What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HASLER

hewi

Bench
I would have Hasler in a heart beat before McGregor however I do wonder how he let Kasiano play at 135 kg when the Storm already have him down to 115 and looking ripped. I reckon he will play longer minutes and rip many teams apart.

possm

Coach
I would have Hasler in a heart beat before McGregor however I do wonder how he let Kasiano play at 135 kg when the Storm already have him down to 115 and looking ripped. I reckon he will play longer minutes and rip many teams apart.
As we all have seen in the past, even though a coach indicates his preferences to a player, it does not always translate that those preferences are carried out.

possm

Coach
Those who equate Mary's ability to Hasler's record are kidding themselves. Hasler has proven himself time and time again. Mary has snuck into the finals once.
For a coach to do well any season in the NRL, many things need to line up in his favour starting with his ability and experience, the quality of his playing squad and his ability to get his team up for every game. Of course luck, the 50/50 decisions, his relationship with his players and indeed his relationship with his Club will have a great bearing on the ability to field a competitive team each week.

KiamaSaint

Coach
For a coach to do well any season in the NRL, many things need to line up in his favour starting with his ability and experience, the quality of his playing squad and his ability to get his team up for every game. Of course luck, the 50/50 decisions, his relationship with his players and indeed his relationship with his Club will have a great bearing on the ability to field a competitive team each week.
Absolutely and the dogs did not do Hasler any favours in 2017. The knives were out for Dessie at the end of 2016. Mortimer was not the only director wanting Dessie gone.

Gareth67

First Grade
Absolutely and the dogs did not do Hasler any favours in 2017. The knives were out for Dessie at the end of 2016. Mortimer was not the only director wanting Dessie gone.

Your right there KiamaSaint , the Bulldogs screwed their season from the start of the year. We all know some of what occurred, but it must had been so disheartening for Hasler not to have the full support of the board . That plus the team itself imploding as a direct result of the boards fiddling around - sounds somewhat familiar . Ray Dib should had been shown the door also , but thats a bit hard to do when your the chap who opens and closes the bluudy thing .

Last edited:
I like Des as a coach and would welcome him with open arms at St.George during this stage of our clubs development as he's very good at building a team from scratch, putting a team together and getting them to believe in him, what he's doing and he will take them to great heights. However, I've definitely come to the conclusion that he's not a long term coach at any club for that very reason, he's definitely a coach in the moment. He builds a team from scratch and has the success that we've all seen but has no eye on the future and as soon as his crop have moved on or the core of his team have retired or disbanded, his time is done and he can't handle those in-between years of rebuilding. We've seen this happen with him now at two clubs. Building a team around an ageing Brett Morris was not a stoke of genius as much as it was a grasp at desperation.

Although he'd be great for St.George as we are today with (what I believe) is the first year of a new era for Saints, I'd fear that in 5 years time when Graham has gone, Widdop is at his end and Hunt is running on tired legs that he's gonna struggle and will not have built for the future and even if we do win a premiership in that time, we'll be back to where we were post Bennett when Des inevitably leaves us.

What I'd like to see is the club bring in Des as a coaching director, someone who's not the head coach but is there to coach the coach. I think Mary would benefit big time from having someone who's been there and done it show him how to mentor his team and that'd be a much better long time solution.

I like Des as a coach and would welcome him with open arms at St.George during this stage of our clubs development as he's very good at building a team from scratch, putting a team together and getting them to believe in him, what he's doing and he will take them to great heights. However, I've definitely come to the conclusion that he's not a long term coach at any club for that very reason, he's definitely a coach in the moment. He builds a team from scratch and has the success that we've all seen but has no eye on the future and as soon as his crop have moved on or the core of his team have retired or disbanded, his time is done and he can't handle those in-between years of rebuilding. We've seen this happen with him now at two clubs. Building a team around an ageing Brett Morris was not a stoke of genius as much as it was a grasp at desperation.

Although he'd be great for St.George as we are today with (what I believe) is the first year of a new era for Saints, I'd fear that in 5 years time when Graham has gone, Widdop is at his end and Hunt is running on tired legs that he's gonna struggle and will not have built for the future and even if we do win a premiership in that time, we'll be back to where we were post Bennett when Des inevitably leaves us.

What I'd like to see is the club bring in Des as a coaching director, someone who's not the head coach but is there to coach the coach. I think Mary would benefit big time from having someone who's been there and done it show him how to mentor his team and that'd be a much better long time solution.
Yet another mentor for McGregor?
He is surrounded by mentors and that will never make him a top line coach.
He has the blind and full support of the Board and every one of them is trying to convince themselves that eventually McGregor will turn out to be a great coach.
In the meantime we are wasting time when we actually have a decent roster for a change.
At no stage has there ever been any objectivity when it comes to McGregor and his tenure.
Either make Hasler the coach (who doesn't need a mentor/crutch) and get rid of McGregor OR hire another top liner and get rid of McGregor.
Either way we have to get McGregor out of the most important role in the club.
He just isn't up to scratch - never has been, never will be.

John moz

Juniors
Yep another season with a coach that just cant get the team to perform .Any coach would be better than mary
.Asap new coach before season starts would benefit signing hasler now that our roster is complete even just for 2 years mary as water boy .

KiamaSaint

Coach
Yes, SGI snuck into the 2015 semi finals with a 50% win/loss ratio. Apparently, this is good enough to earn a new coaching contract.
And you might remember Manly "performed" poorly for the last few rounds famously losing to Parra among others and we took a large lead against the Tigers in the final round only to be run down and scrape through in golden point.

Pro Dragons

Juniors
Outside of Hasler are there any notable coaches looking for a club? The way things stand at the moment I'd stick with Mary in 2018 and give Bellamy the keys to the club to get him here in 2019.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I'd settle for the Mad Professor or the Angry Ant rather than the knobheaded anchor! It won't happen though and either will Bellamy, the corridors of power will find ways to stuff it up and promote from the old boys brigade pecking order.

BennyV

Referee
Outside of Hasler are there any notable coaches looking for a club? The way things stand at the moment I'd stick with Mary in 2018 and give Bellamy the keys to the club to get him here in 2019.
Maguire and Demetriou come to mind.

Latest posts