What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your RD 1 2018 line up

mxlegend99

Referee
No surprise really.

Wallace was captaining the side all of last year. At least on the field anyway.
Aside from those games he didnt play and where even Mitch Rein made us look better. Wallace was terrific in 2016. But he declined considerably in 2017.

I think Katoa is an average player. But hes better than Wallace at this stage of their careers and he should only improve with experience. Wallace busts his ass. But his body lets him down and he should be phased out as Kingston was.

Captains at our club dont last long though.

mxlegend99

Referee
I'm happy to wait and see what happens. Pretty sure a similar thing happened with Kevvie Kingston a few years back, and he played his fair share or reserve grade.
Its silly to pick short term captains though. Griffin loves short term solutions to longterm problems. We're going to be looking for a new captain within 12 months.

Unless the plan is to let Yeo mature a bit and pick him. But really unlikely theres any plan in place at all.

Fangs

Coach
Aside from those games he didnt play and where even Mitch Rein made us look better. Wallace was terrific in 2016. But he declined considerably in 2017.

I think Katoa is an average player. But hes better than Wallace at this stage of their careers and he should only improve with experience. Wallace busts his ass. But his body lets him down and he should be phased out as Kingston was.

I'm in favour of Wallace being displaced by Katoa. But he was always going to be captain with Hook in charge.

If he gets a full pre-season maybe we will see him fit and playing decent footy. Unless something batshit crazy like this happens again

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/85bb076d18bf0bde46f52a7c41cb601c

Fangs

Coach
Cant believe all the negativity for Wallace here.

Last year he was about to be given a NSW jumper. Many saying he will get it this year.

Better judges than us rate him highly.

I think that says more about the hooker stocks in NSW than anything about the form of Wallace.

I like him a lot. But it would appear his time has passed.

franklin2323

Immortal
In reserve grade hes an 80 minute player carving up the edges. Griffin gave him small minutes in the middle in first grade. He was average and rather than trying to give him a chance to play to his strengths he dropped him.

Watch his performance up at NQ and tell me again he didn't deserve to go. He was on his head and tried to play the ball once even.

NSW Cup teams are picked by FG coaches mostly so it was probably a combined effort to get him in the backrow.

He was ordinary v NZ and Aust in the WC. The likes of USA are NSW Cup standard at best so the jury is out as to how well he will go in FG. That said I'd play him atleast the 1st 5 weeks to give him a decent run

Kilkenny

Coach
Like many I share concerns about Peter Wallace's body/fitness to endure another tough season in the top grade but at the end of the day I have no real issues about him being appointed Club Captain.

Given how Matt Moylans disastrous reign turned out the Coach was never going to appoint the likes of Isaah Yeo even if he is an entirely different personality and certainly much more mature that Matt Moylan ever was.

Kilkenny

Coach
Watch his performance up at NQ and tell me again he didn't deserve to go. He was on his head and tried to play the ball once even.

NSW Cup teams are picked by FG coaches mostly so it was probably a combined effort to get him in the backrow.

He was ordinary v NZ and Aust in the WC. The likes of USA are NSW Cup standard at best so the jury is out as to how well he will go in FG. That said I'd play him atleast the 1st 5 weeks to give him a decent run

I think at least part of the reason bench players who are given limited minutes may make mistakes such as handling errors is simply the pressure they are under to perform. The only game last season where Kikau got good game time was away against the Knights and he was very good that day. His extended game time was forced by injury when Wallace went off injured after ten minutes or so.

TheFrog

Coach
Wallace carried injuries throughout last year. If he can stay healthy, he's right up there. Cam Smith has shown life doesn't end at 30.

hindy111

Post Whore
Coach didn't allow him to deliver in 2017. Not the players fault. Kikau and Leota were both poorly used in there limited opportunities.

Your side had that many defensive weakness that Kikau missed out due toBrown being a better defender.
Even Gillard misses far to many tackles for a middle forward.

hindy111

Post Whore
After the first 8 weeks people had Wallace as the no 9 for NSW. He is 32 and if fit a reliable player. He was busted the back half of last season.

mxlegend99

Referee

Did you even watch the games?

He was a beast in every game he played. Sure he was more destructive against the shit sides. But he was still a force against the supposed best forward packs in the world. He belonged there.

Compare his world cup performances against Australia to any rep game Merrin or Tamou ever played for Australia.... he was better than them.

How the f**k was he ordinary? What exactly do you expect from him? Why arent those same expectations placed on our other players? He went from reserve grade to playing against Australian and Kiwi forward packs and more than held his own.

Meanwhile our superstar rep signings (Mez and Tamou) who played for Australia were soft as f**k against weaker nations sides.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

And that's what I think will happen, it will be a Kingston Mark2. Wal me, I had huge issues with him when he left the club for Uncle Wayne's huge salary hat and the delights of Brisvegas. I wasn't really thrilled when he was signed to come back either.

Boy since becomming a hooker has he made me eat egg, (as my face is splattered with it). He has the toughness Penrith so desperately need in a Captain, his work ethics is amazing to the point of extreme.

Is he the long term solution. NO. But in saying that his emotional stability and toughness will do a job for the team in the short term.

Eventually I can see Yeo being Captain. I think though the club is now super wary of youngish players who make their debut with Penrith becomming captain. With 2 younger players under 2 different coaches I will put it down to each players lack of maturity and ego rather than the club.

So Wal to me is the logical choice. Boring perhaps but logical.

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors
And that's what I think will happen, it will be a Kingston Mark2. Wal me, I had huge issues with him when he left the club for Uncle Wayne's huge salary hat and the delights of Brisvegas. I wasn't really thrilled when he was signed to come back either.

Boy since becomming a hooker has he made me eat egg, (as my face is splattered with it). He has the toughness Penrith so desperately need in a Captain, his work ethics is amazing to the point of extreme.

Is he the long term solution. NO. But in saying that his emotional stability and toughness will do a job for the team in the short term.

Eventually I can see Yeo being Captain. I think though the club is now super wary of youngish players who make their debut with Penrith becomming captain. With 2 younger players under 2 different coaches I will put it down to each players lack of maturity and ego rather than the club.

So Wal to me is the logical choice. Boring perhaps but logical.

I thought he left because Gower said he wasn't going to leave, which left Pete out on his ear and he got a gig up there in Brissy.

Then Gower came out weeks later and said yeah nah i'm going to rahh rahh bye byee

franklin2323

Immortal
Did you even watch the games?

He was a beast in every game he played. Sure he was more destructive against the shit sides. But he was still a force against the supposed best forward packs in the world. He belonged there.

Compare his world cup performances against Australia to any rep game Merrin or Tamou ever played for Australia.... he was better than them.

How the f**k was he ordinary? What exactly do you expect from him? Why arent those same expectations placed on our other players? He went from reserve grade to playing against Australian and Kiwi forward packs and more than held his own.

Meanwhile our superstar rep signings (Mez and Tamou) who played for Australia were soft as f**k against weaker nations sides.

If we want a benchie to hold his own. McKendry or Browne have less errors in them. The aim would be to give him one or 2 15 min stints to cause mayhem. The Kikau we saw on GF day v PNG and the Kikau we saw v NZ were totally different players.

Different tactics granted but the aim will be to come and hit hard and a few line breaks and go back off. He will start the year on the bench whether he does enough to keep it is all up to him

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
Kikau was literally Fiji's best player against Australia and New Zealand.

His post contact metres against tier one nation players was insane. Not just against trash pub teams...quality, experienced international players.

If Griffin uses him right, Kikau, Yeo and CHN will single handedly rip teams apart.

franklin2323

Immortal
Kikau was literally Fiji's best player against Australia and New Zealand.

His post contact metres against tier one nation players was insane. Not just against trash pub teams...quality, experienced international players.

If Griffin uses him right, Kikau, Yeo and CHN will single handedly rip teams apart.

Needs to get Peachey and Bryce going too. Only is 17 spots

Waqa Blake back will come in. If we decide Whare is the other centre. Then Peachey is on the bench. Maloney and May straight swap.

Means someone else needs to drop out of the team that played in the semi for him to play. That should be Katoa but the pressure is on those 17 to hold form. Kikau and CHN have shown they can make a mistake so for me would be the most under pressure.

Latest posts