What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sweet Baby Ray’s Buffalo Sauce

horrie hastings

First Grade
You haven't lived until you've eaten coral trout straight away after being caught. Red Emperor ain't no slouch either.

Coral Trout along with Pearl Perch and WA Duhfish rank as the best eating fish ever in my opinion, unfortunately living in Sydney the options of catching them fresh then eating them straight away are virtually zero.
When I worked in Kensington years ago I had a customer who I used to keep champagne corks for which he made black fish floats with them, he used to bring me in fresh black fish which he had caught at Bare Island, I used to love it, some times he would fillet it, sometimes whole, such an under rated eating fish. Of the fish that I catch when I fish, its hard to beat flathead but I hate filleting them, sand whiting which I never fillet, just have them whole, beautiful and sweet and often catch a lot of leatherjackets, quite a few different varieties of them, all have subtle differences in taste but are just lovely to eat, the fan bellied ones are the ones I catch most and are my favourite taste wise.

beave

Coach
Whiting is such a nice tastinf fish. Shame the standard ones (not King George variety) are just a small sized and you need a million of them for a feed.

I’ve never understood why people love mudcrabs. Im as NQ as you get and I hate the f**king things. Give me fresh water yabbies from down south anyday of the week. At least they dont taste like a mudbath.

OVP

Coach
Coral Trout along with Pearl Perch and WA Duhfish rank as the best eating fish ever in my opinion, unfortunately living in Sydney the options of catching them fresh then eating them straight away are virtually zero.
When I worked in Kensington years ago I had a customer who I used to keep champagne corks for which he made black fish floats with them, he used to bring me in fresh black fish which he had caught at Bare Island, I used to love it, some times he would fillet it, sometimes whole, such an under rated eating fish. Of the fish that I catch when I fish, its hard to beat flathead but I hate filleting them, sand whiting which I never fillet, just have them whole, beautiful and sweet and often catch a lot of leatherjackets, quite a few different varieties of them, all have subtle differences in taste but are just lovely to eat, the fan bellied ones are the ones I catch most and are my favourite taste wise.

I just love me some leatherjackets. A vastly under-rated fish, delicious and sweet. But there is no comparison to Coral Trout, it's the God of fish. I'd never ever be able to afford it ever again, but we hired a game-fishing boat for 3 days in the Whitsundays in the 80s. Best fishing experience of my entire life, no comparison at all. Unfortunately, my poor brother-in-law could only catch reef sharks, tiger sharks and one giant turtle( it was unharmed, hook was only caught under its shell). But I kept reeling in the CT's and Red Emperors. We ate like gods for three days lol.

OVP

Coach
Whiting is such a nice tastinf fish. Shame the standard ones (not King George variety) are just a small sized and you need a million of them for a feed.

I’ve never understood why people love mudcrabs. Im as NQ as you get and I hate the f**king things. Give me fresh water yabbies from down south anyday of the week. At least they dont taste like a mudbath.

Totally agree, cannot cop mudcrabs. It's mud in a shell.

OVP

Coach
The thing that shits me about crabs is that the amount of effort to access the meat outweighs the eating enjoyment.

Yep agreed, but it's the only crustacean I can actually eat (allergic to prawns, hate oysters etc). So I'm willing to make the little extra effort for a decent blue swimmer. I don't even mind the old spanner crab. Even though they are relatively tasteless for a crab, they have a fair amount of meat on them. But f**k those mudcrabs *bleurghh*

horrie hastings

First Grade
I just love me some leatherjackets. A vastly under-rated fish, delicious and sweet. But there is no comparison to Coral Trout, it's the God of fish. I'd never ever be able to afford it ever again, but we hired a game-fishing boat for 3 days in the Whitsundays in the 80s. Best fishing experience of my entire life, no comparison at all. Unfortunately, my poor brother-in-law could only catch reef sharks, tiger sharks and one giant turtle( it was unharmed, hook was only caught under its shell). But I kept reeling in the CT's and Red Emperors. We ate like gods for three days lol.

Went to South Leagues many years ago which had a good Chinese restaurant there and my brother in law ordered the whole Coral Trout, he liked it so much he ordered another one, needless to say he almost had a heart attack when the bill arrived, lol, we did eat well that night though and was worth every cent. Yep agree the leatherjackets don't come close to coral trout but when I chuck the rods out for bream, flathead and whatever else I might catch I just put the hand line in with a small hook and a bit of prawn or mussel and usually come up with a few of the sweet tasting leatherjackets, they are so easy to clean too.

Reactions: OVP

horrie hastings

First Grade

The King George are thumpers but unfortunately not found in the NSW waters, the King George whiting ranks right up there in the top eating fish,, the sand whiting can grow to a good size too but generally their size is quite small and you need a few if you are going to fillet them.
My uncle who used to have a trawler up at Evans Head used to send down to us the filleted red spot whiting, now they are small fish but they were already filleted so all the hard work was done for us.

Last edited:

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
The King George are thumpers but unfortunately not found in the NSW waters, the King George whiting ranks right up there in the top eating fish,, the sand whiting can grow to a good size too but generally their size is quite small and you need a few if you are going to fillet them.
My uncle who used to have a trawler up at Evans Head used to send down to us the filleted red spot whiting, now they are small fish but they were already filleted so all the hard work was done for us.
I've caught King George Whiting on fresh cockles on Callala Beach in Jervis Bay, NSW. The biggest was about 45 cm and at the time, I thought "WTF am I doing catching a tailor on cockles" while I was winding it in. It was caught just after sunset so minimal light and a handful of stubbies may have dented my visual acuity.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Crocodile-meats.jpg

beave

Coach
Croc is okay, I used to go to a tepinyaki bar in Port Moresby when I’d go up for work and they had a Papuan special that had vennison and puk puk (croc) and I’d always get that. Pretty plain meat that takes on whatever cooking sauce thats applied to it.

One food that i reckon is highly over rated is sea scallops. Rubbish, utter rubbish.

Zadar

Juniors
I've caught King George Whiting on fresh cockles on Callala Beach in Jervis Bay, NSW. The biggest was about 45 cm and at the time, I thought "WTF am I doing catching a tailor on cockles" while I was winding it in. It was caught just after sunset so minimal light and a handful of stubbies may have dented my visual acuity.

Got back from Jervis only a few days ago, caught some flatties and only 2 snapper from the bay, then the day after was in the basin and caught some dusky flathead, bit of a difference between the two flatheads, both were good, but to me, not much beats a fresh snapper cooked over hot coals, sweet and tasty, a lot depends on getting the perfect size fish for cooking too, bout 35-40cm seems perfect for both varieties.

I'm from Brisbane so I can't help too much but try any American candy store, I also know you said not costco, but I mean, they will have it.

Franks also make their own Buffalo sauce and it's amazing. Better than SBR imo. They're also mostly at American Candy stores, however usafoods.com.au has an awesome range of Buffalo sauces.

horrie hastings

First Grade

Yeah I just looked at the King George Whiting distribution area and it says it starts from Botany Bay, I knew a few have been caught down in far south coast of NSW but didn't know they came as far north as Botany Bay. All the fishing shows I have watched seem to indicate the ones caught in South Australia are horses compared to the ones caught in Victoria, either way they are a great feed. Best whiting I have caught was a sand whiting which was 41cm, it was a thumper and surprising on frozen prawn, had a nice night off the bridge at Stuarts Point on the mid north coast of NSW many years ago where I caught 4 whiting that were all 39cm, I have caught more when beach fishing before but never 4 that were that size all together though, pink nippers were the bait that night.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Got back from Jervis only a few days ago, caught some flatties and only 2 snapper from the bay, then the day after was in the basin and caught some dusky flathead, bit of a difference between the two flatheads, both were good, but to me, not much beats a fresh snapper cooked over hot coals, sweet and tasty, a lot depends on getting the perfect size fish for cooking too, bout 35-40cm seems perfect for both varieties.

When they were building the port in Botany Bay I used to fish off a beach that was at the end of the long retaining wall, the beach is no longer there but used to catch sand flathead and dusky flathead, always caught more dusky's but every now and then you catch a sand flathead, they were smaller but still nice keeper size, I had laugh, a guy came down to the beach one day and said you will never catch a fish here, then I showed the net with 4 flatties in it and suddenly he was very quite.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Yep agreed, but it's the only crustacean I can actually eat (allergic to prawns, hate oysters etc). So I'm willing to make the little extra effort for a decent blue swimmer. I don't even mind the old spanner crab. Even though they are relatively tasteless for a crab, they have a fair amount of meat on them. But f**k those mudcrabs *bleurghh*

Not really a fan of crab at all because its not worth the effort, it so fiddly pulling them apart for the ratio of meat you get, blue swimmers are definitely the best eating though but give me a Moreton Bay bug or a Balmain Bug any day over crab.

Latest posts