What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darren Nicholls

BennyV

Referee
"It's your first full season".

How can you not have your debut in this scenario?

Whoops!
Pretty simple - he didn't play a full season in the year he made his debut.

For example, Dufty's debut season was 2017, but he didn't play a full season (having come through in with only 8 games to go).

McInnes debuted at Souffs in 2014, but since then had not played a full season, switching between utility and reserve grade as he was blooded through. In 2017, he played his first full season.

Not a hard concept.

True_Believer

Juniors
Pretty simple - he didn't play a full season in the year he made his debut.

For example, Dufty's debut season was 2017, but he didn't play a full season (having come through in with only 8 games to go).

McInnes debuted at Souffs in 2014, but since then had not played a full season, switching between utility and reserve grade as he was blooded through. In 2017, he played his first full season.

Not a hard concept.

Which was exactly what I was trying to say!!!! I just did it in a round about way.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Indeed - seems pretty obvious.

Then again, the guy does place Rein above McInnes, so...

Before being released, McIness played over 30 games for Souths. ergo, he had MORE than a "full season's" worth of first grade experience. Considering this, it's impossible for him to have not debuted in the NRL before last season (2017).

Yes, it's not a "hard concept"; it's bloody rudimentary comprehension of facts.

Speaking of which, the aforementioned player was RELEASED by his former club in order to play for SGI.

This doesn't say much as McGregor is the 'coach'.

And while City versus Country has lost much of its lustre, Rein is still a two time Country representative so he isn't all that bad.

He just suffered from poor coaching from 'you-know-who'.

Although I'm yet to see it confirmed by a genuine source, I'm led to believe Rein will play for the Titans in 2018. It will be interesting to see how he goes.

Unwanted at Penrith, it was noticeable that it was winning games while he was playing.

A statement on Anthony Griffin?

Anyway in my opinion, Rein is superior to McIness for a number of reasons. More importantly, it says a lot about a brace of neophytes that they feel it necessary to ridicule.

possm

Coach
So if Nicholls gets a gig on the bench then what happens to Mann? Because Mary sure as hell won't start Mann ahead of our long term signings.

I'm tipping Mann to be one of our starting outside backs. In fact I would like to see him as our left centre, with Lafai moving to right centre and a couple of big strong young wingers such as Lomax and Garrick stepping up in 2018. Nightingale and Macdonald need to kill it in reserve grade to win a wing spot in 2018.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I'm tipping Mann to be one of our starting outside backs. In fact I would like to see him as our left centre, with Lafai moving to right centre and a couple of big strong young wingers such as Lomax and Garrick stepping up in 2018. Nightingale and Macdonald need to kill it in reserve grade to win a wing spot in 2018.

This won't transpire, and besides, it is too much of a gamble to include a couple of youngsters yet to make their mark in reserve grade, let alone the NRL.

I feel Mann will be ostracised by McGregor yet again.

Nicholls won't play first grade.

Drag Queen

Bench
Before being released, McIness played over 30 games for Souths. ergo, he had MORE than a "full season's" worth of first grade experience. Considering this, it's impossible for him to have not debuted in the NRL before last season (2017).

Speaking of which, the aforementioned player was RELEASED by his former club in order to play for SGI.

And while City versus Country has lost much of its lustre, Rein is still a two time Country representative so he isn't all that bad.

Although I'm yet to see it confirmed by a genuine source, I'm led to believe Rein will play for the Titans in 2018. It will be interesting to see how he goes.

Unwanted at Penrith, it was noticeable that it was winning games while he was playing.

Anyway in my opinion, Rein is superior to McIness for a number of reasons. More importantly, it says a lot about a brace of neophytes that they feel it necessary to ridicule.
Hear hear. Never going to win this battle, but maybe time to see if Rein will nail it with his new club. I think he will. C'est la vie.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Hear hear. Never going to win this battle, but maybe time to see if Rein will nail it with his new club. I think he will. C'est la vie.

Battle? Nah, it's only a discourse where a couple of folk seemingly struggle with the concept of a "full season", and what constitutes a debut.

As for Rein at the Gold Coast, isn't Peats the incumbent? If so, I reckon he might have a repeat of what he went through at Penrith. It would've been far more desirable if he landed at a club where the booking role is up for grabs.

Newcastle (under Brown) would be perfect for him.

Drag Queen

Bench
Battle? Nah, it's only a discourse where a couple of folk seemingly struggle with the concept of a "full season", and what constitutes a debut.

As for Rein at the Gold Coast, isn't Peats the incumbent? If so, I reckon he might have a repeat of what he went through at Penrith. It would've been far more desirable if he landed at a club where the booking role is up for grabs.

Newcastle (under Brown) would be perfect for him.
Whilst Newcastle would have been ideal, I have a feeling Brennan rates Rein enough to find him a spot. Peats is a versatile player and I believe Rein might be too. Brennan might be thinking outside the square. Time will tell.

Last edited:

goggles

Juniors
Battle? Nah, it's only ...

A “full season” runs from the BEGINNING of a particular season until the END of that particular season. A “full season’s worth of first grade experience” is a totally separate concept.

P.s. Using your own reasoning: Newcastle's Danny Levi, (a New Zealand rep) must be a far better player than Mitch Rein (a two time country rep)?

Como Connection

First Grade
I have no doubt Mann plays right side just as well as left.
Don't understand why some people insist he is a left side only player.
CC

Crush

Coach
This WILL NOT HAPPEN. Lafai and Aitken have been signed as our centres for the next few years. Nightingale will never be dropped to reserve grade and Mann is seen as our utility.

BennyV

Referee

And now your skewing the point. He had played a full seasons worth of games, but not within a season. So he had yet to play a full season.

You can twist it however you want, it's still wrong! This was his first full season in top grade.

On Rein - yes, we'll have to agree to disagree. Yes, he's been coached by morons his whole career but I struggle to see how a hooker who struggles with passing straight and lacks football intelligence would have somehow fixed these under another coach.

I'm not convinced he was 'unwanted' at Penrith. More likely, his former coach (Brennan) who has taken over the Titans head coaching role has recognised Rein for what he is - an above-average backup hooker - and filled a gap in his new roster (ie back up to their first string hooker). He'll get a run around origin and an extended run if Pets gets injured (history says this is likely) but expecting him to have a full season of first grade (in the actual sense of the term) will see you disappointed, and expecting his poor passing and decision making to magically disappear at this stage of his career would be the same.

McInnes, on the other hand, is younger, has far superior core skills for a hooker (passing, defence, decision making) and has shown plenty of glimpses of creativity that could put him into the 'elite' category as his career progresses. He has work to do, but the hooking role is far better settled now than it was 2013-2016.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
And now your skewing the point. He had played a full seasons worth of games, but not within a season. So he had yet to play a full season.

You can twist it however you want, it's still wrong! This was his first full season in top grade.

On Rein - yes, we'll have to agree to disagree. Yes, he's been coached by morons his whole career but I struggle to see how a hooker who struggles with passing straight and lacks football intelligence would have somehow fixed these under another coach.

I'm not convinced he was 'unwanted' at Penrith. More likely, his former coach (Brennan) who has taken over the Titans head coaching role has recognised Rein for what he is - an above-average backup hooker - and filled a gap in his new roster (ie back up to their first string hooker). He'll get a run around origin and an extended run if Pets gets injured (history says this is likely) but expecting him to have a full season of first grade (in the actual sense of the term) will see you disappointed, and expecting his poor passing and decision making to magically disappear at this stage of his career would be the same.

McInnes, on the other hand, is younger, has far superior core skills for a hooker (passing, defence, decision making) and has shown plenty of glimpses of creativity that could put him into the 'elite' category as his career progresses. He has work to do, but the hooking role is far better settled now than it was 2013-2016.

Avis.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
A “full season” runs from the BEGINNING of a particular season until the END of that particular season. A “full season’s worth of first grade experience” is a totally separate concept.

P.s. Using your own reasoning: Newcastle's Danny Levi, (a New Zealand rep) must be a far better player than Mitch Rein (a two time country rep)?

Oh FFS, completely ignore "debut" that was originally used concurrently with "full season's worth of first grade experience", why don't ya?

Joisus....

Latest posts