What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons vs Hull

Redhoopz

Juniors
Kerr came from the Raiders I think.

Well I think it is important to know what your opposition are doing if you want to have a proper preparation and if the opposition are fitter and more game hardened than you then don't whinge if you lose.
IMO going into Rd 1 not having played tough trials and not having your best players working hard on combinations is a mistake.
Only have to wait a little while to see which way this will pan out.
Re the mid year slump well that will dependent on selection policy, injuries and a few other things like how easily the opposition work us out if we go with the same game plan every week and the biggest issue which is where you actually sit on the table.
It will be hard to have a slump if you don't win many games early so let's see what happens because rest assured every game will count this season as competition for 5 - 8 will be intense.

I think that's McGregors biggest detriment was refusing to try something different when plan A wasn't working. He's a little too conservative for my liking.

We've got a great bunch of juniors coming through and I'm hoping they get plenty of minutes in the trials to show their worth...but then again with McGregor in charge, he's probably already got the team sheet printed for the first 5 rounds...

This Year?

Immortal
I think that's McGregors biggest detriment was refusing to try something different when plan A wasn't working. He's a little too conservative for my liking.

We've got a great bunch of juniors coming through and I'm hoping they get plenty of minutes in the trials to show their worth...but then again with McGregor in charge, he's probably already got the team sheet printed for the first 5 rounds...

Hence the fadeouts. If the kids were given game time then injuries would be much easier to cover and the incumbents would be on notice to perform. Sadly, Mary has learnt nothing since 2015.

BennyV

Referee
2nd best pack behind the cowboys didn't we steal KERR from Melbourne .I wonder if BELLAMY would have him in reserves ,I'm sure he would have been tried before now .not afraid to throw them in the deep end.:thinking: unfortunately Mary has this mental barrier if their old enough they are good enough
Came from Melbourne when he'd graduated from NYC. So last year was his first year out of u20s and considering Melbourne's pack (which is pretty damn solid in itself) I doubt that Bellamy would have promoted him before giving him the year in reserves. Bellamy knows HOW to bring players through to properly reach their potential - i.e. He wont throw them in without a succession plan.

Wildie

Juniors
So we have had to bring in Curtis Naughton from Newcastle for this game (he has played with us in the past) as an option in the backs, and there are rumours that Gareth Ellis (who retired to become Football Manager at the end of last season) may be putting his boots on for one last game!

ouryear

Juniors
It's only 29 degrees on Saturday, I was hoping for mid 30s, seeing the poor ole pommes melt like ice in front of our eyes......oh well, now we will have to play a bit.

Gareth67

First Grade
I was looking forward to this game but i fear the worst now. However, the FC fans present will be loud and do the club proud.

It shall be a good game Jack Deth , the Dragons require a team that will put on a show and I am sure that your boys will not disappoint . Plus Hull did have a few injuries that ruin their chances last week . Enjoy the beach and the decent beer and win , lose or draw you will return home with a smile on your face .

Alec's-saints

Juniors
LINK: https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/02/14/nrl-team-trial-v-hull-fc/

St George Illawarra Dragons coach Paul McGregor has named a 24-man squad to face Hull FC this Saturday, February 17 at ANZ Stadium.

The Dragons will kick-off at 5:30pm with the Wigan Warriors and South Sydney Rabbitohs clash to quickly follow thereafter.

McGregor was hoping to see several key factors from each of the 24 players named to play against Hull FC.

"It will be good to get them into a playing environment to see where their physical conditioning is after a tough pre-season and how their tactical understanding is," McGregor said.

"That, and their mental resilience as well as how they build cohesion and trust with each other. They're the main things I'm looking for."

Dragons 24-man squad to face Hull FC (alphabetical order):

Leeson Ah Mau
Euan Aitken
Mitch Allgood
Matt Dufty
Jai Field
Reuben Garrick
James Graham
Jacob Host
Ben Hunt
Josh Kerr
Tim Lafai
Jeremy Latimore
Blake Lawrie
Luciano Leilua
Zac Lomax
Kurt Mann
Cameron McInnes
Darren Nicholls
Jason Nightingale
Reece Robson
Hame Sele
Tariq Sims
Paul Vaughan
Gareth Widdop (c)

nene been dropped maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Well we'll lots of young guns .what the hells going on ,Mary you will have this forum worried .I hope all the young guns see plenty of time .KERR and lawrie named and luch as well as Robson GO THE BIG RED VVVVV young backs Garrick,Lomax and Field as well Nicholls quite surprised .

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
2018_dragons_pre_season_week_8_jordan_pereira.jpg

TEAM LISTS

ISP team: Trial v Wests Tigers
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 14 Feb 2018, 01:30 PM

St George Illawarra Intrust Super Premiership coach Mat Head has named his team to play against the Wests Tigers at Centenary Field, Albion Park on Friday, February 16.

The game will commence at 7:40pm and will consist of two 30-minute halves, with the Jersey Flegg side to play just prior to their reserve grade counterparts..

ISP team for trial v Wests Tigers:

1. Tristan Sailor
2. John Tohi
3. Matheson Johns
4. Patrick Herbert
5. Jordan Pereira
6. Jack Payne
7. Adam Clune
8. TJ Uele
9. Joe Lovodua
10. Damian Sironen
11. Ashley Nisbet
12. Jackson Ford
13. Stuart Mason
Interchange:
14. James Hasson
15. Shaun Sauni-Esau
16. Jayden Morgan
17. Cooper Purcell

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/02/14/isp-team-trial-v-wests-tigers/

getsmarty

Immortal
Jersey Flegg team: Trial v Wests Tigers
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 14 Feb 2018, 01:30 PM

St George Illawarra Jersey Flegg coach Wayne Collins has named his team to play against the Wests Tigers at Centenary Field, Albion Park on Friday, February 16.

The game will commence at 6:30pm and will consist of two 30-minute halves, with the Intrust Super Premiership side to play afterwards.

Jersey Flegg team for trial v Wests Tigers:

1. Dylan Morris
2. Sam McGann
3. Matthew Delbanco
4. Shaun Sauni-Esau
5. Dante Lusio
6. Tyler Moon
7. Jackson Willis
8. Josh Dowel
9. Hayden Lomax
10. Juvilee Samiu
11. Luke Gale
12. Jayden Morgan
13. Trent Peoples
Interchange:
14. Tyran Wishart
15. Jiye Ellis
16. Jack Cross
17. Jake Fitzgerald
18. Tom Angel
19. Bailey Dickinson
20. Ashley Dunlop

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/02/14/jersey-flegg-team-trial-v-wests-tigers/

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra Dragons coach Paul McGregor has named a 24-man squad to face Hull FC this Saturday, February 17 at ANZ Stadium.

The Dragons will kick-off at 5:30pm with the Wigan Warriors and South Sydney Rabbitohs clash to quickly follow thereafter.

McGregor was hoping to see several key factors from each of the 24 players named to play against Hull FC.

"It will be good to get them into a playing environment to see where their physical conditioning is after a tough pre-season and how their tactical understanding is," McGregor said.

"That, and their mental resilience as well as how they build cohesion and trust with each other. They're the main things I'm looking for."

Dragons 24-man squad to face Hull FC (alphabetical order):

Leeson Ah Mau
Euan Aitken
Mitch Allgood
Matt Dufty
Jai Field
Reuben Garrick
James Graham
Jacob Host
Ben Hunt
Josh Kerr
Tim Lafai
Jeremy Latimore
Blake Lawrie
Luciano Leilua
Zac Lomax
Kurt Mann
Cameron McInnes
Darren Nicholls
Jason Nightingale
Reece Robson
Hame Sele
Tariq Sims
Paul Vaughan
Gareth Widdop (c) nene been dropped maybe?

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/02/14/nrl-team-trial-v-hull-fc/

Gareth67

First Grade
Overall a decent squad, pleased to see Josh Kerr in the mix . Have been waiting for him to show his wares along with the rest of the young blokes . This is the type of match they will be able to gather good experience from , playing a E.S.L. side with a totally different style of play . It will be a good stepping stone for the juniors players in particular.
Dragons by 14 ! :dragon:

Latest posts