What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sweet Baby Ray’s Buffalo Sauce

horrie hastings

First Grade
I just eat the whole f**king chicken....

......at one sitting.

After the chicken discussion the other night I had to go to Woolworths to pick up something and ended up buying some chicken thighs and baking them in a bit of water with some chicken stock powder and lemon pepper, they were delicious with some potatoes cooked with them and salad. Tonight had the buffalo chicken wings done in bbq sauce from the warren view hotel, just a slight kick in them ,finger licking delicious :D

Last edited:

beave

Coach
After the chicken discussion the other night I had to go to Woolworths to pick up something and ended up buying some chicken thighs and baking them in a bit of water with some chicken stock powder and lemon pepper, they were delicious with some potatoes cooked with them and salad. Tonight had the buffalo chicken wings done in bbq sauce from the warren view hotel, just a slight kick in them ,finger licking delicious :D

Buffalo chicken wings in BBQ sauce isn’t buffalo chicken mate...... :)

horrie hastings

First Grade
Buffalo chicken wings in BBQ sauce isn’t buffalo chicken mate...... :)

The pub does them in the sauce they do their ribs in, they also have chilli but I wasn’t up for a ring burner , maybe not true buffalo wings in the sense but they market them as buffalo wings and they were nice and crunchy, satisfied me so that’s all that matters :sunglasses:

beave

Coach
The pub does them in the sauce they do their ribs in, they also have chilli but I wasn’t up for a ring burner , maybe not true buffalo wings in the sense but they market them as buffalo wings and they were nice and crunchy, satisfied me so that’s all that matters :sunglasses:

Pubs that do that enfuriate me hey, theres a few in brissy here that do the same thing. American food is so easy to make and if they took the time to do research, they could pump out pretty decent and authentic cuisine.

I’d love to open my own yank bar but I have zero business or hospitality acumen, but if you did it right it would be a massive hit.

Beaves Buffalo Bar......

horrie hastings

First Grade
Pubs that do that enfuriate me hey, theres a few in brissy here that do the same thing. American food is so easy to make and if they took the time to do research, they could pump out pretty decent and authentic cuisine.

I’d love to open my own yank bar but I have zero business or hospitality acumen, but if you did it right it would be a massive hit.

Beaves Buffalo Bar......

I would certainly eat out at Beaves Buffalo Bar if I was up in Brisbane :grinning:

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
I wanna see pics of the final product mate.
Here ya go......

WP_20180104_003.jpg

I couldn't upload the full image because it exceeded LU's 1MB limit.

The chicken - crunchy, crispy and cooked not to perfection, but evenly. Well f**ked if I know how long for - maybe 10 minutes or so. Plain flour only so a bit bland.

The sauce - someone promised me a Margot Robbie and I ended up with Susan Boyle. Well not quite that extreme.

It has a sort of unusual "pre-taste" before the heat kicks in, not that it's a taste bud burner. I've had the pre-taste before in meals before and I had no idea what it is.

For me, Sweet Baby Ray will be relegated to the "for marinade use only" category. Mix it with Worstershire or Soy Sauce, add some spice to enhance its dullness and hope it doesn't kill a Maryland.

Overall.

Chicken - 6.5/10. More if I garlic salted the flour.

Sauce - 3.5/10. Make my own and tweak it for a way better flavour.

beave

Coach
Yeah mate. Sweet baby Rays buffalo sauce is terrible. You gotta use original Franks Hot Sauce

sobYQbaTsv1oXwJzeQ8PNFsO0zhmdxOcYFbaK1-aXuirwhG4jPgnUeWnhww90LaowISDOjl8_giYlY02Yv9EepqJWR2me8HGQKFmOqXszEHM3K00AcS_W11y72hQoxEC36yhzCa0GmSb3QJoJLqMBdGOXLBflDDe3wgptLDzy8DTb_mA_h7590Dte1yRt1CIYsIYtQQtglA2KMWl9aLQ_p0fMIDeWtZVBrrhlPkZ=w384-h384-nc

And then tweak it.

Even the Sweet Baby rays BBQ sauce is rubbish. I have a smoker and did some ribs last year. Used SBR BBQ as my bbq sauce and had to add so much shit to it to give it some flavour and decent taste. I’ll never buy it again. I do wings at work and a mate bought the SBR Buff sauce in and I nearly threw the bottle at him after my first taste of it.

Trust me, use the Franks and add the ingredients I put in the 1st page and you’ll be happier mate. Im doing some tomorrow for the footy, I’ll put some pics up

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Yeah mate. Sweet baby Rays buffalo sauce is terrible. You gotta use original Franks Hot Sauce

sobYQbaTsv1oXwJzeQ8PNFsO0zhmdxOcYFbaK1-aXuirwhG4jPgnUeWnhww90LaowISDOjl8_giYlY02Yv9EepqJWR2me8HGQKFmOqXszEHM3K00AcS_W11y72hQoxEC36yhzCa0GmSb3QJoJLqMBdGOXLBflDDe3wgptLDzy8DTb_mA_h7590Dte1yRt1CIYsIYtQQtglA2KMWl9aLQ_p0fMIDeWtZVBrrhlPkZ=w384-h384-nc

And then tweak it.

Even the Sweet Baby rays BBQ sauce is rubbish. I have a smoker and did some ribs last year. Used SBR BBQ as my bbq sauce and had to add so much shit to it to give it some flavour and decent taste. I’ll never buy it again. I do wings at work and a mate bought the SBR Buff sauce in and I nearly threw the bottle at him after my first taste of it.

Trust me, use the Franks and add the ingredients I put in the 1st page and you’ll be happier mate. Im doing some tomorrow for the footy, I’ll put some pics up
We appear to have very similar tastes when it comes to chicken dishes mate.

Frank's it is. Give it a go tomorrow as I'm f**ked in going to the shops in this weather.

It's 40.8 deg C according to BOM's nearest weather station.

abpanther

Staff member

And then tweak it.

I've been doing smoked pork ribs on the weber kettle for some time now, did a batch with the SBR BBQ sauce the other day, it came out ok but probably thanks to the rub I had put on earlier. Just curious as to what rub/sauce you use and whether you're using the 3-2-1 method?

82C77F96-37D3-4D82-9C3A-BED75C14093D.jpeg

I bbq on an off-set smoker a fair bit.

Stubbs has never let me down. They have a big range too.

I don’t get too wrapped up in it to be honest.

You can do a basic rub of salt and pepper and if you cook low and slow with a nice wood smoke you’ll be on a winner, and guests can use any range of sauces you have/like.

But make sure you scowl at them as they reach for it. :wink:

The best tips I was given was:

1. Use proper charcoal.

Heat beads is for the birds. Find a bag of good red gum, or just real charcoal. Crucial.

2. If you’re smoking. Smoke real wood. Real wood chunks with the flavour still in it. Those “kiln dried” hickory “tan-bark” chips from Bunnings are shit. They’re dried out to get the volume weight down, have no oil or flavour and are just shit.

I’m lucky and live near orchards and get cherry, apple, even apricot, which is pretty good on fish.

If you’re not near an orchard and want good smoking chunks, there is a bloke in Victoria who is posts it out at reasonable prices. SmokeMaster maybe? Google it.

Anyway, my two bob... (and I know we’ve strayed from Buffalo Wings, which I love...)

1. Quality of heat and smoke

2. Sauce - secondary/optional.

abpanther

Staff member
View attachment 17085

I bbq on an off-set smoker a fair bit.

Stubbs has never let me down. They have a big range too.

I don’t get too wrapped up in it to be honest.

You can do a basic rub of salt and pepper and if you cook low and slow with a nice wood smoke you’ll be on a winner, and guests can use any range of sauces you have/like.

But make sure you scowl at them as they reach for it. :wink:

The best tips I was given was:

1. Use proper charcoal.

Heat beads is for the birds. Find a bag of good red gum, or just real charcoal. Crucial.

2. If you’re smoking. Smoke real wood. Real wood chunks with the flavour still in it. Those “kiln dried” hickory “tan-bark” chips from Bunnings are shit. They’re dried out to get the volume weight down, have no oil or flavour and are just shit.

I’m lucky and live near orchards and get cherry, apple, even apricot, which is pretty good on fish.

If you’re not near an orchard and want good smoking chunks, there is a bloke in Victoria who is posts it out at reasonable prices. SmokeMaster maybe? Google it.

Anyway, my two bob... (and I know we’ve strayed from Buffalo Wings, which I love...)

1. Quality of heat and smoke

2. Sauce - secondary/optional.

Thanks for the tips mate, I'm still a novice so sounds like I need to invest in better charcoal and wood chunks. Any good suppliers other than out in the farms?

Also, do you have issues finding good butchers? The standard pork ribs are so shit, they barely have any meat on them. I'm trying to find a good butcher that can get me some nice baby back ribs with plenty of meat on them, I've heard Costco has really good ones but it's a bit of a trek for me, think I'll try a local chinese butcher first

beave

Coach
I've been doing smoked pork ribs on the weber kettle for some time now, did a batch with the SBR BBQ sauce the other day, it came out ok but probably thanks to the rub I had put on earlier. Just curious as to what rub/sauce you use and whether you're using the 3-2-1 method?

Yeah the 3-2-1 method is good, it works really well (I have done it with my mates offset smoker)

I have a vertical smoker that can use either gas or charcoal. I’ve used it a few times but unfortunatley the ribs in the lower rack get cooked a lot quicker than the top ones (obviously) i will invest in a decent offset smoker probably i a year or 2.

For the rubs i use these ones that I got over in the states. I like the applewood rub the most tbh

C53E1E0D-999E-4014-90AC-43E987A69F1B_zpswv9lxo04.jpg

When you prep your ribs, make sure you take the membrane off it (i use a facetowel to grip it, makes it a lot easier to grasp) and then coat the ribs with Frenchs (the brand) mustard. It gives the ribs a nice flavour and acts as a glue for the rub to stick to.

Side note, I’m doing a 4kg pork shoulder today on my weberQ, I’ll chuck some pics up tonight.

simmo05

Bench

Beaves Buffalo Bar......
Do it. Learn as you go, it is amazing how many people are crying out for a pub meal that is not just the typical shit served everywhere, but dont want to eat proper wanky shit.

Zadar

Juniors
Thanks for the tips mate, I'm still a novice so sounds like I need to invest in better charcoal and wood chunks. Any good suppliers other than out in the farms?

Also, do you have issues finding good butchers? The standard pork ribs are so shit, they barely have any meat on them. I'm trying to find a good butcher that can get me some nice baby back ribs with plenty of meat on them, I've heard Costco has really good ones but it's a bit of a trek for me, think I'll try a local chinese butcher first

Costco do have good pork ribs, their beef short ribs are sensational too, I did find that Aldi had really good pork ribs really cheap, not as meaty as Costco but just buy an extra packet.

With all the effort that people go to to make the ribs or wings, it’s a shame they ruin it with store bought rubs or sauce.

Rub, anything you like,
Mine is roughly, salt,pepper,garlic,smoked paprika. If I want it sweeter I add brown sugar and honey.

Sauce- bottle of tomato sauce, 1/3 Cup apple cider vinegar, 1 orange, crushed garlic, honey, salt,pepper, Dijon mustard.

Very basic stuff, most of it is in every cupboard, leftover sauce I bottle up and use later. Adjust taste for rub and sauce as you go. So much better than store bought for very little effort.

beave

Coach
Did 2 bits of pork last night on the weberQ. Turned out pretty good, had a few flare ups which resulted in me running out to the patio like Carl Lewis circa 1988.

3D58BD52-CE97-460D-890A-D4DC2728E4F0_zps8j5rdu87.jpg

Over catered deluxe. i love it when you invite 12 people around and only 6 decide to show up.......

Last edited:

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Did 2 bits of pork last night on the weberQ. Turned out pretty good, had a few flare ups which resulted in me running out to the patio like Carl Lewis circa 1988.

3D58BD52-CE97-460D-890A-D4DC2728E4F0_zps8j5rdu87.jpg

Over catered deluxe. i love it when you invite 12 people around and only 6 decide to show up.......
Can you send me a pic of that meat? Looks delicious!

Would I be able to send it to a 3-D printer and cook up an instant meal.......

Got me again Beave.....absolutely starving.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I cook a lot on the BBQ but I vary it quiet a lot, not the traditional stuff but a lot of different types of meat and quiet often seafood. I've dont the roasts like Beave has but generally small ones so they are not black on the outside and red raw in the middle.

I also do a lot of veggies, I made a wire basket and roast a lot of veggies but you have to keep turning them a lot but its just a matter of shaking the wire basket every few minutes.

The most important thing for mine is the fuel, never use gas and only specif types of charcoal and have the flames just touching or just below the meat. Slow cooking is obviously different as you have the fuel up one end.

This time of the year I probabaly BBQ about 4 - 5 times a week.