What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Qatar Sheikh Wanting To Buy NRL Club

Life's Good

Coach
Swissair doesn’t fly into Saudi Arabia because it has a cross on its tail wing(in keeping with the Swiss flag).
Sure Qatar is a different country but does it hold similar views on religious symbols?
Interesting to know given the ‘Saint’ in our moniker(doubtful the buyout it will eventuate though).

mickeylane

Bench
Again WINbuyout reported this morning on AAP
Dragons bailout

Billionaire Bruce Gordon will buy St George Illawarra. He’ll not only bail them out of financial trouble but reveal plans to play more matches in Wollongong. Expect some major managerial changes starting with veteran chief executive Peter Doust.

FlameThrower

Bench
Dragons bailout

Billionaire Bruce Gordon will buy St George Illawarra. He’ll not only bail them out of financial trouble but reveal plans to play more matches in Wollongong. Expect some major managerial changes starting with veteran chief executive Peter Doust.
I would have thought with WIN business being in the media, he would have had some guidance and influence in Dragons TV, Facebook, social media etc? How long has Gorden been involved with the Dragons, he has had plenty time to come in to rescue the Club? The NRL debt is about $8M? Why the protracted negotiations and terms? I'm all for change but not sure we will be better off less owing the NRL $ and maybe playing more games in the Gong? As for the Sheik buyout /- surely that's just Unicorn chasing fantasy stuff!

Gareth67

First Grade
Anything that will save the club(s) from going down the gurgler .

We must be on life-support now . If negotiations stall , or lord forbid fail at the last moment, we could very well be taking our beloved Dragons to the nearest vets , to be put out of its misery .

possm

Coach
Anything that will save the club(s) from going down the gurgler .

We must be on life-support now . If negotiations stall , or lord forbid fail at the last moment, we could very well be taking our beloved Dragons to the nearest vets , to be put out of its misery .

While ever we have Doust involved in the negotiations, you can be sure the Dragons won't receive maximum benefit and the negotiations will drag on. In my opinion his focus will be more to do with terms of exit for him and his mates.

We need an honourable entity to seek out all interested parties, document terms of sale and help facilitate a deal. I'm sure under this arrangement a deal can be done this year.

Bench
If Gordon takes over the club I would hope he declare all positions, including coaching staff vacant and expressions of interest be sought to fill all the positions.
But to do this he will need to set up a panel to review all applications and appoint the right people for each position.
The panel will need to be made up of people not associated with the club. The panel will need to set up criteria for assessment of each applicant based on experience in all facets of management of the team and more importantly, planning on the teams future.
Appointments should be performance based with a termination clause.
This could be just a pipe dream. But it is time for tough decisions, otherwise the club will just be cannon fodder for the elite clubs.

possm

Coach
If Gordon takes over the club I would hope he declare all positions, including coaching staff vacant and expressions of interest be sought to fill all the positions.
But to do this he will need to set up a panel to review all applications and appoint the right people for each position.
The panel will need to be made up of people not associated with the club. The panel will need to set up criteria for assessment of each applicant based on experience in all facets of management of the team and more importantly, planning on the teams future.
Appointments should be performance based with a termination clause.
This could be just a pipe dream. But it is time for tough decisions, otherwise the club will just be cannon fodder for the elite clubs.
If Gordon/WIN buy in it will only be for half the Club; the Illawarra half. So Doust and his crew who are already on the Board of the Club will still have a say. At best our $6m debt will be cleared and maybe some funds would be made available for a coach and training facilities at the Gong. For me a step in the right direction but not necessarily a very big change. I much prefer a sheik 100% buy up of both Leagues Clubs, Football Clubs and grounds.

John moz

Juniors
Gordon already has 50% of the merger from the Illawarra half. This is a problem with the sale at the moment st.george will not sell its 50% and gordon has a say if a new buyer wants in .

possm

Coach
All gone quiet, maybe Newscorp have gotten to him and suggested the Bronco's are a more appropriate franchise to buy!

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Dragons bailout

Love the last bit the most.....
Put me in for a double dose of that!

Drag Queen

Bench
Maybe it was never a reality.
Passionate fans (such as yourself) deserve better than having garbage articles designed for a headline with no substance.
In all fairness we are going pretty cheap. We're up for grabs LG. Banter is around the 6-8 mil mark. Perhaps one of the cheapest teams on the market. I'd take a punt with a clause. Doust and McGregor must be gone.

Life's Good

Coach
In all fairness we are going pretty cheap. We're up for grabs LG. Banter is around the 6-8 mil mark. Perhaps one of the cheapest teams on the market. I'd take a punt with a clause. Doust and McGregor must be gone.
Us being for sale is one thing(Doust & McGregor going would be a great by product). Garbage articles with little to no substance is what I am alluding to. It’s easy for a journo to write ‘exclusive’, ‘my source’ etc. but they don’t back it with any substance.
In our current state it’s hard not to buy into it as we will cling to anything remotely linked to change.

Drag Queen

Bench
Us being for sale is one thing(Doust & McGregor going would be a great by product). Garbage articles with little to no substance is what I am alluding to. It’s easy for a journo to write ‘exclusive’, ‘my source’ etc. but they don’t back it with any substance.
In our current state it’s hard not to buy into it as we will cling to anything remotely linked to change.
I'm being optimistic here, but I think the axe will fall sooner rather than later this season. We have a decent roster albeit a lackluster backline. I honestly think that Graham will make a difference. Time will tell.

Latest posts