What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which test captain would you prefer to play under

Which captain would you play under?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheParraboy

Staff member
Simple question

If you played 50+ tests and could play under one captain only who would it be and why?

EDIT: Post Border era, substitute captains not on list eg Gilly, Sunshine

King hit

Coach
Mine is one you didn't mention. Alan Border

When AB became captain Australia weren't going that good and suffered some big defeats but his captaincy and batting lifted Australia to the top and he was a true captain commanding the respect of his team.

JJ

Immortal
interesting that there's no AB in the list?

TBH I think Chappell probably was a hell of a captain, if you were one of his crowd - if I'd played 50+ tests I reckon I would be so probably him - Waugh next because again he backed you

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Well I was a shit cricketer but am a great bloke and easy to get on with.

I’d choose Ricky because once you were one of Ricky’s mates you got a free ride.

Out of that list i’d Go Waugh because only I would be too scared to bat in a horse blanket under Chappell.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Where is Gilchrist?

Even though he only captained a few times I would pick him easily.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Mine is one you didn't mention. Alan Border

When AB became captain Australia weren't going that good and suffered some big defeats but his captaincy and batting lifted Australia to the top and he was a true captain commanding the respect of his team.

There over 40 test captains that I didn't mention

Out of the ones on the list, not that are not on the list

(chappelli inclusion was a piss take)

TheParraboy

Staff member
interesting that there's no AB in the list?

TBH I think Chappell probably was a hell of a captain, if you were one of his crowd - if I'd played 50+ tests I reckon I would be so probably him - Waugh next because again he backed you

Didn't want to put AB in, wanted post Border era (hoping Warne and Chappelli see the poll and all the Tugger votes ;))

No Giilly or Sunshine as they were sub captains only

No Warne either, surprised no one asked for him :p

Fangs

Coach
Just a side note. I've read the autobiographies of every captain since Mark Taylor.

Stephen Waugh's is without a doubt the most interesting and comprehensive of the lot. Highly recommended.

Ponting's book was very disappointing. Light on detail. Too many pints perhaps.

Taylor.

Team on the up, on the cusp.

Uncanny knack for fielding placements and bowling changes.

Hell, even Slats and Boonie bowled and Slats got a wicket.

I also think someone like AB or S Waugh were the captain. Buck stopped with them.

Clarke and Smith...it's the coach/committee making the decisions. Even going for a referral, Smith is looking to the sidelines anxiously for approval, etc. And sure, there's the computer stats video gurus in the shed but really...he should just be going yeah or neigh.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Taylor is a no for me,for at least half of his leadership he was carried and should of been dropped.

Captaincy should be all facets and when he struggled we picked an unbalanced side just to carry his fat arse. Hardly the sign of a great captain.

Bazal

Post Whore
Taylor is a no for me,for at least half of his leadership he was carried and should of been dropped.

Captaincy should be all facets and when he struggled we picked an unbalanced side just to carry his fat arse. Hardly the sign of a great captain.

I'd argue we did that BECAUSE he was a great captain, tbh. His value to the side was more than what he offered with the bat. I agree he was carried for too long, but I also believe he was an excellent captain.

SR Waugh for mine though. I love the cricket Australia played under his captaincy and I love the tough edge he brought to cricket in general.

Blade23

Juniors
Steve Waugh. The toughness factor for me and he knew how to keep the foot on the throat of a struggling opposition.Unlike Smith.
One proviso though. I get to constantly tell Shane Warne to his face Waughs a better captain and batsman than Mark Taylor.