What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Doust Retires at end of 2018 season

My biggest issue Dennis is that the merger has irradaticated all St George Dragons club history with elimination from modern day records. Gone is our 15 grand finals, minor premiership records, too point scorer, record NRL scoreline against the bullgrubs etc and now we are recorded as having 1 premiership !

We seriously need to lobby the NRL to set the record straight. We have "merged" not started a new club! Therefore the record should be 16 grand finals. The St George dragons have not disappeared but Illawarra simply added. Ironically Illawarra was a nursery to St George prior there Inclusion.

It Peeves me to the core when opposing teams tosser supporters say we have only 1 grand final on our records.

We must fix this via the NRL. Until we fix this I will never be completely satisfied with the merger.
Well said.
Your point about Illawarra is expressed better than I could.
We always had that nursery - why the name tag obligation?

Seoul Dragon

Juniors
My biggest issue Dennis is that the merger has irradaticated all St George Dragons club history with elimination from modern day records. Gone is our 15 grand finals, minor premiership records, too point scorer, record NRL scoreline against the bullgrubs etc and now we are recorded as having 1 premiership !

We seriously need to lobby the NRL to set the record straight. We have "merged" not started a new club! Therefore the record should be 16 grand finals. The St George dragons have not disappeared but Illawarra simply added. Ironically Illawarra was a nursery to St George prior there Inclusion.

It Peeves me to the core when opposing teams tosser supporters say we have only 1 grand final on our records.

We must fix this via the NRL. Until we fix this I will never be completely satisfied with the merger.

Good point and it greatly annoys me too, but not sure how far we will get in changing this as the NRL view SGI as a new and distinct club in the same way merged companies become new entities.

But in the same way a new merged company assumes the assets and liabilities and legal responsibilities of the 2 companies merged you would think SGI could assume the records and history of St George?

SaintPauli

Juniors
Well said.
Your point about Illawarra is expressed better than I could.
We always had that nursery - why the name tag obligation?
So true Dennis and it bothers me every Time I think about it. Why don't our administrators such as Doust make it a priority to get the great St George dragons team out of the moth balls cupboard! This is what we should be protesting about. Gaining our recognition back. With a change of CEO now is as good a time as any to show him/her we want this fixed.

Last edited:

Carlton

Juniors
Good point and it greatly annoys me too, but not sure how far we will get in changing this as the NRL view SGI as a new and distinct club in the same way merged companies become new entities.

But in the same way a new merged company assumes the assets and liabilities and legal responsibilities of the 2 companies merged you would think SGI could assume the records and history of St George?

There wasn't a merger, St George and Illawarra clubs still exist. What occurred was a joint venture where the two entities agreed to act together for a particular purpose. This agreement should have an exit procedure for both parties.

My understanding (I could be wrong and I am happy to be corrected) was that the NRL licence was still with St George. I think this is also one of the reasons a buyout is not so easy.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Dragons' favourite son in line for top job

Former Dragons star Mark Coyne is the early favourite to replace outgoing CEO Peter Doust at the Big Red V in 2019.

Coyne had a distinguished career on the field with the club as well as with Queensland at State of Origin level and has been a success in the business world post-football.

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2018%2F02%2F06%2F07%2F33%2FCoyne_060218_a_1000.jpg

Mark Coyne, pictured centre at a NRL promotion in 2000, is in line for the top job at the Dragons. (AAP)

Long-serving Dragons official Michael McDonald is also in contention.

Doust won't be packing his bags until the end of the year - giving the club plenty of time to come up with the new main man.

SOURCE / LINK: The Mole / https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/02/06...ne-peachey-to-join-gold-coast-titans-the-mole

Coffs dragon

Bench
Dragons' favourite son in line for top job

Former Dragons star Mark Coyne is the early favourite to replace outgoing CEO Peter Doust at the Big Red V in 2019.

Coyne had a distinguished career on the field with the club as well as with Queensland at State of Origin level and has been a success in the business world post-football.

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2018%2F02%2F06%2F07%2F33%2FCoyne_060218_a_1000.jpg

Mark Coyne, pictured centre at a NRL promotion in 2000, is in line for the top job at the Dragons. (AAP)

Long-serving Dragons official Michael McDonald is also in contention.

Doust won't be packing his bags until the end of the year - giving the club plenty of time to come up with the new main man.

SOURCE / LINK: The Mole / https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/02/06...ne-peachey-to-join-gold-coast-titans-the-mole
#OustDoust
#Coyne2join
& Michael McDonald can rejoin the Doobie Brothers!!!

Seoul Dragon

Juniors
There wasn't a merger, St George and Illawarra clubs still exist. What occurred was a joint venture where the two entities agreed to act together for a particular purpose. This agreement should have an exit procedure for both parties.

My understanding (I could be wrong and I am happy to be corrected) was that the NRL licence was still with St George. I think this is also one of the reasons a buyout is not so easy.

Thanks Carlton.
I had often wondered in this NRL context whether the terms were used interchangeably for convenience?

Interesting in that one of the usual characteristics of a JV is that it is temporary with set objectives and for, a you say, a "particular purpose".

Seems to suggest the SGI JV has a timespan?

Coffs dragon

Bench
On This Day In Rugby League

August 16, 1967 Mark Coyne born

After winning the 1987 premiership with Brisbane Brothers Mark Coyne joined St George, along with Brethren team mates such as Peter Gill, Clinton Mohr and Trevor Bailey.

Coyne went on to become one of the Dragons' favourite sons of all time over the next decade. In every one of the 207 games he played for St George (plus another 15 for the joint venture) he was the supreme professional, getting his work done with a minimum of fuss so that those around him could show their wares and talents.

His defence was always rock solid and his polished attacking skills could both create and finish tries, as New South Wales learnt to their chagrin in 1994 when he was on the end of the “miracle try” that won the Maroons the first of that year’s Origin matches.

Having made his State of Origin debut in 1990 Coyne went on to play 19 matches for Queensland, and was a mainstay of their 1995 upset series win.

1995 also saw him make his Test debut in the domestic series against New Zealand and he was part of the Kangaroos squad (which only included players under the ARL banner) that lifted the World Cup that same year.

By the time of his final international appearance in 1997 he had worn the green and gold on nine occasions.

Although Coyne appeared in three Grand Finals for St George (1992, 93 and 96) they were unable to lift the trophy and he missed the 1999 Grand Final for St George-Illawarra, and retired at the completion of that season.

Coyne played in perhaps the most fractious time in the game’s history and yet he was universally respected, A sign of his character was the fact that he donated all the proceedings of his testimonial year to a children’s charity.

Since retiring Coyne has found success in the corporate world but he also continues to give back to the game, both with his beloved Dragons and through his role as Chairman of the NRL Welfare and Education committee.

LINK:
I'll never forget when Mark Coyne donated all his 1998 earnings to a children's charity for his testimonial year at the Dragons. The bloke is a smart leader and all class with wonderful character. IMO we'll be in wonderful hands if he is successful as the next CEO.

True_Believer

Juniors
I'll never forget when Mark Coyne donated all his 1998 earnings to a children's charity for his testimonial year at the Dragons. The bloke is a smart leader and all class with wonderful character. IMO we'll be in wonderful hands if he is successful as the next CEO.

What I love is all this whinging about nepotism and jobs for the boys yet we are happy to have Coyne as CEO?

Old Timer

Coach
What I love is all this whinging about nepotism and jobs for the boys yet we are happy to have Coyne as CEO?
The difference is he wouldn't get the job because of nepotism, he would get it because of his impeccable business credentials.
The people that you refer to as whinging about nepotism do so because of the lack of impeccable credentials of old boys given jobs so more than a substantial difference in respect of Coyne.
If you haven't already have a look at Coyne's credentials then have a look at Craig Young, Dean Young, Hornby, Price, Mc Gregor, Millward and even Johnstone and any others for that matter and its chalk and cheese.
Surely you are not suggesting we shouldn't consider him because he played for us?

Coffs dragon

Bench
The difference is he wouldn't get the job because of nepotism, he would get it because of his impeccable business credentials.
The people that you refer to as whinging about nepotism do so because of the lack of impeccable credentials of old boys given jobs so more than a substantial difference in respect of Coyne.
If you haven't already have a look at Coyne's credentials then have a look at Craig Young, Dean Young, Hornby, Price, Mc Gregor, Millward and even Johnstone and any others for that matter and its chalk and cheese.
Surely you are not suggesting we shouldn't consider him because he played for us?
100% agree with OT.....there is a big difference between the Right Qualified Old Boy and the rest lining up on the gravy train. I'm sure WIN will have a big say and Mark Coyne would have to be a strong candidate based on his professional experience in the outside business world with a heart for the Dragons a bonus!

True_Believer

Juniors
Nothing to do with having played for us or his credentials outside the club. It's his involvement and history within the club that I question. Who knows what relationships have been forged in the past and what influence those relationships will have on the running of the club. It's a risk I don't want to take. The fact he was happy to continue with Mary does raise genuine doubts in my mind as to his ability to assert complete control over the board and any other powers that be operating within the confines of the club. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but continually appointing people associated with the club to positions of power will just perpetuate the pain.

From my perspective it would be better to have someone external step in where that history doesn't play any part in the direction or decisions made. For far too long there has been too much control placed in the hands of the select few. We need a fresh face with outstanding business skills who is willing to challenge the status quo and who will make the tough decisions. I just don't think Coyne is that man.

grouch

First Grade
You don't think he has impeccable credentials?
I don't. Impeccable is the wrong word - his involvement in the "Rugby League Performance Committee" has tainted whatever impeccability he might have had.

Let's open it up. Maybe if we look outside the four walls of the club we might find a candidate who has succeeded at running corporate AND sporting organisations. Who knows

Old Timer

Coach
I don't. Impeccable is the wrong word - his involvement in the "Rugby League Performance Committee" has tainted whatever impeccability he might have had.

Let's open it up. Maybe if we look outside the four walls of the club we might find a candidate who has succeeded at running corporate AND sporting organisations. Who knows
Im not suggesting we don't open it up, I was merely pushing back against Tru and explained that Coyne has impeccable credentials to be a CEO and knowing people that operate in his corporate area I can assure you he is highly sort after and extremely well respected.
If someone applies with better credentials, then that person should get the job ahead of Mark but if Mark is the best candidate then there is no nepotism involved.

TruSaint

Referee
Im not suggesting we don't open it up, I was merely pushing back against Tru and explained that Coyne has impeccable credentials to be a CEO and knowing people that operate in his corporate area I can assure you he is highly sort after and extremely well respected.
If someone applies with better credentials, then that person should get the job ahead of Mark but if Mark is the best candidate then there is no nepotism involved.

OT, i never posted that Marks credentials arent worthy.

Whilst I doubt he would come, my posts have been the opposite. CEO of a public entity worth a cap value of some 480 million. Studied whilst he played earning a meager 10k per year, and rose to the top.

Why would Mark take a CEO role in any NRL club, when they barely break even. He would also take a massive pay cut wouldn't he ?

I have posted links on a different thread in relation to this, and his rise to the top. Does he qualify, i say yes, .. will he come I sincerely doubt it.

TruSaint

Referee
My comments re Mark are under the thread... seems we have too many threads on the same topic,

Changes underway - Doust Resigns

Carlton

Juniors
Nothing to do with having played for us or his credentials outside the club. It's his involvement and history within the club that I question. Who knows what relationships have been forged in the past and what influence those relationships will have on the running of the club. It's a risk I don't want to take. The fact he was happy to continue with Mary does raise genuine doubts in my mind as to his ability to assert complete control over the board and any other powers that be operating within the confines of the club. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but continually appointing people associated with the club to positions of power will just perpetuate the pain.

From my perspective it would be better to have someone external step in where that history doesn't play any part in the direction or decisions made. For far too long there has been too much control placed in the hands of the select few. We need a fresh face with outstanding business skills who is willing to challenge the status quo and who will make the tough decisions. I just don't think Coyne is that man.

There has been years and years of jobs for the boys and unfortunately I think that credentials aren't enough. A message must be sent that the nepotism has ended and that the organisation is undergoing fundamental change. The best way to communicate that is to appoint a non St George well credentialed candidate to the CEO role. As they say perception is reality and the appointment of Coyne will always have a bit of the old boys taint about it.

I am not saying Coyne isn't qualified or that he has been part of any nepotism or questioning his integrity. I think the club needs to go in a new direction and that this needs to be made obvious to all interested parties.

BennyV

Referee
Disagree. I think the only reason he is in line is that he played for us. That's not to say that he isnt well credentialed, but more that he's an easy option for the club to chase. There would be better candidates out there.

In conclusion, IF this were to happen (and chances are its bollocks, the idiot media knowing our history with employing ex-players and putting 2 and 2 together to get 5) then it's a step in the right direction, but not far enough. As long as Michael f**king Macdonald doesnt get anywhere near the position.

Latest posts