What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Least Favourite TV Commentator (New Poll)

Least favourite TV Commentator

• Warne

Votes: 40 51.3%
  • Slater

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • Healy

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Nicholas

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Lawry

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Ian Chappell

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • KP

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Tubby Taylor

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • Border

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Clarke

Votes: 9 11.5%

• Total voters

Blade23

Juniors
I missed the days play, what did the wanker say?

One does not make a habit of listening to Warne. So I can't recall everything.
I don't know if this was the incident some were talking about but Warne was bragging about all the good batsman Australia have had after Bradman. He praised Greg Chappell endlessly, Ponting, Smith and bum licked Clarke as all fine batsmen.
No mention of Steve Waugh.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I don't know if this was the incident some were talking about but Warne was bragging about all the good batsman Australia have had after Bradman. He praised Greg Chappell endlessly, Ponting, Smith and bum licked Clarke as all fine batsmen.

thanks

surprised he didn't mention Brad Hodge...

JJ

Immortal
lol @ Clarke

vvvrulz

Coach
I'm going to give Mark Richardson a nomination.

Horrid, horrible, horrendous.

Funnily enough, Richardson is more tolerable in the comm box compared to his breakfast radio, that was horrendous. But he is poor; like a lot of the 'modern' commentators he's loud, over the top and plays the shock-drama card too often, not to mention having no knowledge of the game. He's basically our Slats.

That's why the old school Aussie group used to work so well, Greig and Lawry would go nuts and you'd have Benaud and Chappell (when he wasn't a grump) to ground them nicely.

Incorrect

Coach
Funnily enough, Richardson is more tolerable in the comm box compared to his breakfast radio, that was horrendous. But he is poor; like a lot of the 'modern' commentators he's loud, over the top and plays the shock-drama card too often, not to mention having no knowledge of the game. He's basically our Slats.
It's embarrassing listening to how jingo-istic Slater is... Healy and Taylor are bad too but Slater takes it to stratospheric levels eg Jumping around when Lyon took that caught and bowled off Ali yesterday....

And every time I see a replay of Clarke hitting his century in the 1st Test in Brisbane during the 2013/2014 series and hear Slater shouting "Captain Courageous!!!!!" - I ask myself, Why was he calling him courageous??? I don't recall Clarke having overcome any life threatening illnesses prior to that knock, or staring down some street toughs on his way out to the middle.... And I come to the conclusion that Slater just loves alliteration and "courageous" was the first "k" sounding word that came in to his head so he used it in conjunction with the word "captain" even though it had no relevance to the situation at all.... he might as well have shouted "Captain Conjunctivitus!!!!"..... knob......

WaznTheGreat

Referee
All TV commentators are pathetic,just read my expert commentary on this website instead for sublime insight and knowledge of the game.

vvvrulz

Coach
It's embarrassing listening to how jingo-istic Slater is... Healy and Taylor are bad too but Slater takes it to stratospheric levels eg Jumping around when Lyon took that caught and bowled off Ali yesterday....

And every time I see a replay of Clarke hitting his century in the 1st Test in Brisbane during the 2013/2014 series and hear Slater shouting "Captain Courageous!!!!!" - I ask myself, Why was he calling him courageous??? I don't recall Clarke having overcome any life threatening illnesses prior to that knock, or staring down some street toughs on his way out to the middle.... And I come to the conclusion that Slater just loves alliteration and "courageous" was the first "k" sounding word that came in to his head so he used it in conjunction with the word "captain" even though it had no relevance to the situation at all.... he might as well have shouted "Captain Conjunctivitus!!!!"..... knob......

Who would have thought right; once a swaggering, gum chomping, aggressive test opener and now this clown.

Timbo

Staff member
Sad that there are so few good TV commentators now - all personality (or lack of) self obsessed, egostistical f**ktards

God I miss Richie...

When they were replaying the series from the early 2000s the other day, it suddenly occurred to me - remember when Tony Greig was the bad commentator?

I miss those days.

TheParraboy

Staff member
All TV commentators are pathetic,just read my expert commentary on this website instead for sublime insight and knowledge of the game.

You are the reverse of the commentators, all doom and gloom and the world is ending type of commentator

Where as the ch9 commentators sound like they have won 50 million in Powerball after each wicket or boundary

TheParraboy

Staff member
Sad that there are so few good TV commentators now - all personality (or lack of) self obsessed, egostistical f**ktards

God I miss Richie...

When they were replaying the series from the early 2000s the other day, it suddenly occurred to me - remember when Tony Greig was the bad commentator?

I miss those days.

Agree gents

We may have said a bad word here and there about what someone said in the box, but by far no where near the diarrhea drivel and orgasms of todays commentators

Blade23

Juniors
Nine’s cricket isn’t the sound of summer anymore

Mike Colman
December 6, 2017
LAST year I was talking to former Test all-rounder Andrew Symonds about the Channel 9 commentary team for the upcoming summer of cricket.

“How do you think they’ll go?” I asked.

“Well, they have just signed the two most unpopular blokes in the game,” he said, referring to Michael Clarke and Kevin Pietersen.

The animosity between “Roy” and his former mate Clarke is well documented and Pietersen has made an art-form of getting people off-side, but when it comes to TV that isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

In the case of Pietersen, however, it is. The man is unlistenable — and Clarke isn’t far behind.

The golden days of “The Voices of Cricket” have never seemed so far away.

When I was growing up our next door neighbour was a fella named Stan McMillan. He was so old school he’d had to ride a horse to get there. Stan had been a prisoner of the Japanese during the war and when Dad bought a Toyota he’d turn his back to us whenever we drove past.

Every weekend he’d tend his tomatoes and beans and roses with the ABC blaring, the melodious tones of Alan McGilvray’s commentary forming the soundtrack of youthful summers.

Which is what makes the make-up and quality of the various cricket commentary teams so important.
Cricket is our national pastime. Matches don’t last for 80 or 90 minutes like football games. They can go for days and the voices of the commentators provide the background to our lives.

Back in the day McGilvray was everywhere, including my sister’s wedding. Mum’s Uncle Harry sat up the back of the church with a transistor radio as Doug Walters neared a century. You could just hear McGilvray’s scratchy little voice coming through Uncle Harry’s earphones between the “I do’s”.

When Kerry Packer took over the game it was Richie Benaud who picked up where McGilvray left off.

To hear Richie in the background was to know that all was as it should be. The cricket was on, the beers were cold and the barbie was hot. Life, as we knew it, was safe for another session.

And what do we get now? The grating, self-obsessed, fingers-down-the-blackboard whine of Kevin Pietersen, the pointless oxygen-theft of Michael Clarke who can use a thousand words to say nothing, and the over-the-top excitement of Michael Slater — a verbal version of his running between wickets.

Then there’s someone who looks a tiny little bit like Shane Warne, and Mark Taylor who, lovely bloke that I’m sure he is, always sounds like he’s trying to sell me an airconditioner.

And once they’re in, it seems like they’re in for life. They used to say that it was harder to get out of the Australian cricket team than it was to get into it. The same could be said of the Channel 9 commentary box.

The only ones I can stand listening to are Ian Healy, Mark Nicholas and Ian Chappell (who while, in the words of Dorothy Parker, “runs the full gamut of emotions from A to B”, provides the last link to the dream team of Richie, Tony Greig and Bill Lawry).

The ratings would suggest that I’m not the only one being turned off — and turning off.
Last summer’s figures were down 32 per cent on the previous year. Admittedly they didn’t involve an Ashes series but, even so, if Pietersen and Clarke are the best Nine can come up with things aren’t going to improve.

The solution? Well, they could hire Billy Birmingham to provide the voices of the dear departed, or they could move with the times.

This year I have been enjoying the coverage on Triple M radio.

It’s about as far from McGilvray as you can get, with an emphasis on the humorous asides of Kerry O’Keefe and Mick Molloy and the laid-back insights of Mark Waugh, but for mine the standouts have been Isa Guha and Neroli Meadows.

Channel 9 experimented with female commentators Kate Fitzpatrick and Stephanie Brantz but it was little more than tokenism and they were doomed to fail.

Triple M has got it right. Isa Guha is an international cricketer who combines knowledge and wit with the most beautiful voice in sport. Meadows broke the biggest story of the summer so far with the Bancroft-Bairstow headbutt yarn.

If Channel 9 wants to break out of the boys’ club mentality and stop the ratings slide, there’s your answer.

It might not be cricket commentary as Stan McMillan knew it, but it’s the future.

Mike Colman is a senior writer at The Courier-Mail.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/rende...e/news-story/a9058cc32b79d9c2cbea993fa6d41ea1

Good jabs at KP and Clarke there. Don't agree with his praise on Healy and Bitters Chappel.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Somehow the cricket commentary this summer has got worse than what they dish up for the RL.

“Channel 9 the home of shit commentators”

Latest posts