What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our predicted lineup R1

Drag Queen

Bench
C'mon... We were weak at fullback, when we had Dugan playing there. He provided no try assists, scored very few tries himself and basically handicapped our attack. Just remember, no other clubs wanted his as their fullback either. With Dufty at fullback, we have someone with blistering speed, who can ball play too. I also believe that he could become a more dangerous bringing the ball back, than Dugan was. Dufty can get better, while Dugan didn't. I believe that Dufty will go well next year at fullback for us and most will be happy that we let Dugan go, even you too.

We also have Field as another potential fullback. I seriously think that Field will make it in the NRL as a fullback, but I am not sure if it will be at our club or somewhere else.

I would rather Dufty or Field over Dugan at fullback for us this year. I also don't think we are weak at fullback this year, I actually think we have 2 better fullbacks than Dugan.

I think the fact that Dugan gets picked for NSW and Australia, gives some of our fans an exaggerated opinion of him.
You made me laugh. Congrats.

mickeylane

Bench
C'mon... We were weak at fullback, when we had Dugan playing there. He provided no try assists, scored very few tries himself and basically handicapped our attack. Just remember, no other clubs wanted his as their fullback either. With Dufty at fullback, we have someone with blistering speed, who can ball play too. I also believe that he could become a more dangerous bringing the ball back, than Dugan was. Dufty can get better, while Dugan didn't. I believe that Dufty will go well next year at fullback for us and most will be happy that we let Dugan go, even you too.

We also have Field as another potential fullback. I seriously think that Field will make it in the NRL as a fullback, but I am not sure if it will be at our club or somewhere else.

I would rather Dufty or Field over Dugan at fullback for us this year. I also don't think we are weak at fullback this year, I actually think we have 2 better fullbacks than Dugan.

I think the fact that Dugan gets picked for NSW and Australia, gives some of our fans an exaggerated opinion of him.
Whatever Millward states in public forum usually happens. - Dugan to be considered only as a centre = Dugan played centre
- Field to be first choice FB in 2018 then move into halves in latter years = Field will be 1st choice fullback
The grooming for Field at FB started last year in Reserve grade when a well established backline was shuffled around to accomodate Field at FB ..

LINESPEED

Juniors
Lol@Field and Dufty being better than Dugan! I’ve seen delusion before but this is next level!!!
Correct ATM
That's why I'd start with Widdop at fullback
Bennett's no fool - he shoulda won the World Cup

I'd love to see Widdop setting up tries for the likes of Mann, Lomax, Dufty & Field with speed to burn for a change. There're great passing skills too in that mix?

Power in the forwards, flair & speed in the backs.

I don't trust our current 2-5 in defence as they're slow and too easily stepped.
I reckon:
1.Widdop to organise from the back
2.Hunt to organise from the front - where he excels at 7&9

Old Timer

Coach
Whatever Millward states in public forum usually happens. - Dugan to be considered only as a centre = Dugan played centre
- Field to be first choice FB in 2018 then move into halves in latter years = Field will be 1st choice fullback
The grooming for Field at FB started last year in Reserve grade when a well established backline was shuffled around to accomodate Field at FB ..
Honestly???
The reggies were shuffled around to accommodate Field at FB only because Dufty went to the NRL due to Aitken's injury requiring Dugan to go to centre.
If no injury to Aitken then Dufty remains in reggies at FB and Field would be FB in the u/20's or in the halves at best.
Field would be our 3rd pick FB at best for NRL.
Your analogy re Millward only holds water due to injuries occurring not as a result of him having sway over positions when everyone is available.

mickeylane

Bench
Honestly???
The reggies were shuffled around to accommodate Field at FB only because Dufty went to the NRL due to Aitken's injury requiring Dugan to go to centre.
If no injury to Aitken then Dufty remains in reggies at FB and Field would be FB in the u/20's or in the halves at best.
Field would be our 3rd pick FB at best for NRL.
Your analogy re Millward only holds water due to injuries occurring not as a result of him having sway over positions when everyone is available.
I don't want to be the one that said I told u so- Dufty will rightly so start at FB this year - if he starts to falter though and Field is healthy he will slot straight in.. Can't see Mcgregor using WIDDOP at FB and jeopardising the halves combination.. Don't underestimate the control Millward has within the club..

I don't want to be the one that said I told u so- Dufty will rightly so start at FB this year - if he starts to falter though and Field is healthy he will slot straight in.. Can't see Mcgregor using WIDDOP at FB and jeopardising the halves combination.. Don't underestimate the control Millward has within the club..

Interestingly, on club website, Mann is listed as a full back and Field is listed as a half.

So Full Backs are Dufty/Mann with Widdop waiting in the wings if all else fails.

If Hunt or Widdop is injured, Nicholls and then Field will be considered for selection.

There is a major question mark for me over Field, given his rapid weight gain during the off season.

6 to 12 months in reggies will demonstrate whether he will be able to handle the physicality of FG.

Despite Millward's commentary last year, I don't see Field playing Full Back any time soon.

possm

Coach
1. Field
2. Mann
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. McDonald

6. Widdop
7. Hunt

8. Vaughan
9. Mciness
10. Graham
11. Frizell
12. Simms
13. JDB

14. Host
15. Ah Mau
16. Allgood
17. Leilua
Not a bad line-up, it would surely add some speed and enthusiasm to the backline. Macdonald v Dufty?

Old Timer

Coach
Not what you said earlier so too late to hedge your bets
You said Field to start at FB because Millward said so

Old Timer

Coach
Field and Dufty will both play many more games at fullback in first grade than Dugan will in the future.
I suspect Field will play none as the first picked FB at St George because if Dufty is the real deal Field is left in the lurch and if he wants too play FB he will need to go to another club..
Despite what many say I think Field's future lies in the halves and he will excel there.
Dufty might very well play more FB than Duges will play in the future but the question is will he play as many in total as Dugan has already?
I sincerely hope Dufty does but no guarantees and IMO Dugan at FB was not the bad scenario many like to paint.

Crush

Coach
Field and Dufty will both play many more games at fullback in first grade than Dugan will in the future.
Dufty is still a big unknown but he looks to be a ball playing fullback that will chime in with the halves in attack. Dugan couldn't catch and pass to save his life. He was a great defensive FB and was a monster in broken play and returns but was pathetic at any set plays. I also remember him butchering tries by failing to draw and pass and cannot forget him dropping the ball cold over the line when any quality back would have scored.
Dugan may excel at centre with the sharks maybe but I for one am glad he isn't our fullback going forward.

possm

Coach
Dufty is still a big unknown but he looks to be a ball playing fullback that will chime in with the halves in attack. Dugan couldn't catch and pass to save his life. He was a great defensive FB and was a monster in broken play and returns but was pathetic at any set plays. I also remember him butchering tries by failing to draw and pass and cannot forget him dropping the ball cold over the line when any quality back would have scored.
Dugan may excel at centre with the sharks maybe but I for one am glad he isn't our fullback going forward.

With the depth we have in the centres, don't be surprised if Lomax becomes our long term fullback in the next few years. He certainly has the size, speed and skill-set to be our next Changa Langlands.

Drag Queen

Bench
Unless they get knocked sideways with their defence Frank. Time will tell I guess. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Dugan gets some play time at FB with Cronulla.

Crush

Coach
With the depth we have in the centres, don't be surprised if Lomax becomes our long term fullback in the next few years. He certainly has the size, speed and skill-set to be our next Changa Langlands.
Sorry Poss, I don't understand why you say we have depth in our centres. I actually think this is the weakest part of our team. We'll start the season with Aitken and Lafai. Hardly 1st grade level centres IMO compared to what other teams have in the 3 & 4 jerseys.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Two playmakers in the halves was fraught with Marshall & Widdop maybe?
Widdop was never himself with Marshall beside him.
Too many chiefs in the one area? I think Bennett moved Hunt to 9 because he had 2 playmakers jamming each other. Why not spread the talent and creativity?
If The Club's got Field marked for the halves then he may get a run there this year.
We may need Widdop's defence at fullback along with his linking skills and superb passing to wingers.
It seems forum members are unsure ATM of Field & Dufty at fullback, and Lomax probably needs to be blooded on wing or in the centres, even though fullback might be his eventual position. That leaves Mann & Widdop. I think Mann should be in the centres - again for his defence and speed. Therefore I think Widdop would be a settler for fullback to start with, especially if he's got a couple of young guns in the backs to help transition.

Last edited:

Drag Queen

Bench
Two playmakers in the halves was fraught with Marshall & Widdop maybe?
Widdop was never himself with Marshall beside him.
Two many chiefs in the one area? I think Bennett moved Hunt to 9 because he had 2 playmakers jamming each other. Why not spread the talent and creativity?
If The Club's got Field marked for the halves then he may get a run there this year.
We may need Widdop's defence at fullback along with his linking skills and superb passing to wingers.
It seems forum members are unsure ATM of Field & Dufty at fullback, and Lomax probably needs to be blooded on wing or in the centres, even though fullback might be his eventual position. That leaves Mann & Widdop. I think Mann should be in the centres - again for his defence and speed. Therefore I think Widdop would be a settler for fullback to start with, especially if he's got a couple of young guns in the backs to help transition.
It'll be interesting to see how Widdop and Hunt gel. Bennett at least can see outside of the square when needed. Do I expect some creativity from Mary if things go pear shaped. Nope.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I like the look of Field and Dufty. They have attributes that I want in a fullback, blinding speed and the ability to ball play too. I have heard from someone who goes down and watches them train and who speaks to the players that Dufty has put on some muscle. I have also read how Field has bulked up over the off season too. As long as they hold onto their speed and acceleration, they will have addressed an area that many of us are concerned about.

I have said many times before, that I think Lomax is our best centre prospect and best fullback prospect. Should Lomax be earmarked for the fullback spot? Personally I would be very happy for either Dufty or Field to kill it at fullback for us and for us to be able to keep Lomax as a centre. But Lomax could get bigger offers from other clubs, with the offer to play fullback, if we keep him centre. Easts may be in similar situation with holding onto Mitchell.

BTW. I think Lomax will be a much better fullback or centre than Dugan too.

Latest posts