What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

Parra Pride

Coach
Lies!!! Lies and slander!!!

You missed the super fine print that said "except for Aquaman."

In terms of popularity, the top 3 are Spider-man, Superman and Batman

I wouldn't say any of them are head and shoulders above the other 2

I would. https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spid...able-superhero-and-its-not-even-close-a111109

This obviously three years old at this point, but all things considered I don't see how Spidey's stocks would've dropped off.

Last edited:

Game_Breaker

Coach

Zoidberg

First Grade
I really like the marvel movies but I think after the next 2 Avengers films they will take a downward turn.
As soon as Cap, Iron man, Thor and Hulk are not the main characters I will lose my interest. I’m already starting to with movies like Dr Strange and Ant-man, while enjoyable, once I’ve seen I have no interest in seeing again or care whether they get a 2nd movie.
Time will tell but I really think Marvel’s next phase will be a beginning of the end for the over abundance of comic book movies we currently have.

bileduct

Coach
Most sold merchandise sure
But that $$$ didn’t translate to the box office popularity - Homecoming faired the same as BvS and no where near Dark Knight, and that’s something the most popular superhero should easily do
Homecoming is out already?

Once Marvel started moving out of the top tier of heroes - Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Spiderman - it basically became a case of generational characters - characters that were popular for about a decade, and faded out only to come back 30 years later when those kids of that decade started writing comics.

Comics died when kids couldn't buy them off spinners in supermarkets, newsagents and corner stores any more for a buck or two and had to tread wearily in some nerdist's comic book shop where there were 500 variants and 2 dozen titles for each character. Crossovers were just in their infancy. Plus there are far more mature themes for kids then there were 30 years ago.

When I was a kid reading, each character had one title, except maybe Spiderman, who had a couple.

I'll look at a 1986 subscription form from Uncanny X-Men 202:

Avengers
West Coast Avengers

Alpha Flight
Amazing Spiderman
Peter Parker
Web of Spiderman

Capt America
Cloak & Dagger
Conan
Daredevil
Dr Strange
Fantastic Four
Incredible Hulk
Uncanny X-Men
X-Factor
New Mutants

Power Pack
Star Wars
Thor

Now check out what is currently available from Marvel:

https://subscriptions.marvel.com/Default.asp

Dozens of similar line titles. Who can afford all these titles to make sense of what a story arc is?

When I was a kid, you grabbed a handful of comics, read em cover to cover and your mum chucked em out when they got tatty.

Now, it's a piece of art, priced accordingly, and I guarantee a lot of comics bought will be bagged and boarded and never read.

Frederick

Staff member
I meant box office takings

Homecoming and BvS were about the same worldwide
Homecoming was more.

Homecoming, the sixth Spider-Man movie to be made, made more money than the first movie to feature Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman all together.

Speaks volumes, doesn’t it

bileduct

Coach
Once Marvel started moving out of the top tier of heroes - Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Spiderman - it basically became a case of generational characters - characters that were popular for about a decade, and faded out only to come back 30 years later when those kids of that decade started writing comics.

Comics died when kids couldn't buy them off spinners in supermarkets, newsagents and corner stores any more for a buck or two and had to tread wearily in some nerdist's comic book shop where there were 500 variants and 2 dozen titles for each character. Crossovers were just in their infancy. Plus there are far more mature themes for kids then there were 30 years ago.

When I was a kid reading, each character had one title, except maybe Spiderman, who had a couple.

I'll look at a 1986 subscription form from Uncanny X-Men 202:

Avengers
West Coast Avengers

Alpha Flight
Amazing Spiderman
Peter Parker
Web of Spiderman

Capt America
Cloak & Dagger
Conan
Daredevil
Dr Strange
Fantastic Four
Incredible Hulk
Uncanny X-Men
X-Factor
New Mutants

Power Pack
Star Wars
Thor

Now check out what is currently available from Marvel:

https://subscriptions.marvel.com/Default.asp

Dozens of similar line titles. Who can afford all these titles to make sense of what a story arc is?

When I was a kid, you grabbed a handful of comics, read em cover to cover and your mum chucked em out when they got tatty.

Now, it's a piece of art, priced accordingly, and I guarantee a lot of comics bought will be bagged and boarded and never read.
I agree with a lot of this. I think the start of the major decline was around 91-92 during the relaunch of several titles such as New Mutants > X-Force, and the new Jim Lee X-Men book. That's when variant covers, polybagged comics with trading cards, all that shit started. DC pulled off the same shit with Superman #75.

Cross-overs back then, like Inferno, Fall of the Mutants, etc. were just contained to a few lines of interrelated books. Then bullshit like this happened:

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Age_of_Apocalypse_(Event)

Secret Wars 1 and 2, The Fall of the Mutants, Inferno, Acts of Vengeance, X-Tinction Agenda...then it got way way out of hand.

I took a look at all the X titles. Sheesh. I was happy with the Uncanny X-Men, X-Factor and New Mutants back in the day. I like Avengers and WC Avengers and would pick up various solo titles and Fantastic Four here and there.

Storylines were more contained and the cult of the artist hadn't arisen yet. 1991 was the year it all changed like you said. The boom of multi variant covers, multi title, multi issue cross over muddled plots.

And then Image.

Funny thing, I just cleared out my spare room. I handed over about 50 issues linked in to DC's Infinite Crisis from about 2005/06 to my kids. They asked me how they should read them and in what order and I had NFI. Go for your life.

In our house, we like the characters, probably more so the cartoon shows and the movies if age appropriate (which they aren't and back in the day they were pre-1989 Batman). Comic books, other than my collection of Uncanny and X-Factor, they wouldn't really know or care.

Plus the kids my age all became adult-kid 40 year old virgins and comic companies lost sight of the kids they used to sell comics to for a $1 an issue. They've basically bred out there fanbase and need the movies and merchandise to remain in business.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Homecoming was more.

Homecoming, the sixth Spider-Man movie to be made, made more money than the first movie to feature Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman all together.

No it doesn’t speak volumes

Homecoming made $880M worldwide in 2017 (it also featured Iron man)
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=spiderman2017.htm

BvS made $872M worldwide in 2016
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=superman2015.htm

Adjust it for inflation and BvS makes a little more money than homecoming
and BvS was shit

I see it as 2 movies released 1 year apart made the same money, if you want to claim victory for an extra $8M then that’s just stupid

Last Week

Bench
Homecoming was more.

Oh that was a Spiderman movie? I thought it was Iron Man 4.

Latest posts