What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fitzy's league Sledge

I find it ironic that a guy who, on one page, will wax lyrical about the virtues of the Australian spirit with such well-worn stereotypes like "our broad mistrust of the elites who would seek to rule over us, to our wide embrace of egalitarianism and insistence on a ‘fair go, mate'"
will, on the next page, sneer condescendingly at the sport who's very genesis was one fundamentally based on egalitarianism and giving the players (see workers) a fair go, mate. All while he fawns over a sport that is largely confined to the milieu of the elites who would seek to rule over us.

Spot on.

The bloke is a cock sucker.

Peter FitzSimons
Peter FitzSimons is a journalist with The Sydney Morning Herald and Sun-Herald. He is also a regular TV commentator, a former radio presenter (very successfully, with Mike Carlton on Radio 2UE) and is also a former national representative rugby union player.

Peter is the author of over 20 books - including Tobruk, Kokoda, Batavia, Mawson and the Ice Men of the Heroic Age and biographies of Nancy Wake‚ Kim Beazley‚ Nick Farr-Jones‚ Les Darcy, Steve Waugh and John Eales.

Peter is Australia's biggest-selling non-fiction author of the last ten years.

Peter was named a Member of the Order of Australia for service to literature as a biographer, sports journalist and commentator, and to the community through contributions to conservation, disability care, social welfare and sporting organisations.

He lives with his wife, Lisa Wilkinson, and their three children in Sydney.

https://www.dymocks.com.au/authors/peter-fitzsimons

axl rose

Bench
Peter FitzSimons

Peter is the author of over 20 books - including Tobruk, Kokoda, Batavia, Mawson and the Ice Men of the Heroic Age

Really should have given it up after Kokoda. Toburk was cliched, over-dramatic and vague. What a mess.

Actual footage from Fitz HQ

f7cjy68.gif

Peter FitzSimons
Peter FitzSimons is a journalist with The Sydney Morning Herald and Sun-Herald. He is also a regular TV commentator, a former radio presenter (very successfully, with Mike Carlton on Radio 2UE) and is also a former national representative rugby union player.

Peter is the author of over 20 books - including Tobruk, Kokoda, Batavia, Mawson and the Ice Men of the Heroic Age and biographies of Nancy Wake‚ Kim Beazley‚ Nick Farr-Jones‚ Les Darcy, Steve Waugh and John Eales.

Peter is Australia's biggest-selling non-fiction author of the last ten years.

Peter was named a Member of the Order of Australia for service to literature as a biographer, sports journalist and commentator, and to the community through contributions to conservation, disability care, social welfare and sporting organisations.

He lives with his wife, Lisa Wilkinson, and their three children in Sydney.

https://www.dymocks.com.au/authors/peter-fitzsimons

I read that and immediately threw up a little in my mouth.

Suitman

Post Whore
Fitzballbag is on his f**king high horse again today about the stadium issue.
Here is the article so you lot don't have to give him or his shitty newspaper any clicks.

KNOCK KNOCK: STADIUM JOKE

The #StadiumSplurge stuff just gets better and better! Last week, if I do say so myself, TFF demolished the so-called "business case" for knocking down two perfectly good stadiums and rebuilding them for $2 billion. Infrastructure NSW was firm on the subject of re-doing the SFS: "There was no economic benefit to the state of NSW." And the NSW government' own cabinet minute, as noted by The Oz, "pointed out that the benefit-cost ratio for the projects was well under 1, meaning they would not generate more money than their cost to the state's economy."

(I have since been reliably informed by an insider that the ratio is the astonishingly low, 0.6). Since that time, the Premier Gladys Berejiklian has maintained her radio silence, and not tried to defend her ludicrous assertion that, despite those established facts, the new stadiums would annually generate an extra billion dollars, paying for themselves in two years. And though the Sports Minister, Stuart Ayres, has tweeted to TFF that we need the new stadiums to generate the money to pay for new hospitals – "trickle-down stadium economics," Twitter called it – he, too, has gone off air since I asked for figures to back it up. I humbly assert it is because here are no such figures. It is a demonstrable nonsense.

And no matter how many times stadium supporters assert the old chestnut that "major sporting events pay for themselves many times over because of what they bring to the local economy," I say again: blithely repeating bullshit without any numbers to back it up does not make it so.

I have got the number-crunchers of Infrastructure NSW with me, plus the NSW Cabinet's own cabinet minute. If you have proof that they are wrong, surely we should be able to see those numbers? In their absence, nice words from Jeff Kennett, doesn't cut it.

For yes, Mr Kennett was quoted this week, saying we in NSW need the stadiums, to get the events, because they "add confidence to the community."

Seriously?

This is the best you've got to justify the expenditure? And this is what we lack in Sydney? Confidence? This is bullshit, and more and more people recognise it. And, seriously, Premier, when people from within your own government are leaking to me sensitive documents on the subject, you have to know you can only ram this through at dreadful cost. You are a good and honest politician who made your name by listening to the people. On this one the will of the people could not be more clear.

Peter FitzSimons: Not giving a word for Australian sport (clue: four letters)

Funny thing is...Victoria spent on infrastructure and went out and bought events.

They've got F1, Aust Open. They hype the MCG test and can get 50-70,000. They're buying RL showpieces in SOO and tests AND invested in giving the Storm (amongst other tenants) a beautiful fit for purpose stadium. They have an undercover stadium. They have options. They hype Melbourne Cup into a national event. The VIC govt do it because it's good business. Adelaide and Perth are now getting in on the act.

Sydney could've done all this and better but haven't. As someone e who uses the stadia weekly at least 46 weeks a year, Para, SFS and ANZ are all tired and/or wrong for purpose. At least Para is started. The SCG is a hole other than the history and the Members and Ladies stands might have history but they are old and shit and embarrassing. Oh but Bradman and Churchill took a shit here and Saints won eleven in a row (60 years ago and 20 years merged).

And if the NRL were smart, they'd invest in infrastructure in Narellen/MacArthur region for the next 50 years.

Last edited:

simmo05

Bench
Funny thing is...Victoria spent on infrastructure and went out and bought events.

They've got F1, Aust Open. They hype the MCG test and can get 50-70,000. They're buying RL showpieces in SOO and tests AND invested in giving the Storm (amongst other tenants) a beautiful fit for purpose stadium. They have an undercover stadium. They have options. They hype Melbourne Cup into a national event. The VIC govt do it because it's good business. Adelaide and Perth are now getting in on the act.

Sydney could've done all this and better but haven't. As someone e who uses the stadia weekly at least 46 weeks a year, Para, SFS and ANZ are all tired and/or wrong for purpose. At least Para is started. The SCG is a hole other than the history and the Members and Ladies stands might have history but they are old and shit and embarrassing. Oh but Bradman and Churchill took a shit here and Saints won eleven in a row (60 years ago and 20 years merged).

And if the NRL were smart, they'd invest in infrastructure in Narellen/MacArthur region for the next 50 years.
I cant believe the nrl didnt push to get a decent stadium at campbelltown. And i cant believe the wests tigers shun the one side of the jv to offer any growth

I cant believe the nrl didnt push to get a decent stadium at campbelltown. And i cant believe the wests tigers shun the one side of the jv to offer any growth

The Macarthur / Narellen / Campbelltown corridor is where all your NRL fans are.

gotta fish where the fish are.

This Fitz crap is class warfare, really.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Piece of shit makes his money writing about military history, yet he didnt have the stones to sign up? Grub of the highest order
Wasnt he a private school rugby flog? Service would have been for the public school minions

Stallion

First Grade
Wasnt he a private school rugby flog? Service would have been for the public school minions

Yep. How do you think he's got this warped , closed minded view of the world and the disdain for rugby league! ? It's part of the process. I'm pretty sure he's the type of bloke who would know about the repression of rugby league and think it's a fair thing!

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Govt made a rod for their own back with the SFs decision. It would have been very hard to argue against an ANZ rebuild as Sydneys main sporting arena and one that is very heavily used. They could have just played the "this is for the fans" card and shut him up. Bringing in a full rebuild of SFS and increasing the expense significantly is absolute political fodder for anyone wanting to take a shot at them and he is right in that it is very hard to economically justify and equally hard to make a strong case from a fans benefit point of view.

Ironically the SFS rebuild probably is the one that will benefit union the most!

Perth Red

Post Whore

This is less about venues though and more about the desire for a State Govt to increase its sporting tourism and city profile. The RLWC was a classic example of what little value NSW Govt puts on attracting major sports events. Maybe NSW Govt feels Sydney is famous enough due to its landmarks and doesn't need sports tourism?