrl has put it on the table. If WA can show they have a $25mil plan to grow the game and sustain a Perth team in WA they will get a team. Having a high performance center of excellence, healthy league comp, access to schools, leagues club, sponsors and strong memberships are essential. And a airline company on board would help

Stallion

First Grade
The Nrl has put it on the table. If WA can show they have a $25mil plan to grow the game and sustain a Perth team in WA they will get a team. Having a high performance center of excellence, healthy league comp, access to schools, leagues club, sponsors and strong memberships are essential. And a airline company on board would help

That's overdue but promising !

King hit

Coach

I can imagine the local RL community would grow to spate Union, a few WA politicians are getting behind Rugby League to stick it up to the ARU. Getting them on board will give the WA bid more omph.

Latest posts