What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New York pro rugby league team

DC_fan

Coach
That isn't the issue. The issue is that there is no team here. There is no presence in New York, there is nobody with any finance or business acumen, this is just some random fan from Huddersfield who is claiming that he's going to start a team in New York and sign all the world's best players, and for some reason the Aussie media are running with it as though it's a totally legit and serious thing. It's like some bloke in his basement in Cronulla saying he's going to start a team in LA to enter the NRL in 2019. Just a laughable non-starter but the knucklehead Aussie journos have got wind of this and are now milking it as much as they can. The idea of a New York team being successful relative to most of the other teams in the RFL is not what is stopping this from happening.

I don t know if this guy is serious or not, or if he has the money to do it. Regardless, I just don't see it happening for the reasons I stated. Like or not, America is pretty well a closed shop to anything new in sport coming in from overseas.

Back in that 80s Australia through the Crocodile Dundee movie was the flavour of the month. But that didn't give them the desire to educate themselves about Australia. They were amused for 5 minutes with the movie. After that they found themselves something else to be amused with. In general Americans know or care little about what happens outside of their country. If you have any doubts about this, then google The View from Mrs Thompson's, and read the short story.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I don t know if this guy is serious or not, or if he has the money to do it. Regardless, I just don't see it happening for the reasons I stated. Like or not, America is pretty well a closed shop to anything new in sport coming in from overseas.

Back in that 80s Australia through the Crocodile Dundee movie was the flavour of the month. But that didn't give them the desire to educate themselves about Australia. They were amused for 5 minutes with the movie. After that they found themselves something else to be amused with. In general Americans know or care little about what happens outside of their country. If you have any doubts about this, then google The View from Mrs Thompson's, and read the short story.
He's not serious. I've known of this bloke for years, he used to post on British RL forums and run a fans website for Catalan Dragons. Take it from me, this won't be happening.

And yes, I'm well aware of how insular Americans are. Thankfully RL is not an Australian product so that anecdote is not so relevant.

Golden point

Juniors
What a negative lot you are!
I'm sticking with optimism.
In fact I think most of the teams in the US are closest to NY so should be prefect for a feeder system.
Any publicity is good publicity.
Expat central so not sure we even need a lot of American support.
There's probably couple hundred thousand poms and Aussies in NY that would jump on board besides the exotic appeal of an intercontinental rivalry ( could be an awesome atmosphere).
All for 1/4 of the price to see an NFL fixture!
Commercial gold mine with brand exposure crossing the Atlantic ( expect some big brands).
This is more viable than Toronto and it is not only possible/ plausible...
IT IS INEVITABLE.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

adamkungl

Immortal
one failure and it could end the whole American dream...

That would be typically Rugby League.
"well we tried once 20 years ago and it didn't work so never again". (see: Perth, standalone/weekend Origins, forward passes under video review, US exhibitions...)

Any expansion attempt will be littered with failures. Smart organisations count on it and plan for it.

Evil Homer

Staff member
My fear is that these are half-baked bids jumping on the gravey train and hoping they can put the club together as they go.

Recipe for failure. I hope they think hard about which they go with and not just who has the fanciest powerpoint, one failure and it could end the whole American dream...
Two of them are likely to be from the same guy who founded the Wolfpack, he's looking at a Canadian team in 2019 and a US team in 2020 and hopefully will deliver on that with the remaining bid likely to be considered afterwards if it's credible. As stated, the highly publicized New York bid can be discounted, that one won't be happening.

Golden point

Juniors
Two of them are likely to be from the same guy who founded the Wolfpack, he's looking at a Canadian team in 2019 and a US team in 2020 and hopefully will deliver on that with the remaining bid likely to be considered afterwards if it's credible. As stated, the highly publicized New York bid can be discounted, that one won't be happening.
So far the only evidence that the NY bid won't be happening is:

"Evil Homer " saying so 5 times.

We get it mate!

You think it won't happen.

Cool.

taipan

Referee
"well we tried once 20 years ago and it didn't work so never again". (see: Perth, standalone/weekend Origins, forward passes under video review, US exhibitions...)

Any expansion attempt will be littered with failures. Smart organisations count on it and plan for it.

Hell we have had a gazillion failures on the Gold Coast,and we're still plugging away.Let's get a bit optimistic here.The Wolfpack to date has been a plus, let's support emotionally the N.Y bid.

Evil Homer

Staff member
So far the only evidence that the NY bid won't be happening is:

"Evil Homer " saying so 5 times.

We get it mate!

You think it won't happen.

Cool.
No mate, I'm from the UK, I know the situation and I'm telling you that this one won't be happening. You can keep discussing it if it makes you feel good but it isn't a goer. As things stand the slated timetable for North American expansion is another Canadian team in 2019 (likely to be Hamilton, Ontario) and then a US team in 2020 (possibly Boston). Obviously that's subject to change but that's the situation at this stage.

taipan

Referee
I'd rather they tried and failed than failed to even try.

I like that.You should have written speeches for J.F Kennedy.Ask not what the New York Slams can do for your,ask what you can do for the N.Y Slams,or something like that.

Pommy

Coach
I'd rather they tried and failed than failed to even try.

The problem is the RFL is getting a fair amount of resistance to this expansion, it is better to select strong bids than hand people ammunition in the form of failures.

Jankuloski

Juniors
Considering Bennett is pushing hard for the Denver game to happen for England v NZ, shouldn’t there be a plan for a team there? Or should the test be played in Boston then? It doesn’t seem there is anyone of authority coordinating these efforts - Perez practically dropped the Wolfpack into the lap of RFL. As far as I remember, he’s the one who pushed the RLWC2025 bid too. An entire code cannot conquer a new market with only one man pulling all the weight.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Considering Bennett is pushing hard for the Denver game to happen for England v NZ, shouldn’t there be a plan for a team there? Or should the test be played in Boston then? It doesn’t seem there is anyone of authority coordinating these efforts - Perez practically dropped the Wolfpack into the lap of RFL. As far as I remember, he’s the one who pushed the RLWC2025 bid too. An entire code cannot conquer a new market with only one man pulling all the weight.
No, David Moore and Moore Sports are behind the 2025 bid. Not sure what the Denver thing is all about TBH, it's a pretty random location, I guess the thought is that it's half way between NZ and England? Certainly not a place that has been targeted for RL development at all in the past or potentially in the future but I guess maybe they are just testing the waters for 2025? TBH I don't see exhibition matches involving far-flung teams as a very effective way of driving local interest in a new franchise so I would see little value in taking it to Boston or elsewhere on that basis.

DC80

Juniors
That's an unfair accusation. The highest number of travelling fans to FIFA World Cups are from the US (and by some distance). Despite failing to qualify for Russia next year they top ticket requests.

In terms of sport it's us in the UK who care the least about what happens outside. Most popular sports...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_in_the_United_Kingdom#Popularity

Every single sport on the list is British bar the general activities (gym, swimming, athletics). Aussies could name basketballers, good luck trying to find anyone here who could. Baseball (which is mocked here as an offspring of the English children's game Rounders) isn't give the time of day either.

In a broader sense we are notoriously bad travellers. Ask the Spanish in particular. The least likely nation to learn a second language, a fifth of overseas travellers from the UK eat an English breakfast while abroad, most read British newspapers, and expect the natives to speak English. In other words we expect Britain in the sun.

General reading/schooling, most popular novels dominated by British authors..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Read

No Twain in sight, Hemingway with one work a measly 173rd.

Now music is pretty universal, but still the British focus towards our own creeps in, America's biggest rock band? Aerosmith, never done a thing in the UK. Likewise Kiss. Country music meanwhile is seen as an abomination.

Television in the UK is dominated by soaps, British kitchen sink dramas: 1.Coronation Street. 2.Eastenders. 3.Emmerdale. All on the three main channels. Shows from abroad are on channel 4, channel 5 or satellite. The Crown is dominating ratings in the US...here's the most searched pages over the past week, royalty galore...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Top_25_Report

....the equivalent wouldn't happen here with a non British topic.

Cinema (which like music is universal); upcoming Golden Globe awards (and likely Oscars too), Dunkirk is up for best picture, Gary Oldman as Churchill best actor, and Judi Dench as Queen Victoria as best actress.

It's just not accurate to label the US as inward looking. What is probably true to say is the English speaking nations don't pay much attention to what goes on outside, with the UK top of the list of those who don't.

The one area where the US populous would definitely be more focused internally than others nations is politics, which is understandable given their political power. It's also the one aspect of the US that is covered extensively here, helped by Trump.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
No, David Moore and Moore Sports are behind the 2025 bid. Not sure what the Denver thing is all about TBH, it's a pretty random location, I guess the thought is that it's half way between NZ and England? Certainly not a place that has been targeted for RL development at all in the past or potentially in the future but I guess maybe they are just testing the waters for 2025? TBH I don't see exhibition matches involving far-flung teams as a very effective way of driving local interest in a new franchise so I would see little value in taking it to Boston or elsewhere on that basis.

I can guarantee that the logic for Denver went:

Bennett coaches the Broncos + Denver has a team called the Broncos = Profit!!!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

It wouldnt just be the RFL hesitating after a failure. ATM there is enough momentum to get good backers of bids. After a failure, that momentum would be lost and hard to get back

clarency

Juniors
The strongholds of Rugby Union in the USA are California, New York, Pennsylvania and to a lesser extent, Utah and Colorado (they have smaller populations so are more contentious).

I don't know why Denver was chosen but it wouldn't be the Union presence.

Latest posts