What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast Bears/Nth Sydney/Gosford

Perth Red

Post Whore
You have conveniently forgotten its Sydney and Wollongong with NRL clubs . Two major NSW cities and you discount the Illawarra. Under your logic 8.5 NRL clubs reside in Sydney teams. You can put up as much of a facade as you like PR. You will if going down your path is adopted, destroy the code and strength in Australias largest city and the largest capital city that happens to proclaim rugby league as its main game? Your logic would prove disastrous and ultimately see the code fall like pack of cards elsewhere included. You continually ignore the attractiveness of Sydney based clubs to fans outside of Sydney! But you don't care. I've been warned about your dribble and it is just that DRIBBLE! It's tiring as well. I suspect you may be a plant from another code! ? You are advocating disaster for this great code and continue to do. so.

Its irrelevant they are part represent a regional area in the context of St George also trying to get fans and sponsors from the Sydney market and competing with the other Sydney Teams in this.

The stark reality you want to ignore is that an oversaturation of clubs in Sydney is causing a conservatism in the NRL around growing the game and expanding. The NRL only has a set amount of pie to slice. Existing clubs don't want the pie slicing thinner. NRL is concerned that giving starving clubs less pie will see them fall over and have to be bailed out. We can dream of a 24 club comp so we can grow to where the game needs to be as much as we like but there is zero evidence this will ever be anything more than a dream/ SO we stay as is or we take some action to create space to expand. I want to expand, you want to stay as is. Neither of us are in charge of that decision lol

If I was the AFL the last thing I would want to see is the NRL growing in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. Sounds to me like you are the AFL plant who can see that the current mire of Sydney is causing the NRL to be stuck in any growth opportunity. Status quo plays very nicely into AFL hands who don't have to worry about a backyard fight when the NRL cant get out of its own yard.

Stallion

First Grade
Sadly the amount of pathetic crowds at Sydney suburban grounds is evidence enough that fans don't agree with you and would rather stay home.

Nine clubs in Melbourne, we've established Geelong is not a suburb of Melbourne anymore than Newcastle is a suburb of Sydney! And those nine Melbourne clubs face the same issues as NRL's oversaturation with 3 or 4 of them simply not viable and only surviving due to being propped up by the other clubs.

Take a look at grant distributions, which are based on clubs ability to generate its own income. After the expansion areas the next on the list are Melbourne clubs effected by oversaturation. Basically out of the top ten struggling clubs in 2016 4 were expansion clubs and all but one of the rest where Melbourne clubs despite this being the heart of the game and all the tradition in the world. Kind of tells you something! Sydney and Melbourne are the same, a handful of the strongest clubs in the comp and the rest struggling due to oversaturation and not enough fans or corporates.

1. GWS Giant 21,548,374 (Exp)
2. St Kilda 18,566,589 (Melb)
3. Brisbane Lions 17,532,922 (Exp)
4. Gold Coast Suns 17,194,594 (Exp)
5. Western Bulldogs 17,610,181 (Melb)
6. North Melbourne 15,022,303 (Melb)
7. Melbourne 14,799,452 (Melb)
8. Port Adelaide 13,206,665
9. Sydney Swans 12,488,957 (Exp)
10. Richmond 12,358,925 (Melb)

So the nearly 60000 that turned up to Easts v Souths club game in 2013 was an aberation. The game has not tapped into its massive potential in Sydney and elsewhere. And the tv audiences are not real.And the massive crowds that have admired and turned up to other games are fiction? Amazingly you still can't accept that additional clubs can be introduced. You're an ignorant disgrace PR.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Its irrelevant they are part represent a regional area in the context of St George also trying to get fans and sponsors from the Sydney market and competing with the other Sydney Teams in this.

The stark reality you want to ignore is that an oversaturation of clubs in Sydney is causing a conservatism in the NRL around growing the game and expanding. The NRL only has a set amount of pie to slice. Existing clubs don't want the pie slicing thinner. NRL is concerned that giving starving clubs less pie will see them fall over and have to be bailed out. We can dream of a 24 club comp so we can grow to where the game needs to be as much as we like but there is zero evidence this will ever be anything more than a dream/ SO we stay as is or we take some action to create space to expand. I want to expand, you want to stay as is. Neither of us are in charge of that decision lol

Their is no over saturation. That's your ignorant call. Not mine. You peddle a path and don't see how it hurts the code. You have no feel for the code, culture, history and business mathematics. You don't understand the tyranny of distance and the geography of Sydney. Yet you continue your destructive stance. PATHETIC!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Of course there is, nine teams in one city whilst other cities have zero or are under represented means oversaturation. Financial performances of some of those nine teams, limited fan attendance, small membership bases, small revenue streams. The evidence is there if you want to look for it. The distance between parra and bankstown is 10kms for FFS, how is that not oversaturated? How many current Sydney NRL clubs are more than 30kms away from ANZ, Allianz or Parra stadium? 30kms is not far to travel to watch sport! I get Sydney is a pretty sht city and the infrastructure sucks more than any other city in Australia but seriously nine clubs in one city? lol

Your pro AFL stance of blocking NRL growth into AFL markets speaks volumes about which game you really care about. You're right, PATHETIC.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Of course there is, nine teams in one city whilst over cities have zero or are under represented means oversaturation. Financial performances of some of those nine teams, limited fan attendance, small membership bases, small revenue streams. The evidence if there if you want to look for it.

Your pro AFL stance of blocking NRL growth into AFL markets speaks volumes about which game you really care about. You're right, PATHETIC.

Your stance would be well and truelly be advocated by the AFL as it would destroy the great code of rugby league as a mainstream sport in Australia. Absolutely reckless and ignorant and yet you keep at it just like others have warned me!

Have it your way then! Implode the game. Destroy its familiarity and historical advantage, rid the many fans that support these established clubs along with their cultural significance. We have proof of the damage the game has suffered in North Sydney already established that you ignore. Go for it PR. Burn the shed! Forget the rich history and the standing of these clubs within their communities Forget that expansion can occur with additional clubs. Forget the embarrassment to the code from neutral fans. Forget the massive loss in established tv audience as a result of less top flight clubs in Australias largest city. Yes PR! GO ON YOUR MERRY DESTRUCTIVE WAY. Your diabolical logic is consistent with what I've been told.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Have it your way then! Implode the game. Destroy its familiarity and historical advantage, rid the many fans that support these established clubs along with their cultural significance. We have proof of the damage the game has suffered in North Sydney already established that you ignore. Go for it PR. Burn the shed! Forget the rich history and the standing of these clubs within their communities Forget that expansion can occur with additional clubs. Forget the embarrassment to the code from neutral fans. Forget the massive loss in established tv audience as a result of less top flight clubs in Australias largest city. Yes PR! GO ON YOUR MERRY DESTRUCTIVE WAY. Your diabolical logic is consistent with what I've been told.

And yet none of this catastrophe has occurred with Sydney going from 11 to 8.5 in last 20 years. Arguably the game has picked up more fans and money having Melbourne in the comp than it lost in NS or the mergers.

I've always said IF the NRL can expand and sustain what it has all well and good.
Now you look at it from my point of view. If it cant would you:
A) Rather see no new growth in the NRL and stick with what we have for the foreseeable future
B) Relegate, relocate or merge a Sydney club or two to allow us to capitalise on the value and growth in other markets that expansion will bring.

Stallion

First Grade
And yet none of this catastrophe has occurred with Sydney going from 11 to 8.5 in last 20 years. Arguably the game has picked up more fans and money having Melbourne in the comp than it lost in NS or the mergers.

I've always said IF the NRL can expand and sustain what it has all well and good.
Now you look at it from my point of view. If it cant would you:
A) Rather see no new growth in the NRL and stick with what we have for the foreseeable future
B) Relegate, relocate or merge a Sydney club or two to allow us to capitalise on the value and growth in other markets that expansion will bring.

What a load of bullshit! The code has lost fans! Its lost junior numbers. Its lost respect and a strong regard throughout Sydney. The ratings are not commensurate with the population increases. And you assert that rugby league has gained more fans!? Amazing. Your are not only ignorant! You are dumb. So you decrease in number the top flight clubs recognition and familiarity to fans which necessarily dilutes the supporter base (ie Bears,Magpies, Balmain, Illawarra).And purport that the code has gained fans! You are a lunatic!

Stallion

First Grade
I dont think you know what "Exponential" means....

Do you really want 30+ clubs in the NRL?

Seriously, do you want 30+ teams? How many teams is the right amount?

I don't think you know what "exponential growth" means. I will provide the definition for you if you like? Or perhaps you found out that exponential growth is whatvis gained from existing presence being added to? That is exponential growth!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ok insults out of the way (and tbh I cant be arsed to go into the increase in crowd avg, TV audience, NRL revenue, Broadcast value etc etc to prove you wrong since 1995) , now answer the question

If the NRL can not go beyond 16 clubs would you rather see
A) no new growth in the NRL and stick with what we have for the foreseeable future
B) Relegate, relocate or merge a Sydney club or two to allow us to capitalise on the value and growth in other markets that expansion will bring

Come on, A or B ?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't think you know what "exponential growth" means. I will provide the definition for you if you like? Or perhaps you found out that exponential growth is whatvis gained from existing presence being added to? That is exponential growth!

Are you really a teacher? Exponential growth means a rapidly increasing growth, is that really what you meant? If so please explain it in the context of NRL expansion lol

Stallion

First Grade
Are you really a teacher? Exponential growth means a rapidly increasing growth, is that really what you meant? If so please explain it in the context of NRL expansion lol

Have another look dodo! Exponential growth occurs whereby a present/existing factor (in this context club) is added to. If you reduce clubs you are inhibiting/stopping exponential growth. For example, the Brisbane Broncos if they were not so greedy would seek an exponential growth of the code with another club in Brisbane. Another quick one in the case of North Sydney in the Central Coast. If they were to be back in the top flight their would be a regaining of an established area as well as an exponential gain of the another area namely the Central Coast. Thats exponential growth. Look up implosion thats your logic!

Perth Red

Post Whore
A) no new growth in the NRL and stick with what we have for the foreseeable future
B) Relegate, relocate or merge a Sydney club or two to allow us to capitalise on the value and growth in other markets that expansion will bring

Come on, A or B ?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Have another look dodo! Exponential growth occurs whereby a present/existing factor (in this context club) is added to. If you reduce clubs you are inhibiting/stopping exponential growth. For example, the Brisbane Broncos if they were not so greedy would seek an exponential growth of the code with another club in Brisbane. Another quick one in the case of North Sydney in the Central Coast. If they were to be back in the top flight their would be a regaining of an established area as well as an exponential gain of the another area namely the Central Coast. Thats exponential growth. Look up implosion thats your logic!

haha that's not what it means! It means a rapid and expanding growth. So if the NRL had one club expansion in 10 years, then brought in two clubs, then in 3 years brought in 4 more clubs then in another 3 years brought in 6 more clubs you would say the growth was exponential. Adding one club in Brisbane is not exponential growth dodo.

Stallion

First Grade
haha that's not what it means! It means a rapid and expanding growth. So if the NRL had one club expansion in 10 years, then brought in two clubs, then in 3 years brought in 4 more clubs then in another 3 years brought in 6 more clubs you would say the growth was exponential. Adding one club in Brisbane is not exponential growth dodo.

Read it again dodo. It can lead to rapid growth. Adding to an existing club is exponential growth. I'm advocating exponential growth with existing clubs being the in place 'factor'. The additional clubs elsewhere are the exponential growth clubs. Mind you this would be over an elongated and measured timeframe. It certainly does not involve reducing/ decreasing existing club presence which you so fervently and mistakenly propose.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Read it again dodo. It can lead to rapid growth. Adding to an existing club is exponential growth. I'm advocating exponential growth with existing clubs being the in place 'factor'. The additional clubs elsewhere are the exponential growth clubs. Mind you this would be over an elongated and measured timeframe. It certainly does not involve reducing/ decreasing existing club presence which you so fervently and mistakenly propose.

You really dontt understand the meaning of exponential lol

Now how about this

Come on, A or B ?

Stallion

First Grade
You really dontt understand the meaning of exponential lol

Now how about this

Come on, A or B ?

Stop at your first sentence! The NRL has and can if really smart, will add clubs. They have done so by stealth with the Gold Coast and South Sydney. Its not set in stone champ like you seem to enthusiastically repeat ad nausium. I stand by the use of exponential growth in the context I have used. Its valid and appropriate. You have learnt a word and yet you will fail and go to the naughty corner like you have done when you have been wrong before. You have a track record that I have been warned about. Good night!

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Horses for courses mate! The geography of Melbourne is totally different to Sydney's. They have a centralized transport system that far outperforms Sydney. Sydney is completely different to travel in. I spoke to a guy from Melbourne and he actually likes the fact you can attend a suburban ground to watch the NRL in Sydney. It has cultural and atmospere laden pluses you don't understand . The fact remains there are 10 AFL clubs in Melbourne and 9 NRL clubs in Sydney and Wollongong with at least a million more potential fans in the Sydney/Wollongong area. Figure it out! Then again you have plenty of time to refute reality and the numbers plus cultural significance? So I doubt you will!

So you fawn over Melbourne, but you just cherrypick the bits that suit you...

Its easy when you can just invent reality.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
So the nearly 60000 that turned up to Easts v Souths club game in 2013 was an aberation. The game has not tapped into its massive potential in Sydney and elsewhere. And the tv audiences are not real.And the massive crowds that have admired and turned up to other games are fiction? Amazingly you still can't accept that additional clubs can be introduced. You're an ignorant disgrace PR.

The fact you need to cherrypick an event game from 4 years ago rather than produce a recent average shows that these big sydney crowds are not normal.

But, putting that aside, where was this game played? Redfern, Brooky or Leichhardt? Did the fans flock to the culture and history? Of course not, this was played at ANZ and the game was 40k fans larger for it.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Is that your definition?

And you say you are a teacher??

Stallion

First Grade
Is that your definition?

And you say you are a teacher??

Certainly do and I can quote the source you idiot! I have worded the definition for you in context but you still can't decipher it. Back to school for you Mr Implosion! You just stick with your implosion strategy. That will surely do rugby league no end of disaster! You will probably defend the logic when disaster overwhelms the code in Australia. That's your type of "support" for rugby league. Purely reckless and ignorant. To the naughty corner for you Mr Implosion!

Last edited: