What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC2017 Media Watch

LeagueXIII

First Grade
The best Poms would struggle to play SOO. Hodgson would be Blues 'hooker, that's just about it. Walmsley, Widdop and Macgilvary, wouldn't give you two bob for the rest, including all the Burgii with hands lik feet. Whitehead's alright , Hill's not bad and Roby could have been good 5 yrs ago
Sorry.

You do realise Australia have about 5 times the depth of England don't you?

DC80

Juniors
You do realise Australia have about 5 times the depth of England don't you?
To an extent that endorses his point, though it's "most" of the best players are in Australia, not "all" as a previous poster alluded to.

In England, a total of 44 thousand people, pros and amateurs, play rugby league on a weekly basis. That's a tiny pool to choose from. Factor in the lesser facilities, the lesser number of coaches, really England are working on a shoestring in comparison to the Aussies. One of the RLWC teams - may have been Ireland - were training at the N.Queensland cowboys facilities, and one player spoke about the gulf in quality of the facilities in comparison to super league. More money is available at all levels of the sport in Australia. For an English player to truly fulfill his potential he needs to go to Australia.

I'd love to think at one point the game in England will catch up but that looks next to impossible. Our resources are limited, our profile in England is small. We get crumbs in terms of media spotlight. Teams playing in small stadiums in a part of the north of England, attendances averaging around 8500, when we play against the Aussies we are basically taking a spoon to a fight while they have a machine gun.

The best chance we have right now of beating the Aussies is for most of our best players to go over to Australia very early in their career and develop there, plus having a top Aussie coach would help as we saw in this tournament where the defence were outstanding in the final. In a sporting sense Australia vs England is a mismatch, so completely lopsided in favour of Australia. Heard Ian Millward say yesterday the Aussies are battled hardened as they play against quality week in week out. They are much sharper as a result. The English based players don't get anywhere near such a test, so their game isn't as developed or sharp as result, and it shows when they have to make the step up to meet quality opponents. The Aussies don't rate us and they are right to do so based on results. The only thing that shocked me was Aussie pundits openly saying this which is counterproductive to growing the interest in the game. The general media won't pick up interest in an event when they hear people in the sport itself ridiculing the standard of the opposition.

The argument against Aussies being too focused on State of Origin that there's "a big world outside Australia", if we are honest not in rugby league there isn't. Australia, Tonga and Fiji, three of the four semi-finalists, those are NRL players. We remove Australia from the rugby league map there isn't a great deal left. In time we hope that changes but right now Australia dominates the rugby league world, and I'm not talking about their national team, but the game in Australia itself.

The only way that I can see Australia no longer taking up most of the rugby league market is for the game to expand elsewhere, possibly North America. I can't see how we can increase our game in England as we are locked in a region, and to all intents and purposes outside it there's almost nothing. It's been this way for a century so I don't see it changing anytime soon. Only growth from other nations may help our own.

Last edited:
To an extent that endorses his point, though it's "most" of the best players are in Australia, not "all" as a previous poster alluded to.

In England, a total of 44 thousand people, pros and amateurs, play rugby league on a weekly basis. That's a tiny pool to choose from. Factor in the lesser facilities, the lesser number of coaches, really England are working on a shoestring in comparison to the Aussies. One of the RLWC teams - may have been Ireland - were training at the N.Queensland cowboys facilities, and one player spoke about the gulf in quality of the facilities in comparison to super league. More money is available at all levels of the sport in Australia. For an English player to truly fulfill his potential he needs to go to Australia.

I'd love to think at one point the game in England will catch up but that looks next to impossible. Our resources are limited, our profile in England is small. We get crumbs in terms of media spotlight. Teams playing in small stadiums in a part of the north of England, attendances averaging around 8500, when we play against the Aussies we are basically taking a spoon to a fight while they have a machine gun.

The best chance we have right now of beating the Aussies is for most of our best players to go over to Australia very early in their career and develop there, plus having a top Aussie coach would help as we saw in this tournament where the defence were outstanding in the final. In a sporting sense Australia vs England is a mismatch, so completely lopsided in favour of Australia. Heard Ian Millward say yesterday the Aussies are battled hardened as they play against quality week in week out. They are much sharper as a result. The English based players don't get anywhere near such a test, so their game isn't as developed or sharp as result, and it shows when they have to make the step up to meet quality opponents. The Aussies don't rate us and they are right to do so based on results. The only thing that shocked me was Aussie pundits openly saying this which is counterproductive to growing the interest in the game. The general media won't pick up interest in an event when they hear people in the sport itself ridiculing the standard of the opposition.

The argument against Aussies being too focused on State of Origin that there's "a big world outside Australia", if we are honest not in rugby league there isn't. Australia, Tonga and Fiji, three of the four semi-finalists, those are NRL players. We remove Australia from the rugby league map there isn't a great deal left. In time we hope that changes but right now Australia dominates the rugby league world, and I'm not talking about their national team, but the game in Australia itself.

The only way that I can see Australia no longer taking up most of the rugby league market is for the game to expand elsewhere, possibly North America. I can't see how we can increase our game in England as we are locked in a region, and to all intents and purposes outside it there's almost nothing. It's been this way for a century so I don't see it changing anytime soon. Only growth from other nations may help our own.
You may have missed the game with 6 points difference just played. The Kangaroos nearly lost for the record. There may be a gap between the comps, but this doesn't necessarily mean the top 13/17 players exhibit the same gap.

magpie_man

Juniors

Excellent post and thank you for your insight into the game in England.
I think that you have already touched on the solution to the malaise that the English game finds itself in: expansion into new markets.
If done correctly, expansion into different countries opens up new markets and allows more broadcasting funding to flow into the game, greater exposure for sponsors and a larger talent pool of playing stock.
Invariably this lifts the profile of the Premiership and makes it more feasible to field teams in areas a little closer to home like London or Cardiff.
It appears that this is the approach that is being adopted by the ESL with the likes of Toronto, Toulouse and New York making their way up to the Premiership so there may be better times just around the corner.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I think that you have already touched on the solution to the malaise that the English game finds itself in: expansion into new markets.
If done correctly, expansion into different countries opens up new markets and allows more broadcasting funding to flow into the game, greater exposure for sponsors and a larger talent pool of playing stock.
Invariably this lifts the profile of the Premiership and makes it more feasible to field teams in areas a little closer to home like London or Cardiff.
It appears that this is the approach that is being adopted by the ESL with the likes of Toronto, Toulouse and New York making their way up to the Premiership so there may be better times just around the corner.

I agree - what RL calls a big TV deal is small fry in the North American sporting market. All it takes is Toronto and a few sister clubs to take off and carve out a small niche and the RFL could find themselves with quite a bit of cash on their hands relative to the game's finances now.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
Yes – but I have a big concern. Where are the players for all these expansion teams going to come from … ????

Stallion

First Grade
Yes – but I have a big concern. Where are the players for all these expansion teams going to come from … ????

They will appear. You would be surprised how much of a push in player interest occurs with the news of a new rugby league franchise club on its way. It's a massive boost in aspiring juniors and senior players when a prospective club is on its way.

Stallion

First Grade
Numerous development areas. I know from my experience as a junior trialist that their massive numbers of quality players out there. Just need opportunity and some coaxing. And what better way to inspire such players than the announcement of new professional rugby league clubs?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

I believe the current markets can be utilised more with a bit more development work to increase player depth in both the NRL and SL:

PNG, New Zealand, Victoria and WA, France, Wales, Fiji

These markets are untapped and could produce players with a little work:

Samoa, Tonga, South Australia, Ireland, Northern Territory

DC_fan

Coach
Fully agree! A game spawned by the market. And development is a fundamental aspect for its market growth.

I wouldn't say the game was spawned by the market. But I will say this, like any capitalist enterprise, rugby league needs to grow for it to survive. As I see it right now, this is not happening. Internationally the game needs to expand to new fertile grounds.

Stallion

First Grade
I wouldn't say the game was spawned by the market. But I will say this, like any capitalist enterprise, rugby league needs to grow for it to survive. As I see it right now, this is not happening. Internationally the game needs to expand to new fertile grounds.

If you look at how RL started it was a player led movement for payment. To me thats a market based initiative. The breakaway code had to exist by creating more attractive rules to attract fans to pay the players through the gate. It wasnt supported by established organisations like schools at the time. It was on its own and had to survive in the market place. Pretty impressive given the circumstances.

Latest posts