What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sione

Johns Magic

Referee
To be fair, good teams don't play 80 minute toilers.

If we are going well he is our bench hooker/backrower.

Buhrer is not just a toiler. He runs great lines and has great hands. He anticipates well.

He is a footballer rather than an athlete which is clearly where your issue with him lies.

Spot On

Coach
I think Mac has always preferred a player with size in the backrow.

I can see that argument however I'd take a footballer everyday of the week over what has been termed an "athlete" in today's game.

The quicker the interchange is abolished the better the game will be.

macavity

Referee
Buhrer is not just a toiler. He runs great lines and has great hands. He anticipates well.

He is a footballer rather than an athlete which is clearly where your issue with him lies.

He is a great bench player. He isn't one of our best 2 second rowers.

slotmachine

First Grade
Why are people ignoring coach browns comments "if the team was picked tomorrow sione would be at centre"

I assume he must be training with the backs if that is that case.

slotmachine

First Grade
Probably as bad as gagai defensively, but in a different way.
No wear near as dangerous in attack, but fat pat? Come on.

Spot On

Coach
Why are people ignoring coach browns comments "if the team was picked tomorrow sione would be at centre"

I assume he must be training with the backs if that is that case.

He can't come out and say he'll stick the bloke that had all the concussions playing in the backrow last season into the backrow again next season and all will be sweet can he??

Not doubting he'll move out of the forwards but what else can he say atm?

Spot On

Coach
Certainly not when he's concussed every week and can't play minutes in the backrow.

Rick Stone stuffed the kids career around imo. That year he had him playing all over the shop did not help him one iota.

Silent Knight

First Grade
I'm reading the part where JM and Mac are having a civil discussion on Buhrer's best spot in the 17 and my brain is humming along quite happily.

My eyes then rove across this...

Defensively he’s worst than my friend Dane and his brother pat looks more dangerous than him with ball in hands.

And my poor brain just goes into lockdown i.e.

1*NHOGFUEbmtdPWxQSRAcHWw.jpeg

macavity

Referee
I think Mac has always preferred a player with size in the backrow.

I can see that argument however I'd take a footballer everyday of the week over what has been termed an "athlete" in today's game.

The quicker the interchange is abolished the better the game will be.

The players we need to be putting on the park are both athletes *and* footballers. The two things are in no way mutually exclusive.

We went out and signed a bunch.

Spot On

Coach
Yes, agree with that Mac. I just hate the term 'athlete' and what I think it refers to in today's game.

Johns Magic

Referee
The players we need to be putting on the park are both athletes *and* footballers. The two things are in no way mutually exclusive.

We went out and signed a bunch.

What about Buhrer makes him unathletic though? His height?

I suspect if he was four inches taller but exactly as effective you wouldn't have an issue with him.

slotmachine

First Grade
I don't think he's unathletic tbh? He's quick, good footwork and lateral movement. Obviously not the strongest guy but he doesn't miss tackles.

macavity

Referee
What about Buhrer makes him unathletic though? His height?

I suspect if he was four inches taller but exactly as effective you wouldn't have an issue with him.

Height, weight, speed, strength. He isn’t unathletic per se, just less than optimal.

Height and wingspan makes a difference particularly for backrowers - ability to offload and tackling range.

We are arguing shades of grey. You think he is our best back rower (and it seems player) - I think he is in our best 17 but not the sort of player you invest a starting position (let alone 80 mins) in. Perfect 14 which means we don’t need to play Griffin... which is another issue - if we start Buhrer and also carry Griffin we severely limit our bench impact.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
I think a lot of people look past the fact sione is only 21 years old. If he can stay healthy with his concussion issues he has some much more improvement in him especially if he is allowed to play a position and stick to it

Johns Magic

Referee
Height, weight, speed, strength. He isn’t unathletic per se, just less than optimal.

Height and wingspan makes a difference particularly for backrowers - ability to offload and tackling range.

We are arguing shades of grey. You think he is our best back rower (and it seems player) - I think he is in our best 17 but not the sort of player you invest a starting position (let alone 80 mins) in. Perfect 14 which means we don’t need to play Griffin... which is another issue - if we start Buhrer and also carry Griffin we severely limit our bench impact.

Let's leave this conversation at "wingspan".

I hope all our players have an injury-free season so they get to prove their worth.