What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
For season 2018 there are a number of players - other than Mann - who could fill the fourth spot on the bench:
Field
Robson
Nicholls
Allgood
Latimore
Lawrie
Sele
Kerr

It all depends on the game plan the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition. The fitness of key players could also determin who you have as backup for the fourth bench spot.

Unfortunately none of those you've named can be deemed as a utility player, who can play adequately at hooker, the halves, forwards or backline.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Well MENSA, if you had done some research regarding Mann, you would know that he played five eighth for most of his junior career.

Also, Bellamy only played him in the centres due the quality halves Melbourne has had for a prolonged time.

Additionally, Phil Gould tried very hard to recruit him at Penrith to play in the number 6 jumper.

He's a five eighth,. Always has been, always will be one. It's only because he's got a fair amount of skill that's seen him excel in the centres, and on the wing.

As for Hunt, I won't say much other to point out he did really well for Brisbane playing hooker.
You make some good points Jimmy , unfortunately it really depends on our head coach and I seriously don't see him trying anything close to this lineup I think we both believe there is a spot on this team for Mann and not getting splinters ........

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
You make some good points Jimmy , unfortunately it really depends on our head coach and I seriously don't see him trying anything close to this lineup I think we both believe there is a spot on this team for Mann and not getting splinters ........

While McGregor most likely won't select the above mentioned combination, it's fair to say he's stumped Dragons' fans with many of his decisions.

As for Mann, it wouldn't surprise if he gets ignored yet again.

BennyV

Referee
Sadly, I'm deadly serious.

You only have to see how McGregor has treated him since his arrival to SGI to acknowledge he's not a 'shoe in' for selection in the top 17 to play Brisbane in round one.

Some points:

1. Following his disastrous game against Cronulla a couple of seasons ago at fullback, McGregor has obdurately refused to consider him AT ALL in that role again.

2. Mann was then shafted to reserve grade for TWO MONTHS while the side continued to flounder.

3. McGregor gives him a reprieve as a last resort contingency on the wing, where he excels while becoming the team's leading try scorer.

4. Despite this, Mann fails to be selected in the round one 2017 team.

5. With McCrone CLEARLY unable to sustain consistent, good form in first grade (for the ENTIRE year), McGregor then picks Mann in another unfamiliar position (halfback). Despite an absence of a kicking game and being a little indifferent at times, Mann goes ok....but, of course, 'the coach' eventually falls back to McCrone.

I really hope Mann scores not only a round one spot, but also a permanent role for the whole 2018 season.

Given McGregor's proclivities towards conservatism, I won't be holding my breath.

Hopefully this post illustrates my OPINION clearly.

Personally, I'd have Mann at five eighth, Widdop to halfback and Hunt to hooker.
Fair enough. I would have played Mann at 5/8, Widdop at half last year, but there's no way he should be moving Hunt from the 7 jersey under any circumstances - this is the first natural halfback we've had in over a decade, I'd like to keep it that way for a bit!

We'll see how we go Round 1. IMO, Mann definitely deserves either the fullback, left wing or right centre spot, but I reckon Mary has him pinned as a utility only.

Como Connection

First Grade
Fair enough. I would have played Mann at 5/8, Widdop at half last year, but there's no way he should be moving Hunt from the 7 jersey under any circumstances - this is the first natural halfback we've had in over a decade, I'd like to keep it that way for a bit!

We'll see how we go Round 1. IMO, Mann definitely deserves either the fullback, left wing or right centre spot, but I reckon Mary has him pinned as a utility only.
Sad news for Mann if you are correct.
CC

denis preston

First Grade

Agree entirely . Paid too much money to finally have a top class halfback ( for the first time in 20 years ) only to put him in a role he has only one season's experience. His attacking qualities and his ability to plug & control our defense out wide are of a greater need to us than to replace a hooker who has been the best we have had since 2010.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Agree entirely . Paid too much money to finally have a top class halfback ( for the first time in 20 years ) only to put him in a role he has only one season's experience. His attacking qualities and his ability to plug & control our defense out wide are of a greater need to us than to replace a hooker who has been the best we have had since 2010.

You're forgetting Hearh L'estrange.

possm

Coach
Speed and lack of defensive skills on our wings and a slow centre pairing which finds it hard to adjust under a compressed defensive pattern, have been the major problem of our team for the past few years. Selecting Aitken, Macdonald and Nightingale does nothing to address this problem.

We have said it for so long, we need speed in our backline and so the sooner Mary selects centres and wingers with speed the sooner we will begin to be a top 4 threat..

Emu01

Juniors
Speed and lack of defensive skills on our wings and a slow centre pairing which finds it hard to adjust under a compressed defensive pattern, have been the major problem of our team for the past few years. Selecting Aitken, Macdonald and Nightingale does nothing to address this problem.

We have said it for so long, we need speed in our backline and so the sooner Mary selects centres and wingers with speed the sooner we will begin to be a top 4 threat..

Spot on possum: I believe Lomax and Field need to be in our backline for us to be a force. Both could be wingers in place of nightingale and Nene.. Nightingale has been great but time for some youngsters to get a start and inject some much needed speed.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Ok speed ,speed, and more speed certainly is needed but MARY won't just change everything overnight he might make 1 change probably LOMAX as he's training the house down so perhaps a backline like this
1 DUFTY
2 Lomax
3 McDonald
4 Lafai
5 Nightingale
6 Widdop
7 Hunt
I'm getting very excited Go THE BIG RED VVVVV ....this is for the donkey's game the trials anyone's guess McDonald played well in the world cup as centre so let's see

Last edited:

jak

Bench
Ok speed ,speed, and more speed certainly is needed but MARY won't just change everything overnight he might make 1 change probably LOMAX as he's training the house down so perhaps a backline like this
1 DUFTY
2 Lomax
3 McDonald
4 Lafai
5 Nightingale
6 Widdop
7 Hunt
I'm getting very excited Go THE BIG RED VVVVV ....
I could live with that backline, for the start of the season anyway,send it to mary

Crush

Coach
1 DUFTY
2 Lomax
3 McDonald
4 Lafai
5 Nightingale
6 Widdop
7 Hunt
I'm getting very excited Go THE BIG RED VVVVV ....
I like that backline. I would just swap Lomax for Mann for round 1. Give Lomax a bit of time in reserves first.

RufusRex

Post Whore
LOL .. any backline with Nightingale in it means that people are happy to have the slowest, most easily exploited defensive winger in the league ... pick him and we deserve to lose.

hewi

Bench
I feel that with both Mann and Lomax there will be constant pressure on both wingers and centres , further and wishing no one any ill, the chances of someone getting injured between now and say week 3 or 4 are reasonably high.

mickeylane

Bench
LOL .. any backline with Nightingale in it means that people are happy to have the slowest, most easily exploited defensive winger in the league ... pick him and we deserve to lose.
I don't think Nightingale will be able to hold out Lomax or MANN this year.. Nightingale will start the season but as he gets exposed he will be eventually replaced by hopefully MANN who is an excellent finisher.

hewi

Bench
I don't think Nightingale will be able to hold out Lomax or MANN this year.. Nightingale will start the season but as he gets exposed he will be eventually replaced by hopefully MANN who is an excellent finisher.

Agreed, but also feel MacDonald would want to pull his finger out. On thin ice IMO.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
So the consensus is something like this round 12
1 DUFTY.
2 Garrick
3 Lomax
4 Herbert
5 Mann
6 Widdop
7 Hunt
8 Big Red
9 McInnes
10 Vaughan
11 Sims
12 Frizell
13 De Belin
14 Au Mau
15 Host
16 leilua
17 Lawrie

Should be a team to make some serious go forward......assuming Garrick,Lomax and Herbert are flying in reserve grade our centres might well be extremely gifted try scoring ala coops and Gasnier

Last edited: