What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxlegend99

Referee
Oh what a surprise. She can only stay on a forum if she is an admin and can dominate with the power of one. I have a feeling Alice here was either Puss N Boots or Shorty on the old PI forums. They were apologists for the old Elliot/Leary days telling everyone who was critical of that regime that they had no idea and that everything was rosy! How'd that turn out?

I remember being told that a Kingston/Walsh/Burn/Coote spine was awesome and all the happy clappies were so keen to cheer that on and shit on anyone who disagreed. LOL what a joke. Can't handle it with the shoe on the other foot now can you darling?
It reached the top 4 under a shit coach. Hook has only ever done that once and it required Darren Lockyer to get him there.

Elliott 2010: Coote/Gordon, Burns, Walsh, Kingsto
Cleary 2014: Moylan, *,Soward, Segeyaro

*Wallace, Cartwright, Peachey, John and Smith partnered Soward in the halves that year. Although Moylan and Soward were thr real halves combination as far as playmaking went. The other half just needed to stay out of their way.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
It reached the top 4 under a shit coach. Hook has only ever done that once and it required Darren Lockyer to get him there.

Elliott 2010: Coote/Gordon, Burns, Walsh, Kingsto
Cleary 2014: Moylan, *,Soward, Segeyaro

*Wallace, Cartwright, Peachey, John and Smith partnered Soward in the halves that year. Although Moylan and Soward were thr real halves combination as far as playmaking went. The other half just needed to stay out of their way.

I have a question: Since when is this type of stuff relevent to to a thread titled 'rumoured and confirmed' ?

I'm using this as an example. But this thread if just full of stuff either in support of Griffin or bagging him. Surely this thread badly needs re-naming ?

mxlegend99

Referee
I have a question: Since when is this type of stuff relevent to to a thread titled 'rumoured and confirmed' ?

I'm using this as an example. But this thread if just full of stuff either in support of Griffin or bagging him. Surely this thread badly needs re-naming ?
How is your post anymore relevant to the thread? Ignore a post you don't like and move on. Less off topic posts that way.

I quoted and replied to a post in this thread. Which is why its relevant to this thread. This post is now also off topic. As a result of your off topic post.

mxlegend99

Referee
We finished top four in 2010 because the other top teams were either destroyed by injuries or being punished for cheating the cap.
Panthers finished second. Give Storm all their points and we're still top 4 ahead of them.

We played 4 games against top 4 teams. We won 2 of those games. We also had injury concerns in 2010.

We score 645 points. More than any team in the competition and had 156+ points for and against.

soc123_au

Staff member
2010 was fun. Listening to other teams fans getting bent out of shape about trys from kicks.

mxlegend99

Referee
One of my favorite ever moments as a Panthers supporter was in 2010. Michael Gordon setting the point scoring record for us against Rabbitohs.

I hope we see Nathan Cleary break it this season.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
2010 was fun. Listening to other teams fans getting bent out of shape about trys from kicks.

Wasn't there a lot of complaining from posters on this forum about the way Panthers were scoring nearly all their tries from kicks. I can remember it well. Even though I wasn't signed up to the forum. I used to read it reguarly.

Do some posters here on this forum have selective memory about it all now. #rosetintedwiththeageoftime.

mxlegend99

Referee
Wasn't there a lot of complaining from posters on this forum about the way Panthers were scoring nearly all their tries from kicks. I can remember it well. Even though I wasn't signed up to the forum. I used to read it reguarly.

Do some posters here on this forum have selective memory about it all now. #rosetintedwiththeageoftime.
Tries are tries.

The real issue came when Elliott listened to the critics and tried changing it up. Only rather than scoring more tries off linebreaks the points just dried up.

My memory is selective of 2010... in that I recall the highs extremely well. I rewatched those games so many times.

Smashing Souths was sensational
Our win over Bulldogs a week or two later was great too. Scores are locked up. Bulldogs in field goal range. Burns shoots out from marker and charges it down. Lewis picks up the ball. Looks for Jennings who runs and scores the match winner on the siren.

We played shit that game. Petero was sent off for a swinging arm. Only player sent off all year IIRC. But the way we won was just unreal.

Although i think we got lucky with a try in that match. Pretty sure Waterhouse scored a try that was awarded on the spot and replays showed him juggle the ball first and a Bulldogs touched it.

Easy to remember things from games you watched a few times.

OldPanther

Coach

One of my favorite ever moments as a Panthers supporter was in 2010. Michael Gordon setting the point scoring record for us against Rabbitohs.

I hope we see Nathan Cleary break it this season.

I love it.

"Everyones so negative I'm leaving!!!"

"MX says something positive"

"OMG How dare you!"

#GriffinTintedGlasses.

OldPanther

Coach
You know the carry on about Bryce being 5/8th? Walsh was the target then so it is like Tom said changes to suit the argument

How's that relevant to Gordon getting the points scoring record against lol@Souths and us not being the designated injury curse team that year? The people who cry for more positivity can't turn around and complain when they get it or they'll create the monster they so desperately dislike(Contrary to what people like to say everyone so far has positive things they say about the club)

franklin2323

Immortal
How's that relevant to Gordon getting the points scoring record against lol@Souths and us not being the designated injury curse team that year? The people who cry for more positivity can't turn around and complain when they get it or they'll create the monster they so desperately dislike(Contrary to what people like to say everyone so far has positive things they say about the club)

The tries are tries part. He copped so much due to only being able to setup tries off kicks

mxlegend99

Referee
You know the carry on about Bryce being 5/8th? Walsh was the target then so it is like Tom said changes to suit the argument
Walsh was a shitty inconsistent halfback.
Cartwright was a second rower being used out of position... although still better at being a half than Walsh.

Carty should only ever have been a mid-game decision for 6. Or at worst a game here or there if we had second tier cap issues.

He should never have been forced into becoming a semi permanent 6.

mxlegend99

Referee
The tries are tries part. He copped so much due to only being able to setup tries off kicks
I dont give Walsh credit for those tries. I give the blokes winning contest credit.

The bloke kicking it was irrelevant. If his kicks were spectacular we would have done it other seasons too.

But our second row had cdntre/second rowers like Lewis, Smith and Gordon in it. Pritchard was pretty quick. Jennings and Tighe were quick. Gordon on a wing. Coote etc. Chasing.

What team has ever been better equipped for a kick chase than that? We scored off Burns kicks. Jenko kicks. Lewis kicks. Etc. Walsh just kicked more often. He didnt do anything special. We just had a roster that turned shit into gold.

But even a shit try is 4 points. They all go on stats sheets and into record books.

Edit
And opinions can change after different events too. I mean I never liked the Hook signing but I gave him a go initially. When he does things I like I give him credit for it.

In fact I was on the fence through 2016. But a shitty start to 2017 left me convinced he was shit.

Cleary was better. But not perfect. Elliott and Hook are about the same in my eyes. Elliott in his Raiders days was like Hook here.

Although I maintain Walsh was shit. Im convinced anyone could setup tries for kicks in that roster.

Last edited:

Black Magik

Juniors

Maybe this forum needs moderation to keep threads on topic like the good ol PI days. Bring back Puss and the other mods.

Reactions: Bob

mxlegend99

Referee
Off the top of my head:

I was initially excited about signing Elliott. That changed
I was initially optimistic Walsh would be good. That changed
I believed Masada Iosefa could be our own Robbie Farah. That changed
I thought Nathan Smith was terrible. But in 2010 he changed that opinion.

I have an opinion on how I think things will go. But if I am wrong I am happy to admit it. Especially if being wrong means Panthers are doing well.

Pomoz

Bench
Although I maintain Walsh was shit. Im convinced anyone could setup tries for kicks in that roster.
We agree twice in one comment. Walsh was awful, physically timid, terrible at spotting gaps and served up so many hospital passes to avoid being tackled I'm amazed a forward never punched his lights out after a drink. Meanwhile, Coote was so good at catching the ball that year and stealing it from right under the nose of the fullback like a thief in the night. His timing was something special that year. He never caught the ball like that again, the injuries seemed to affect him and he was never the same.

Considering the attacking weapons we had, it was pretty ordinary football though. Hit up, hit up etc. kick. I think Laurie Daley was inspired by it so much he got NSW to play just like it. Didn't work as well for them though.....

Fangs

Coach

Wasn't a fun year for me except for the odd game. We had no plan B and got bounced out in straight sets. That was the high water mark of Elliott's tenure and it wasn't very good.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I love it.

"Everyones so negative I'm leaving!!!"

"MX says something positive"

"OMG How dare you!"

#GriffinTintedGlasses.

Wow nothing like playing the person not the ball eh ?

If you think I have #griffintintedglasses............I have a bridge you might be interested in. Your comprehension skills need work. I think I've oft used the phrase 'AVERAGE" when describing griffin.

Status
Not open for further replies.